Odin Vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mider
So did Thanos stalemate Odin or not?

Mordum
Fo shizzle. At the end thanos got up and was ready to go again.

D-Block
key words got up that was no stalemate

Thanos_6383
Who knows what could have happened next.Thanos did look the worst for wear,but at least he stood up to a Skyfather.

D-Block
I like Thanos and he did standup to him but from what I saw he was losing bad.

Magee
The fact he was standing at the end (smoking albeit) is a good durability feat also considering Odin 1 hit SS.

Darksaint
What if the fight was outside Asgard?

supervenom
Without Gunir (or whatever it's called) I doubt Odin would have had such an advantage.

I think Odin got the best of Thanos though.

celestialdemon
The fact that he stood up was impressive, but no way did Thanos stalemate Odin. He was losing.

K Von Doom
Originally posted by D-Block
key words got up that was no stalemate

So once someone gets knocked down they lose?

supervenom
Originally posted by K Von Doom

Comparing the overrall fight and who got phased and who didn't. Wasn't a lost, just that Odin had control over the fight.

Now, I like Thanos more than Odin but it was clear who did the most damage.

K Von Doom
Originally posted by supervenom
Comparing the overrall fight and who got phased and who didn't. Wasn't a lost, just that Odin had control over the fight.

Now, I like Thanos more than Odin but it was clear who did the most damage.

True.

Although my interpretation of a stalemate is "no winner when the fight ends or is ended". Thanos did take a beating from Odin and from all indications, he would have lost if it had gone on much longer. But it was a stalemate nonetheless. Who knows, maybe Odin would have gotten so angry that he couldn't put Thanos down that he'd lose control and that would give Thanos the advantage. Thanos should lose a lot of his fights but he wethers the storm til he gets the upper hand (getting the Runner to talk instead of fight, fighting Champion just enough to make him mad and lose, conceding to the Surfer then backstabbing). Or not.

But it was a stalemate.

supervenom
True.

Although my interpretation of a stalemate is "no winner when the fight ends or is ended". Thanos did take a beating from Odin and from all indications, he would have lost if it had gone on much longer. But it was a stalemate nonetheless. Who knows, maybe Odin would have gotten so angry that he couldn't put Thanos down that he'd lose control and that would give Thanos the advantage. Thanos should lose a lot of his fights but he wethers the storm til he gets the upper hand (getting the Runner to talk instead of fight, fighting Champion just enough to make him mad and lose, conceding to the Surfer then backstabbing). Or not.

But it was a stalemate.

Good that you pointed that out. I remember reading the Champion one and he did just that. Even though Champion was significantly stronger and was about to break through, Thanos got him so mad that he used it against him.

My idea of a stalemate is where both parties get the best of each other, even though that may not be the correct definition. By all means though, no one won. However Thanos was the losing side, it could have turned based on Thanos' past battles.

Avalonofthewind
Odin.

I highly doubt that Odin was using anything near full power.
For example. Thor chased away Galactus with a godblast.

Odin>>>>Thor
Galactus>>>>>Thanos

Had the fight continued or had Odin gone full out, Thanos would have been a memory. It wasn't a stalemate, but "losing with class."

supervenom
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Odin.

I highly doubt that Odin was using anything near full power.
For example. Thor chased away Galactus with a godblast.

Odin>>>>Thor
Galactus>>>>>Thanos

Had the fight continued or had Odin gone full out, Thanos would have been a memory. It wasn't a stalemate, but "losing with class."

Exactly, maybe the trickster could have done something with that.

roughrider
The key is, Thanos never once had the advantage in that fight. Odin casually swatted away everything Thanos did. What Odin dished out, Thanos took hard. He kept getting up (painfully at the end), but that doesn't make it a stalemate if you can't hurt your opponent once.

And Jim Starlin wrote that confrontation, didn't he? Or Ron Marz. It was someone who respects Thanos power.

King KAM
Originally posted by roughrider
The key is, Thanos never once had the advantage in that fight. Odin casually swatted away everything Thanos did. What Odin dished out, Thanos took hard. He kept getting up (painfully at the end), but that doesn't make it a stalemate if you can't hurt your opponent once.

And Jim Starlin wrote that confrontation, didn't he? Or Ron Marz. It was someone who respects Thanos power. they key thing is that Odin was dishing out all that he had at thanos, he even pulled out the spears, and yet none of it had an effect on Thanos, ive seen plenty of fights where the guy who weathers to storm ends up winning simply because after a while the other guy gets winded and has nothing better to throw, Odin had nothing to put thanos down permanantly with, so i say tie.

General Kon-El
What happened after that fight? We all read the scans and saw it. But what happened after the ending?

