Your favorite John Candy film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
All through this previous weekend I was at home watching movies with my sick daughter (she's okay now)and I suddenly found myself watching most (not all) of the John Candy films that I own, which include:

-Uncle Buck
-Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
-Spaceballs
-Only the Lonely
-Delirious
-Who's Harry Crumb?
-Armed and Dangerous

I just wanted to ask everyone here: Am I one of the few that think that this man was an utter genius? What is your favorite John Candy film? Why? I truly get sad sometimes when I think about how he died far too soon before his time. Does anyone else agree?
And for the record, I vote for Uncle Buck.

jaden101
depends if you mean the starring role...if so then i love planes, trains and automobiles

if not then its got to be the blues brothers

BlackSunshine
Uncle Buck

Wolfie
He's never short of great in any of his films. That makes this a hard decision. I guess I'll have to go with Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

And as for minor roles, he was awesome in Vacation.

Pink Maynard
Planes Trains and Automobiles

RogerRamjet
Stripes, 1941 and Blues Brothers

Solo
Spaceballs

Dusty
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Spaceballs

Bardock42
Uncle Buck is one of my favourites for some reason....

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by Impediment
All through this previous weekend I was at home watching movies with my sick daughter (she's okay now)and I suddenly found myself watching most (not all) of the John Candy films that I own, which include:

-Uncle Buck
-Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
-Spaceballs
-Only the Lonely
-Delirious
-Who's Harry Crumb?
-Armed and Dangerous

I just wanted to ask everyone here: Am I one of the few that think that this man was an utter genius? What is your favorite John Candy film? Why? I truly get sad sometimes when I think about how he died far too soon before his time. Does anyone else agree?
And for the record, I vote for Uncle Buck.
Definately Uncle Buck!
Miles: Where do you live?
Buck: In the city.
Miles: You have a house?
Buck: Apartment.
Miles: Own or rent?
Buck: Rent.
Miles: What do you do for a living?
Buck: Lots of things.
Miles: Where's your office?
Buck: I don't have one.
Miles: How come?
Buck: I don't need one.
Miles: Where's your wife?
Buck: Don't have one.
Buck: It's a long story.
Miles: You have kids?
Buck: No I don't.
Buck: It's an even longer story.
Miles: Are you my Dad's brother?
Buck: What's your record for consecutive questions asked?
Miles: 38.
Buck: I'm your Dad's brother alright.
Miles: You have much more hair in your nose than my Dad.
Buck: How nice of you to notice.
Miles: I'm a kid - that's my job.
< Compliments of IMDB Memorable Quotes >

BackFire
Spaceballs

C-Dic
Uncle Buck

But no mention of "Wagons East" or "Canadian Bacon"? It's not he stopped being funny before he died, ya know?

Impediment
Originally posted by C-Dic
Uncle Buck

But no mention of "Wagons East" or "Canadian Bacon"? It's not he stopped being funny before he died, ya know?

I know. I just ran out of space. I liked Canadian Bacon and Wagon's East, too.

Wolfie
Would anyone recommend Nothing But Trouble? I see it in the Walmart $5 bin a lot but I'm hesitant to buy it.

I'm gonna have to check out Canadian Bacon and Wagon's East now.

office jesus
Spaceballs. Hands down.

Impediment
Originally posted by Wolfie
Would anyone recommend Nothing But Trouble? I see it in the Walmart $5 bin a lot but I'm hesitant to buy it.

I'm gonna have to check out Canadian Bacon and Wagon's East now.

IMO, it's shit. Not only is Chevy Chase, the most unfunny man alive, the star, but it's just an all around bad movie which I hated. Candy's dual role as a cop and his behemoth, mute twin sister wasn't anything special.

Aurora
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!!!

I get cracked up just thinking about the part where they are going the wrong way on the interstate!!!

Wolfie
Originally posted by Aurora
I get cracked up just thinking about the part where they are going the wrong way on the interstate!!!
"Oh, he's drunk! How would he know where we're going?" laughing

Alpha Centauri
I can't choose between Spaceballs and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

-AC

papabeard
It's gotta be Planes ,Trains for me,,,,,, I also like Uncle Buck and The Great Outdoors, however I remember walking out of the cinema during Only the Lonely. And the Michael Moore film Canadian Bacon is good also.

WrathfulDwarf
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

And he was also funny in Stripes.

Bloigen
Uncle Buck

Impediment
Bump.

Since the "favorite" trend is here, let's try John Candy: one of the best.

BruceSkywalker
I so loved him in Stripes..

personal faves include.. Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Uncle Buck

gobstakid777
Wagon's East and Spaceballs
also luved him in JFK

wicker_man
Brewster's Millions or Cool Runnings.

-Pr-
Planes, Trains and Automobiles for me. One of the best comedies ever, imo, and more heartwarming than it hasany right to be.

MildPossession
Finally someone mentioned Cool Runnings!! then Uncle Buck, I can't remember any of the others on that list.

Wanderer11

siriuswriter
spaceballs.

and though his part was smaller, 'cool runnings.' that movie is just awesome, so anyone in it is awesome by association.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by RogerRamjet

yeah I cant believe you didnt list Stripes or The Blues Brothers.those two films are EASILY by far my favorite films of his that he has been in.no contest.and yeah he died way before his time.

