The Big Lebowski

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FlexMaster Funk
I watched this movie for the second time today. It is hilarious. Anyone else seen it?

Hotpants
One of my favorite movies of all time.

FlexMaster Funk
Mine too.

Dusty
Hilarious, man.

I'm letting this be the official Dude thread. There are only a few, and they have about 6 posts in them.

Nevermind
I love this movie! It's oh so funny and very original.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
There is no greater movie than 'The Big Lebowski'. It is an example of how perfect the Coen Brothers were before they started making shit movies.

Long live The Dude.

I abide.

BackFire
Great movie.

Also for Lebowski fans, check this out. Funny shit.

http://gorillamask.net/hebowski.shtml

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, my! That's comedy gold right there!

"I f*ck you! I f*ck you!"

BackFire
Yeah, I watch it weekly almost, so damn funny. 'They pee'd on your ****ing rug?"

papabeard
Love it!

Hotpants
The Dude: ****in' Quintana... that creep can roll, man.
Walter Sobchak: Yeah, but he's a pervert, Dude.
The Dude: Yeah.
Walter Sobchak: No, he's a sex offender. With a record. He served 6 months in Chino for exposing himself to an eight year old.
The Dude: Oh!
Walter Sobchak: When he moved to Hollywood he had to go door to door to tell everyone he was a pederast.
Donny: What's a... pederast, Walter?
Walter Sobchak: Shut the **** up, Donny

dave_kodak
Epic.

Dusty
Ninja Turtles Big Lebowski

laughing

FlexMaster Funk
Originally posted by Dusty
Ninja Turtles Big Lebowski

laughing

I just added that to my favorites list.

Wolfie
This is a favorite of mine. My favorite part is when Walter is bashing the car. "This is what happens when you f*ck a stanger in the ass!"

"This isn't about the f*ckin' Chinaman! And Dude, Asian-American, please."
"This isn't the guy that built the f*ckin' railroads! He pissed on my rug!"

Dusty
"Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature." laughing out loud

FattyArbuckle&l
"Donny you're out of your element"

My friends and I always say this to eachother (insert name) whenever someone is clueless on something.

-Tired Hiker-
Arguably the best movie ever made. "Obviously you're not a golfer."

Wolfie
"Where's the f*cking money, shithead?"
"It's down there somewhere, let me take another look."

Dresta
immense film.

Reverend Maynar
Bunny Lebowski: Blow on them.
The Dude: You want me to blow on your toes?
Bunny Lebowski: I can't blow that far.
The Dude: Are you sure he won't mind?
Bunny Lebowski: Ulli doesn't care about anything. He's a Nihilist.
The Dude: Ah. Must be exhausting.

-Tired Hiker-
Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Flamboyant4Life
**** it, let's go bowling.

dadudemon
I searched for this thread, high and low, and could not find. It took the massive search abilities of a mod to find this thing.

I watched the movie for the first time, last night. Yes, I've been a "The Big Lebowski" virgin for 11 years.

First of all, I have NO idea what the big deal is about the movie. There was nothing remarkable, groundbreaking, or awesome about it. The only thing awesome about the film is that some of the characters are based off of real people the Coen Brothers knew. That's pretty flippin' sweet.

I must say, I've been let down again. I was expecting some awesome hilarity that made my sides hurt. I didn't get that. The funniest part of the film is when Donnie approaches Walter and tells him that the next tournie meet is on Friday. Walter immediately responds with his usual, "Shut the f*ck up, Donnie...wait, what? Friday?" And then goes into his diatribe. That was pretty funny. I also got a laugh when Walter was beating the shit out of what he thought was Larry Sellers car. I found it quite funny as he screamed, "this is what happens when you f*ck someone in the ass, Larry!" And then, there's this part where John Goodman does this quick little step run thingie before he smashes out the head light. I don't know why, but that was really funny.

Other than that, the comedy was flat and recycled. The story was predictable as soon as Maude tells The Dude that her father withdrew the money from the foundation (though, to the Coen Brothers' credit, I think that was intentional as the watcher is supposed to get pissed at the characters being douche-bag idiots.) The story was annoying, and the characters were frustratingly stupid. I get that people find that funny (Michael Scott, is an example of this.), but I don't.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that some of the people that recommended this movie to me as an absolute MUST SEE had crappy taste. But some of those same people call Animal House a comedy legend....and that it is. The Big Lebowski most definitely is not.

Please, can someone explain this cult following?

