Anakin: Good or Bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shitayli
Is anakin good for saving padame or is he bad for becoming Darth Vader?

I think he was good from the beginning Because all he wanted to do was save padame but Darth Sidius went back on his promise to save padame and she died anyway. SO I dont thing that ani s sorta' cracked!blowup

darkjedi132
he thought he was doin good but he really wasnt

Shitayli
ya but what I dont get is y Darth Vader? he could of jus stayed anakin. blink messed

darkjedi132
idk, he thought he had to go with palpatine and do wat he said in order to save her

Shitayli
all he said was that he wanted to help padame not turn all sabur happy and start killing ppl for no aparent reason at all-.-'

But at the end of the one episode Luke kills him and he becomes all nice again.....

wtf?! Im confused miffed

well i guess he was nice in the first place

darkjedi132
yeah his son redemed him

Alliance
I think Lucas went over the transition a little quickly. He screams "what have I done?" and the about thirty second later hes on his knees pledging himself to the sith. WTF?!?

JaehSkywalker
^ i agree

but i think Anakin thought he was doing good *saving Padme* by doing bad *joining the sith*. But then, when padme died, he had no sense to just kill palpy because he didn't do the part of the bargain even though palpy told him that he killed padme blink ?

anyway, anakin was good all along until the bad thing just engulfed him. Its like when you say a lie then lie again to cover the lie then it becomes bigger and bigger...

I think that's really it...

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Alliance
I think Lucas went over the transition a little quickly. He screams "what have I done?" and the about thirty second later hes on his knees pledging himself to the sith. WTF?!?

IMO that was the best part of EPIII...the first time I actually felt some real passionate movie-making from Lucas since the OT (combination of good plotting and good acting), I could almost feel the temptation and the complete lack of resistance to join with Sidious...thanks to Ian McDarmaid's acting, his evil and allure just oozed off the screen...really effective I thought. Hayden was effective there too...that scene was pivotal and had to be believable for the whole movie, even series to work, and they did it really well.

There was nothing intillectual about Ani's transition, like "hmmm, let me see here..." At that turning point he was in too deep...he had given in to the dark side, and he was too overcome by his desperation for power, for Padme (not letting go)...you know, all that bad non-Jedi stuff.

...what's this...me sticking up for EPIII?

P.S. I don't believe in good or bad people...just people who can overcome things and people who can't...in this situation, Ani couldn't...doesn't make him bad, just unfortunate.

Alliance
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
P.S. I don't believe in good or bad people...just people who can overcome things and people who can't...in this situation, Ani couldn't...doesn't make him bad, just unfortunate.

I think this is good. I think Lucas did a good job of expressing the rise of the darkside in Anakin (perhaps I should have phrased this better), but his transition from Jedi to Sith was too quick for my tastes.

I would heve think after killing Mace, he would continue to reject both the Jedi and the SIth (he was already mad at Palps) and then Palps could lure him, even just a little bit more, to get him to "save the republic" or something.

The acting was OK, the lighing on anakin was supurp imo, but Sidious voice makes me think the sound editor's kid was playing with the volume dials during the recording. stick out tongue

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Shitayli
ya but what I dont get is y Darth Vader? he could of jus stayed anakin. blink messed

Because in Episode 4 GL had the bad guy named Darth Vader. In Episode 5 GL revealed that Darth Vader is Luke's father. So GL in Episode 3 wanted the transformation into Darth Vader to become complete which means he has to take on the name Darth Vader.

Shitayli
o ok i get it now! ty

And I dont thing anakin was bad for becoming Darth Vader he just approached it the wrong way is what I think he just made a bad decision

spencerspider
He thought he was doing right by tring to get power to save Padme. But the power had a downside...

Sith Master X
Bad in decision, good at heart.

PVS
not really. he wanted to control her and with a rational mind, in ep2, contemplated destroying everything she held dear (whatever works) and
put his own selfish need to keep her alive above her own reason to live.

he was a selfish prick, even when he didnt turn yet. yoda tried to warn him of this.

