Tao te Ching and the Bible - Similar Concepts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
Just some interesting concepts from the Tao te Ching and the Bible placed next to each other. (Bible first followed by Tao te Ching, with the reference following each)

Do good to them which hate you. (Luke 6:27)
Requite hatred with virtue (Chap. 63)

Resist not Evil (Matt. 5:39)
It is because does not contend that no one in the world can contend against him (22)

They that take the sword shall perish with the sword (Matt. 26:52)
The violent man shall die a violent death (42)

Except ye ... become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matt 18:3)
In controlling your vital force to achieve gentleness, Can you become like the newborn child?(10)

Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29)
Who bears himself the sins of the world Is the king of the world (78)

If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all (Mark 9:35)
The Sage puts himself last, And finds himself in the foremost place (7)

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it (Matt. 16:25)
He who aims at life achieves death (50)

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth ... where thieves break through and steal (Matt. 6:19)
When gold and jade fill your hall, You will not be able to keep them safe (9)

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matt. 6:26)
One's own self or material goods, which has more worth? (44)

Whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased. (Matt. 23:12)
He who is to be laid low Must first be exalted to power (36)

Parable of the lost sheep (Matt. 18:12)
Did not say, "to search for the guilty ones and pardon them?" (62)

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin (Matt. 6:28)
clothes and feeds the myriad things (34)

Alliance
There are a great many similarities between religions.

debbiejo
Is that the best you could come up with????...........lol

Alliance
yeah.

debbiejo
laughing out loud

Alliance
no expression

Regret
I figure there are a few possibilities

1) Religions steal from earlier religions. So at some point all religions derived from the same religion.

2) God exists and has inspired people in areas where the Bible, or whichever is believed, is not available to begin religion. The conflicts come from differing interpretation of non-conflicting statements, and/or clergy of any given faith messing with the statements to further their personal ends.

3)Religion is somehow an innate construct, or derived from some thing that is part of the general human experience and so all religions have similarities due to this.

more possibilities exist, but I don't want to type that much atm

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Regret
Just some interesting concepts from the Tao te Ching and the Bible placed next to each other. (Bible first followed by Tao te Ching, with the reference following each)

Do good to them which hate you. (Luke 6:27)
Requite hatred with virtue (Chap. 63)

Resist not Evil (Matt. 5:39)
It is because does not contend that no one in the world can contend against him (22)

They that take the sword shall perish with the sword (Matt. 26:52)
The violent man shall die a violent death (42)

Except ye ... become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matt 18:3)
In controlling your vital force to achieve gentleness, Can you become like the newborn child?(10)

Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29)
Who bears himself the sins of the world Is the king of the world (78)

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it (Matt. 16:25)
He who aims at life achieves death (50)

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth ... where thieves break through and steal (Matt. 6:19)
When gold and jade fill your hall, You will not be able to keep them safe (9)

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matt. 6:26)
One's own self or material goods, which has more worth? (44)

Whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased. (Matt. 23:12)
He who is to be laid low Must first be exalted to power (36)

Parable of the lost sheep (Matt. 18:12)
Did not say, "to search for the guilty ones and pardon them?" (62)

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin (Matt. 6:28)
clothes and feeds the myriad things (34)

This reminds me of the Book Of Mormon. It's all quotes or similarities from those who already have read some or all of the Bible. Funny how something that no one believes gets used so often. stick out tongue

Regret
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
This reminds me of the Book Of Mormon. It's all quotes or similarities from those who already have read some or all of the Bible. Funny how something that no one believes gets used so often. stick out tongue

Given that the Tao te Ching is at least 500-600 years older than the verses I referenced it would seem "funny how something that no one believes gets used so often."

Shakyamunison

It's the other way around. Teachings from the bible where taken from older texts. There are some of the same kind of this in the Lotus sutra and it is 500 years older.

Alliance
Its not suprising at all...It just goest to show the vagery, interchangableness, and unoriginality of religion.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Alliance
Its not suprising at all...It just goest to show the vagery, interchangableness, and unoriginality of religion.

Does anyone believe in Christ in this Religion thread or am I enjoying the fellowship of the Spirit here alone?

It's totally fine with me. I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me. smile

Regret
Does anyone believe in Christ in this Religion thread or am I enjoying the fellowship of the Spirit here alone?

It's totally fine with me. I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me. smile

I believe in Christ. I also find it immature to claim things that are not true. My interpretation of the similarities is that there were people that God inspired in other areas as well. If this isn't the case, then Christ just copied things others had said.

Justbyfaith
I believe in Christ. I also find it immature to claim things that are not true. My interpretation of the similarities is that there were people that God inspired in other areas as well. If this isn't the case, then Christ just copied things others had said.

What do you think about the dangers of those who claim to have new revelations? How can we verify the validity of them Regret?

Alliance

Congratulations.

Regret
What do you think about the dangers of those who claim to have new revelations? How can we verify the validity of them Regret?