Also, my internet screen name was original, "TheDudeMan." A line spoken be Jeff Lebowski as follows, "...I'm 'The Dude,' man." A coincidence, only, but I found it interesting.

I give the film a 5 out of 10...but I'm leaning towards a 4.

Impediment
In my opinion, it's an overrated movie. It's funny, but not hilarious. Some people love it, though. It has some good quotes, I have to admit.

Blinky
AT DDM:
----------------------------------------------------
Possible reason that you were disappointed : You were lookin' for a "side splitting " comedy. Wrong way to go into this film. What you did was like going and renting Big Trouble In Little China expecting to see an "on the edge of your seat" action movie, then saying the movie was shit. I love The Big Lebowski but would never describe it as "side splitting" material.

Another possible reason : this movie just isn't your taste. The The Big Lebowski is all about dialogue and characters, that's all it has, man. The story itself is orginal , IMO, but I suppose some can dismiss it as shit. If you hate well written odd-ball characters and subtly-funny tongue in cheek (best way I can discribe it) dialogue, of course you'll not think much about this movie.

From what you have posted in other threads, you adore the Dark Knight, and think it's "legendary" (I think it's the most overrated film of all time--mediocre at best) I think that explains why you dislike The Big Lebowski movie -- not your bag of chips.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by dadudemon
I searched for this thread, high and low, and could not find. It took the massive search abilities of a mod to find this thing.

I watched the movie for the first time, last night. Yes, I've been a "The Big Lebowski" virgin for 11 years.

First of all, I have NO idea what the big deal is about the movie. There was nothing remarkable, groundbreaking, or awesome about it. The only thing awesome about the film is that some of the characters are based off of real people the Coen Brothers knew. That's pretty flippin' sweet.

I must say, I've been let down again. I was expecting some awesome hilarity that made my sides hurt. I didn't get that. The funniest part of the film is when Donnie approaches Walter and tells him that the next tournie meet is on Friday. Walter immediately responds with his usual, "Shut the f*ck up, Donnie...wait, what? Friday?" And then goes into his diatribe. That was pretty funny. I also got a laugh when Walter was beating the shit out of what he thought was Larry Sellers car. I found it quite funny as he screamed, "this is what happens when you f*ck someone in the ass, Larry!" And then, there's this part where John Goodman does this quick little step run thingie before he smashes out the head light. I don't know why, but that was really funny.

Other than that, the comedy was flat and recycled. The story was predictable as soon as Maude tells The Dude that her father withdrew the money from the foundation (though, to the Coen Brothers' credit, I think that was intentional as the watcher is supposed to get pissed at the characters being douche-bag idiots.) The story was annoying, and the characters were frustratingly stupid. I get that people find that funny (Michael Scott, is an example of this.), but I don't.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that some of the people that recommended this movie to me as an absolute MUST SEE had crappy taste. But some of those same people call Animal House a comedy legend....and that it is. The Big Lebowski most definitely is not.

Also, my internet screen name was original, "TheDudeMan." A line spoken be Jeff Lebowski as follows, "...I'm 'The Dude,' man." A coincidence, only, but I found it interesting.

I give the film a 5 out of 10...but I'm leaning towards a 4. That's just like... your opinion, man.

Robtard

Characters, dialogue and how they all interact with each other is brilliant.

Just as a point of reference, what are your three favorite movies/movies you think are exceptional?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard

****in' eh. The best parts are when Walter and the Dude are arguing about whatever, or when Walter is having one of his rants, if you watch the looks on Donnie's face, priceless.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Blinky
AT DDM:
----------------------------------------------------
Possible reason that you were disappointed : You were lookin' for a "side splitting " comedy. Wrong way to go into this film. What you did was like going and renting Big Trouble In Little China expecting to see an "on the edge of your seat" action movie, then saying the movie was shit. I love The Big Lebowski but would never describe it as "side splitting" material.

Another possible reason : this movie just isn't your taste. The The Big Lebowski is all about dialogue and characters, that's all it has, man. The story itself is orginal , IMO, but I suppose some can dismiss it as shit. If you hate well written odd-ball characters and subtly-funny tongue in cheek (best way I can discribe it) dialogue, of course you'll not think much about this movie.

From what you have posted in other threads, you adore the Dark Knight, and think it's "legendary" (I think it's the most overrated film of all time--mediocre at best) I think that explains why you dislike The Big Lebowski movie -- not your bag of chips.