The Fake Macoy
To be honest, I wouldn't say Odin was going all out, but he seemed to be giving it a fair bit of effort. It's a feat to say that Thanos survived that, but he was still clearly losing.

King KAM
Originally posted by The Fake Macoy
To be honest, I wouldn't say Odin was going all out, but he seemed to be giving it a fair bit of effort. It's a feat to say that Thanos survived that, but he was still clearly losing. he was losing, the first rounds in a fight that was set to go 12.....so did holyfield against tyson...

roughrider
Originally posted by King KAM
they key thing is that Odin was dishing out all that he had at thanos, he even pulled out the spears, and yet none of it had an effect on Thanos, ive seen plenty of fights where the guy who weathers to storm ends up winning simply because after a while the other guy gets winded and has nothing better to throw, Odin had nothing to put thanos down permanantly with, so i say tie.

No effect on Thanos? I've seen him take on multiple opponents at a time, and never looked as roughed up as he did against Odin. And Odin hadn't gone as far out as he could yet. He continued to stop the fight, and give Thanos chances to yield.

K Von Doom
Originally posted by The Fake Macoy
To be honest, I wouldn't say Odin was going all out, but he seemed to be giving it a fair bit of effort.

Odin saw Thanos had imprisoned Thor. I'd say he was giving more than a fair bit of effort.

King KAM
No effect on Thanos? I've seen him take on multiple opponents at a time, and never looked as roughed up as he did against Odin. And Odin hadn't gone as far out as he could yet. He continued to stop the fight, and give Thanos chances to yield. thanos suit was roughed up, but thanos himself had very little wear and tear on him....i feel like thanos was doing a great job on weathering the storm, and that if oding WITH the spear had little effect on him, than what else was odin gonna do?

supervenom
thanos suit was roughed up, but thanos himself had very little wear and tear on him....i feel like thanos was doing a great job on weathering the storm, and that if oding WITH the spear had little effect on him, than what else was odin gonna do?

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the suit as well.

Such as when Galactus shot Darkseid, only his suit was damaged but didn't look like it phased Darkseid.

celestialdemon
thanos suit was roughed up, but thanos himself had very little wear and tear on him....i feel like thanos was doing a great job on weathering the storm, and that if oding WITH the spear had little effect on him, than what else was odin gonna do?

Odin with the spear didn't have little effect on Thanos. Odin dropped him, and even though only his clothes were damaged and not his body, he still struggled to get up. Hell, Thor actually made Thanos bleed and all he did was smile. That says to me that he wasn't in good shape. On the flipside, Odin still looked fresh, unharmed, and was ready to go again. I think it's more important to ask what was Thanos going to do, because his attacks weren't hurting Odin.

King KAM
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Odin with the spear didn't have little effect on Thanos. Odin dropped him, and even though only his clothes were damaged and not his body, he still struggled to get up. Hell, Thor actually made Thanos bleed and all he did was smile. That says to me that he wasn't in good shape. On the flipside, Odin still looked fresh, unharmed, and was ready to go again. I think it's more important to ask what was Thanos going to do, because his attacks weren't hurting Odin. thanos didnt stuggle to get up....he stood straight up....

spideycarnage
since that battle took place in asguard, i give thanos madd credit, if odin was going all out would he killed the madd titan. but if it was taken place in a diffrent more nuetral plain, im not sure who would of won, but im still leaning towards ODIN.

King KAM
Originally posted by spideycarnage
since that battle took place in asguard, i give thanos madd credit, if odin was going all out would he killed the madd titan. but if it was taken place in a diffrent more nuetral plain, im not sure who would of won, but im still leaning towards ODIN. pulling out your sacred spear seems like your trying pretty hard to me, considering he was droppin bombs hard enough to KO the surfer in one

spideycarnage
pulling out your sacred spear seems like your trying pretty hard to me, considering he was droppin bombs hard enough to KO the surfer in one

yeah but we can comapair the spear to thors hammer, reguardless odon had full control of the match, odin was never backed agias the wall.. the shot that surfer was landed with was really nothing considering that thanos was blasting odin at the same time.

celestialdemon
thanos didnt stuggle to get up....he stood straight up....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4512666

This pic shows otherwise.

King KAM

This pic shows otherwise. looks fine to me

spideycarnage

This pic shows otherwise.
oding looks POed

King KAM
Originally posted by spideycarnage
oding looks POed he is...cuzz he juss got that ass embarassed

Tron
Here's what happened:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=318386&highlight=Odin+vs+Thanos

nimrod009
Definitely a stalemate. I think if the fight had gone on for longer, Thanos would have got in some decent attacks of his own. He took the best Odin had and was was still standing, not hugely perturbed by it all.

