Choosing A Religion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Super Villan
I haven't really been into religion for most of my life. If I was to start from scratch how would you describe to me the religion you think is true path to heaven?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Super Villan
I haven't really been into religion for most of my life. If I was to start from scratch how would you describe to me the religion you think is true path to heaven?

There is no true path to heaven. Heaven is not a place you go after you die. Heaven is a state of mind that you can have any time you wish too. All you have to do is free your mind from the chains of life that have been placed upon you.

Punker69
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
There is no true path to heaven. Heaven is not a place you go after you die. Heaven is a state of mind that you can have any time you wish too. All you have to do is free your mind from the chains of life that have been placed upon you.

blink

So heaven is a state of mind? What do you experience in this state of mind? What are the chains in my life? How would I be able to free myself of those chains?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Punker69
blink

So heaven is a state of mind? What do you experience in this state of mind? What are the chains in my life? How would I be able to free myself of those chains? well, heaven only exists in human thought. There is no place.

Punker69
Did that answer any of my questions?

Shakyamunison
blink

So heaven is a state of mind? What do you experience in this state of mind? What are the chains in my life? How would I be able to free myself of those chains?

It is not that simple. You could start learning now, and continue for all of your life.

"the chains in my life" there are many:

The idea that other people are to blame for your life.
The idea that you are evil at your basic nature.
The idea that you need to be saved from something.
The dilution that there is a reword at the end of life.
The dilution that you can be separated from God.
The dilution that the bible is a book of fact.
I could go on...

Super Villan
so what are point of view are you stating this from?

Are you with a certain religious group or are you just stating simply what you philosophically believe?

Shakyamunison
so what are point of view are you stating this from?

Are you with a certain religious group or are you just stating simply what you philosophically believe?

I am a Nichiren Buddhist.

http://www.sgi.org/english/Buddhism/nichiren.htm

Jonathan Mark
You could ask 10 different people this question and get 10 different answers...

Storm
If you feel a certain religion is right for you, then pursue it. You can always change your thoughts and beliefs as you learn more and grow.

When it comes to heaven and hell... the mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of hell, and a hell of heaven.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
You could ask 10 different people this question and get 10 different answers... true, IMO people don't need religion, it's corrupt and dangerous. We'd be better off without it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lord xyz
true, IMO people don't need religion, it's corrupt and dangerous. We'd be better off without it.

We will never be without religion, and the reason for it being corrupt and dangerous is all of our fault.

Eis
true, IMO people don't need religion, it's corrupt and dangerous. We'd be better off without it.
With no religion, then there is no sense of good or bad. What's stopping anyone from stealing a gun and shooting you?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Eis
With no religion, then there is no sense of good or bad. What's stopping anyone from stealing a gun and shooting you?

Laws...

lord xyz
We will never be without religion, and the reason for it being corrupt and dangerous is all of our fault. not our fault. Not everyone is bad because you can't even defy bad. The only way to defy everyone is different. Good and evil are beliefs. I don't like religion because it's a controlled belief. As in, it's fixed and can't determine anything. Philosphy however, is open minded and isn't fixed. That's why I like philosophy but not religion.

Storm
Originally posted by Eis
With no religion, then there is no sense of good or bad. What's stopping anyone from stealing a gun and shooting you? Morality doesn' t require religion.

Shakyamunison
not our fault. Not everyone is bad because you can't even defy bad. The only way to defy everyone is different. Good and evil are beliefs. I don't like religion because it's a controlled belief. As in, it's fixed and can't determine anything. Philosphy however, is open minded and isn't fixed. That's why I like philosophy but not religion.

The only way to truly change something is to first accept responsibility.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Eis
With no religion, then there is no sense of good or bad. What's stopping anyone from stealing a gun and shooting you? so, rather than make the decisions ourselves, we have to be told what's right and wrong? Even though both are concepts and aren't really something that can be defined.

Super Villan
but isn't that the whole idea of growing spiritually and adapting to the religion that best suits your own personal beliefs?

