Why didn't the Nabooians shoot Darth Maul dead?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Kreiger
In Episode 1 when they were in the Hanger taking it back, Darth Maul opened the door in front of them, unarmed, waiting. Instead of taking the "long way" why didn't they just shoot him dead right there, when they had the perfect oppertunity, leaving Qui-Gon alive, and allowing them a quicker way to the throne

Sin Harvest
Because then you wouldn't have had an awesome battle between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan against Maul.

((The_Anomaly))
Because, then Maul would have breathed fire at them.

no expression

Captain REX
Maul probably would have just dodged or whipped out his lightsaber and blocked.

Plus, Qui-Gon told them to move on, saying that the Jedi would handle it.

TheBalance
Originally posted by Captain REX

i agree with that plus alot more lives would of been lost idf they just blasted him and it would of been harder to infiltrate the throne room without as many ppl

BlaxicanTroller
I think GL wanted the *so far* only black guy in the PT (Mace didn't really count) to have a god fiht seen, not looking all menacing than just get owned by a bunch of underpaid security gaurds with guns.

TheBalance
Originally posted by BlaxicanTroller
I think GL wanted the *so far* only black guy in the PT (Mace didn't really count) to have a god fiht seen, not looking all menacing than just get owned by a bunch of underpaid security gaurds with guns.

i second that motion

Count Kent
Originally posted by Sin Harvest
Because then you wouldn't have had an awesome battle between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan against Maul.

That is a pretty plausible out of universe event.

Originally posted by Captain REX

That is a pretty plausible in-universe event.

That is totally the reason thumbup

Darth Kreiger

Ray Park isn't black....
I understand the whole movie big fight scene thing, but he was unarmed, not ready to pull his saber, would have been over so quick

Captain REX
All Jedi are ready to pull their lightsaber in an instant, and Jedi reflexes can allow you to evade blaster fire if the dodging Jedi is expecting it.

Kaithen
lol, when i was 6 years old i asked a friend this question, he said:

Of course... because the movie isnt going to be bad..

well i actually say that vader blocks blaster shots with just his hand, im sure that maul can do that

BlaxicanTroller
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Ray Park isn't black....
I understand the whole movie big fight scene thing, but he was unarmed, not ready to pull his saber, would have been over so quick

But Darth Maul IS black. Well, at that point he was.

Count Kent
Kaithen, Maul's defence against the force (blocking, suppressing, resisting) is not as good as Vader's or Yoda's. He would not be able to block the bolts with his hand.

Boris
He'd either block them, dodge them, then proceed to kill each and every one of them.

Council#13
Yup, that sure sounds like Supershadow to me

Anyway, this is complete BullShivitz, but Maul might have influenced thier decision with his frightening appearence. Anyway, the Nabooians should have shot him, but as someone said, the Jedi told them they could handle it (which theyd did. Barely).

kamikz
Maul killed more soldiers than that at the Black Sun, and they didn't even slow him down some seconds....

Darth Kreiger
Vader's blocking was in part to his Armor on his glove and Robotic hand, and to the Black Sun guards, I'm sure he had his lightsaber drawn (never read those books)

Count Kent
Actually he was telekenetically pushing the bolts way.

TheBalance
But Darth Maul IS black. Well, at that point he was.

darth maul actually is red with black tatoos but i get what ur getting at.

kamikz
Vader's blocking was in part to his Armor on his glove and Robotic hand, and to the Black Sun guards, I'm sure he had his lightsaber drawn (never read those books)

Uh...I wasn't talking about Maul parrying with his hand, I just said that he defeated alot of other, more experienced thugs in the black sun and defeated them damn fast, these guys would not pose as a problem. I know Maul cannot deflect with his hands.

overlord
Who cares if he's black or red? What does this have to do with fighting?

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Count Kent
Actually he was telekenetically pushing the bolts way.
No he wasn't, there was no rebound of the bolts, they simply impacted on his artificial hand (his glove was smoking) and were ignored as his prosthetic did not have the same amount of sensory feedback as one with synthetic flesh (like Luke's artificial hand did) (when Luke was shot in the hand it only hurt as the synthetic flesh gave sensory feedback of damage, it didn't actually stop the hand from working, or cripple Luke with pain, as a shot to an organic limb would)

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by kamikz
Uh...I wasn't talking about Maul parrying with his hand, I just said that he defeated alot of other, more experienced thugs in the black sun and defeated them damn fast, these guys would not pose as a problem. I know Maul cannot deflect with his hands.

