Thanos vs Dr Manhattan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

R.O.T. Yahman
Now i know a lot of you have read the Watchmen and know how powerful this guy is. Can Thanos defeat him, or will nobody reply to this thread because its not about Marvel street level characters or the incredible Hulk. ? smile

who?-kid
We don't know enough about Dr. Manhattan - his powers were impressive, but not very well defined.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by who?-kid
We don't know enough about Dr. Manhattan - his powers were impressive, but not very well defined.

I believe his powers over matter manipulation are greater than Thanos's but i maybe wrong. smile

I suppose he could Teleport him into a Super massive Black Hole or a Quasar. I doubt even Thanos could survive in either of those. smile

the Darkone
Thanos has survive black hole, curse by death, two upgrades. Thanos will out think Dr. Manhatten, the watchmen was a good book.

Takion
Originally posted by the Darkone
Thanos has survive black hole, curse by death, two upgrades. Thanos will out think Dr. Manhatten, the watchmen was a good book.
Dr. Manhattan is omniscient and omnipotent. Thanos would be no problem to him.

TheKahn
Thanos has survive black hole, curse by death, two upgrades. Thanos will out think Dr. Manhattan, the watchmen was a good book.

I'm not sure if that is possible as towards the end of Watchmen, Jon began to experience time nonlinearly. Meaning that he would know what Thanos was going to do before Thanos does (assuming, of course, Dr. Manhattan chooses to act on this knowledge). And I think it was at least implied that at the end of Watchmen, Jon had reached godhood, literally

I'd go with Dr. Manhattan 10/10 (although he doesn't have nearly as many feats)

who?-kid
How can you out think an opponent who can, in a way, predict the future ? Dr. Manhattan seemed to live in the past, present and future at the same time.

R.O.T. Yahman

Supermassive balck holes arent your run of the mill planet destroying black holes, they literally hold galaxies together. Its like comparing a anti tank shell with a meagaton nuclear war head. I doubt Thanos could get out of a Super massive black hole. smile

the Darkone
He has, so there goes your arguement.

LordKaos
Sorry got so caught up in a galactus thread i didn't pay attention to this one, so if you read the crap i posted before i made an edit TS! no really i really wasn't paying attention embarrasment

roughrider
Originally posted by Takion
Dr. Manhattan is omniscient and omnipotent. Thanos would be no problem to him.

Yes, that's a major difference there. The only thing about Jon is, even though he can see the future coming, he hardly acts on his knowledge and goes with the flow instead. He'd let things happen to him as an experiment, because he is even harder to kill than Thanos, probably. His mind is preoccupied with such larger matters, it's not easy to motivate him to fight. But, with that motivation, he could defeat Thanos more often than not.

manjaro
oh no not this thead again!!!! the doc baby

Mider
the point is he'd know thanos every move if he saw a totally live threatning thing comming i would hope he didnt let thanos get away with it, and no galaxy holding black holes thanos would not servive it, your thinking smaller black holes there is a diffrence, anyway thanos loses this sorry.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Mider
the point is he'd know thanos every move if he saw a totally live threatning thing comming i would hope he didnt let thanos get away with it, and no galaxy holding black holes thanos would not servive it, your thinking smaller black holes there is a diffrence, anyway thanos loses this sorry. Its funny how you seem to post in every single Thanos thread just to bash him.

Acrosurge
the point is he'd know thanos every move if he saw a totally live threatning thing comming i would hope he didnt let thanos get away with it, and no galaxy holding black holes thanos would not servive it, your thinking smaller black holes there is a diffrence, anyway thanos loses this sorry. And yet, Dr. Manhattan wound up being manipulated by Adrian Veidt. He did exactly as Veidt wanted him to; he joined his point of view, in the end. Thanos's intellect far exceeds Veidt's. The Mad Titan is more than capable of bending Jon's will to his own.

I should mention that Dr. Manhattan is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. He could experience time nonlinearly, but he was still interpretting what he experienced through a basic, human intellect. Thanos has beaten beings with vastly more powerful intellects.

Dr. Manhattan is a lightweight in comparison to Thanos.

Grimm22
Dr. Manhatten kicks Thanos ass while finding a cure for cancer stick out tongue

Is it just me or did anyone else not understand Watchmen?? confused

Seriously i've read it like 3 times and I still dont get it.

Same with COIE

who?-kid
Doc. Manhattan had, as far as I know, complete or almost complete control over molecules and atoms. Basically, he could turn a gun into a flower and so.

He could also teleport wherever he wanted, and it's well in his possibilities to teleport Thanos to the heart of a sun. Doc. Manhattan had also super human strength, could turn himself into a giant, could see into the future, is nearly impossible to kill and is also very smart. Oh, he could also duplicate himself.

The reason Adrian manipulated him, was because he was planning it for a loooong time and because he knew Manhattan like the palm of his hand and because he was messing with Manhattans head so he couldn't see the future anymore.

But still, in the end Adrian failed.

(I read somewhere that there exists a theory that Doc. Manhattan, who left Earth to create a new mankind, would be "The Source" of the DC universe. This is of course nonsense, but it tells us something about his powers.)

who?-kid
Originally posted by Grimm22
Dr. Manhatten kicks Thanos ass while finding a cure for cancer stick out tongue

Is it just me or did anyone else not understand Watchmen?? confused

Seriously i've read it like 3 times and I still dont get it.

Same with COIE
What exactly you don't understand ?

Grimm22
What exactly you don't understand ?

I dont know.

I guess the ending no expression

TheBadguy
Jesus 10/10

who?-kid
I dont know.