OR

Would it be wrong to bounce from church to church absorbing the knowledge and collaborating the ideas?

lord xyz
The only way to truly change something is to first accept responsibility. So I have to look what will happen if religion is gone? I do...

I see acceptance.

Shakyamunison
but isn't that the whole idea of growing spiritually and adapting to the religion that best suits your own personal beliefs?

OR

Would it be wrong to bounce from church to church absorbing the knowledge and collaborating the ideas?

Spiritual growth is paramount, and you don't need a religion for that, but there are ones that can help.

Storm

OR

I believe that creating your own personal path from 2 (or more) different religions is perfectly fine.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Storm
I believe that creating your own personal path from 2 (or more) different religions is perfectly fine. agreed

Punker69
I believe that creating your own personal path from 2 (or more) different religions is perfectly fine.

Thats just stupid. Considering how most if not all religons of today contradict each other greatly at some point.

Can I be a Christian and a Satanist at the same time? An Athiest and a Islamic simultaneously? No. Its safer to choose one and devout your life to it than to choose two and just be wrong all together.

lord xyz
Thats just stupid. Considering how most if not all religons of today contradict each other greatly at some point.

Can I be a Christian and a Satanist at the same time? An Athiest and a Islamic simultaneously? No. Its safer to choose one and devout your life to it than to choose two and just be wrong all together. satanist? huh does not compute. raver

and you miss what storm said. Storm says tro choose a personal path. A personal path is not about which religion you follow. It's what you choose and believe.

Punker69
No, I understand what she said. Basically choosing qualities from two or more religions in attempt to create a customized path to follow. In the end it just doesn't "compute" at all.

Shakyamunison
No, I understand what she said. Basically choosing qualities from two or more religions in attempt to create a customized path to follow. In the end it just doesn't "compute" at all.

Maybe to you, but you have never studied any other religion. So how would you know?

lord xyz
No, I understand what she said. Basically choosing qualities from two or more religions in attempt to create a customized path to follow. In the end it just doesn't "compute" at all. well, Christian, Jew, and Muslim all say not to kill, be good, love god, things like that. So you get the idea. It's what religions say in general. That's what can be called, 'holy'.

Punker69
I never said i've never studied other religions. I said I dont believe in it. I've done it before I figured out it isn't something I should be involved in right now. I've studied Satananism and the occult. So I know that Chrisitianity and Satanism dont compute.

Besides, I dont need to do an in-depth study of every religon to know that they contradict each other at some point. Some religions worship one god and another worships another god so how can you be both at the same time? Some religions require certain life-styles to be met in or to obtain the big prize at the end and every lifestyle for relgions differ. So how can you follow two? Or even think about aquiring to different traits from each and think your on the right path?

Punker69
well, Christian, Jew, and Muslim all say not to kill, be good, love god, things like that. So you get the idea. It's what religions say in general. That's what can be called, 'holy'.

But your missing the big picture all together. Sure those things are all great but what does it accomplish when in the end Christians worship Jesus, Jews believe their Messiah is yet to come, and Muslim worship Allah. Those guidlines where given based on what the main poncho had to say and if you dont even believe in one of the gods then why would you follow anything else he had to say. Also, why would you follow those things that are easy but not folloy many of the other more important things that actually will conclude where you might spend eternity.

lord xyz
I never said i've never studied other religions. I said I dont believe in it. I've done it before I figured out it isn't something I should be involved in right now. I've studied Satananism and the occult. So I know that Chrisitianity and Satanism dont compute.

Besides, I dont need to do an in-depth study of every religon to know that they contradict each other at some point. Some religions worship one god and another worships another god so how can you be both at the same time? Some religions require certain life-styles to be met in or to obtain the big prize at the end and every lifestyle for relgions differ. So how can you follow two? Or even think about aquiring to different traits from each and think your on the right path? what is this "satanism"?

Punker69
Google it.

lord xyz
Google it. I'd rather use Wiki. wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism it says satanists are those who believe in the devil and evil. It also says it's a philosophy. Philosophy isn't a religion.