Could anyone ever verify the validity of anyone claiming revelation? The majority of prophets during Jeremiah's his time were killed for this belief. There are few prophets that have not been questioned. Christ was questioned when he claimed it.

Amos 3:7

7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

I have never seen a verse of the Bible that claims God stopped revelation to prophets. That is an interpretation of most Christians with little evidence to support it.

Alliance
Perhaps prophets are more to do with hindsight than wth present analysis?

Regret
Perhaps prophets are more to do with hindsight than wth present analysis?

Not sure where your coming from with this

Alliance
I'm saying how a religion determines its porphets is most often done in hindsight, years after thier death.

THen you can: boost the mystecism surrounding them, and hope that people dont remember that they were crazy/justy like everyone else.

Regret
I'm saying how a religion determines its porphets is most often done in hindsight, years after thier death.

THen you can: boost the mystecism surrounding them, and hope that people dont remember that they were crazy/justy like everyone else.

Perhaps. Just is attacking the Mormon belief that God actually speaks to a prophet at the present time. Mainstream Christianity does not believe that such a thing is possible. My response is defending what I believe following that post. He is going off topic to attack my faith because I defended my initial post to the thread.

Alliance
Thats ok. In his religion, nothing new is happening smile

Regret
Thats ok. In his religion, nothing new is happening smile

That is my thought as well wink

Regret
Here are some similarities between Buddhism and the Bible. And once again, just in case someone wants to claim they were copying Christ, Siddhartha Gautama was at least 500-600 years before Christ.

1. Both Jesus and the Buddha were foreordained in a premortal spirit world to come forth at a partic_ular time, after examination and selection of the most favorable family, country, race, and mother to which to be physically born.
2. Both entered the womb of their mother in a miraculous manner, having no mortal father.
3. Both were born into a world whose inhabi_tants' primordial spiritual bodies had become coarse and gross and who had lost much of their original brilliance.
4. The births of both were accompanied by spe_cial heavenly illuminations.
5. Both were recognized in infancy by religious leaders as persons of great promise with special inas_sions to perform among mankind.
6. Both visited holy temples in their youth and displayed unusual precocity and wisdom before their elders: Siddhartha with Asita and Jesus with the scribes and Pharisees.
7. Both launched their ministries early in their thirtieth year following periods of fasting and solitude.
8. Both gained disciples under a fig tree.
9. Both were severely tempted by an evil being (Mara in the one case and Satan in the other).
10. Both selected a council of special disciples and joined with them in carrying out their religious ideals through the way of example.

In addition to these "historical" similarities, agreements in thought and phraseology between the gospels of the New Testament and the Dhammapada of Theravada Buddhism include the following:

From Christ: "Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness. Ye fools, did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also?" (Luke 11:39-40).
From the Buddha: "What is the use of platted hair, O fool! what of the raiment of goat-skins? Within thee there is ravening, but the outside thou makest clean" (Dhammapada 26:394, The Brahmana).

Christ: "trait is the gate, and narrow is the way; which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (Matt. 7:14). "Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we are escaped" (Ps. 124:7).
Buddha: "This world is dark, few only can see here; a few only go to heaven, like birds escaped from the net" (Dhammapada 13:174).

Christ: "Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch" (Matt. 15:14).
Buddha: "As when a string of blind men are clinging one to the other, neither can the foremost see, nor can the middle one see, nor can the hind_most see, just so, methinks, Vasettha, is the talk of the Brahmans versed in the three Vedas" (Tevijja Sutta 1:15).
Jesus said to the woman of Samaria that his salvation is as "living water" (John 4:10-14). In the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha compares salvation to water for all (Saddharmapundarika 5).

Regret
I looked over my last post and noticed a number of typos. My apologies for them.

Alliance
I dont care stick out tongue

Regret
woot smile I finally found something alliance does not care about wink

Alliance
laughing

Regret
go ahead laugh wink it's harder than you'd think cool

Alliance
laughing I dont doubt you. big grin

Storm
Here are some similarities between Buddhism and the Bible. And once again, just in case someone wants to claim they were copying Christ, Siddhartha Gautama was at least 500-600 years before Christ.

Some suggest that Jesus spent his lost years learning Hinduism in India, and that he returned to India after surviving crucifixion.

I believe that a couple of elements of Christianity were derived, or borrowed in some fashion from other religions.

Alliance
I would say originally Zoroastrianism...later pagansim.

meep-meep
I know this might be off topic but these words of knowledge don't sit well with me:

I'm guessing people like Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, Casius Clay, etc. would scoff at such a lackadaisical outlook on life.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Storm
Some suggest that Jesus spent his lost years learning Hinduism in India, and that he returned to India after surviving crucifixion.

I believe that a couple of elements of Christianity were derived, or borrowed in some fashion from other religions. Yes, there are some ancient documents....

http://www.tombofjesus.com/ancient.htm

Regret
Originally posted by Storm

I believe that a couple of elements of Christianity were derived, or borrowed in some fashion from other religions.