Excellent showing for Thanos in my opinion.

King KAM
Originally posted by nimrod009
Definitely a stalemate. I think if the fight had gone on for longer, Thanos would have got in some decent attacks of his own. He took the best Odin had and was was still standing, not hugely perturbed by it all.

Excellent showing for Thanos in my opinion. couldnt have said it better myself

Thanos_6383
Makes me wonder who else could have stood up after those attacks by Odin.

olympian
No stalemate there. Thanos looked impressive but Odin more. Stalemate implies equal terms and that one showed, Thanos isent Odin`s equal.

Hes going to last alot tho. Thats what he does after all.

nimrod009
Originally posted by olympian
Stalemate implies equal terms and that one showed, Thanos isent Odin`s equal.

Nope, stalemate implies there can be no victor. Even if the battle is completely one sided, if there's no means of achieving victory, this is a stalemate.

Go play some chess.

Anyhow, the scans clearly show Thanos taking Odin's best attacks. I think he could have recovered and given Odin some back, but it's pure opinion of course.

Mider
what would have happend if it had taken place outside of asgard?

roughrider

Excellent showing for Thanos in my opinion.

So - does that mean the first fight between Champion and the Thing was a stalemate? The Thing would later say Champion nearly killed him - and he did get beaten within an inch of his life. But because Ben was standing on wobbly legs, because he has such great heart, and Champion saluted him as a great opponent - that's a stalemate?

It's a parallel case right beside the Odin/Thanos fight. Thanos got up quickly after some early shots, but by the end it clearly shows him painfully rising to his feet. Why did it take so many panels for him to get up, if he wasn't struggling? It's a great endurance showing for Thanos that he got that far, but that's all it is.

nimrod009
So - does that mean the first fight between Champion and the Thing was a stalemate? The Thing would later say Champion nearly killed him - and he did get beaten within an inch of his life. But because Ben was standing on wobbly legs, because he has such great heart, and Champion saluted him as a great opponent - that's a stalemate?

That's a good point you raise.

I guess it's open to interpretation - my reading of it was that Thanos still had plenty more to give, but that's just my opinion as stated earlier.

celestialdemon

olympian
"Nope, stalemate implies there can be no victor. Even if the battle is completely one sided, if there's no means of achieving victory, this is a stalemate."

If its completely one side, then it means whoever is on the low its holding its own against whoever is beating him/looking better.

celestialdemon
looks fine to me

Then why take so many pics showing him getting up? The whole point was to show Thanos' resilience in getting up even though he was hurt. Otherwise, there was no point in the multiple pics.

R.O.T. Yahman
I'm going to disagree with everyone and say that if thanos used all his available tech, he could beat Odin. Odin Force durability is overrated, and i think Thanos could withstand the immense, adamantium melting punishment being dished out, if he used the shields that protected him against Galactus, in his recent mini. smile

Acrosurge
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
I'm going to disagree with everyone and say that if thanos used all his available tech, he could beat Odin. Odin Force durability is overrated, and i think Thanos could withstand the immense, adamantium melting punishment being dished out, if he used the shields that protected him against Galactus, in his recent mini. smile Thanos could at least last a while with tech like the kind he used against Galactus.

roughrider
Originally posted by Acrosurge
Thanos could at least last a while with tech like the kind he used against Galactus.

Tech which only gave him short-lived protection, until he could get Galactus to listen to him.

I believe the unwritten yet understood rule in comics is, when two beings of vast power meet one another, Magic/Divine power trumps Science-Based power. Yes?

R.O.T. Yahman
Tech which only gave him short-lived protection, until he could get Galactus to listen to him.

I believe the unwritten yet understood rule in comics is, when two beings of vast power meet one another, Magic/Divine power trumps Science-Based power. Yes?

Interesting , yes i agree.

But I don't think the Odin Force could replicate the power unleashed at Thanos ,by Galactus. smile

aliveinboston
That's a good point you raise.

I guess it's open to interpretation - my reading of it was that Thanos still had plenty more to give, but that's just my opinion as stated earlier.

Thanos is a fighter but it was painfully obvious that he simply was not in the same class as Odin. Odin was being nice and giving Thanos a chance to give up. Thanos, using his control of his own molecules, gradually healed himself and stood up, but there can be no doubt that he was fried to a crisp while Odin looked zestfully clean and winterfresh. If Odin had not taken pity and stopped it would have taken Thanos a lot (A LOT) longer to reform himself. But Kudos to Thanos, he got slapped around and deep fried but still had the guts to stand up again in the face of overwhleming power.

kgkg
Odin was trying to K.O thanos in that battle.