Tangible God
The only "good" thing Anakin intended was to keep Padme alive. But that was just so he could go around keeping her in the dark, obsessing over her, making himself look like even more of an *sshole than he already was.

Bloody Jedi
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Bad in decision, good at heart.

I agree He intended to save padame
but what he signed up for was bad from the start

overlord
no kids, he wanted to f*ck padame from early childhood, he is eval!!!

spencerspider
lol.. a perverted 9 year old

Eleonora
Anakin is both, just like every other human being.

Jedi Priestess
slam

overlord
Originally posted by Eleonora
Anakin is both, just like every other human being. LOL, shut up. This isn't earth! big grin
The SW universe makes a distinct difference between good and evil. It doesn't hold a Boedhistic point of view. You are this or you are that. Anakin was a naughty boy, he did something against the jedi code.
PLUS, he suddenly began killing the jedi!! That must mean something!!!
omg_smilie

Stealth Agent

The acting was OK, the lighing on anakin was supurp imo, but Sidious voice makes me think the sound editor's kid was playing with the volume dials during the recording. stick out tongue

Watched the commentary on the part, Lucas said he ****ed with Sidious's voice to make it sound more evil.

I think its pretty fake though.

steverules
Originally posted by Shitayli
Is anakin good for saving padame or is he bad for becoming Darth Vader?

I think he was good from the beginning Because all he wanted to do was save padame but Darth Sidius went back on his promise to save padame and she died anyway. SO I dont thing that ani s sorta' cracked!blowup

He didn't save her, he killed her...well I think so. Palpatine said to vader that he had killed her.

Razielim
Anakin is a good boy. He only exterminated the Jedi Knights, force choked his wife, slaughtered dozens of sand people, includig women and children, brutally murdered begging politicians and lopped off a Jedi master's arm.

overlord
Don't forget the children, oh the children!!

Freddie
Originally posted by Generic Hero
Anakin is a good boy. He only exterminated the Jedi Knights, force choked his wife, slaughtered dozens of sand people, includig women and children, brutally murdered begging politicians and lopped off a Jedi master's arm.
I disagree. He killed the Jedi because he believed they where evil, and he had reason to. He thought he had no alternative.

The 'politicians' he killed where evil separatists, and they did all sorts of nasty stuff like attacking Naboo.

And the sand people? They are animistic terrorists of his home planet. They killed and tortured his mother for a sport, and did that to many other people. If I was him, I'd do the same. They where vermin. Just because the Jedi order say it's wrong doesn't mean it is.

He cut off Mace's arm because he didn't respect Palpatine's freedom, and Mace wanted to take justice into his own hands, which without Anakin getting to truly see how evil Darth Sideous is, it seems perfectly acceptable to disarm Mace.

The only thing I disagree with is Anakin choking Padme. But he must have been driven insane from the stress, although it's no excuse. To me, I have not seen any other evil. He did what he thought was right. Anything else?

-Pr-
He believed younglings were evil? He believed Obi-Wan, his teacher and mentor, was evil?

Taking TCW in to account, Anakin's fall does make more sense, but it's still a very quick jump from "good but troubled" to mass murder.

lol @ disarmed though. Nice pun.

Lord Lucien
He was a psychopathic mass-murderer long before he "fell" to the Dark Side. Clearly he's just misunderstood.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by -Pr-
He believed younglings were evil? He believed Obi-Wan, his teacher and mentor, was evil?

Taking TCW in to account, Anakin's fall does make more sense, but it's still a very quick jump from "good but troubled" to mass murder.

lol @ disarmed though. Nice pun.

How is it exactly a quick jump? He's already long before having emotional issues the first starting point was being taken from his mother, or you could probably go back further when he was a slave.

You then fast forward, his mother being tortured by Sand People and then dying in his arms, this just further making him into an emotional storm.

Then finally what did it is, was the visions of Padme dying.

