Michael Mann Makes Marvelous Movies...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
With the up-coming release of 'Miami Vice', my brain decided it was time for a general KMC appraisal of his marvelous movies.

The only below-excellent movie he has made is 'Ali', and even that has some merit. The rest are filled with stunning imagery, haunting cinematography and perfectly suited muscial pieces: The music that accompanies the chase along the mountain ridge in 'The Last Of The Mohicans' is one of my favorite scores of all time. Add that to haunting 'wolf scene' that goes along to the tune of Shadow Of The Sun by Audioslave in 'Collateral', and you realise the guy is a master.

The earliest film of his that I have seen is 'Manhunter', so here's a list of my top 6:

The Last Of The Mohicans
Collateral
Heat
Manhunter
The Insider
Ali

Out of those movies, The Last Of The Mohicans is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Ever. Ever.

Anyway, who else is a fan, and what are your favorite movies and scenes of his?

Neo_Version 7
I thought Collateral was really cool.

When I first read the plot, I thought it wasn't going to take itself that seriously. However, the movie turned out to be really awesome. stick out tongue

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, it's a great movie. The only bit that clunked ever so slightly was the ending; if I'm being really critical, it just seemed a little melodramatic. I still forkin' loved the movie, though.

Here's one of the beautiful, final shots from 'The Last Of The Mohicans':

Neo_Version 7
I thought "The Last of the Mohicans" was great as well, but being as I'm young and my attention span is shit, I found it boring at parts.

The ending though at the cliff (with the confrontation with that chief dude) was amazing! stick out tongue

Dusty
Last of the Mohicans, almost no contest for me.

WrathfulDwarf
I like all his movies except Collateral. I just didn't like it...

I'm voting for Heat. I mean come on Robert Deniro and Al Pacino pointing guns at each other....you can't ask for more.

Looking forward to Miami Vice.

Solo
Collateral. Although, I hear Manhunter is amazing.

Not a fan of the Miami Vice series, but the film looks great.

C-Dic
"Manhunter" is far from amazing, IMO. Bad edits, silly characters, and no tension.

BackFire
Collateral for me.

Impediment
Heat and Last of the Mohicans.

DeVi| D0do
To be honest, Ali is one of the most boring films I've ever seen... Collateral was good though.

glenncerritos
HEAT was awesome!!! That's one of the best gunfights depicted on screen. Plus you got Deniro and Pacino.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hows abouts some favorite scenes, people?

Lord Shadow Z
The Last Of The Mohicans is the only one I've seen from those but even so it is one of my favourite films. Bought the soundtrack to it also-very moving music.

My favourite scene in it would have to be the end- it had a very strong ending and Wes Studi ( who played Magua) has to be one of the best screen villians.

C-Dic
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Jamie Foxx negotiating at the night club in "Collateral". Just how he flipped the "hardcore" switch, from cabbie to hitman before walking through the door.

WrathfulDwarf
The Last Of The Mohicans had one the best knife fight I ever seen on screen.

Heat....the bank robbery...nuff said.

Dusty
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

The ambush from The Last of the Mohicans. Fecking awesome.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The ridge scene at the end of 'The Last Of The Mohicans' is one of my favorite ever scenes. The ambush is great and so is the bit where Hawkeye says "Stay alive, I will find you!", when they are under the waterfall.

As for 'Heat', I love the shoot-out on the airfield and the cup of coffee moment between Pacino and De Niro.

On to 'Collateral', the one scene that stands out a mile is the wolf scene.

As for 'Miami Vice', from what I've seen of the trailers, the speed boat scene at sunset looks like it's going to be incredible.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oooo, yeah! I'm finally going to see Miami Vice tonight!

Solo
I'll probably movie hop to Miami Vice after seeing Little Miss Sunshine this Friday. Can't wait!

Anyway, finally got around to seeing Manhunter awhile back. It was alright, had a pretty ridiculous score. It was, however, a million times better than Red Dragon.

Myth
1. Heat
2. Manhunter
3. The Insider
4. Last of the Mohicans
5. Ali
6. Collateral

The rest I have not seen, but I'm assuming they'll at least be above Collateral for me. I did not like that one.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, Mann...I just got back from Miami Vice. It's easily the best movie I've seen this year. It was incredibly stylish and unbelievably cool. It was almost like seeing myself in movie-form.

Great movie. Farrell was excellent, and the drug king pin was more menacing and malevolent than any 'baddie' I've seen in the last few years.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Michael Mann Guardian Interview

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.