Prophets?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
I decided to start this because I myself don't understand the objection Christians have to God speaking to a prophet today.

Here is the question:

What are the Biblical references that support the idea that a prophet cannot exist today?

An appropriate answer should also include your rationale for your interpretation if the verse can be interpreted in another way than your personal, or your religions, belief has interpreted it. In other words define your method for coming to your interpretation of the scripture rather than just saying "the Holy Spirit told me so." There should be support for your interpretation.

Shakyamunison
Good luck.

Regret
Thanks, I doubt I'll get much real response to it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
Thanks, I doubt I'll get much real response to it.

No.

Some Christians (I guess every one to some degree) are arrogant without really meaning to be. Someone might tell you the scripture, but all they could say about interpretation is that there way is the only way.

Regret
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No.

Some Christians (I guess every one to some degree) are arrogant without really meaning to be. Someone might tell you the scripture, but all they could say about interpretation is that there way is the only way.

That is the typical response I get when asking about their stance against prophets. I never understand it due to the prophets in the Old Testament and beginning of the New Testament, and the fact that by Christ coming and speaking to the apostles following the resurrection the apostles and anyone Christ gave information to at that point can technically be called a prophet, since Christ spoke to them.

Jonathan Mark
I never read anywhere in the Bible that says there can't be prophets in the modern day...

Regret
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
I never read anywhere in the Bible that says there can't be prophets in the modern day...

I don't believe it says it either, yet there is a strong stance in Christianity against the idea. That is the purpose of this thread, to debate the interpretation that there cannot be.

Alliance
I say...if prophets actually existed...whats to stop them form existing now?

Regret
that is my question smile

Shakyamunison
I'm a Prophet. no expression

Regret
in the Biblical sense?

Jonathan Mark
I don't believe it says it either, yet there is a strong stance in Christianity against the idea. That is the purpose of this thread, to debate the interpretation that there cannot be.
I'm a Christian and I have never heard anything along the lines that you speak of. Of course with all the different types of Christians it's hard to tell.

Shakyamunison
in the Biblical sense?

No, I'm not in the bible. I was to late to get in. That is why I became a Buddhist, God pissed me off for putting me here too late.

Regret
What Christian sect do you belong to?

Regret
No, I'm not in the bible. I was to late to get in. That is why I became a Buddhist, God pissed me off for putting me here too late. laughing

Shakyamunison

I don't, most prophets came from outside the sects.

Regret
I don't, most prophets came from outside the sects.

lol, was talking to Jon Mark wink but thanks, was good to know laughing

Shakyamunison
Lets say there are Prophets today. How would you know who is a true prophet, and who is a false prophet?

Regret
Lets say there are Prophets today. How would you know who is a true prophet, and who is a false prophet?

Don't really know. Going from Biblical reference I'd say people in general didn't know the answer to this either. It was stated that a prophet is never accepted in his own country (my line could be slightly off there.) I'll look and see if I can find anything that answers the question.

Regret

I did some searching. I found a lot of information, but I would say that much of it would not be of value to someone not of my faith. Here are some of the quotes that I believe could be relevant to those outside my religion:

I'll keep looking from time to time and see if I can find more reference.

Shakyamunison
I did some searching. I found a lot of information, but I would say that much of it would not be of value to someone not of my faith. Here are some of the quotes that I believe could be relevant to those outside my religion:
I'll keep looking from time to time and see if I can find more reference.

Thank you for your hard work. I am always interested in what the Mormons have to say. smile

Regret
Thank you for your hard work. I am always interested in what the Mormons have to say. smile

lol, is this sincere or sarcasm? wink Either way it doesn't bother me, I don't want to seem to get on a religious high horse if I can help it.

Shakyamunison
lol, is this sincere or sarcasm? wink Either way it doesn't bother me, I don't want to seem to get on a religious high horse if I can help it.

If you read more of my posts you would realize that it is sincere. wink

Regret
That's good. I had thought it was sincere, but thought I'd check since I don't often post in this manner. Here are some more

Jonathan Mark
None of them really... I'm not a fan of Organized Religion. I'm very liberal in my beliefs. To me whether your Jewish, Islam Christian, or Mormon your still worshiping the same God and those little disagreements in doctrine are sort of pointless.

Whether God snapped his fingers and created the Universe or instigated evolution makes no difference to me. One way or another the Universe formed. Personally I take the creation story as simply a symbolic account and not actual fact.

I get along with just about anybody, hell I even have a few friends who are Luciferian.

