It was never made clear in IV, V, VI that 'Darth' was given to master and apprentice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@
This was only really told in the first 3 (I, II, III).

In ANH Obi-Wan says "A young pupil of mine named Darth Vader," he was pretty much implying that that was the students orginal name.

Kind of stupid, Obi-Wan should have talked about the Sith and bestowing the title of Darth through master and apprentice.

Traya
Well, I'm inclined to say that the title hadn't been thought of yet.

phillymax
Perhaps Obi-Wan doesn't want to tell Luke that "Darth Vader"'s real name is Anakin SKYWALKER just yet. That would've been pretty anti-climatic for Empire Strikes back.

Darth Vious
It's been pointed out that Obi-Wan could still have been using 'Darth' as a title when he adressed Vader in ANH, as Anakin refered to Dooku by title in RotS "My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count..."

Ushgarak
Or 'Captain' as in 'Captain Solo' for that matter. The title excuse is fine.

To directly reply to the thread title- you are right, no it wasn't. That's something GL adopted later, in another warning to EU authors that he will make his world as he sees fit, regardless of what others have said about it.

Alliance
"A young jedi named Anakin Skywalker...no relation to you of course...a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, hunted down and destroyed the Jedi Knights"

hmmm.... I say....

NO!
but you are correct in your observation.

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Or 'Captain' as in 'Captain Solo' for that matter. The title excuse is fine.

To directly reply to the thread title- you are right, no it wasn't. That's something GL adopted later, in another warning to EU authors that he will make his world as he sees fit, regardless of what others have said about it.

You think people would get this point by now.

Lucas likes to play make-believe when he says he had this all-encompassing plan for all six films. In reality, he just took each film as it came. He developed the story as he wrote each film. Period.

This much is obvious as Leia was not really Luke's sister until after EMPIRE. Early drafts of Empire show Luke's sister was someone else, being trained on the otherside of the galaxy.

So in Lucas' land of Make Believe, Darth is a title. In reality it was a really great marketing ploy used to enhance a rather two dimensional character in Episode 1, Darth Maul.....because Darth means Badass.

Tangible God
^Damn straight.

It's getting tiresome how some people are tearing apart the tiniest details of the movies. It may be due to lack of iron in the blood, but alot of 'em just can't comprehend the fact that these films were conceived of over some 30 years, it's not all right away.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Tangible God
^Damn straight.

It's getting tiresome how some people are tearing apart the tiniest details of the movies. It may be due to lack of iron in the blood, but alot of 'em just can't comprehend the fact that these films were conceived of over some 30 years, it's not all right away.

WORD

chinabing
You think people would get this point by now.

Well, I disagree. The assumption that everybody would know everything about the genesis of Star Wars "by now" is ridiculous. Star Wars is not American History where we start off indoctrinating school children with the explorers, pilgrims, planters, then founding fathers & presidents, etc. People find out things, especially on message boards, by asking questions. If everybody knew everything, we wouldn't have a heck of a lot to talk about. And due to the wide range in ages of people here, "getting it" takes time.

Lucas likes to play make-believe when he says he had this all-encompassing plan for all six films. In reality, he just took each film as it came. He developed the story as he wrote each film. Period.

He did have a plan, however it was in his head, which is still a plan. No one ever thought Lucas stood on the mountaintop and threw down the Star Wars scripts in stone tablets! I don't particularly care if Lucas changed the name of the 3rd stormtrooper on the left on the 4th page in the 2nd draft. The history of how Lucas came about his ideas, along with all the fake scripts on the web, is a mildly amusing sub-culture of Star Wars. But the fact remains I love what he did with those plans. In face, the one constant thing about Star Wars is change. Heck, even the movies change.

I like the fact he took it as it came to him and wasn't resigned to heeding dogmatic views, even if it was his dogma. If the ROTJ book says Owen is Ben's brother, and in the movies it's not, the movie wins, ain't too difficult. If Lucas changes his mind and decides there actually are eps. 7, 8 and 9, that's fine too. I can deal with it.

So in Lucas' land of Make Believe, Darth is a title. In reality it was a really great marketing ploy used to enhance a rather two dimensional character in Episode 1, Darth Maul.....because Darth means Badass.

...And there's something wrong with being a great marketing ploy? Darth Maul was a fine villain, not one of a lot of consequence, but not all villains are as deep as Vader in the continuum of villainy. There was a KMC poll a while back and Mr. Maul won Best Secondary Villain. Darth being "just a title" just ain't so, because when we found out about this title, it added dimension to Vader's name unknown before. And that's cool too.

Tarvos
Originally posted by chinabing
Well, I disagree. The assumption that everybody would know everything about the genesis of Star Wars "by now" is ridiculous. Star Wars is not American History where we start off indoctrinating school children with the explorers, pilgrims, planters, then founding fathers & presidents, etc. People find out things, especially on message boards, by asking questions. If everybody knew everything, we wouldn't have a heck of a lot to talk about. And due to the wide range in ages of people here, "getting it" takes time.

He did have a plan, however it was in his head, which is still a plan. No one ever thought Lucas stood on the mountaintop and threw down the Star Wars scripts in stone tablets! I don't particularly care if Lucas changed the name of the 3rd stormtrooper on the left on the 4th page in the 2nd draft. The history of how Lucas came about his ideas, along with all the fake scripts on the web, is a mildly amusing sub-culture of Star Wars. But the fact remains I love what he did with those plans. In face, the one constant thing about Star Wars is change. Heck, even the movies change.

I like the fact he took it as it came to him and wasn't resigned to heeding dogmatic views, even if it was his dogma. If the ROTJ book says Owen is Ben's brother, and in the movies it's not, the movie wins, ain't too difficult. If Lucas changes his mind and decides there actually are eps. 7, 8 and 9, that's fine too. I can deal with it.

...And there's something wrong with being a great marketing ploy? Darth Maul was a fine villain, not one of a lot of consequence, but not all villains are as deep as Vader in the continuum of villainy. There was a KMC poll a while back and Mr. Maul won Best Secondary Villain. Darth being "just a title" just ain't so, because when we found out about this title, it added dimension to Vader's name unknown before. And that's cool too.

1. Did you even finish reading his post? He didn't say "Everyone would have to know everything about SW now", he said "Everyone should know not to care about the most trivial details like a whiny Luke Skywalker".

2. He did have to organize it, yes, but not go at the tiniest details that no one cares about.

Alliance
I like the Darth=badass interpretation. But look...

1.Lucas reserves the right to change his opinion, creating discontinuities.

2. Discussing continuities helps to flesh out the saga. Star Wars is an EPIC...there is plenty of room for interperlation, interpretation, extrapolation, and many other forms of intellectual debate.

Ripping apart every detail is perfectly acceptable and a great way to get a lot out of star wars...however too many threads have been created to answer discontinuity questions.

3. people make stupid comments sometimes and I think we need to a) ignore them or b) help them to make intelligent comments. Slamming them is immature and personally, annoying.

aj_vader
ye lucas just keeps changing and changing things lol, i can't keep up with the guy

nah George is cool, but i just think he tinkers with his work a bit too much, i think he should concentrate on doing something else, or just gettin on with the rest of his life, hes devoted himself to star wars, id just need a break from it all lol

Jedi Priestess
It IS his to tinker with all he wants.

Alliance
and then up to us to re-invent the logic behind it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.