A Mystery To Me...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Justbyfaith
Why do people who do not believe God exists spend hours on end discussing things about Him? confused

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
Why do people who do not believe God exists spend hours on end discussing things about Him? confused

Not all people who discuss this topic with you are atheists. There are also those people who believe in God, but who do not believe in your god.

maham
Exactly!!!

P.S. 1st 2 post.YEY!

Storm

Alliance
Originally posted by Storm
And a religion which cannot be questioned or reconsidered is not a religion which merits devotion.

yes And besides how boring would thre world be if everyone here was religous.messed

debbiejo
Why do people who do not believe God exists spend hours on end discussing things about Him? confused Because it's an interesting topic.........and one that should be studied.............

Alliance
And anti-religion is just as important as relgion.

debbiejo
True..........all studies are relevant.

Boris
I find it quite interesting to see why people actually believe in what they do, and to read their augments for Religion, it amuses me.

Eis
Thought you were leaving. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Either way, the question is a stupid one. Do you ever talk about homosexuals? Does that mean you're gay? Ever talk about aliens? I'm going to assume you aren't one.

We can be interested in things without being a part of them.

Ritoshi
It's not over yet!! hold the line!! 2guns

Mindship

Why not?

Alliance
Originally posted by Ritoshi
It's not over yet!! hold the line!! 2guns

Its over.

debbiejo
What else would we talk about........It's the debate that never ends.....millenniums worth ......Is god a rock, is god a man, a woman, a spirit, in all things, the thunder, is it only in our minds, do we really want to know. I guess we do, that's why we're talkin about it. Otherwise we'd all be Atheists.... eek!

Epsilon
Yep. If everyone believed in god, religious discussion would leave a lot to be desired.

Alliance
...like answers....

*runs away*

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
Is god a rock, is god a man, a woman, a spirit, in all things, the thunder, is it only in our minds
This, to me, suggests that god does not exist. Therfore...
Otherwise we'd all be Atheists....
Is a very logical conclusion. eek! stick out tongue

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alliance
Is a very logical conclusion. eek! stick out tongue
For an Atheist........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

maham
I wanted 2 say Exactly 4 that!

Eis
...like answers....

*runs away*
That's good...

Alliance
For an Atheist........ roll eyes (sarcastic)
Imagine that! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Mindship
Why not?

I will tell you why. It's not that they don't believe in Him, it's because they don't want to be accountable to Him or anyone else for that matter. Life for some is only about the God of self.

It's called: Selfism It's a self- Religion just like Humanism.

Alliance
its not a relgion at all...its a religous philosophy

Alliance
Its not a religion, its a relgious philosophy

Alliance

Justbyfaith

All in the same Alliance. The devils greatest desire is for people to not believe he exists.

Alliance
No its not. Relgion and religions philosophy are very different conepts. A religion implies a centeral administration, a philosophy is an idea.

I don't believe in your god or your devil. The greatest danger to mankind is the absence of free thought.

Justbyfaith
No its not. Relgion and religions philosophy are very different conepts. A religion implies a centeral administration, a philosophy is an idea.

I don't believe in your god or your devil. The greatest danger to mankind is the absence of free thought.

He's not mine Alliance. He is everyones to deal with. The question is not who or what we believe. It's :What are we individually going to do with Jesus?

Shakyamunison
He's not mine Alliance. He is everyones to deal with. The question is not who or what we believe. It's :What are we individually going to do with Jesus?

Jesus died 2000 years ago. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
No. He is yours. Thats not the question. You're welcome to your beliefs, but don't tell me they're mine.

(wtf with my triple post? messed)

Justbyfaith
No. He is yours. Thats not the question. You're welcome to your beliefs, but don't tell me they're mine.

(wtf with my triple post? messed)

Actually, I didn't say He was your belief. But like everything in life Alliance. You and I and everyone else knows that He existed, therefore, we all have the simple question.

Was Jesus a Liar, Lunitic, or Lord?

Regret
Actually, I didn't say He was your belief. But like everything in life Alliance. You and I and everyone else knows that He existed, therefore, we all have the simple question.

Or not a lunatic, just brainwashed by years of being taught by a woman that said she could conceive without intercourse and a man that believed her, also both saw things...but then I'm of the Lord persuasion myself.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Regret
Or not a lunatic, just brainwashed by years of being taught by a woman that said she could conceive without intercourse and a man that believed her also both saw things...but then I'm of the Lord persuasion myself.

You are of a Mormon understanding correct?

Regret
You are of a Mormon understanding correct?

Yes

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by maham
I wanted 2 say Exactly 4 that!

