In Ep. III, what did Anakin mean when he screamed "You were with him!", at Padme?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Did he think she was cheating on him or was he just mad that she was with him in order to stop him.

truejedi
i dunno about cheating, i mean, who starts cheating with a very very pregnant woman?

kanis
vampire She went to anakin to see if all obi wan told her was true which obviously was and when he obi wan in a pose on the ramp he presumed that she had brought him here to kill him, he even said that.

Renamon
Aye, He thought Padme was there to help Obi-Wan kill him yes

Council#13
Hmmm well I think he meant that he thought Obi-Wan and Padme were.... well.... yeah

In the Obsession comics while Obi-Wan and Anakin are sparring, Obi-Wan says to Anakin, "Your mind is still on Naboo". Then they both say, "And you're still thinking about her" or something like that.

Also, this might have been from either a website or a book, but Palpatine asked Anakin if he could be certain about Padme's loyalty to him

Anakin may have believed the two were working against him, as he shouted, "LIAR! You were with him! You brought him here, to kill me!" That was after he saw Obi-Wan at the top of the ramp of course, so those two sentances might have been linked or they might not have

chinabing
Great thread. I think this whole Anakin-jealousy thing is one thing that Lucas excised out of ROTS. I just wonder why he took the whole Padme-Obi-Wan thing out of the movie?

It must not have played well in rehearsal. I mean it was a minor thread in the book, Palpatine suggests the affair to Anakin, Anakin has a dream of Obi-Wan & Padme when he's sitting on the couch, because Obi-Wan had come by to talk to Padme. Then some more jealousy talk on the Mustafar platform.

I think the affair idea just maybe wasn't believeable enough for them to keep it in the movie dialogue. Maybe it just was too much. And it was left as another minor piece of the puzzle of Anakin's fall.

It would be nice to see this dialogue in the super-dooper dvd set.

FistOfThe North
There was also what seemed a hint of jelousy in Anakin's words when he suspsiosly said "Obi Wan was here, wasn't he?" (in her apartment)

Sesse
"If you aren't with me, then you will be my enemy!"

Is this some jealousy too?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Sesse
"If you aren't with me, then you will be my enemy!"

Is this some jealousy too?

lo no. He was talking to Obi Wan. If anything he was jealous that Obi Wan cared more about the Force than he cared about Anakin, perhaps?

Eleonora
I think he meant "you were plotting against me all this time, whereas I suspected only Obi-Wan was, since he is jealous of me". However, I still think he must have suspected adultery at certain points in the story , I remember a very well written part in the ROTS novel when, during his first reunion with Padme after months, he notices her mind is elsewhere and he asks if there's someone else in her life. Moreover, I don't think he suspected Obi-Wan as a plausible lover, it was more a suspicion related to Obi-Wan's supposed jealousy.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by Council#13
In the Obsession comics while Obi-Wan and Anakin are sparring, Obi-Wan says to Anakin, "Your mind is still on Naboo". Then they both say, "And you're still thinking about her" or something like that.

Obi Wan was referring to Anakin thinking about Padme and Anakin was referring to Obi Wan thinking about how Asajj Ventress was sill alive. No affair action involved.

chinabing
As for the poll, actually I think Anakin could mean both meanings, because he's so spittin' mad, he'd just say about anything.

I remember in the final OT Special Editions VHS tapes with the "extra footage seen nowhere else" Lucas specifically mentioned jealousy in a host of sins Anakin must wrestle with.

But I didn't think in the ROTS movie there was much jealousy displayed by Anakin.

Now I remember there were rumors in 2003-04 that Anakin was jealous and fell to the dark side... because it was rumored that Padme and Bail were having an affair. But maybe it was a red herring to throw off the spoilers.

DeVi| D0do
In the screenplay there is a scene where Palpatine manipulates Anakin into believing that Padme is falling in love with Obi-Wan... or vice versa... I forget.

AstroFan
I think Palps portrayed it as mutual. stick out tongue

vader sith
anakin (vader my master) told me that he caught ob1 and padme in bed naked he said he wished he could kill ob1 and so he did in episode 4

DeVi| D0do
orsm dood

Council#13
Originally posted by jollyjim311
Obi Wan was referring to Anakin thinking about Padme and Anakin was referring to Obi Wan thinking about how Asajj Ventress was sill alive. No affair action involved.

confused Are you sure?