But as for the entire idea of modern day prophets *shrugs* I don't see why there can't be any.

Mindship
Of course there are prophets...it's the basis of our economic system.

Okay, poor joke is out of my system; onto the meat-n-'tatos.

My guess is, Christianity objects to the idea of modern-day prophets (MDPs) because, in a nutshell, MDPs are a threat to the religious "profits" wink garnered by the Christian Hegemony (I apologize beforehand if my wording is offensive).

As to why there are apparently no MDPs may be because:
1. Actually, there are, but because of the Christian Hegemony on the one hand, AND our secular-scientific paradigm on the other hand, their true nature is not appreciated or made fun of. They can't get the audience they deserve.
2. There are No MDPs because our lives--our heads--are so full of incessant noise (whether it's worrying about one's "investment portfolio," listening to an iPod 25/8, or whatever), the subtler impressions in consciousness which our religious forefathers were able to attune to are just plain drowned out, like the Sun rendering the stars imperceptible in the daytime.

Regret
Cool, thought I'd check. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Of course there are prophets...it's the basis of our economic system.

Okay, poor joke is out of my system; onto the meat-n-'tatos.

My guess is, Christianity objects to the idea of modern-day prophets (MDPs) because, in a nutshell, MDPs are a threat to the religious "profits" wink garnered by the Christian Hegemony (I apologize beforehand if my wording is offensive).

As to why there are apparently no MDPs may be because:
1. Actually, there are, but because of the Christian Hegemony on the one hand, AND our secular-scientific paradigm on the other hand, their true nature is not appreciated or made fun of. They can't get the audience they deserve.
2. There are No MDPs because our lives--our heads--are so full of incessant noise (whether it's worrying about one's "investment portfolio," listening to an iPod 25/8, or whatever), the subtler impressions in consciousness which our religious forefathers were able to attune to are just plain drowned out, like the Sun rendering the stars imperceptible in the daytime.

That is why chanting, meditating or praying is so good for you. It gives you time for that little quiet voice to be heard.

Regret
That is why chanting, meditating or praying is so good for you. It gives you time for that little quiet voice to be heard.

smile I agree

Jonathan Mark
I have tried meditation, but I can never seem to focus.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
I have tried meditation, but I can never seem to focus.

That is why I like chanting. Have you ever sleep with a fan going in your room at night? The fan can make a lot of noise, but if it is a constant pattern, then your mind can erase the sound. That is what it is like to chant, after a while you will be able to focus.

debbiejo
Haven't read through the thread as usually...........sorry.

Ok.......Prophets................Moses, Elisha, ok now ELLEN WHITE????
Actually Ellen White had some great things to say bing a Seventh Day Adventist............but still....................what would the criteria be to be prove besides making one wrong mistake and beining condemned by fire?

Jonathan Mark
That is why I like chanting. Have you ever sleep with a fan going in your room at night? The fan can make a lot of noise, but if it is a constant pattern, then your mind can erase the sound. That is what it is like to chant, after a while you will be able to focus.
That reminds me of my Spanish class when we kept chanting the same vocab over and over again. I would always fall asleep. laughing out loud

Regret
I erased the post due to the amount of discrepency between pages I found on the site I had used.

TheSpinner
If Christianity admits that prophets could exist now days. It will be automatically admitting that Mohammed could be a real prophet sent from GOD. If the Idea ever flies and Mohammed is confirmed as a possible Prophet; then Islam could possibly triumph over Christianity; because it would be seen as the possible latest and greatest revised version of religion that came from GOD.

As a devout Christian, do you really want to take that risk?.... No !I didn't think so either. IT IS ALL A CONSPIRACY ABOUT SURVIVAL of the CHURCH ( very wise business decision indeed! Why give your competitors any chance at all by admitting to your own customers that the competitors may actually have a better product) wink

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht! I didn't tell you this!

Regret
evillaugh laughing laughing

TheSpinner
evillaugh laughing laughing

And have you ever even remotely considered that it may just be possible. See! we are all part of the conspiracy and we don't give a damn about the TRUTH when our own survival is on the line.

embarrasment: Happy Dance .......

smokin'

Regret
Originally posted by TheSpinner
And have you ever even remotely considered that it may just be possible. See! we are all part of the conspiracy and we don't give a damn about the TRUTH when our own survival is on the line.

embarrasment: Happy Dance .......

smokin'

Well, being that I'm Mormon, I figure it may be possible wink Only I think we would be more recent than the Muslims would

TheSpinner
Well, being that I'm Mormon, I figure it may be possible wink Only I think we would be more recent than the Muslims would

I like this answer much better than the previous one. Anything is possible untill it is TRULY proven ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLEwink

debbiejo
According to scripture a prophet can only be 100% correct or be burned/stoned/killed......who would that leave for today..........and were they always 100% correct, or is that just another story.