But failed.......... But Thanos couldn't mount any offensive attack against a stronger enemy.

Although Odin did acknowledge the infite power reservoir thanos can draw his powers from.

aliveinboston
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Interesting , yes i agree.

But I don't think the Odin Force could replicate the power unleashed at Thanos ,by Galactus. smile

It could exceed it by a good margin. Even Galactus could blast Thanos with more power than he did if he really wanted to.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by aliveinboston
It could exceed it by a good margin. Even Galactus could blast Thanos with more power than he did if he really wanted to.

Ehhh .... confused

aliveinboston
Originally posted by kgkg
Odin was trying to K.O thanos in that battle.

But failed.......... But Thanos couldn't mount any offensive attack against a stronger enemy.

Although Odin did acknowledge the infite power reservoir thanos can draw his powers from.

Odin gave Thanos a chance to back down with dignity. He did say Thanos has access to an infinite reservoir of power but that doesnt mean Thanos has the ability to channel much of it. In fact, he is quite limited in his ability, which is why he couldnt so much as burn a single hair on Odin's beard. Odin on the other hand has destroyed and created entire galaxies without much effort. But using the Odin Force (his infinite reservoir) leaves him tired.

roughrider
I agree Galactus and the Celestials are on a higher level cosmically, than the pantheon of Earth's Skyfathers - science-based might or not. That's why Asgard & Olympus made their alliance against the Celestials thousands of years ago, to collectively resist another invasion.

aliveinboston
I agree Galactus and the Celestials are on a higher level cosmically, than the pantheon of Earth's Skyfathers - science-based might or not. That's why Asgard & Olympus made their alliance against the Celestials thousands of years ago, to collectively resist another invasion.

The Sky Fathers arent as powerful as the Celestials (this was a change from earlier writing by Lee/Kirby) but Galactus can't handle even one skyfather, let alone the entire pantheon. In the original conception, Odin really was all-powerful. For whatever reason, perphaps to be more "modern" and appeal to a new audience, Marvel had mechanical looking creatures like the Celestials come in and take over the God role.

the Darkone
Galactus will smoke a skyfather, dude What the f**k? are you talking about.

aliveinboston
Originally posted by the Darkone
Galactus will smoke a skyfather, dude What the f**k? are you talking about.

He has tried and failed. He can't even beat Ego the Living planet and got his butt whipped by Ego Prime, neither of which are nearly as powerful as Odin.

roughrider
Galactus can't handle one Skyfather, alone?
I'm not sure about that...

They don't have an acknowledged pecking order in the pantheon, but others seem to defer to Odin as a leader; even Zeus.

the Darkone
Ego=Normal Galactus, Odin is powerful in his own realm but doesn't mean he can't be beat by a more powerful being. Galactus was devouring Mephisto realm and Mephisto is more powerful than Odin, Ego is like other elders banned from deaths realm so he is more durable then before. Normal Galactus =Ego <<<<< Full powered Galactus, Odin will beat Thanos regardless but it will not be a walk in the park for either of them. Thanos might win a couple that it, in asgard for get Thanos doesn't have a chance in hell outside of asgard a better chance.

Crease
Originally posted by Mider
what would have happend if it had taken place outside of asgard?

Outside of Asgard and w/o Gungnir, either Thanos opens up a can of whoop ass or they stalemate...again. Inside Asgard odin's not only more powerful but also omniscient. Outside he'd be about equivalent to Grandmaster.

leonidas
Originally posted by Crease
Outside of Asgard and w/o Gungnir, either Thanos opens up a can of whoop ass or they stalemate...again. Inside Asgard odin's not only more powerful but also omniscient. Outside he'd be about equivalent to Grandmaster.

proof? where has it ever been shown odin is more powerful in asgard?

aliveinboston
Originally posted by Magee
The fact he was standing at the end (smoking albeit) is a good durability feat also considering Odin 1 hit SS.

He was on the ground and smoking. His body was clearly in a bad shape. Thanos can heal himself from these kinds of injuries and thats exactly what he did although it took a while and only happened because Odin stopped and asked him if he was ready to give up. Given that Thanos was practically face down when Odin decided to be merciful and stop how can anyone possibly interpret this as a stalemate? A stalemate is when neither party can gain an advantage. Odin had the advantage and then some. And he hadn't even tapped into the full Odin Power which can effortlessly take out entire galaxies. In comparison Thanos, Thor, etc. are insects.

aliveinboston
Originally posted by leonidas
proof? where has it ever been shown odin is more powerful in asgard?

Odin's greatest feats are outside asgard.

