The Origin of the title of "Darth"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
The new SW Insider has this to say, (hell this is long.)

The Title of "Darth."

Many of the Dark Lords of the Sith chose to add "Darth" to their name. The very word has become synonymous with the wonderous power of the Dark Side. However, the origins of the word are unclear. While many see "Darth" as nothing more than a contraction of Dark Lord of the Sith, there is some evidence for a deeper interpertation of the term.

Darth Revan and Darth Malak are generally believed to be the first dark lords to use the title. Given that much of their power was drived from the Star Forge, a creation of the extinct Rakatan species, some historians see "Darth" as a coruption of Daritha, the Rakatan word for "emperor." Similary others note that the wordfor "triumph" or "conquest" in Rakatan is Darr tahh and means "triumph over death" or "immortal." A compeling theory asserts that the true meaning of darr tah is "conquest through death"... of ones enemies.

Numerous other cultures or species can-and-do make similar claims to the etymology of the Dath title. But great are the mysteries of the Dark Side, and in the end there is no definitive answer."

So take it all you anti-KotOR people. You ow KotOR for the origins of the Darth name. stick out tongue

Lightsnake
Actually SW Republic introduced an ancient Sith Lord named Darth Andeddu

Nactous
Well, if have a pretty good feeling that the magazine published by LFL vice presidents and such would be accurate.

Sesse
Perhaps "Dark Vader" sounded too "Dork Vader" when GL made up the names?

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Nactous
Well, if have a pretty good feeling that the magazine published by LFL vice presidents and such would be accurate.

That'll be the magazine that once declared that Luke was a better duellist than Qui-Gon (any by logical extension, DookU)

Nah, seriously, that magazine has no call to anything authoritative UNLESS it is sourced from somewhere more substantial. Like the website, it is highly prone to error as those who write it, basically, tend to make stuff up.

Legion_of_Maul
What does darth mean? Did George just make it up?

Ushgarak
Yup.

Legion_of_Maul
oh sweet. haha i wish i could make that kinda stuff up.

Captain REX
Go make a big hit movie and you can.

Sesse
"
One a day Brandon Kickass found a cave. There was a very old rock there that gave him enormous powers. He then went to kill everyone, but then the US marines came and fought him. He was finally killed when a scientist found the stone and destroyed it."

Would this do?

Legion_of_Maul
cool. actually i am working on a star wars parody; me and my friend are dubbing SW and stuff, sorta like kung pow.

Tangible God

The Title of "Darth."

Many of the Dark Lords of the Sith chose to add "Darth" to their name. The very word has become synonymous with the wonderous power of the Dark Side. However, the origins of the word are unclear. While many see "Darth" as nothing more than a contraction of Dark Lord of the Sith, there is some evidence for a deeper interpertation of the term.

Darth Revan and Darth Malak are generally believed to be the first dark lords to use the title. Given that much of their power was drived from the Star Forge, a creation of the extinct Rakatan species, some historians see "Darth" as a coruption of Daritha, the Rakatan word for "emperor." Similary others note that the wordfor "triumph" or "conquest" in Rakatan is Darr tahh and means "triumph over death" or "immortal." A compeling theory asserts that the true meaning of darr tah is "conquest through death"... of ones enemies.

Numerous other cultures or species can-and-do make similar claims to the etymology of the Dath title. But great are the mysteries of the Dark Side, and in the end there is no definitive answer."

So take it all you anti-KotOR people. You ow KotOR for the origins of the Darth name. stick out tongue This is a terrible background.

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by Lightsnake
Actually SW Republic introduced an ancient Sith Lord named Darth Andeddu

Word.

TheBalance
Darth is a title given to certain Sith Lords which preceded either their chosen Sith name, or (in some cases) their birth name.

Theoretical Origins
Many Sith Lords chose to add "Darth" to their name, so much so that the word is considered synonymous with the dark side of the Force in some circles. But the origins of the word are uncertain. It is often thought that "Darth" is merely a contraction of the title "Dark Lord of the Sith," but there are theories that suggest an even deeper interpretation.

The possibility of Rakatan origin
Because the first recorded Sith to use the title were Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the fact that they derived much of their power from the Star Forge, a creation of the long-extinct Rakata, has led some historians to suggest that "Darth" is actually a corruption of the Rakatan word Daritha, meaning "emperor." Others note another Rakatan connection: the words for "triumph" or "conquest" in Rakatan is darr, and the word for "death" is tah, leading to the theory that "Darth" is derived from darr tah and therefore means "triumph over death" or "immortal." Given the obsession of the Sith with discovering the means to live forever, this idea, on the surface, is not entirely without merit. But others point out that the true meaning of darr tah is "conquest through death," meaning the conquest of one's enemies.