There is evidence that he visited the far east. His name was found on a couple of monastery roles at the time of his adolescence. It is suspected that he traveled with a relative that was a merchant. There is evidence suggesting that he traveled north as far as england as well. I do not have the references to support this, but it exists somewhere, at the time I learned it (10-15 years ago) I didn't care as much about maintaining sources.

debbiejo
Look at the post above you...........THERE IT IS.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

The texts are translated for our good pleasure.....

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
Look at the post above you...........THERE IT IS.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

The texts are translated for our good pleasure.....

Well thank you smile didn't realize that's what the link was refering to

Justbyfaith

I have never seen a verse of the Bible that claims God stopped revelation to prophets. That is an interpretation of most Christians with little evidence to support it.

"If we or an angel from heaven preach ANY OTHER GOSPEL to you than what WE have preached to you, let him be accursed."

Galatians 1:8

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in TIMES PAST to the fathers by the prophets, HAS IN THESE LAST DAYS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds."

Hebrews 1:2

Regret
"If we or an angel from heaven preach ANY OTHER GOSPEL to you than what WE have preached to you, let him be accursed."

Galatians 1:8

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in TIMES PAST to the fathers by the prophets, HAS IN THESE LAST DAYS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds."

Hebrews 1:2

This does not state anything saying God would not speak to a prophet. A prophet would not be preaching any other gospel. Also, the Hebrews verse does not suggest an end to revelation being given to prophets, it merely states that God spoke to us through Christ, his son.

Alliance
Jesus also went to the new world in the 1300s or so, stopped by Chichen Itza and and built a little skybox on the ballfield. Didn't you know?

debbiejo
His greatest miracle was the drive through restaurant though..........For that alone I am thankful....

Alliance
I heard he doesnt tip well.

Justbyfaith
This does not state anything saying God would not speak to a prophet. A prophet would not be preaching any other gospel. Also, the Hebrews verse does not suggest an end to revelation being given to prophets, it merely states that God spoke to us through Christ, his son.

Joseph Smith spoke another Gospel. But that would require much time and resources to go into that area of study.

Alliance
And heavan forbid we actually put effort into our thoughts.

debbiejo
And heavan forbid we actually put effort into our thoughts. Yeah, that would be called WISDOM.........

Regret
Joseph Smith spoke another Gospel. But that would require much time and resources to go into that area of study.

It does not contradict the Gospel in the Bible, perhaps the Gospel interpretation that has gone on through the past 1800-1900 years, but not the word of the Bible.

Alliance
"beware least anyone cheat you thorugh philosophy" or logic or truth or common sense...or wisdom.

Justbyfaith
And heavan forbid we actually put effort into our thoughts.

Would this be coming from the expert?

Justbyfaith
Yeah, that would be called WISDOM.........

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 1:7

Shakyamunison
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 1:7

You are the person who has chosen to use that quote, and your intent cannot be washed away because you are using the bible. It is your sin.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You are the person who has chosen to use that quote, and your intent cannot be washed away because you are using the bible. It is your sin.

My motive is no different than yours. You knock and kick my faith around like little blocks. I use God's word to reveal your folly.

Shakyamunison
My motive is no different than yours. You knock and kick my faith around like little blocks. I use God's word to reveal your folly.

If your faith is baseless, then it will be damaged by simple words on a page.

Justbyfaith
If your faith is baseless, then it will be damaged by simple words on a page.

"While we look not at the things that are seen, but at the things that are not seen, for the things that are seen are temporary; but the things that are not seen are eternal."

Shakyamunison
"While we look not at the things that are seen, but at the things that are not seen, for the things that are seen are temporary; but the things that are not seen are eternal."

You don't even understand what you posted. That is a Buddhist concept, like many things that Jesus taught.

Justbyfaith
You don't even understand what you posted. That is a Buddhist concept, like many things that Jesus taught.

I do understand. I tell my wife all the time to not focus on the struggles in this life but to focus on Jesus and the hope of eternal life.

I do understand.

Shakyamunison
I do understand. I tell my wife all the time to not focus on the struggles in this life but to focus on Jesus and the hope of eternal life.

I do understand.

Your understanding then, is shallow. The true nature of reality cannot be understood.

Justbyfaith
Your understanding then, is shallow. The true nature of reality cannot be understood.

Yes it is. You have made a correct statement! big grin

Alliance
and therefore claiming you know it is false.

Alliance
Would this be coming from the expert?
I do feel I put a lot of effort into my thoughts...I'll leave that opinoin to other people.

However...I'm not an endless drone.

debbiejo

Proverbs 1:7 Fear only meant "In Aw"......In awesomeness.......

Justbyfaith
Fear only meant "In Aw"......In awesomeness.......

That is correct. Thank you debbiejo for the interpretation. wink

Alliance
I really want to wirte that en aw

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.