DarthMaul9123
i voted the other one as a joke hahahahah *waits for laughter, but only hears coughs and crickets, but out of nowhere some idiot starts laughing but we realize he's watching bootlegged chappelles show*

Captain REX
Anakin thought Padme brought Kenobi to kill him. As for Palpatine questioning Anakin's thoughts on Padme's loyalty, that was not in regards to their relationship, more their political views.

Stun
"Your with him! you bought him here to kill me."

wink

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
In the screenplay there is a scene where Palpatine manipulates Anakin into believing that Padme is falling in love with Obi-Wan... or vice versa... I forget.

IF you go by the movie it's option number two, if you go by the book, it's both. I prefer to go by the book myself as it was by far better than the movie. yes

chinabing
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
IF you go by the movie it's option number two, if you go by the book, it's both. I prefer to go by the book myself as it was by far better than the movie.

You cahn't be serious jp, can you?

Firstly if Anakin was so ticked off at Padme for a litany of things, don't you think having an affair with Obi-Wan might be something he might mention to her? You know, as he's strangling her? Kinda part of the whole marriage vow thing.

During a fight, what scorned spouse doesn't nag nag nag with a host of issues, such as "You brought him here to kill me! You're having an affair! And you hog all the covers!"

Because Anakin didn't mention the possible affair on the Mustafar landing platform, either in the book or movie, you've got to conclude it wasn't a motivating factor. In the book, the closest Anakin gets to even hinting about this possible affair was this line: "Palpatine was right. Sometimes it is the closest to you who cannot see. I loved you too much Padme." But the line is just to innocuous. Bringing Obi-Wan to kill him was the factor.

Secondly, I think the novelization, (I've always hated that word), stinks. It had none of the emotional gravitas of the film. Sure you learn a little more about things, as you should, but where's the heart? Even the Junior novel had more soul.

Boris
Thought they were ridin'.

overlord
I don't think Anakin really thought (<-- see, it's thought instead of though) much about it, it was more like screaming something retarded like "OMGWTFBBQ LOLZ" wich people on the internet always do when they feel this weird urge to saying something!!!!11!
He just had a tourette moment and screamed "WOWZERS YOU WERE WITH HIM!!!" without immediately brainstorming about possible scenerios of what those two talked about. Ah, what the hell, who cares?!!!

Wind Sister
If your going by the books, it would seem he was hinting at an affair. In one of my books set during Episode I, there is a rather intimate scene between Padme and Obi when Obi-Wan comes to inform her of Qui-Gon's death:

"I will always value his kindness in coming to see me. . ." -Episode I Journals

And there is clearly jealousy on Anakin's side depicted in the Episode III novelization:

"Here. Obi-Wan had sat here.
Anakin rounded the couch and settled into that same spot. His hand fell naturally to the seat beside him. . .and there he felt an echo of Padme.
The dragon whispered That's a little close for casual conversation."-Episode III novelization

and

"I'm not the one doing the acting. I'm not the one doing the pretending! I'm not the one sneaking in her in the morning!"-Anakin/Episode III novelization

But for those who just go by the movies. The hints are only subtle, if barely there at all. It could have meant anything.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Did he think she was cheating on him or was he just mad that she was with him in order to stop him.
Actually, I think he screamed "You're with him!" (as in you are) meaning an alliance against him, not so much jealousy about a non-existent affair, but jealousy that he thought she had taken Obi-Wan's 'side' over his.

overlord
Yeah, why not, that sounds much more logical than all those retarded over-analytics..

kanis
vampire Maybe their love was not as strong as was they believed.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by kanis
vampire Maybe their love was not as strong as was they believed.
Nah, just a typical Long Distance Relationship wink

Myth
I simply took "You were with him!" as "You are/were on his side!"

Stun
Although i go by the events of the movie, that would of been a great twist if Obi-Wan was seeing Padme behind Anakin's back, although it's completley out of character for both of them.

kanis
vampire Wouldn't anakin sense something was going on between obi wan and padme if their was.

HTF
Anakin though that Padme brought Obi Wan to kill him

preysin
anakin was just confuse and angry. thats why he thinks padme was cheatin on him.

darthsith19
Lucas himself says something like "Anakin wasn't talking about Padme being with Obi-Wan in a love affair he only meant clearly he was on one side of a battle and they were both against him."

henniestevens
What do think happened when Anakin, went to Ilum to collect some saber crystals?

FistOfThe North
Well there was always Anakin's "You Will Not Take Her From Me!" line he shouted at Obi Wan just moments later..A seeming indication if you ask me.

kanis
devil He's got no one to blame but himself when he lost padme.

jainasolo55
i think it would have been fun e if luke and leia ended up bein obi wans instead of anakins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.