I guess the ending no expression
You have to be more specific if you want me to help you.

And the ending... well I thought it was great and sad at the same time. It was not a happy ending, but there was a little bit of hope that the bad guy would still end up behind bars : remember Rohrschahs diary. We'll never know if it has been published or not.

who?-kid
For those who don't know him : this is Doc Manhattan

Mr Master
Originally posted by Acrosurge
And yet, Dr. Manhattan wound up being manipulated by Adrian Veidt. He did exactly as Veidt wanted him to; he joined his point of view, in the end.

Dr Manhattan was being affected by tachyons when he was fooled by Adrien, He clearly said "These TACHYONS, they're muddling things up..", they did however only slightly affect his mind, but not his power.

Manhattan can rearrange matter and energy in any way he wished, apparently control time and the end of the series suggest he can create humans/life, which would then catapult him into the hierarchy of even mainstream companies.

manjaro
yeah i remember him at the end quipping casually to himslef that he "might" create some life. like ...meh...maybe i'll create some life

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Mr Master
Dr Manhattan was being affected by tachyons when he was fooled by Adrien, He clearly said "These TACHYONS, they're muddling things up..", they did however only slightly affect his mind, but not his power.

Manhattan can rearrange matter and energy in any way he wished, apparently control time and the end of the series suggest he can create humans/life, which would then catapult him into the hierarchy of even mainstream companies. Manhattan is powerful in the Watchman universe, I give him that, however he has never matched his powers against other matter/energy manipulators, or even against actual, super-powered beings. This casts him into the same boat as Sentry as far as judging how his power stacks up against others.

Create life? The Silver Surfer has done that. See past, present, and future? Both Surfer and Genis can do that and its never helped them against Thanos. If Manhattan sends Thanos somewhere, the Mad Titan can teleport right back. Thanos has total control over his mind, soul, and body, so in my opinion, there's nothing Dr. Manhattan could do to harm him.

Grimm22
You have to be more specific if you want me to help you.

And the ending... well I thought it was great and sad at the same time. It was not a happy ending, but there was a little bit of hope that the bad guy would still end up behind bars : remember Rohrschahs diary. We'll never know if it has been published or not.

Yeah I never understood what was so special about the diary? no expression

Mider
actually it doesnt cast him into the same boat, he is said to be able to make other beings and his powers are to a limit explained, and even sentry is not to be laughed at.

Thanos_6383
I know next to nothing about Dr Manhatten.So I can't say who will win.

roughrider
Originally posted by Thanos_6383
I know next to nothing about Dr Manhatten.So I can't say who will win.

All right, a quick refresher for everyone. It has been 20 years since we saw the Doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Manhattan

who?-kid
Yeah I never understood what was so special about the diary? no expression
Well, in the diary Rohrschah (I hate that name ! I don't know how to write it and I am too lazy to look it up) wrote everything down he knew, including the fact that Adrian Veidt is the evil mastermind.

Before the left, Rohrschah sent his diary to a paper, because he had a feeling he wouldn't survive it. If he died, the diary with a lot of answers in it still could be published by the same paper.

I hope this helped you.

Grimm22
Well, in the diary Rohrschah (I hate that name ! I don't know how to write it and I am too lazy to look it up) wrote everything down he knew, including the fact that Adrian Veidt is the evil mastermind.

Before the left, Rohrschah sent his diary to a paper, because he had a feeling he wouldn't survive it. If he died, the diary with a lot of answers in it still could be published by the same paper.

I hope this helped you.

Kind of erm

I still dont get why its such a well reknown book though, I mean I liked it and all but it wasnt exactly the greatest superhero story ever told or anything like that stick out tongue

Acrosurge
actually it doesnt cast him into the same boat, he is said to be able to make other beings and his powers are to a limit explained, and even sentry is not to be laughed at. ... his powers are explained, but his limits were not tested. He never overcame any true superhumans. He's never fought beings with similar molecular control. There's no proof that his powers in that regard are even beyond the Silver Surfer, Firestorm, a GL, or Captain Atom, let alone Thanos.

In that regard, Dr. Manhatten is identical to Sentry. We simply don't know how strong he is because all he's had to test his limits have been normal humans and Earth based technology.

who?-kid
Kind of erm

I still dont get why its such a well reknown book though, I mean I liked it and all but it wasnt exactly the greatest superhero story ever told or anything like that stick out tongue
Well, we are of course entitled to our own opinion. But imo, it was, together with The Dark Knight Returns, Marvels, The Killing Joke and Batman Year One one of the best comics ever.

Watchmen was very influential, because it was one of the first superhero comics in which characters could cry, or betray, or have sex, or were unable to stop the evil scheme of the villain.

Don't forget it's 20 years old, lots has happened since, these days we are used to cynic super heroes and occasionally a not so good ending. Back then, it was simply not done.

who?-kid
Originally posted by Acrosurge
... his powers are explained, but his limits were not tested. He never overcame any true superhumans. He's never fought beings with similar molecular control. There's no proof that his powers in that regard are even beyond the Silver Surfer, Firestorm, a GL, or Captain Atom, let alone Thanos.

In that regard, Dr. Manhatten is identical to Sentry. We simply don't know how strong he is because all he's had to test his limits have been normal humans and Earth based technology.
You have a point.

But that doesn't make Manhattan less dangerous. I consider him like a (mini) Molecule Man with super strength, who can duplicate himself, who can turn himself into a giant, who can teleport himself and others to where he wants and who is very hard to kill.

That's why he has a good chance against Thanos.

Mider
in the comic wasnt he stated to be able to make his own beings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.