Got some good things to share about your faith?

Alliance

Not everyone agrees that he existed...and that question is about as pertinant as: Was Alliance a Liar, Lunatic, or lord?

debbiejo
"Was Jesus a Liar, Lunitic, or Lord?" That was the name of a book!!

Alliance
Cool.

debbiejo
People use that book a lot to prove he IS lord........But Jesus was only a man, if he did exist. However, the church made him lord if they'll only research the church doctrines.....They are published and called "The Original Documents of the Christian Church."....

Alliance
Correct.

debbiejo
I'm just full of INTELLIGENCE today!! wink

Alliance
I hope thats not your etherial intelligence. wink

debbiejo

Alliance
ummm....jargon does not equal answer.

Justbyfaith
Not everyone agrees that he existed...and that question is about as pertinant as: Was Alliance a Liar, Lunatic, or lord?

Common Alliance, He is a Historical Fact sad Who cares if people believe He existed or not. Even the non-Christian historians wrote about Him in the first century. So it goes back too the same question:

Was Jesus a Liar, Lunatic or Lord?

debbiejo
Even the non-Christian historians wrote about Him in the first century. So it goes back too the same question:

Was Jesus a Liar, Lunatic or Lord?

Really???? Historians of that time.........They never said he was god.

Josephus, Arrian, Philo-Judaeus, Petronius, Seneca, Dion Pruseus,
Pliny the Elder, Paterculus, Suetonius, Appian, Juvenal, Theon of Smyran,
Martial, Phlegon, Persius, Pompon Mela, Plutarch, Quintius Curtius,
Justus of Tiberius, Lucian, Apollonius, Pausanias, Pliny the Younger,
Valerius Flaccus, Tacitus, Florus Lucius, Quintilian, Favorinus,
Jucanus, Phaedrus, Epictetus, Damis, Silius Italicus, Aulus Gellius, Statius,
Columella, Ptolemy, Dio Chrysostom, Hermogones, Lysias, and Valerius.

Justbyfaith
People use that book a lot to prove he IS lord........But Jesus was only a man, if he did exist. However, the church made him lord if they'll only research the church doctrines.....They are published and called "The Original Documents of the Christian Church."....

I must say debbiejo, you appear to be very informed...I just question your source of information. embarrasment

Justbyfaith

Your spinning again debbiejo, the statement was that some didn't believe Jesus existed. And you and I know that is a futile argument. rolling on floor laughing

Regret

It has been found that references that Josephus allegedly made to Jesus were forgeries that were added some 300 years after the time of Jesus and Josephus.

debbiejo
I must say debbiejo, you appear to be very informed...I just question your source of information. embarrasment The book was put out by the Oxford University Press and traces the roots with all documents and all denominations with all of their council meetings, Papal writings, from Catholicism to all of Protestantism, including Muslims.

Writings such as the Synod of Arles, Council of Orange, Eucharistic Doctrine, Tertullian, , Conciliar Movement, Scholasticism, Church in England until the Reformation, the Second Vatican Council, British churches in the Sevteenth Century..., Puritans,Presbterianism, Westminster Confession of Faith..blah blah blah......every document that had ever been published by any faith up to the year of about 1997.....

True...If you read through Josephus works you will see that the ONE paragraph breaks the flow of what he was describing at the time, which was the Jewish war....Now earlier copies don't have this paragraph in it...and the way it was written was as it was written by a christiian, which Josephus WAS NOT...He would of never call Jesus the Christ or anything of that nature........and if he did believe he was of some supernatural person, I'm sure he would of volumns on it....don't you think??

Alliance
I must say debbiejo, you appear to be very informed...I just question your source of information. embarrasment

laughing

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Regret
It has been found that references that Josephus allegedly made to Jesus were forgeries that were added some 300 years after the time of Jesus and Josephus.

As the scripture reads to you below...

Alliance
Your spinning again debbiejo, the statement was that some didn't believe Jesus existed. And you and I know that is a futile argument. rolling on floor laughing
laughing

OH PLEASE. The only source in the world at the time Jesus lived that said he was the saviour was word of mouth.

Justbyfaith
The book was put out by the Oxford University Press and traces the roots with all documents and all denominations with all of their council meetings, Papal writings, from Catholicism to all of Protestantism, including Muslims.

Writings such as the Synod of Arles, Council of Orange, Eucharistic Doctrine, Tertullian, , Conciliar Movement, Scholasticism, Church in England until the Reformation, the Second Vatican Council, British churches in the Sevteenth Century..., Puritans,Presbterianism, Westminster Confession of Faith..blah blah blah......every document that had ever been published by any faith up to the year of about 1997.....