His turning was already sown into him by all of this, the constant war and Palpatine's manipulation, the final nail in the coffin was cutting off Mace Windu's hand, helping kill a very respected Jedi Master. Further twisting his thoughts to that, Palpatine showed Anakin that the Jedi were corrupted and enemies of the Republic.

He wasn't doing mass murder in his point of view, what he was doing was quelling a Rebellion of Jedi before it even began, bringing peace and order to the galaxy and wiping away the corrupted Jedi and Republic.

This all just from the movies, you really don't even need to watch TCW as long as you put thought into the scenes at hand and then take into account the passage of time, take into account the characters around Anakin influencing his emotions, so on and so forth.

TCW just furthers add more material for Anakin's slow descend into the darkside.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Zenwolf
How is it exactly a quick jump? He's already long before having emotional issues the first starting point was being taken from his mother, or you could probably go back further when he was a slave.

You then fast forward, his mother being tortured by Sand People and then dying in his arms, this just further making him into an emotional storm.

Then finally what did it is, was the visions of Padme dying.

His turning was already sown into him by all of this, the constant war and Palpatine's manipulation, the final nail in the coffin was cutting off Mace Windu's hand, helping kill a very respected Jedi Master. Further twisting his thoughts to that, Palpatine showed Anakin that the Jedi were corrupted and enemies of the Republic.

He wasn't doing mass murder in his point of view, what he was doing was quelling a Rebellion of Jedi before it even began, bringing peace and order to the galaxy and wiping away the corrupted Jedi and Republic.

This all just from the movies, you really don't even need to watch TCW as long as you put thought into the scenes at hand and then take into account the passage of time, take into account the characters around Anakin influencing his emotions, so on and so forth.

TCW just furthers add more material for Anakin's slow descend into the darkside.

The seeds were sown, but the way he goes from "You're a Sith, I must turn you in!" to "Fck your hand, Windu, I'mma go murder everyone I've known for the last 13 years!" is way too abrupt.

He should have fallen to the dark side earlier, but needed more prodding to turn against everything he's been taught.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
The seeds were sown, but the way he goes from "You're a Sith, I must turn you in!" to "Fck your hand, Windu, I'mma go murder everyone I've known for the last 13 years!" is way too abrupt.

He should have fallen to the dark side earlier, but needed more prodding to turn against everything he's been taught.

So being prodding and showing signs of falling to the darkside throughout the movies don't show anything? I don't think it would take much else when Anakin at this point, was shown as being mentally ill.

As said that was the final nail in the coffin and it's not like he wasn't justified in disarming Windu. Taking from his point of view, he was witnessing a Jedi straight up murder the Chancellor of the Republic, thus confirming what Palpatine was saying that the Jedi were turning on the Republic.

|King Joker|
I think Anakin is just a dumb person.

Darth Luminous

He basically killed Rush Clovis and got away with it.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Luminous
He basically killed Rush Clovis and got away with it.

He didn't really kill Clovis, he killed himself by letting go of Anakin's hand, Anakin could have easily just let him fall but he didn't.

Darth Luminous
I meant that he should have been able to use the Force to save him.

queeq
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
He was a psychopathic mass-murderer long before he "fell" to the Dark Side. Clearly he's just misunderstood.

Yup, evil and dumb. Anakin was never any good. There never was any 'fall to the Dark Side', ever since his adolescence he was always like that.

Darth Abonis
Neither. Mentally ill

queeq
laughing out loud

quanchi112
I think Lucas went over the transition a little quickly. He screams "what have I done?" and the about thirty second later hes on his knees pledging himself to the sith. WTF?!? thumb up

queeq
That whole scene including its build-up is completely silly.

NewGuy01
It's a little better in the novelization, tbh.

queeq
Yes, but that does\t help the movie much.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by queeq
That whole scene including its build-up is completely silly. Yeah. If they actually nailed that/that scene the movie would have been pretty good, imo.

queeq
It was the crucial scene of the PT... and they failed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.