Thank you very much for you input. I really appreciate this type of intelligent feedback. I think I understand where I went wrong. Backfire gave this movie a strong recommendation and I must say that no movie Backfire spoke highly of has ever earned less than a 7 from me.

I was just...let down and disappointed. I was rather excited to see the film because of the rave from people on here I trust input from. (i.e. Robtard, RJ, Backfire, Sadako, etc.)

The Dark Knight IS legendary, but not my all time favorite. I would put Inglorious Bastards ahead of TDK in my all time favorite list.

Just as a point of reference, what are your three favorite movies/movies you think are exceptional?

Hmm. I disagree. At times it was entertaining...but altogether, it was a tad annoying and repetitive.

That'd be hard to say, really. I did list some movies that made my "9's" list to Sadako. I'll just post them here from my Netflix list.

Donnie Darko
Dark City
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Inglorious Bastards
Equilibrium
Gladiator
Star Wars (all 6 earned 9s)
Matrix (all 3 earned 9)
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Gattaca
The Count of Monte Cristo (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Paparazzi (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Hot Rod. (One of the funniest movies I've seen.)
The Incredibles.
The Inside Man.
The Island. (My wife and I watched it on our first date...so it's special.)
Les Miserables
Minority Report.

That's not all of them. That's just the first 20 or so from my top netflix ratings.

BackFire
This is a movie where expectations can backfire on you. The comedy is very slight and nuanced and easy to miss. It's by no means a side splitter.

It's just very quotable. It's a movie that really grew on me after some time and after a few viewings. The characters are in my opinion very likeable and it's just fun to watch them. Especially Walter, he's pure gold.

jaden101
Thank you very much for you input. I really appreciate this type of intelligent feedback. I think I understand where I went wrong. Backfire gave this movie a strong recommendation and I must say that no movie Backfire spoke highly of has ever earned less than a 7 from me.

I was just...let down and disappointed. I was rather excited to see the film because of the rave from people on here I trust input from. (i.e. Robtard, RJ, Backfire, Sadako, etc.)

Donnie Darko
Dark City
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Inglorious Bastards
Equilibrium
Gladiator
Star Wars (all 6 earned 9s)
Matrix (all 3 earned 9)
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Gattaca
The Count of Monte Cristo (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Paparazzi (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Hot Rod. (One of the funniest movies I've seen.)
The Incredibles.
The Inside Man.
The Island. (My wife and I watched it on our first date...so it's special.)
Les Miserables
Minority Report.

An unusual list to say the least. I always thought that Donnie Darko was a film that mainstream filmgoers refer to as complicated and mature when most people that say that clearly haven't even heard of some of the most complicated and difficult films to penetrate beyond the surface. Primer is the perfect example. It even says on the dvd case "Donnie Darko for grown ups".

If you "really really really" like revenge movies then I suggest you get this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vAk3Og3HLA

It's cheap but it's absolutely astounding.

In the context of the entire movie this is probably one of the most touching scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sRwUFob18A&feature=related

As for the rest of them...A few that are badly underrated (Gattaca and Equilibrium) and some that are so far overrated it is utterly disgraceful that people fall for the hype. (Dark Knight)

A few I would recommend you see if you haven't already would be the two mentioned already plus

Casshern
Sympathy for Mr Vengence (along with the other 2 in the vengence trilogy...most people know Oldboy but now Lady vengence and Mr vengence)
eXistenZ
Mullholland Drive

Mairuzu
Dead mans shoes! What an awesome movie that was.

Tired-Hiker

I give the film a 5 out of 10...but I'm leaning towards a 4.

And that is why you fail. But seriously, the first time I saw it I thought it was just an okay movie. It wasn't until a few years later that I watched it again and realized that it is a rare gem, pure comedy genius. And yes, it is side splitting.

Kovacs86
This is genius:

http://www.runleiarun.com/lebowski/

Bardock42
About Donnie Darko, that movie was somewhat confusing to me, probably somewhat more than Primer which I think is down to me not having any knowledge about it. As far as I can tell there's little implication about what we are seeing, while Primer more goes out saying "look dude, this is about time machines, think about time travel, k? on with the movie then" I'd say Primer is a more challenging movie though and I did enjoy it more than Donnie Darko (which was also good), but I think confusing people is not that hard if you don't tell them shit, while Primer was narrated nicely all the way through the concept was just more sophisticated.

Tired-Hiker

joemacky29
This movie is awesome! To funny! "I have a beverage here man!"

One Free Man
It had some moments like the first hour and then it just got shittier and shittier as I watched. It was epic for the first hour though lol.