Lonely Boy
Uncle Buck

charmaine
splash he was great in that. and uncle buck.

Zoom

b00mersl8
OMG I forgot all about Uncle Buck!!! That is a great movie! Although Stripes was pretty funny too.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by gobstakid777
Wagon's East and Spaceballs
also luved him in JFK

off topic here for just a minute.I always tell people that if they are only going to see one more movie the rest of their life,make it JFK.

mbuff73
I liked his small appearence in little shop of horrors because he adlibbed all his lines

jinXed by JaNx
As much as i love big Candy i have to admit that most of his movies are shit. I liked, Planes trains and automobiles, Uncle Buck,only the lonely and the Great Outdoors but thats about it. I enjoy all of his performances though. He had a strong and infectious screen presence. I wish he had the chance to make a few masterpieces though. The guy always seemed to be on the cusp of being paired with the right director. I think Only the Lonely, Uncle Buck and Planes Trains and Automobiles came closest to capturing his true potential as a comedic and dramatic actor.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
As much as i love big Candy i have to admit that most of his movies are shit. I liked, Planes trains and automobiles, Uncle Buck,only the lonely and the Great Outdoors but thats about it. I enjoy all of his performances though. He had a strong and infectious screen presence. I wish he had the chance to make a few masterpieces though. The guy always seemed to be on the cusp of being paired with the right director. I think Only the Lonely, Uncle Buck and Planes Trains and Automobiles came closest to capturing his true potential as a comedic and dramatic actor.

you trying to tell me that The Blues Brothers and Stripes are not masterpieces? dude what are you on?

The Nuul
Spaceballs, Canadian bacon and the Great Outdoors.

Impediment
Originally posted by Mr Parker
you trying to tell me that The Blues Brothers and Stripes are not masterpieces? dude what are you on?

The Blues Brothers? Maybe.

Stripes? Oh, hell, no. Stripes was nothing more than a 90 minute advertisement/recruitment film for the U.S. Army. Pauly Shore did the same thing with "In the Army now".

Mr Parker
The Blues Brothers? Maybe.

Stripes? Oh, hell, no. Stripes was nothing more than a 90 minute advertisement/recruitment film for the U.S. Army. Pauly Shore did the same thing with "In the Army now".

Blues Brothers easily and Stripes was definetely more than that.I seriously doubt that there were any morons out there who were dumb enough to be taken in by that movie who actually believed that the army was like that either.I think everybody knew better that the army is nothing like that at all.that movie had some great classic music to it.very unique movie,the music they play at the end I always could never get out of my head and just loved watching it over and over again when it first came out.one of those rare masterpieces,there will never be a movie like that again about the military,that movie was one in a million.a rare gem.

Andy McFly

Impediment
Bump.

Since the "favorite" trend is here, let's try John Candy: one of the best.

Robtard
I don't consider The Blues Brothers to be a John Candy film, as he had a bit role. But this is the best movie off that list.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

ADarksideJedi
I like all his movies that I had seen.It is a shame that he is dead.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I like all his movies that I had seen.It is a shame that he is dead.

yeah another actor that died way before his time.

Wagons East was his last movie he made.He died during the middle of the filming if it.Thank Goodness he didn't die earlier.He did enough in the movie to where they were able to finish the rest of the film without him and we were thankfully able to see him in one more movie before he left us.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by RogerRamjet

Yeah baby.For me this is no contest.Stripes and Blues Brothers wins this contest by miles.not even close.Now its an extremely tough choice between these two because I love them both so much.Their both in my top 10 favorites of all time.Stripes just BARELY edges The Blues Brothers. Cant believe these two didnt get more votes than they did.I think its probably in the fact that Candy only was a supporting character in those two films where in Planes,Trains,and Automobiles and Uncle Buck,he had the majority of the screentime.

darthmaul1
Plains trains and automobiles.
for his best major roles.
Where's your other hand? between 2 pillows... those aren't pillows!!!

Car Rental Agent: Welcome to Marathon, may I help you?
Neal: Yes.
Car Rental Agent: How may I help you?
Neal: You can start by wiping that ****ing dumb-ass smile off your rosey, ****ing, cheeks! Then you can give me a ****ing automobile: a ****ing Datsun, a ****ing Toyota, a ****ing Mustang, a ****ing Buick! Four ****ing wheels and a seat!
Car Rental Agent: I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.
Neal: And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of ****ing nowhere with ****ing keys to a ****ing car that isn't ****ing there. And I really didn't care to ****ing walk down a ****ing highway and across a ****ing runway to get back here to have you smile in my ****ing face. I want a ****ing car RIGHT ****ING NOW!
Car Rental Agent: May I see your rental agreement?
Neal: I threw it away.
Car Rental Agent: Oh boy.
Neal: Oh boy, what?
Car Rental Agent: You're ****ed!

Blue moon of Kentucky, keep on shining
Shine on the one that's gone and been untrue
Shine on the one who's gone and left me blue
It was on a moonlit night
Stars shinin' bright
They whispered from on high
Your love has said good-bye

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.