Regulus A Black
Originally posted by debbiejo
According to scripture a prophet can only be 100% correct or be burned/stoned/killed......who would that leave for today..........and were they always 100% correct, or is that just another story.

be burned stoned and kill, sounds to me like that one guy what's his name, oh yeah Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church

Regret

I'm not sure what scripture you are referring to. Does it say if he is not correct that man will burn/stone/kill him?

I would have to tell you that no they were not always correct. Prophets will be correct when speaking for the Lord, but they are still men, and still make mistakes when they are not speaking for the Lord.

debbiejo
Duet 18:20 False prophets are to be executed. How do you know who is a false prophet? By whether or not their predictions come true.

Regret
Duet 18:20 False prophets are to be executed. How do you know who is a false prophet? By whether or not their predictions come true.

This isn't true as a measure of the validity of a prophet.

The prophet Jeremiah was so upset about his failed prophecies that he called God a liar (Jer. 15:18). Jeremiah predicted that King Zedekiah would "die in peace: and with the burning of ...odours" (Jer. 34:5). Instead, however, Zedekiah's children were slaughtered, his eyes were put out, and he died in prison. Jonah was commanded twice to go cry repentance to the people of Nineveh. Jonah then prophesied that the city would be overthrown in forty days (Jonah 3:4). The people of Nineveh repented, however, and God spared them. Jonah was angry with God that his prophecy and not been fulfilled, and the Lord needed to rebuke Jonah for his anger.

debbiejo
False prophets speaking in the name of God, should be killed is what is taught...

17And Jehovah said unto me, They have well said that which they have spoken. 18I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

20But the prophet, that shall speak a word presumptuously in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die. 21And if thou say in thy heart, How shall we know the word which Jehovah hath not spoken? 22when a prophet speaketh in the name of Jehovah, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which Jehovah hath not spoken: the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously, thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Regret
False prophets speaking in the name of God, should be killed is what is taught...

17And Jehovah said unto me, They have well said that which they have spoken. 18I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

20But the prophet, that shall speak a word presumptuously in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die. 21And if thou say in thy heart, How shall we know the word which Jehovah hath not spoken? 22when a prophet speaketh in the name of Jehovah, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which Jehovah hath not spoken: the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously, thou shalt not be afraid of him.

I apologize for not reading the verses earlier. The common Christian interpretation of these verses is that they are in reference to the Messiah, Christ.

Deuteronomy 18:18
18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee... (The Lord speaking to Moses)

This series of verses would then be referring to false Messiah's.

Now, I do not entirely agree with this interpretation. I believe that there must be some more to it than this. My religion states that anything a prophet says in the name of the Lord will come to pass. This would be in line with verse 22. I believe I should check the quotes I used for Jeremiah and Jonah, and read the full prophecies written to verify that there was not a clause in the prophecy allowing for the prophecy to be avoided. Now if the verses do refer to the Messiah and false Messiah's, then my statements hold all the same.

I am unsure as to the manner that the prophet shall die. It does not state the method.

debbiejo
Well I believe that speaking in the name of the LORD is what is meant....which the church would say was Satan then deceiving them....Funny though cause in many Pentecostal churches...you have people speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues, which is supposed to be a message from god.......and I have seen in many many circumstances where it has been FALSE..Yet no one complains....hmm

Regret
Lol, yeah I've seen that as well.

I agree with you.

maham
I decided to start this because I myself don't understand the objection Christians have to God speaking to a prophet today.

Here is the question:

What are the Biblical references that support the idea that a prophet cannot exist today?

An appropriate answer should also include your rationale for your interpretation if the verse can be interpreted in another way than your personal, or your religions, belief has interpreted it. In other words define your method for coming to your interpretation of the scripture rather than just saying "the Holy Spirit told me so." There should be support for your interpretation.

Well,I m a Muslim n v blieve that there is no Prophet after The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallahu alaihi wassallum).My reasons? Well,the 1 that u said v can't use 'Cuz God told me so'.Other than that God has sent about 124000 on Earth 4 the guidance of mankind.The reasons y a Prophet was sent were :

- Bcuz the nation of the previous Prophet had 4gotten the rite ways n there was a need 4 another Prophet 2 revive the true message of God(i.e. God is 1).