Storm

Can I be a Christian and a Satanist at the same time? An Athiest and a Islamic simultaneously? No. Its safer to choose one and devout your life to it than to choose two and just be wrong all together.
I have always respected your beliefs, and I' m rather getting fed up with you calling anything that' s not right up your street stupid.

Punker69
People have different views of what Satanism is. I've heard people who used to worship Satan and where deep in the occult (Satanish meetings, sacrifices, demons etc..) call themselves Satanist. And then there are the people that just believe in this being and call themselves Satanist.

Punker69
I have always respected your beliefs, and I' m rather getting fed up with you calling anything that' s not right up your street stupid.

What else do you think it is? I have no problem with people believing something different than what I believe and I almost never call it stupid unless it plainly is. And creating your own customized religion based on different rules and guidlines you choose to follow from various relgions is just bogus. Choose one. You'd be alot more safer. But just going through the standards and guidelines of todays religions and choosing what you aren't and are not going to follow from each and combining it into your own faith is just dumb.

lord xyz
People have different views of what Satanism is. I've heard people who used to worship Satan and where deep in the occult (Satanish meetings, sacrifices, demons etc..) call themselves Satanist. And then there are the people that just believe in this being and call themselves Satanist. erm I'm not sure. Is it a 'religion' or is it a philosophy?

Shakyamunison
What else do you think it is? I have no problem with people believing something different than what I believe and I almost never call it stupid unless it plainly is. And creating your own customized religion based on different rules and guidlines you choose to follow from various relgions is just bogus. Choose one. You'd be alot more safer. But just going through the standards and guidelines of todays religions and choosing what you aren't and are not going to follow from each and combining it into your own faith is just dumb.

Your post gives it way, you are in your religion for safety. I am sorry.

I am in my religion for happiness.

debbiejo
I haven't really been into religion for most of my life. If I was to start from scratch how would you describe to me the religion you think is true path to heaven? Religions really don't matter IMO...we all go back to where we came from...........we are eternal since we are all energy as in quantum sciences........so don't fret....It doesn't matter.....What counts is how you treat other people...

Punker69
Your post gives it way, you are in your religion for safety. I am sorry.

I am in my religion for happiness.

Im not in religion for safety. Its not even a religion to me. Its a personal relationship with God that I love having.

I said "safer" because I was trying to relate with her as I do most often when im discussing another religion and what not.

Storm
Conclusion, a person deciding to believe in a god because it is the choice that offers the most benefits and least dangers. I hope the god in question does not mind that you believe in it merely in order to gain entrance to heaven and/or to avoid punishment in hell.

Punker69
Conclusion, a person deciding to believe in a god because it is the choice that offers the most benefits and least dangers. I hope the god in question does not mind that you believe in it merely in order to gain entrance to heaven and/or to avoid punishment in hell.

Thats not why I believe in God. I mentioned "safer" because I was trying to get you to see why your veiw couldn't possibly be right.

lord xyz
we shouldn't choose a religion. Be neutral! big grin Neutral is the best thing ever. That's why my favourite colour is green.

Punker69
blink

lord xyz
blink we don't need religion. It's bullshit.

Punker69
But why is your favorite color green because of it?

lord xyz
But why is your favorite color green because of it? red=negative, evil, thin
blue=posotive, good, thick
green=neutral

remember the rainbow and pigmint? Green's in the middle.

Shakyamunison
red=negative, evil, thin
blue=posotive, good, thick
green=neutral

remember the rainbow and pigmint? Green's in the middle.

laughing

As long as you are happy.

JacopeX
we don't need religion. It's bullshit. as a catholic, i strongly disagree

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JacopeX
as a catholic, i strongly disagree

And as a Buddhist, I would understand. big grin

lord xyz
as a catholic, i strongly disagree there is no proof or evidence that suggests anything in the bible is true. Is there a god? No. As far as I know, the proof of god and the things god does is everything we can't explain yet. Why is that?