Ultimately, the flaw in such theories involving a Rakatan origin is that, even if they are accurate, they cannot spring specifically from Revan or Malak's own connection to the Star Forge. A decade prior to their emergence as Sith Lords (3964 BBY), the title "Darth" was already well known by the Jedi in connection to the Sith, which is why Padawan Zayne Carrick could call Jarael "Darth Sunshine." There is still the possibility that one of the Rakata theories could be correct, since the ancient Sith homeworld of Korriban had once been occupied by the Rakata and its citizens were taken as slave labor to help build the Star Forge in the first place, which is one way either the Daritha or darr tah term could have entered the ancient Sith language. But even if the Rakatan connection proves to have some validity, numerous other cultures make similar claims to the etymology of the title, so for the present, there is no definitive answer as to what the term "Darth" means.

Some have speculated that the style of armor worn by Darth Andeddu suggests that the title may date back as far as the days of the Old Sith Empire (6,900 BBY to 5,000 BBY). However, very little has been verified about the life of Darth Andeddu, and his dates of birth and death are, as yet, unknown. As such any assertion about the history of the Darth title based on presumptions about Andeddu's use of the title must be considered baseless speculation.

Usage of the term
The earliest verified use of the title was by the master and apprentice duo of Darth Revan and Darth Malak, after the Mandalorian War and during the Jedi Civil War. It is worth noting that Revan and Malak used the title along with their given names, and did not adopt new names along with the title as many subsequent Sith Lords would do. Darth Traya was the first Sith Lord to take an alias after her fall and rechristenment.

Later Sith Lords of the Jedi Civil War era also used the title Darth, as did the founding Sith Lord of the Light and Darkness War, Darth Ruin, though there were few later Sith bearing the title until the rise of Darth Rivan and Darth Bane. It is possible that the title remained in use for the interim period, and that a lineage of Darths existed during the Draggulch Period, though it is also possible that Rivan and Bane revived the use of the title themselves after a long period of dormancy. In either case, since Bane was the only survivor of the Sith Order after the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, he was largely able to reshape the Sith in his own image, instituting such reforms as the Rule of Two, and most (possibly all) of the Sith of his lineage adopted the Darth title as he did, generally coupling it with a new Sith name (e.g. Sidious, Tyranus, Vader), which appears to have been chosen for the

TheBalance
Behind the scenes
Darth is often thought to be a combination of letters from the title Dark Lord of the Sith, but there is no basis in Star Wars canon for this. Darth may also be a portmanteau of dark and death.

As a result of the popularity of Star Wars, the term Darth has entered the popular lexicon as a term for evil. Most references are still associated with the Star Wars universe.

In A New Hope, Obi-Wan addresses Darth Vader simply as Darth, which is the only instance in the films where the word is used isolated. Maybe during the filming, the word was intended to be the character's name, not a title.

Contrary to popular belief, the word Darth is neither a Dutch nor a German word meaning dark (donker and dunkel, respectively). However, George Lucas did intend for viewers to subconsciously relate the word to this concept. In fact, many of the Imperial villains in Star Wars have Dutch-sounding names. Darth Vader, the first Sith introduced in the Original trilogy, could be roughly translated as Dark Father (Vader is, in fact, the Dutch word for father), which defines his character (note that in French, for instance, Darth Vader is plainly named Dark Vador, and in Italian, is named Dart Fener). More specifically, packaging on Dutch figurines of Darth Vader name him Dark Father.

Ushgarak
That last bit- nonsnese.

Vader is NOT meant to mean father. Back in the old days, we had our Dutch members specifically torpedo this concept. It does not sound like the word, nor is there the slightest reason to think it is meant to be related.

Aside from anything else, when the name was first thought of, Vader was an incidental villain killed in the first film, and not the father of anyone.

.:Space Opera:.
oh thats wierd cause i thought that lucas actually SAID that vader was directly linked to the dutch word.

Ushgarak
Not that I am aware of, and the logical points I made above stand.

It is actually one of the oldest topics on KMC. queeq was the person who pointed out the error. It is something that is generally only believed by people who AREN'T Dutch, which goes to show something.

gotcha, so just to clear this up, the word VADER doesnt even closely resemble any word in the dutch language meaning FATHER?

Ushgarak
Yes it does, but only in spelling, not use or pronunciation, and absolutely certainly not inintent.