- Bcuz the Holy book given 2 the nation by their Prophet 4m God was corrupted by the ppl n there was a need 4 another Prophet 2 falsify the corrupted scripture n bring the ppl on the rite path .

- Bcuz there was a need 4 a Prophet 2 assist another.

- Bcuz no Prophet had ever come 4 the nation 2 convey the message of God.

Quran is a complete book of giudance n Islam is a complete religion.There is no need 4 a Prophet after the Holy Prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasallum).So...there u go.

Regret
Originally posted by maham
Well,I m a Muslim n v blieve that there is no Prophet after The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallahu alaihi wassallum).My reasons? Well,the 1 that u said v can't use 'Cuz God told me so'.Other than that God has sent about 124000 on Earth 4 the guidance of mankind.The reasons y a Prophet was sent were :

- Bcuz the nation of the previous Prophet had 4gotten the rite ways n there was a need 4 another Prophet 2 revive the true message of God(i.e. God is 1).

- Bcuz the Holy book given 2 the nation by their Prophet 4m God was corrupted by the ppl n there was a need 4 another Prophet 2 falsify the corrupted scripture n bring the ppl on the rite path .

Quran is a complete book of giudance n Islam is a complete religion.There is no need 4 a Prophet after the Holy Prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasallum).So...there u go.

The following is not meant to cause offense to you, it is merely a series of questions about your beliefs.

Will another prophet come at some point? It seems that given divisions in Islam that there is the possibility of corruption entering Islam, is this possible given Islamic belief? How accurate is the hadith, I am unsure of the Islamic belief as to degree of accuracy that occurred during the gathering of the hadith. If I remember correctly the haddith and sunna came following the prophet's death.

lil bitchiness

Here is the question:

I don't understand why does it matter what Christians think?

Noone ever asks why Jews think something or why Muslims think something, or even more interestingly and debate worthy why Hindus and Buddhists think something.

Why is religion in general defined through Christianity?

As far as the thread and the prophets go -

Why should I bow down to a God which refuses to speak to me himself, but must send a MAN to preach to the rest of us.

Am I not worthy to be spoken to by this divine which will, may I add, ''smite me'' and ''send me to hell'' if I don't do what ''HE'' says?

Also, does Abrahamic God have absolutely NOTHING else to say to me apart from what ''he'' has said in Torah, Bible and the Qur'an?
Is that all he has to say to me?

''worship me or go to hell''? ''follow my rules or go to hell''

''dont have sex, don't eat pork, hate everyone who is having sex and eating pork, abortion is bad, gay peopel are bad, worship me or go to hell,...'' etc...

Bardock42
Seriously, lil b, although I happen to agree with you on a lot of issues, you have the unbelievable ability to make everything sound like a war of the sexes....

Regret
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Noone ever asks why Jews think something or why Muslims think something, or even more interestingly and debate worthy why Hindus and Buddhists think something.

Why should I bow down to a God which refuses to speak to me himself, but must send a MAN to preach to the rest of us.

Am I not worthy to be spoken to by this divine which will, may I add, ''smite me'' and ''send me to hell'' if I don't do what ''HE'' says?

Also, does Abrahamic God have absolutely NOTHING else to say to me apart from what ''he'' has said in Torah, Bible and the Qur'an?

''dont have sex, don't eat pork, hate everyone who is having sex and eating pork, abortion is bad, gay peopel are bad, worship me or go to hell,...'' etc...

Hindus are very complex, so I don't feel like getting into a debate on their beliefs. Buddhists are rather logical, and I don't have any disagreements with them on why they believe how they do.

I am a form of Christian, but not accepted by mainstream Christianity. Their reasons for the varying doctrines that exclude me are of interest to me. I understand their rationale behind a few of the conflicts between my beliefs and theirs, and no longer debate over those topics. This is a subject that I do not understand the rationale behind the stance.

The KMC religion forum is probably the most open and least Christian dominated forum I have come across. I feel that if I can get a Christian to respond here we can have a serious debate over the issues, unlike what would occur in other forums. In other forums I end up with a large number of Christians jumping down my throat for my belief, and very few actually responding to the questions in a manner that answers them.

I think the real question is, why do you feel so threatened by a thread like this? I believe that if you were in an Islamic country you would have Muslims instead of Christians and have similar issues with it (well, if they'd allow a non-muslim to actually comment on religion without bad things happening to them.) Same if you were in any area where a religion held the majority.