I was refering to another post about his Hand, but their skill does not matter, guards are 15 feet away, his Lightsaber isn't ready, doubtful that he can deflect with his hand as he isn't a Master Sith really, more of a Padawan type. They must be pretty skilled to be the Bodyguards of a leader, like Secret Service.

kamikz
Maul is more than capable of dodgin shots without his saber, and we are talking seconds here. He could easily avoid shots, or jump behind them before they would realise. He could also use the force to push them all away....

http://www.swcomics.com/Republic_Era_c.php?i=9&f=10&name=Darth_Maul_1_of_4

jollyjim311
They all would have died. Someone needs to read the Maul comics. Maul killed a crapload of great mercenaries. Qui Gon had fought his for a few seconds on Tattoine and knew the normal guards would be outclassed by the likes of Maul. Also, time was of the essence and risking the queen didn't seem like a bright idea.

kamikz
yes

Sin Harvest
Darth Maul would have looked up and all would have blasted him. Maul would say "Oh shi---" and would have died. His guard wasn't up or anything.

jollyjim311
His guard wasn't up because he knew they wouldn't shoot. If there was any debate about it, they'd all be dead.

http://www.swcomics.com/Republic_Era_c.php?i=18&f=12&name=Darth_Maul_3_of_4 ... that and a helluva lot more, without a scratch. He could rip the Naboo volunteer guards apart.

kamikz
Yup, in that comic they had even surrounded him, they were still no match for him. And as the leaders said, "it didn't even slow him down a bit".

If they shot, he would have dodged it. Also, neither had their guns pointed at him, he would have sensed if they would point their guns at him, he would flip and turn his saber on and killed most of them....

Jam-Jul_Lison
It would not have taken Maul long to use the force to pull his lightsaber out. Also I think he would have have sensed them getting ready to pull the trigger and used the force to pull the guns out of their hands. It may not have looked like his guard was up but I am sure it was. Deception is the way of the Sith.

As for vader blocking Han's blaster fire. He used the force to more or less absorb and dissapate most of the energy though a little bit did hit his love. He he had not used the force there his hand would have been blown to bits. lol

Imaginary
Originally posted by Jam-Jul_Lison
He he had not used the force there his hand would have been blown to bits. lol

Not really, his armour is good enough to withstand a lightsaber blow, so a blaster would have no effect....and it didnt.

Jam-Jul_Lison
his his armor is strong enough to withstand a lightsaber blow then how come his hand got cut off.

Imaginary
I know, I probably exaggerated a bit. But the energy required from a single laser shot is minimal compared to a lightsaber slash. Theres no way he would have had it 'blown to bits'. Luke's hand was intact after a direct hit, Im sure Vader had better technology put in to protect him.

Wonder why the Emperor didnt just cover him in cortosis stick out tongue Not like he couldnt afford it...

Jam-Jul_Lison
it would have damaged it some at least. lol. vader's skill with the force should not be underestimated. lol.

Darth Vious
As for vader blocking Han's blaster fire. He used the force to more or less absorb and dissapate most of the energy though a little bit did hit his love. He he had not used the force there his hand would have been blown to bits. lol
As I said above, Han's blaster bolt impacted on an artificial limb, which had minimal sensory feedback. Luke took a blaster bolt to his artificial hand (being caught totally off guard, and proving once more how unskilled he, but that's another debate wink ) and it was not 'blown to bits'. All that happened was the synthetic skin was burned away.

Jam-Jul_Lison
It has even been mentioned in some of the books that Vader has some skill in absorbing energy. Heck he had to have been able to tolerate Palpatine's force lighting from Palpatine when he lifted him up into the air to throw him down that shaft. For one thing his body was mostly mechanicle meaning electricity would cause even more hard to him then normal from it. So to be able to remain standing long enough to hurl him over the edge showed he some skill in that.