JacopeX
Wait, I have a qustion, what do you belive. I mean with dying and ressurecting as anoother person? Or am I wrong?

debbiejo
Actually Green would refer to spring and healing and growth... smart

JacopeX
there is no proof or evidence that suggests anything in the bible is true. Is there a god? No. As far as I know, the proof of god and the things god does is everything we can't explain yet. Why is that? Yea here we go, i can predict what your gonna say after my posts. If you have faith for what you belive, theres no problem wit it. How do we know its true? Belive. I belive in god and I belive in all the things in the bible. I just started learning about the bible, but yea i agree, the old testamentr i pretty odd. I myself am tryin to see the truth about it. It could proably be a made up story to teach us all the good deed lessons in life. Jesus christ was not black! lol sorry jus had to get that out of my chest. The new testamnet is all true. I belive he was nailed into his plam. There were ropes to suppoirt his arms and he was standing on a board. As I learn more about the bible, ill proably be able to explain ma self betta iight.

lord xyz
Originally posted by debbiejo
Actually Green would refer to spring and healing and growth... smart or you could say

blue=heaven
green=earth/limbo/purgatory
red=hell

Yea here we go, i can predict what your gonna say after my posts. If you have faith for what you belive, theres no problem wit it. How do we know its true? Belive. I belive in god and I belive in all the things in the bible. I just started learning about the bible, but yea i agree, the old testamentr i pretty odd. I myself am tryin to see the truth about it. It could proably be a made up story to teach us all the good deed lessons in life. Jesus christ was not black! lol sorry jus had to get that out of my chest. The new testamnet is all true. I belive he was nailed into his plam. There were ropes to suppoirt his arms and he was standing on a board. As I learn more about the bible, ill proably be able to explain ma self betta iight. ermm, belief is okay wink Jesus had dark skin. The bible was made-up. Anything else that could of happened at roughly the same time of a bible event is completely coincidence. Now, I don't want to bash you Jacope because I've known you too long, but tghe bible is nothing more than a story book.

Storm
Thats not why I believe in God. I mentioned "safer" because I was trying to get you to see why your veiw couldn't possibly be right.
Who are you to claim that which suits the spiritual needs of some people is wrong? If Jesus had only cared about being right, he would never have allowed himself to be crucified.

lord xyz
Who are you to claim that which suits the spiritual needs of some people is wrong? If Jesus had only cared about being right, he would never have allowed himself to be crucified. clap

debbiejo
Who are you to claim that which suits the spiritual needs of some people is wrong? If Jesus had only cared about being right, he would never have allowed himself to be crucified. Kinda stumped the message huh????

OH.......but we have heretic Paul who picked it right up again......blasphemer!!!

JacopeX
or you could say

blue=heaven
green=earth/limbo/purgatory
red=hell

ermm, belief is okay wink Jesus had dark skin. The bible was made-up. Anything else that could of happened at roughly the same time of a bible event is completely coincidence. Now, I don't want to bash you Jacope because I've known you too long, but tghe bible is nothing more than a story book. You should atleast thank us for praying for you.

Shakyamunison
You should atleast thank us for praying for you.

I do, and I pray for your happiness too.

Jonathan Mark
we don't need religion. It's bullshit.
There you go again being a dumbass...

Thank you for calling my personal beliefs "bullshit".

Super Villan
Everyone has a right to choose what they believe in although we all put up with such criticism from more cynical or skeptical people.

Other people don't always want to accept the fact that we have a choice and alot are scared because they DON'T UNDERSTAND or are SCARED.

Shakyamunison
Everyone has a right to choose what they believe in although we all put up with such criticism from more cynical or skeptical people.

Other people don't always want to accept the fact that we have a choice and alot are scared because they DON'T UNDERSTAND or are SCARED.

Why do I have the feeling, that you know more about this topic them your thread would lead me to believe? big grin

Super Villan
I'm simply putting out there that there are many religions out there with valid reasons to believe what they do and there are some border lining factors that others would put doubt in although there are shall we say "pros and cons" of each domination what would lead individuals to put their lives in the hands of certain beliefs.

In other words it's more of a psychological type question for appeasing my knowledge of how the many can justify what they believe and put their faith in.