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by One Free Man
It had some moments like the first hour and then it just got shittier and shittier as I watched. It was epic for the first hour though lol.

Batman and Robin was one of your favorites??? erm

Rogue Jedi
crylaugh

Bardock42
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
Batman and Robin was one of your favorites??? erm

Also The Phantom Menace.

So he obviously knows good movies and we should respect his opinion of the Big Lebowski.

Tired-Hiker
Oh, my bad. youpi

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Also The Phantom Menace.

So he obviously knows good movies and we should respect his opinion of the Big Lebowski.

Whilst the Phantom Menace is ACTUALLY a good film and loads better than The Big Lebowski, Batman and Robin was barely okay.

Rogue Jedi
TPM was barely passable.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
TPM was barely passable as the best movie of all time, but it was still kick ass.

Fixed it for ya.

Rogue Jedi
Fixed it for ya. Barely passable, like a bad thai meal.

dadudemon
My wiener is barely passable, like a bad thai meal.

Fixed it for ya.

Rogue Jedi
Fixed it for ya. bewbz.

jaden101
Sucked it for ya.

Sorted.

One Free Man
Batman and Robin was one of your favorites??? erm I didn't say tbl was the worst movie of all time. I thought the first hour with all the funny character interaction was great but it went on and on after that. B&R is the worst film imaginable. I couldn't finish it. it was sent from the pit of hell.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Sorted.

How DARE you! I don't suck shitty dicks! mad

One Free Man
Also The Phantom Menace.

So he obviously knows good movies and we should respect his opinion of the Big Lebowski. Hey... my opining=my opinion. I didn't ask you to respect it, shit head.

Blinky
How DARE you! I don't suck shitty dicks! mad

Hahaha did you just imply that you possibly suck non-shitty dicks?

Rogue Jedi
aaaaaaaaahahaha shit head!!!

dadudemon
Hahaha did you just imply that you possibly suck non-shitty dicks?

Yeah...that was kind of the joke. Also, the joke implied that RJ has gay homo buttsex.

Blinky
So... it's funny that you suck dicks? Hmmmmmmm.

One Free Man
aaaaaaaaahahaha shit head!!! http://www.firstgenmc.com/museum/navin.jpg this guy's dog.

Bardock42
Hey... my opining=my opinion. I didn't ask you to respect it, shit head.

Dude, I am on your side, I told people to respect it.

dadudemon
So... it's funny that you suck dicks? Hmmmmmmm.

It's called rolling with an light-hearted insult by furthering the joke. That's what adults do.

Robtard
Adults call it 'self-deprecating humor'. Oh, see what I did there, son.

One Free Man
Dude, I am on your side, I told people to respect it. Really? that looked like SARCASM agreement, I'm sorry I must have misunderstood you. Please please pleeeaaaase forgive my use of the derrogatory term shithead in describing you.

Rogue Jedi
I couldn't finish it. it was sent from the pit of hell. No, that would be Inglorious Basterds.

One Free Man
No, that would be Inglorious Basterds. I actually thought that was pretty funny in parts.

Rogue Jedi
I actually thought that was pretty funny in parts. No. It was the worst movie ever made, worse than Bloodrayne 2.

Scythe
This film has always been just OK. It's referenced to infinity and that alone is enough for me to dislike it. Obviously if a movie is referenced so heavily in a good way it's evidence that it is good, though once it drills your patience with the same gag being spouted from everyone's mouth, it become that movie you really don't like.

One Free Man
No. It was the worst movie ever made, worse than Bloodrayne 2. nothing was really LOL funny, I just thought the concept of jews going back to **** up some germans was pretty good.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Scythe
This film has always been just OK. It's referenced to infinity and that alone is enough for me to dislike it. Obviously if a movie is referenced so heavily in a good way it's evidence that it is good, though once it drills your patience with the same gag being spouted from everyone's mouth, it become that movie you really don't like.

The first normal post, in a while.

I think my problem was going in expecting it to be hilarious...cause ...like....EVERYONE said it was. no expression

Bardock42
The first normal post, in a while.

I think my problem was going in expecting it to be hilarious...cause ...like....EVERYONE said it was. no expression

Perhaps your problem was that you expected it to be hilarious in the same way you found Epic Movie hilarious. It's obviously a different kind of humour, it is however hilarious to many. And I do think there are some laugh out loud moments in it, although that isn't what the movie is about so much.

But really, it is fair enough that some people won't find a movie as funny or enjoyable as others.