Darth Vious
It has even been mentioned in some of the books that Vader has some skill in absorbing energy.
That's true, but in the films, such talents were never displayed. Luke did not absorb the energy of the bolt that hit his artificial hand (he was taken completely by surprize), and it was not damaged enough to prevent it functioning properly. Vader's hands did not have the synthetic flesh coverings, and a much more rudimentary sense of touch, so a blaster bolt to one would have not been painfull, and certainly not damaging.

It has even been mentioned in some of the books that Vader has some skill in absorbing energy. Heck he had to have been able to tolerate Palpatine's force lighting from Palpatine when he lifted him up into the air to throw him down that shaft.
On the contrary, in RoDV Palpatine said that he could kill Vader with his Force Lightning, but Vader was uncowed by the thread. As it was, in RotJ, it completely fried the electronics of his respirator, so he clearly was not channelling the energy in any way.

For one thing his body was mostly mechanicle
It wasn't though. Just his forearms, knees and shins and then implants for hearing and the connections for his respirator. The rest was still organic.

So to be able to remain standing long enough to hurl him over the edge showed he some skill in that.
I agree, but I think it was more determination and strength of will than Force ability.

Jam-Jul_Lison
i never said his stuff did not end up competly fried. I am saying he managed to absorb it enough to keep it from frying his systems right away. My guess he stopped absorbing it as he was was actualy throwing him over the edge. As for sheer phycical strength and determination, That is a possibility. My guess it is was a combination of both. Also as for his hand blocking those blaster bolts. Remember Luke only got shot in the hand once. Vader on the other hand took several shots to the hand. Either his could actualy block the bolts and not have his hand damaged or he absorbed. We could argue this point for hours but it would be a waste of time. We will just have to agree to disagree then. As this is not a thread for that. It is a Maul thread. lol.

Darth Vious
i never said his stuff did not end up competly fried. I am saying he managed to absorb it enough to keep it from frying his systems right away. My guess he stopped absorbing it as he was was actualy throwing him over the edge.
I just don't think he was absorbing it at all (his breathing was still affected when he was lifting Palpatine)

As for sheer phycical strength and determination, That is a possibility.
Indeed, people are capable of incredible feats of physical endurance when the situation calls for it. That was one of those situations.

Also as for his hand blocking those blaster bolts. Remember Luke only got shot in the hand once. Vader on the other hand took several shots to the hand. Either his could actualy block the bolts and not have his hand damaged or he absorbed.
That's true, he did take two shots rather than just one, however, I doubt that would make much difference to the damage that would occur, (as the damage to Luke's hand was entirely cosmetic, so I stand by my assertion that he was able to block them without damage.

We could argue this point for hours but it would be a waste of time. We will just have to agree to disagree then. As this is not a thread for that. It is a Maul thread. lol.
Indeed it is, but you said that Vader could have blocked the blaster bolts with his hands (as a Force Power exhibited by Vader) (and Count Kent said he was telekinetically pushing the bolts away) and I'm just pointing out that Vader wasn't using a Force Power to do so, so Maul would be unable to do so (and didn't have artificial hands to use to block them either) smile

Jam-Jul_Lison
the idea of pushing blaster bolts away seems like it would be extremely hard to do for any force user. Guiding it's direction it is heading is one thing. Completly pushing it back in the opposite direction just sounds to hard for any force user to do. I am sure it is possible but it would be hard. It would be easier to lift an X-Wing in the air with the force then do that. lol

Darth Vious
the idea of pushing blaster bolts away seems like it would be extremely hard to do for any force user. Guiding it's direction it is heading is one thing. Completly pushing it back in the opposite direction just sounds to hard for any force user to do. I am sure it is possible but it would be hard. It would be easier to lift an X-Wing in the air with the force then do that. lol
To be honest, I don't think the Jedi even had the ability to deflect or repel blaster bolts, or they would not have developed the Soresu form of lightsaber combat (they would have had no need for it)

kamikz

Obi-Wan some weeks or months after AOTC did it easily, when he was wounded and all. Kyle did so in JO as well. I'm pretty sure that Maul would be able to do the same, not that he would need to though....

Jam-Jul_Lison
Obi-Wan some weeks or months after AOTC did it easily, when he was wounded and all. Kyle did so in JO as well. I'm pretty sure that Maul would be able to do the same, not that he would need to though....