It matters because Christians are the majority in western nations. Everyone has to deal with a Christian at some point in the western world.

Regulus A Black

No offense but here is my interpretation, correct me if i'm wrong on your reasons of why God sends a prophet

sounds to me like one of the reasons God sends a prophet is because his people, which is everybody in the world, were corrupt, they were not following as he commands, and you say there is no need for a prophet today. sure there are groups of righteous people, but there are also those that are corrupt, by saying there is no need for a prophet, you are either saying God has given up on his people, which he wouldn't do, or there is no corruption in this world, which of course there is. I believe that there is always a need for a prophet on the earth, even until the second coming of Christ, at which point Christ will become our prophet and king

He doesn't refuse to speak to you himself, we don't listen because we are too busy doing the things of the world, that we block out his voice. It is highly unlikely that he is ever going to appear to you, but he does speak to you, through the Holy Ghost, the spirit tells you if something is right or wrong in the sight of God, it tells you if something is true or not, but the Holy Ghost can only dwell with you if you are spritually clean, meaning you are keeping what God has commanded you. So here's a challenge, Pray to God, ask him, if something is right or wrong, keep your thoughts and actions clean, and listen for the Holy Ghost to give you the answer, because believe it or not he will. you have to be doing your part and listening though

docb77

Well, what people is going to admit that their book or beliefs has been corrupted? What you've said would tend to indicate that a prophet would indicate past corruption of the writings or their interpretations, rather than the existence of a book indicating whether or not a prophet is needed.

Alliance
(sallahu alaihi wassallum)

Is this PBUH? "Peace be unto him?"

Regret
sallahu alaihi wassallum = Holy Prophet Muhammad

Alliance
literally or is it a reference?

Regret
Here's the link where I found it, was a pain searching for it

Alliance
Then why refecence him twice?

Regret
I have no clue, it may not be accurate since this was the only one I could find. Hopefully maham gets back on so we can find out for sure.

Alliance
I was just curious...i heard PBUH for the first time from a Muslim...I was just wondering if its a like translation.

Regret
Perhaps, hopefully maham comes back so we can find out.

Alliance
You have a consistancy problem my friend. wink

Regret
huh I'm lost, was I inconsistent with something?

Alliance
Hopefully maham gets back on so we can find out for sure.

Perhaps, hopefully maham comes back so we can find out.

Hopefully maham gets back on so we can find out for sure.

Hopefully maham comes back so we can find out.

Hopefully we can find out soon, if maham comes back.

I like pickels.

Regret
Oh, lol...didn't realize I'd said a similar thing...comes from responding on too many threads. I should check my posts before posting... eek!

Alliance
laughing

I'm just pressing buttons. I still cant believe you said it like 6 times though.

Regret
Did I say I liked pickels?...I do though, ESP?

Regret
laughing laughing laughing smokin'

Alliance
No.....lible.

Regret
laughing

Alliance
ITS NOT FUNNY mad

LIBLE IS A SERIOUS CRIME mad

Regret
Go to Jail, go directly to Jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200

mad laughing

Alliance
football

maham
Originally posted by Alliance
Is this PBUH? "Peace be unto him?"

Correct

maham
The following is not meant to cause offense to you, it is merely a series of questions about your beliefs.

Will another prophet come at some point? It seems that given divisions in Islam that there is the possibility of corruption entering Islam, is this possible given Islamic belief? How accurate is the hadith, I am unsure of the Islamic belief as to degree of accuracy that occurred during the gathering of the hadith. If I remember correctly the haddith and sunna came following the prophet's death.

Gud q.s I must say!

Well,here r the answers:
Q1: No,accordin 2 our bliefs,The Holy Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wasallum) is the last n final of all the Prophets n there will b no Prophet after Him.

Q2:The Islamic bliefs hav bin corrupted 2 some extent by tha Mullahs,but the Holy Quran hasn't bin n it never will b as God Himself has taken the responsibility of protectin it.So,if u hav a problem with findin out abt the orders,just look in the Holy Quran.All answers r there mainly.Any explanations canb sought out in profound books by well-known n profound Ulmas.

Q3:A Hadith is a quote by Holy Prophet (sallAllahu alihi wasallum) explainin the laws in Islam or any orders in the Holy Quran mostly.A Hadith can b farbricated,but again,there r books on it by afew profound Ulmas (Religious Scholars) which can b sought 4 further guidance.N yes,HAdith n Sunnah came after the Death of the Holy Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wasallum).