UYVLIOEO
This has got to be the most overrated film of all time. I have no idea what so many people see in it

Blinky
Originally posted by UYVLIOEO
This has got to be the most overrated film of all time. I have no idea what so many people see in it

Nah that title goes to The Dark Knight.

Tired-Hiker
Seriously, if you don't like the Big Lebowski, which is an outright hilarious laugh out loud movie, then you certainly don't appreciate really really really good humor. Go **** yourselves. big grin

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by UYVLIOEO

Well, you're a ****en c*nt!

dadudemon
Perhaps your problem was that you expected it to be hilarious in the same way you found Epic Movie hilarious.

No. Epic Movie was not hilarious. There were funny parts, but it wasn't that funny. It was funnier than The Big Lebowski, but not by much.

It's obviously a different kind of humour, it is however hilarious to many. And I do think there are some laugh out loud moments in it, although that isn't what the movie is about so much.

It's hilarious to few, actually. It got poor reviews. It did poorly in the movie theater, but, for some reason, got a cult following with lots of internet troglodytes.

But really, it is fair enough that some people won't find a movie as funny or enjoyable as others.

Indeed. But, it is odd that so many people whose opinions I agree with on almost every film, ended up being wrong about one film. Maybe the enjoyment of the film comes more from it being an internet meme? Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I think the same thing happened with one of my top 5 films, Equilibrium: it's got a cult following on the internet, despite doing poorly.

Tired-Hiker
Indeed. But, it is odd that so many people whose opinions I agree with on almost every film, ended up being wrong about one film. Maybe the enjoyment of the film comes more from it being an internet meme? Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I think the same thing happened with one of my top 5 films, Equilibrium: it's got a cult following on the internet, despite doing poorly.

Ended up being wrong? Dadudemon, just because so many people's opinions are different than yours regarding The Big Lebowski doesn't mean they are wrong. It just means their opinion differs from yours.

Bardock42
No. Epic Movie was not hilarious. There were funny parts, but it wasn't that funny. It was funnier than The Big Lebowski, but not by much.

It's hilarious to few, actually. It got poor reviews. It did poorly in the movie theater, but, for some reason, got a cult following with lots of internet troglodytes.

Well, like I said, different people like different movies. I don't subscribe to the opinion that the people that do like it are really just kidding themselves or like it due to other factors (perhaps some do), I personally hadn't heard of it on the internet a friend of mine talked about it and a year or so later I found it in a DVD shop. I have watched it a few times now and I am pretty sure that I actually think it is a very, very funny movie, really it makes sense, you and me have some different humor that we partake in ourselves so it is just reasonable that we would enjoy some different comedies. It does however seem like you at times look for theories unrelated to taste why some people have a different taste in movies than you, in particularly I am thinking of the earlier accusations of "blanky syndrome" you threw at people liking the Original Trilogy over the Prequels. I am not saying that there can't be factors besides actual taste involved (on both sides), the way you word it though is bound to offend people who liked the movie.

st417
not funny at all, bad movie

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by st417
not funny at all, bad movie

Whatever, Sorgo.

Rogue Jedi
Dude what the **** are you talking about?

dadudemon
Well, like I said, different people like different movies. I don't subscribe to the opinion that the people that do like it are really just kidding themselves or like it due to other factors (perhaps some do), I personally hadn't heard of it on the internet a friend of mine talked about it and a year or so later I found it in a DVD shop. I have watched it a few times now and I am pretty sure that I actually think it is a very, very funny movie, really it makes sense, you and me have some different humor that we partake in ourselves so it is just reasonable that we would enjoy some different comedies. It does however seem like you at times look for theories unrelated to taste why some people have a different taste in movies than you, in particularly I am thinking of the earlier accusations of "blanky syndrome" you threw at people liking the Original Trilogy over the Prequels. I am not saying that there can't be factors besides actual taste involved (on both sides), the way you word it though is bound to offend people who liked the movie.

I don't disagree with most of that, but the movie is quite literally a cult classic. It didn't get it's fan-loving "success" until well after it's course had run. That's why it was called the first cult movie of the internet era.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/hey-dude-the-lebowski-festival-461663.html

It spread like a fire...like an internet meme, across the internets, earlier this decade. If you chose to be offended by what factually took place, that's fine...but don't blame it on me.

Did you think I pulled that out of my a$$ or something?