Uh could you please show me some proof of this.

kamikz
Sure bro, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyl08Aejswo&search=Star%20Wars%20clone

Lol it's in the wrong language though.

I don't have time to go in on JO and take a screen shot, but this should be enough.

Pyro Tyrannus
Hey kamik sup?

kamikz
Nothin, chilling, killing... raver

Darth Kreiger
Clone Wars show portrayed the Jedi more Godly than they really were, as did the Comics, they deflect hundreds of Blaster Bolts at once, while in ROTS during Order 66, they only can get a few before being killed

Kaithen
Well what is happening in clone wars is true. And darth vader blocked han solos shot with his hand. And i am sure that darth maul would be able to slay the naboians kinda fast, because it takes time to draw a gun and aim. However, of course maul knows the basics, and i am sure that he knows how to block a shot with the force.

Darth Kreiger
Clone Wars was exaggerated, made more for little kids, the guns were aimed if you would watch the scene in Ep 1, Panaka had his blaster pointed right at him, and blocking Laser Fire isnt a basic, only a few Jedi/Sith were ever able to do it, Vader was learning at the time of ESB, and the Glove took most of it.

kamikz
Thing is that we have seen Obi and Kyle "I have had force powers for one day" Katarn do the same. We have not seen many do it, but that may be because they all had lightsabers and didn't want to take a risk, after all, it is more comfortable to use a saber then trying to deflect it with the force. The people that have done it though, is not the most powerful persons. Blocking with a hand like Darth was indeed impressive, and I don't think that could be copied by Maul, but pushing away the blaster bolts I belive he could do....

And btw, the clone cartoons are approved by Lucas and this is an EU forum, so they count.

Darth Kreiger
Kyle got his powers from the Valley of the Jedi, and he was still a powerful Jedi, most could not use this power, definately not a non-master, and Maul was like a Sith Padawan
Clone Wars was exaggerated, though it was still canon, Mace Windu jumping thousands of feet in the air onto a fighter and using it to blow up other fighters is not possible by any Jedi

Kaithen
Clone wars are completly true.

And the glove doesnt looks like it takes any damage

Everything in clone wars is true. Everything, everything

Maul were able to take a jedi master and a jedi padawan, come on.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Kaithen
Clone wars are completly true.

And the glove doesnt looks like it takes any damage

Everything in clone wars is true. Everything, everything

Maul were able to take a jedi master and a jedi padawan, come on.

It "looks" like it doesn't take damage? You don't really know much from looks alone, his Armor was supposed to be resistant to Lightsabers, thus Blasters wouldn't do much

Maul was skilled at Lightsaber fighting, and Qui-Gon's Ataru was not effective in the closed area, Obi-Wan killed Maul

Clone Wars was canon, but the Jedi Powers were exaggerated, they were not as powerful in the Movies as they were in Clone Wars. Examples being, in the opening, Anakin force Pushing a whole circle of Super Battle Droids away, destroying them. Asajj Ventress using the Force to take down multiple pillars of rock and smashing them on enemies, which would have been a very difficult feat since Yoda took a little time to rise the X-Wing. Asajj Ventress crushing a Ship with the Force alone. Let me think of some more to add

kamikz
I know they may seem a bit exaggerated, and I pretty much know all of the stuff that are. But the thing is that it's okay to do so in a cartoon because it doesn't look as silly as if you did it in the movies, and everybody and everything that happens is approved by Lucas....

Yoda wasn't trying hard at all. He was using one hand AND the X-Wing was stuck under that gluey water. Luke Skywalker even made it about half the way out of the water...

What is overrated here? Anakin has shown to push droids that way, the only difference is that he does it around him, not just at one place..

Again, what is overrated here? Assaj was with the force alone, able to lift up Obi-Wan in the air and prevent him from doing anything at all. Seems pretty powerful, a power displayed by Count Dooku....

Meh, Anakin crushed a whole place with medical equipment as well only by screaming, and this was when he was weakened. Assaj was damn powerful in the force as well, there is no doubt here...