Just look at some of the earily drafts. Anakin/Annikin was alive and well with Luke, even withh Vader as the villain of the piece!

Not until ESB was the father connection put into plot; it was not there in the first film and not even close to being even possible in the drafts where the name was first used.

lucas made one BIG script and decided it was too long to put into one movie and divided it up accordingly. havent you watched the extras on the special edition? lucas tells the whole story of how the story was written. just listen to the first half hour of the commentary in ANH. remember that scene in ANH at the moisture farm when owen mentions that ben knew lukes father and lukes shouts out: "he knew my father!?" and beru gives that testy look to owen when finally says: "i told you to forget him"

you cant tell me that lucas had no idea that vader was predetermined to be lukes father. it hints it in such an obvious way after seeing ESB.

Ushgarak

Read what I said again. Carefully this time. At the point he invented Vader, Vader was NOT Luke's fathwer. ANAKIN SKYWALKER WAS ALREADY IN IT! As a character. As Luke's father. Separate from Vader, a villain KILLED AT THE END OF THE FILM.

Geez.

so when ANH was writen before vader was recognized as lukes father to GL himself, when owen says "i told you to forget him" in the first film it was because he didnt want him to know his father was a jedi? was that GL original intent? i dont understand. help me understand because if im mistaken about star wars history than i need to know the truth. i havent read anywhere that lucas decided AFTER ANH that vader was his father. because the orginal story had ALREADY been written, the whole thing before ANH started production, but had to be split into seperate storylines, and the events in ESB were already decided thats why he clued it in in that scene in ANH.

Darth Vindicus
Just to help you understand what Ushgarak is trying to tell you. When a movie script or novel is written there are many drafts before the final is completed. So when GL first wrote Star Wars before he even put it to film he wrote Anakin in as a living character. Vader was just some dude who died at the end. Then while GL was fixing up the script he made some changes. Over the course of many script changes he finally changed the whole story, little by little each time, to what you see in ANH, ESB and ROTJ. There are many steps before an author is please enough with thier work to release it to the public. So what you see in the movie is not the original story. At least not when he first wrote it.

TheBalance
Originally posted by .messedpace Opera:.
oh thats wierd cause i thought that lucas actually SAID that vader was directly linked to the dutch word.

he did

i cant be bothered writing it all again
i Know George Lucas and if u want to know how
go here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=402432&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Ushgarak
Well, you are not going to be believed. Besides which, the logical issues STILL remain.

I can only ask you to read my posts once again, Space Opera. At the point the character Darth Vader was created, he was simply a villain for one film who died, entirely separat efrom the Anakin Skywalker character, who was in the film.

That changed by the time the ecript was finalised, but the point remains that at the time the Vader character was created, he had no connection with being anyone's father at all.

Go watch the TPM extras on the DVD, where he talks about the original version with the other directors.

oh god, i dont know how many people have told me they know GL. if you do know him then crongradufukinglations. but i dont believe you what so ever. if i knew GL then i wouldnt tell anybody just for the mere fact that nobody would believe me.

Jonathan Mark
oh god, i dont know how many people have told me they know GL. if you do know him then crongradufukinglations. but i dont believe you what so ever. if i knew GL then i wouldnt tell anybody just for the mere fact that nobody would believe me.
I have never met GL in my life...

ESB - 1138

The Title of "Darth."

So take it all you anti-KotOR people. You ow KotOR for the origins of the Darth name. stick out tongue

Actually George Lucas came up with the word Darth for the Sith and the creators of KoToR just stole it from GL.

considering how KOTR WAS PRODUCED 25 YEARS AFTER ANH than i think the writing crdits go to GL

Sesse
But was "Anakin" as a character first indtoduced in ROTJ?

I dunno about the novellization, but he was first mentioned by name in ROTJ. So Luke had a father but he was without name... OR something like that yea...

ESB - 1138
He has a point. Darth Vader's true name was not mentioned until Return of the Jedi. Which means that the first draft that had the character Anakin may not have been Luke's father but the character of Vader could have been.

Ushgarak
The name was first used in those early drafts. And he WAS Luke's father. He was Luke's father, named, Anakin, in the film. Luke was also with his sister (who was not actually Leia at the time). The point is that in the first draft, the family was together. By the final draft, they were not, but the backstory about Vader being Luke's father came in a LONG time after his name did.

TheBalance

thats why i'm not going to argue it
i really dont care if u believe me

Tangible God
Originally posted by TheBalance
thats why i'm not going to argue it
i really dont care if u believe me Wait a minute, your 16 and you said you know Lucas?