Punker69
Who are you to claim that which suits the spiritual needs of some people is wrong? If Jesus had only cared about being right, he would never have allowed himself to be crucified.

Live any lifestyle you want to fit your "needs". Doesn't matter to me. But as far as religion goes you cant pick and choose what you are and are not going to follow with different religions and create your own customized mess.

Could you clarify what you said about Jesus?

peejayd

"If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God , or whether I speak of myself."
John 7:17

* see if the doctrine conforms with what Christ taught in the Bible... wink

lord xyz
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
There you go again being a dumbass...

Thank you for calling my personal beliefs "bullshit". you're welcome happy

Atlantis001

debbiejo
True Spirituality is different than religions in many ways, though some Christians feel they are spiritual if they follow all the rules, but real Spirituality is just connecting with what is or at least acknowledging it...

Punker69
True Spirituality is different than religions in many ways, though some Christians feel they are spiritual if they follow all the rules, but real Spirituality is just connecting with what is or at least acknowledging it...

True.

Spirituality or Holiness isn't following rules. Its being connected with Christ in accordance to the Bible.

debbiejo
You don't need a bible to do so....

Punker69
Yes you do.

debbiejo
How so?......I consider myself Spiritual.

Punker69
Nevermind.

I thought you where saying Christians didn't need the Bible to follow Christ.

debbiejo
And people that don't follow Christ that are Spiritual?

Punker69
They're spiritual too.

lord xyz
so if I was a christian, the bible is a 'must-have', when it comes to spirituality? blink huh ??? confused1

christians are peole just like non-christians.

Shakyamunison
so if I was a christian, the bible is a 'must-have', when it comes to spirituality? blink huh ??? #confused2#

christians are peole just like non-christians.

No they are not. Some non-Christians are not brainwashed.

lord xyz
No they are not. Some non-Christians are not brainwashed. laughing that's not what I meant. And not all christians are brain-washed. Eg. Protestants.

Spirituality-wise, they're the same. Some might think they need the bible, but it's them being delusional.

debbiejo
They're spiritual too. If Christians are spiritual and non christians are spiritual.......and spiritual meaning a connection to some source....Then non believers in Christ are connecting to what spirit???

Shakyamunison
If Christians are spiritual and non christians are spiritual.......and spiritual meaning a connection to some source....Then non believers in Christ are connecting to what spirit???

Satan laughing

Alliance
..according to Christians.

People are allowed to believe in other gods/the lack ther of.

To answer villian's question: Heavan is something peole made up to convince people that they would go to a better place after they die so they wouldn't wake up an realize what miserable lives they have. It was especialyl useful in the serfdom and with slavery, becasue it didn't matter how much backbreaking labor you did or how worthless you are...it'll get better. big grin

debbiejo
Satan laughing laughing out loud
That's who's been talkin to me?? eek!

Punker69
If Christians are spiritual and non christians are spiritual.......and spiritual meaning a connection to some source....Then non believers in Christ are connecting to what spirit???

I think you know what i'm refering to.

debbiejo
I sure do.......I just want you to say it........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

Punker69
Blah.

debbiejo
Come on.........come on say it!!!.......Say spiritual to the devil.... shifty

Shakyamunison
Come on.........come on say it!!!.......Say spiritual to the devil.... shifty

There is no devil. roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Punker is there a devil??

Punker69
Yes.

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
well it seems that u have a pre disposition to all religions with "heaven" there are a few so i would say first u should ask urself if u truly believe in these places of afterlife. after that then u should delve into the most suiting to ur beliefs.

as for me im a satanist/pagan, i do not define myself to a single religion because no religion contains all that i believe and disbelieve.

finding a religion from nothing is a quite daunting task so i wish u good luck.

debbiejo
People should delve into their beliefs anyway, just to know how they came to be and why they came to be. If they were manipulated or true...And people should also be prepared on what that task will bring them.

Lord Urizen
Punker69, specifically...I'm curious to know.

Who do you beleive is going to Hell ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.