And just because "some" actions are overrated doesn't mean the whole thing is. Obi stops laser blasts coming in at him, a whole bunch actually, on occasional times too. But really, I don't see why Maul would have to do that. He dodged (without using his lightsaber) a machine gun with laser blasts. In about one second he was beside it and crushed it's head. He could get to them before anyone of these voulenteers would know it. Also, he could do a shit load of things with the force to them as well. Maul faced the whole black sun alone, these guys actually had the best thugs available and they knew he came and sent out the best they had (when they were escaping from him). They didn't even slow him down, not even some seconds.....

Darth Kreiger
You can't really put Clone Wars abilitys into the Movies, and I never read the comics, just the ones linked (which really don't show much)
But from what I saw on those, he had his Lightsaber activated, unlikely that he would be able to dodge all of those by the time he gets his saber on, unless he pulls out some Agent ability from the Matrix. He didn't know the Laser Deflect ability, we should stick with that, as I doubt it ever said anywhere he did use it.

kamikz
The cartoons are approved by Lucas nuff said. They are true, the abilities are true, they are to explain the characters development and what happened during the clone wars....

So, he did not use it. He can indeed do it. Why? Because he can sense where they are going to shoot. If you look at the previous pages he dodges some there as well, like ducking, running up from walls, flipping over. Thing is, Maul has beat FAR worse than those guys without getting a scratch, and we are talking SECONDS here. These guys will not prove as a threat. I would have thought the same as you if I hadn't read the comics or any books about Maul, but now I have and I know he will make it.

Darth Vious
Sure bro, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyl08Aejswo&search=Star%20Wars%20clone

Lol it's in the wrong language though.

I don't have time to go in on JO and take a screen shot, but this should be enough.
Oh yeah, so they are... I was going to say that Durge was firing projectile darts, but the droidikas have blasters... Even so, they're still being deflected way clear of Obi-Wan's hand... In ESB, Han's blaster bolts impacted on Vader's palm (glove smoked from the squibs) so he was simply blocking with a mechanical limb rather than using the Force to deflect them.

With regards to Darth Maul's 'level', he may have been a Sith Apprentice, but, he was still able to duel against Jedi Masters (Anoon Bondara and Qui-Gon Jinn to name but two) Also, Palpatine is way more powerfull than Master Yoda, so it could be that the Sith 'ranks' relate to higher skill levels than the Jedi equivelents...

Darth Kreiger
It was Darth Maul's Lightsaber skills that gave him the Upper Hand, as well as the disadvantage of Ataru in the closed space, I was merely making that point for his knowledge of Force Powers.

kamikz
Well even if he cannot push back the laser (which I don't see the problem how he shouldn't), he can still kill them with relative ease....

Kaithen
If they were shooting maul, who would take care of the battledroids and droidekas?

Clone wars are accepted by lucas and are completly true

Even if maul couldnt block, he would be able to dodge and than put on his lightsaber.

Legion_of_Maul
Ray Park isn't black....
he can use the force, so do you think he wouldn't know it was coming?

Kaithen
Thank you...

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Legion_of_Maul
he can use the force, so do you think he wouldn't know it was coming?

That sure didn't help the Jedi during Order 66, they were taken by complete surprise

Kaithen
Oh my lord.... Maul would be able to see shots from prepared nabooians, that were against him coming. I mean, would you even be able to think that your friend is going to shot you...

Decay
this was possibly the coolest moment in ep 1. some of the naboo had seen mauls fight with qui gon and knew he was at least able to stand up to a jedi, and they knew he had a lightsaber. once those doors opened everyone stopped, and decided to take the long way rather than confront him, even with the jedi there. jedi have a pretty good rep and are known as almost inhumanly skilled warriors, maul was able to take a master on, and force him to break combat. he was obviously evil and had no fear of the group of them. i think they didnt shoot becuase they knew he was too much for them. very bad ass.

Kaithen
Thank you wink

Legion_of_Maul
That sure didn't help the Jedi during Order 66, they were taken by complete surprise
they had to take on a legion of the most well trained soldiers in the galazy not sleezy underpaid guards who aren't trained in the kaminoan fighting program, or any program for that matter.

kamikz
Exactly, these were voulenteers, not the best trained soldiers in the galaxy. And the jedi thought they were on their side, of course they didn't excpect to get shot....

Legion_of_Maul
right, and the planet was blockaded, and if you payed attention naboo had a low supply of anything, so these men may have even been underfed, because the confederacy said they would kill off the enitre planet if they had to.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.