GL ILM Layoffs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
Looks like AOTC didn't do as well as GL would of liked, apparantely ILM is laying off 100 people with more layoffs expected next week. Just saw it on the news.

yerssot
doesn't mean he'sn't happy

peluffo
Lucas MUST be angry!! The FX are BAD, even when he has been playing with alll those digital stuff.

-The droidekas are NOTORIOUSLY overprinted
-Both swoop scenes are EVIDENTLY added to a background
-THE JEDIS DONT MAKE FOOTSTEPS AT THE ARENA!!!!
I don't want to add more cause I'M PISSED OFF!!! mad

It is disgusting to see it on the theatre. I already did it 5 times, and I LOVE my bootleged VCD copy. There is less evident that they needed a year more to end it up well

LanceWindu
I'm guessing Pel is mad at ILM.

Tex
From the news story it said that it was due to financial reasons. Apparantely technology has gotten so good and cheap that most major studios are doing their own special effects.

PA_Skywalker
If I remember correctly in one of George Lucas interwies, he said that he didn't care about the Box Office numbers, that all he cared was about telling his story the way he wanted. I believe the movie has done very well with all the competion that came after, still no movie beside Spider Man has done more than one hundred million dollars at the weekend release. So I don't think George Lucas has to worry at all. Technology has gotten so good, that they need less people to do the job, so this is everywhere not just ILM. companies are letting people go because the less employees they have the less they have to pay. May company is doing the same thing, it use to take eight people to run the machines, now that we are computer to plate, it only takes three, so they are saving money. So I love the movie an I can't wait for the next one. rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

peluffo
The FX are bad and Lucas must let somebody else on Director's chair.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

LaurenE147
You said that in the wrong thread, pal.

LanceWindu
No he said it inresponse to what he said earlier.

ToMacco
I think Lucas should go back to costumes and models for effects.

Gundark
ILM isn't immune from layoffs anymore than say, Microsoft. It all depends on the economy.

Tex
Yup

I do miss those cheesy costumes from the old trilogy
Well looks like we'll be seeing those in Ep III, if things dont pick up big grin

CyberFelon
But, what you gotta remember is that if GL started Star Wars when computer graphics were at the level they're at now, he'd still pack it full of CGI. It's only because effects were limited back then, nothing more, imo. There's no "genuine" Star Wars, just whatever is the most advanced for the time.

LaurenE147
Or whatever they can come up with. The limits never seemed to bother GL in the OT.

Ushgarak
Well, as he says in interviww, the limits annoyed the hell out of him. What he did was a damn good job of rising above those limits.

LaurenE147
I take off my hat to him.

Tex
Just your hat?

*Austin Powers voice* Oh Behaaaave!!!!!!! laughing

yerssot
He was clever enough for ANH to start filming the ending

LaurenE147
Explain that to me again. The ending?

yerssot
hmm, I could have sworn I wrote more than that!

Well, he started filming the endbattle of ANH, because it was very expansive at the moment, they ordered him to cut down on things... no problemo, less backgroundpeople and a few less others things et voila, the end battle was still great

LaurenE147
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ushgarak
He was actually asked to stop originally at the escape from the Death Star.

LaurenE147
How dare they! What would we have done without the dogfight?

yerssot
should we tell her about the idea of making ANH a breakfast-serie

LaurenE147
what's a breakfast serie?

yerssot
well, didn't knew the english name so made it up...

basic idea is that they would cut the movie down in pieces of 20 minutes and show one part a day at 7 in the morning

mah
um...eh..no, dont think that's a good idea

yerssot
was an idea mah...30 years ago

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
it was!

Tex
I think this new trilogy would of made great breakfeast-series. evil face

mah
ah, tex roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
I guess he found it hard to let go of his Flash Gordon obsession...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.