Regret
Gud q.s I must say!

Well,here r the answers:
Q1: No,accordin 2 our bliefs,The Holy Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wasallum) is the last n final of all the Prophets n there will b no Prophet after Him.

Q2:The Islamic bliefs hav bin corrupted 2 some extent by tha Mullahs,but the Holy Quran hasn't bin n it never will b as God Himself has taken the responsibility of protectin it.So,if u hav a problem with findin out abt the orders,just look in the Holy Quran.All answers r there mainly.Any explanations canb sought out in profound books by well-known n profound Ulmas.

Q3:A Hadith is a quote by Holy Prophet (sallAllahu alihi wasallum) explainin the laws in Islam or any orders in the Holy Quran mostly.A Hadith can b farbricated,but again,there r books on it by afew profound Ulmas (Religious Scholars) which can b sought 4 further guidance.N yes,HAdith n Sunnah came after the Death of the Holy Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wasallum).

Thanks.

Justbyfaith
According to scripture a prophet can only be 100% correct or be burned/stoned/killed......

Happy Dance eek! I knew we could agree on something! Dare we look into the accuracy of the so called, "Modern Day Prophets"? (Post> 1st. Century)

Alliance
Correct
w00t

Thanks! big grin

Regret
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
Happy Dance eek! I knew we could agree on something! Dare we look into the accuracy of the so called, "Modern Day Prophets"? (Post> 1st. Century)

You probably should if you are attacking it.

debbiejo
Soooooo what does that say about all the protestant churches that speak in tongues that are not becoming fulfilled???.....Oh, and televangelists...

Alliance
what are these tounges?

debbiejo
What are they??? blink

Tongues are popular in more charismatic churches......they are considered one of the fruits of the spirit, but many churches believe that unless you can speak in THESE TONGUES (based on Pentecost...ie book of Act), that you are not really saved.......Tongues are pretty much senseless babblings, not at all what was the original story in Act, which were other languages for a purpose of telling others who couldn't understand. But the church today uses them constantly as THE WORD OF GOD OR HIS ANGELS.........MESSAGES.......

Some churches even give classes in how to do it...........Some fruit...You got to be taught????????

Alliance
never heard of them.

debbiejo
What......you live in a cave??? confused stick out tongue

Alliance
cant see me out of your box? stick out tongue

debbiejo
cant see me out of your box? stick out tongue Hmmm I'm hearing echos of words that say "explore everything, then you will know".....

echo echo echo............ roll eyes (sarcastic)

*fixes Alliances ripped up box*...... stick out tongue

Alliance
Show some respect for my rippage.

and btw...if you hear an echo...youre on the inside...physics killerd your argument roll eyes (sarcastic)

maham
Thanks.

Ur most welcome!

w00t

Thanks! big grin

LOl! Ur welcome!

maham
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Waoh! Chillax!

Prophets were gr8 ppl.They had never committed a single sin.Can u come up 2 that standard?

They were very very patient.They dedicated their lives 2 bring the ppl 2 the rite path n 2 convey the message of God.Most of the times,the situation wud get so severe that the ppl tried 2 (or mostly did) murder them.They had 2 endure so many hardships.Ppl teased them,taunted them,scorned them n laughed at them,but they never complained n always thanked God 4 watever was given 2 them.D u think ur strong enuf 2 endure all that?

It's a HUGE responsibility n I bet if any such responsibility wud'v bin given 2 any of us,v wud'v committed suicide.

Moral of story:U can't b a Prophet so stop hopin 2 b 1.

Alliance
Some of us don't cop out in the face of responsibility.

Prophets are personally...annyoing.

(but not as much the opinoin that someone can be perfect)

docb77
Depends on what you mean by perfect. I read somewhere that when Jesus commanded his disciples to be perfect, that another way to translate the word perfect is complete. I do think that people can eventually acheive that kind of perfection. Think of it like the pyramid of self actualization (I don't remember the name of the guy that came up with it) First we need to take care of our physical needs, then emotional, and so on, until we eventually become masters of our selves.

Alliance
That pyrimid is extremely scinetifically unstable.

I was using the word perfect in its common modern context.

But yes you are correct, i doubt maham was using an ancient definition.

maham
Some of us don't cop out in the face of responsibility.

Prophets are personally...annyoing.

(but not as much the opinoin that someone can be perfect)

Prophets weren't perfect,but better than any of us.

Alliance
How so...I've never heard of some of them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.