I will stick with the Bible for my truth and accuracy.

"Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him"

Proverbs 30:5

debbiejo
Can I ask...what denomination are you........just curious??

Justbyfaith
I'm just full of INTELLIGENCE today!! wink

"Professing to be wise they became fools and changed the glory of the incorruptable God into an image made like corruptable man and birds and four footed animals and creeping things."

Romans 1:22-23

Alliance
I will stick with the Bible for my truth and accuracy.

"Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him"

Proverbs 30:5
Thats why you fail. The bible is only the word od god to those who believe he wrote it. There is no evidence your god wrote it. It is not viewed by scholars to be accurate. It is only infallible to fundamentalists such as yourself. Fundamentalist usually arent credible...many terrorists are fundamentalists (ETA, IRA, AlQueda).

You ignore every other source in the world...thats pretty blatant ignorance imo.

Justbyfaith
Can I ask...what denomination are you........just curious??

Protestant-

Faith in Jesus alone. Not by self effort but by Christ alone I am grateful and have been changed from an alcoholic/druggy to someone who loves people and is free from the lies and traps of the Devil.

Justbyfaith
Thats why you fail. The bible is only the word od god to those who believe he wrote it. There is no evidence your god wrote it. It is not viewed by scholars to be accurate. It is only infallible to fundamentalists such as yourself. Fundamentalist usually arent credible...many terrorists are fundamentalists (ETA, IRA, AlQueda).

You ignore every other source in the world...thats pretty blatant ignorance imo.

Fair enough Alliance. But since we are on a Religion Thread, I will put my trust in my book called the bible. You place your trust where you wish sir.

debbiejo
"Professing to be wise they became fools and changed the glory of the incorruptable God into an image made like corruptable man and birds and four footed animals and creeping things."

Romans 1:22-23 I'm not saying I'm full of Intelligence as in a know it all............Intelligence to me is what we are all part of....you can call it god, bob, spot, Barney, Winny the Poo....I could care less.... ..........I don't care what name you call it........It just is.....imo.

Alliance

Romans 1:22-23

Isnt this what the church did? Is this not what you are doing?

Templares
I could put my trust in the Mandaean Ginza where Jesus is a false prophet who perverted the words and works of our beloved teacher . . . . John the Baptizer.

Justbyfaith
I'm not saying I'm full of Intelligence as in a know it all............Intelligence to me is what we are all part of....you can call it god, bob, spot, Barney, Winny the Poo....I could care less.... ..........I don't care what name you call it........It just is.....imo.

I enjoy conversation with you when you are civil and honest like this post you just sent.

Justbyfaith
Isnt this what the church did? Is this not what you are doing?

reading Nope...

debbiejo
I enjoy conversation with you when you are civil and honest like this post you just sent. laughing out loud

Are you judging me?????

Go repent!! "For you will be judged in like manner" You think a god would really care what you called it?????

Yep

Justbyfaith
laughing out loud

Are you judging me?????

Go repent!! "For you will be judged in like manner" You think a god would really care what you called it?????

Yep roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
roll eyes (sarcastic)

I forgive you...........I have compassion.........It's the fruit of the spirit...... happy

Alliance
that was entirely sexual

debbiejo
laughing out loud

Justbyfaith
I forgive you...........I have compassion.........It's the fruit of the spirit...... happy

There is hope... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
I hope so..........

Alliance
There better be...though I get a creepy feeling im refering to a different kind of hope.

marcu
I have often wondered the same thing about this topic! It is funny how the non-believers are typically the first ones to bring up the subject of God! I have found this to be true within my own family. My non-christian family members are the first to start the conversation about God! Huh, I'll have to ask them once why that is! I don't mind anyway, gives opportunity to discuss it! big grin

debbiejo
You know why they bring it up???? It's because they are older and have looked into things...........They are trying to encourage you to think!!

Eis
Protestant-

Faith in Jesus alone. Not by self effort but by Christ alone I am grateful and have been changed from an alcoholic/druggy to someone who loves people and is free from the lies and traps of the Devil.
Oh so that's why you're so tight up... You're off drugs and alcohol.

marcu
You know why they bring it up???? It's because they are older and have looked into things...........They are trying to encourage you to think!!

HAHA! NOT! I know this because I am OLD! I think they do this because they too are searching the truth (GOD). THey are smart people and they feel convicted and know that they are missing something!

Alliance
If we are SO missing something, then why don't we arbitrarily paste over these "holes" with fake plaster like relgion?