Soujaboy
As much as I love Thanos he loses this battle. In his fight with Odin he clearly displayed great durability, but he also displayed that he was outclassed. Yes he stood up after being beat down countless times, but Odin had the upper hand throughout the fight.

Odin 8/10

Mider
so would thanos have done better if the fight had been out of asgard?

Thanos_6383
Yes,Thanos was on the losing end of that fight.It wasn't a stalemate IMO

roughrider
Originally posted by aliveinboston
Odin's greatest feats are outside asgard.

I don't know of any serious feats Odin has outside of Asgard, or the nine worlds of his dimension.

Soujaboy
bump

nvrbeenwthagirl
Ok, I have always been under the Impression that Odin was somewhere in the ball park of Tyrant's power lvl. Being able to give Big G a hell of a fight and maybe pull off a couple wins due to his power being magic and all. I argued vehemtly that Thanos being able to stand up to Odin was pure crapola but every seems to think this was a feat for Thanos and the fight was not PIS. This puts me in a perplexing situation. Do I now think that Odin is less powerful than I previously thought? In a full on battle where Odin was told that he would have to utterly kick the crap out of Thanos or Asgard would be destroyed by the LT, would Odin be able to beat Thanos? And the LT has put a time limit on the fight. Odin has 3 minutes. Could he do it?

K3VIL
Odin both outside or inside of Asgard, takes this fight.
Odin didn't went all out cause he knew his power would shred the golden city and his inhabitants.Thanos got up and wasn't looking good.He survived the fight and that's a feat, but Odin pulled out Gugnir cause he found Thanos worthy and cause he use it to focus and channe his power better, probably to avoid massive destruction blasting here and there.None of Thanos attacks affected Odin.He managed to stand up in an act of courage, but the truth his he was done.With Tyrant, same thing, he got up, he was also empowered for a while from one of the energy globes and survived.Did Tyrant went all out as well?No.Cause his citadel would have been destroyed totally as well as for Asgard.When he decided to correct the situation of Thanos existance, Thanos teleported.He knew he would die.

guy222
Originally posted by K3VIL
Odin didn't went all out cause he knew his power would shred the golden city and his inhabitants.Thanos got up and wasn't looking good.He survived the fight and that's a feat, but Odin pulled out Gugnir cause he found Thanos worthy and cause he use it to focus and channe his power better, probably to avoid massive destruction blasting here and there.None of Thanos attacks affected Odin.He managed to stand up in an act of courage, but the truth his he was done.With Tyrant, same thing, he got up, he was also empowered for a while from one of the energy globes and survived.Did Tyrant went all out as well?No.Cause his citadel would have been destroyed totally as well as for Asgard.When he decided to correct the situation of Thanos existance, Thanos teleported.He knew he would die.

odin

llagrok
Originally posted by K3VIL

Cosign.

Wally West
Theres a Thor comic where Thanos (later retconned to a clone) says to Odin "You defeated me once", so no, it wasn't a stalemate, but it was still an incredible feat from Thanos.

Kadesh
well according to marvel ultimate alliance odin defeated thanos when thanos came to conquer earth and that was all mentioned by the watcher

llagrok
Originally posted by Wally West
Theres a Thor comic where Thanos (later retconned to a clone) says to Odin "You defeated me once", so no, it wasn't a stalemate, but it was still an incredible feat from Thanos.

I agree.

What Thanos did was incredibly impressive, and an incredible feat. With that said, I still don't think Thanos can stand up to Odin.

D-Block

What I'm saying is Thanos never did any harm to Odin so how could it be a stalemate the fight wasn't even. Thanos did survive which is a good feat but it wasn't a stalemate.

thtadthtshldntb
Odin's greatest feats outside of Asgard were his multiple galaxy destroying fights, one with Forsung the Enchanter and the other with Seth (it was the third fight between the two, the one where Thor's v1 became retitled Journey into Mystery again). Also there is the Infinity Saga where a shard of Odin was consuming and mindraping the entire 616 universe and then he undid the damage.

Of course there was dead Odin casually creating a solar system in thor v2, that was issue 60 or so. So this probably puts dead Odin above Thanos too.

Gungnir is not Odin's most powerful weapon/item. The Odinrod is. And these items serve to focus Odin's power so that he may control the side effects.

We did not see Odin go all out because Asgard was still there when he was done.

Wonder Man
Odin. I doubt he could defeat someone like Galactus. A godblast might make him angry though.

thtadthtshldntb
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Odin. I doubt he could defeat someone like Galactus. A godblast might make him angry though.

Except you know... that Thor's Godblast almost killed Galactus, and it was not even fully charged... and Odin is thousands of times more powerful than Thor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.