Sesse
I am that guy who plays Barney the dinosaur. You know me?

http://www.njn.net/kids/shows/images/barney.jpg

Tangible God
Originally posted by Sesse
I am that guy who plays Barney the dinosaur. You know me?

http://www.njn.net/kids/shows/images/barney.jpg Daddy?

Sesse
Thats me my boy!

Legion_of_Maul
and mommy?

TheBalance
Originally posted by Tangible God
Daddy?

u are a funny one

TheBalance

TheBalance
Originally posted by TheBalance
so if your gona call anyone a jackass let it not be the man who has more potential and talent and experience by age of 16 than you'll ever have...

sorry about that last bit it was from the other thread

Nactous
Oh Jesus Christ, canoniclly states Revan was first to use the Darth Title. I never ment GL didnt come up with it.

ESB - 1138
Oh Jesus Christ, canoniclly states Revan was first to use the Darth Title. I never ment GL didnt come up with it.

I doubt it. I'm sure some guy is going to make a book/comic book/video game that takes place before KoToR with some Darth guy that's overpowered but some how gets defeated by the Jedi.

Arachnoidfreak
He's probably not lying, the thing is that HE DIDN'T DO IT HIMSELF.

SYN (Student Youth Network) FM/TV is an organization specifically to give students in media experience. They own the TV and Radio channels he is talking about. It's not like he went out at 14 and got a job on an actual film with a big name because he is uber-talented. It's the organization's job to get their members these gigs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_FM

also, it's the only organization like it on the planet. given the opportunity, millions of teens could be just as or more experienced than this guy.

Tangible God

Captain REX

That's 'chronologically.'

"He's probably not lying, the thing is that HE DIDN'T DO IT HIMSELF.

SYN (Student Youth Network) FM/TV is an organization specifically to give students in media experience. They own the TV and Radio channels he is talking about. It's not like he went out at 14 and got a job on an actual film with a big name because he is uber-talented. It's the organization's job to get their members these gigs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_FM

also, it's the only organization like it on the planet. given the opportunity, millions of teens could be just as or more experienced than this guy."

so they give this experience to kids in HIGSCHOOL?? thatd be such a waste of money. the majority of kids in highschool dont even know what they want to do in later life. i might believe a few gigs here and there but having won so many 'awards' and stuff sounds like total bogus.

Legion_of_Maul
so if there's a possibility that one person in the entire world met george lucas, why couldn't it be him?

TheBalance
Originally posted by Legion_of_Maul
so if there's a possibility that one person in the entire world met george lucas, why couldn't it be him?

very correct

Tangible God
Originally posted by Legion_of_Maul
so if there's a possibility that one person in the entire world met george lucas, why couldn't it be him? Because any 16 year old with THAT resume wouldn't be on here boasting about it. If he met George Lucas it was at an autograph signing.

Nactous
Originally posted by Captain REX
That's 'chronologically.'

You would pick on me. big grin
Hell Space Opera, use the quote button.

TheBalance
Originally posted by Tangible God
Because any 16 year old with THAT resume wouldn't be on here boasting about it. If he met George Lucas it was at an autograph signing.

hell i'm not boasting if you dont beleive me then u dont beleive me so what i'm trying to appeal to you i was just trying to answer some questions with facts but that topic has died now so i dont care

number 72!
i saw a thing on SW and GL had every thing written Even that Darth Vader was the father before ANH was made

overlord
Yeah, too bad he dies at the end of the movie in the original script.
I'm telling you, Lucas just made up a cool name and made up a cool character for it later on.. Not the other way around.

BlackC@
'Vader' means 'Dreaded Tormentor' in Sith language.

'Darth' means 'Shadow warrior.'

Darth Bane, a Sith Lord who reigned years before Revan and Malak, was the first Sith to use the title 'Darth.'

He created a new sith order, in which a Master was to bestow the title of 'Darth' on to his/her apprentice.

Captain REX
Sources please. no expression

Sin Harvest
supershadow.com

Oh you said sources, I'd thought you said lies.

Nactous
Originally posted by BlackC@
'Vader' means 'Dreaded Tormentor' in Sith language.

'Darth' means 'Shadow warrior.'

Darth Bane, a Sith Lord who reigned years before Revan and Malak, was the first Sith to use the title 'Darth.'

He created a new sith order, in which a Master was to bestow the title of 'Darth' on to his/her apprentice.

Incorrect.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.