Theres an abundance of truth in the world...nothing imo points to god.

Your statement is in complete ignorance of what we (at least I am)

Regret
If we are SO missing something, then why don't we arbitrarily paste over these "holes" with fake plaster like relgion?

Theres an abundance of truth in the world...nothing imo points to god.

Your statement is in complete ignorance of what we (at least I am)

While I respect your view Alliance, I also think that nothing imo points to God's not existing either.

I do agree that marcu is off in his characterization of the non-religious population. I think there is a drive to find the origin and cause of things. One group decides upon God, while the other decides on pure nature (I would use the term science, but I think that religion and science can mix. Nature is the better choice I think.) I think in many cases it is an absolute nature/nurture debate, with the universe as child, and God the debated issue. Did a God influence existence? Or did it develop on its own, no intervention from outside?

While I used the term drive, please do not take it as my stance that such things are innate. I am a strong supporter of the experience teaches school of thought. This "drive" is somehow learned imo.

The Omega
Originally posted by marcu
HAHA! NOT! I know this because I am OLD! I think they do this because they too are searching the truth (GOD). THey are smart people and they feel convicted and know that they are missing something!

Define "old", will you. And then just contemplate if the answer presented up there couldn't be the truth... Do you have the guts to do that?

Religion playes a HUGE role in the modern world. And unfortunately not always a progressive and humanitarian one. So your relatives may simply be searching for answers to, say, why the Catholic Church refuses to raise its ban on contraceptives etc.
The truth is always good. But you have to prove God exists before you can even begin to claim he/she/it is the truth.

I am an atheist and I miss nothing in my life spiritually. Perhaps you should accept that people are different, and not everyone needs religion?

debbiejo
Originally posted by marcu
HAHA! NOT! I know this because I am OLD! I think they do this because they too are searching the truth (GOD). THey are smart people and they feel convicted and know that they are missing something! OLD has nothing to do with it............it's searching your own faith and the roots of it.............Why is it that a 9 year old can have such an open mind onhow and wonder why the world is what it is but yet, the old has been preprogrammed............and fathoms not.........

Alliance
That was beautiful cry

debbiejo
laughing out loud

And what a mystery....

Alliance
yeah....*ponders*...runs to work.

debbiejo
Maybe that is what Jesus meant .............We should all become like children.......Open minded...

Shakyamunison
Maybe that is what Jesus meant .............We should all become like children.......Open minded...

Ya, and kill each other, right? laughing

debbiejo
blink NOooooooo. Open, accepting and curious and in Aw of things.

Shakyamunison
blink NOooooooo. Open, accepting and curious and in Aw of things.

Ohhhh I thought you meant open, like burn those witches. stick out tongue

debbiejo
laughing out loud Sweet little children don't burn witches.......do they????

blink

Shakyamunison
laughing out loud Sweet little children don't burn witches.......do they????

blink

No, I was being sarcastic. stick out tongue

debbiejo
See, we should be more like children in that way. It's older indoctrinated ones that burn witches and make their children watch and applaud.......Which starts the cycle over again for the next generation...

Alliance
but childern are not as intelligent. Do we balance open-mindedness against depth of thought?

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Eis
Oh so that's why you're so tight up... You're off drugs and alcohol.

Do I appear uptight Eis? I feel great! I feel free...

Alliance
laughing sometimes...

Justbyfaith
Kamino Island Washington?

Alliance
There's a Kamino Island????

Justbyfaith
There's a Kamino Island????

Yes, Camano Island...WA. State/ without the K.

Justbyfaith
...and A. I mis-spelled it.

Alliance
that sounds nothing like it.

Kamino is an fictional aquatic planet in the Star Wars Universe...most notably the home of the Grand Army of the Republic.

(personal fascination: comnination of dream planet and home of my heroes)

Referenced in my avy, it refers to my training to become part of that army and my admaration for it.

Justbyfaith
that sounds nothing like it.

Kamino is an fictional aquatic planet in the Star Wars Universe...most notably the home of the Grand Army of the Republic.

(personal fascination: comnination of dream planet and home of my heroes)

Referenced in my avy, it refers to my training to become part of that army and my admaration for it.

Ah, I see the light!

Alliance
It is a light indeed. yes

debbiejo
It's a car........Camino

Alliance
no...It rocks.

debbiejo
but childern are not as intelligent. Do we balance open-mindedness against depth of thought? How does one measure intelligence anyway?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr. Ripped box..

Alliance
There is no real measurement. I just judge based on the general ability of childern to understand concrete/abstract concepts and acess to complex ideas through philosophy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.