And, I really don't care about offending people with my opinions. The PT was better than the OT, for the most part, in almost every single way. I've listed those ways, and you even agreed with most of them. Sure, you can call the "blankie syndrome" a random assignment to an illogical phenomena, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm probably right about that, with quite a few people.

And yes, our senses of humor vary greatly. We are almost like opposites, when it comes to humor.

dadudemon
Whatever, Sorgo.

That's not Sorgo. Sorgo uses proper punctuation and capitalization.

Bardock42
I don't disagree with most of that, but the movie is quite literally a cult classic. It didn't get it's fan-loving "success" until well after it's course had run. That's why it was called the first cult movie of the internet era.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/hey-dude-the-lebowski-festival-461663.html

It spread like a fire...like an internet meme, across the internets, earlier this decade. If you chose to be offended by what factually took place, that's fine...but don't blame it on me.

Did you think I pulled that out of my a$$ or something?

And, I really don't care about offending people with my opinions. The PT was better than the OT, for the most part, in almost every single way. I've listed those ways, and you even agreed with most of them. Sure, you can call the "blankie syndrome" a random assignment to an illogical phenomena, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm probably right about that, with quite a few people.

And yes, our senses of humor vary greatly. We are almost like opposites, when it comes to humor.

I don't disagree with anything you said, it just is unrelated to my point. I didn't say that it is not a cult movie. I didn't say that it did not spread through the internet after it had first been released. What I said is that I believe most of the people who do like it....actually like it for itself, and not because of some allegiance to an internet meme.

When we discussed Star Wars I think I also brought up the point that different people value different things in movies, so that the points you brought up may very well be absolutely true, but don't change that some people truly don't care for them that much. Again, it seems to me that you have incredibly faith in your personal opinion viewing it as absolutely right if people would just know everything about the subject like you do, or weren't unnaturally predisposed to disagree (i.e. loved the meme so much, blanky syndrome...). I just don't think that is how it is, I do think that there just is such a thing as different taste even if the same information and an open mind is in place. Some people will value goofy characters, others nice visuals, others again a tense and exciting plot...

dadudemon
I don't disagree with anything you said, it just is unrelated to my point. I didn't say that it is not a cult movie. I didn't say that it did not spread through the internet after it had first been released. What I said is that I believe most of the people who do like it....actually like it for itself, and not because of some allegiance to an internet meme.

When we discussed Star Wars I think I also brought up the point that different people value different things in movies, so that the points you brought up may very well be absolutely true, but don't change that some people truly don't care for them that much. Again, it seems to me that you have incredibly faith in your personal opinion viewing it as absolutely right if people would just know everything about the subject like you do, or weren't unnaturally predisposed to disagree (i.e. loved the meme so much, blanky syndrome...). I just don't think that is how it is, I do think that there just is such a thing as different taste even if the same information and an open mind is in place. Some people will value goofy characters, others nice visuals, others again a tense and exciting plot...

Nice try, but you tried to pass of your opinion on the matter to counter the fact that this film is the first cult classic film from the internet. You countered with an anecdote. It was a meme, and it spread like a typical internet meme. Sure, people can like it for what it is, but it really was an internet meme. What does this meme mean? It means this meme may have spread to people that would not have liked it as much if at all, had it not been some sort of "underground" internet "cool" movie. There's something about the early 2000s internet folk being all groupie n'shit that I have no idea how to explain or even back-up empirically, but The Big Lebowski is far from the last example of this type of "stuff."

In fact, if it weren't for the internet, this movie would remain in obscurity, and most people would not have seen it that did see it.

And, if you didn't realize by now, I have always stated it was opinion. Even the blankie syndrome is an opinion with NO way to prove it as fact...unless we did a study on people that have not seen or know little to nothing of star wars. That would be interesting.

Bardock42
Nice try, but you tried to pass of your opinion on the matter to counter the fact that this film is the first cult classic film from the internet. You countered with an anecdote. It was a meme, and it spread like a typical internet meme. Sure, people can like it for what it is, but it really was an internet meme. What does this meme mean? It means this meme may have spread to people that would not have liked it as much if at all, had it not been some sort of "underground" internet "cool" movie. There's something about the early 2000s internet folk being all groupie n'shit that I have no idea how to explain or even back-up empirically, but The Big Lebowski is far from the last example of this type of "stuff."

In fact, if it weren't for the internet, this movie would remain in obscurity, and most people would not have seen it that did see it.

And, if you didn't realize by now, I have always stated it was opinion. Even the blankie syndrome is an opinion with NO way to prove it as fact...unless we did a study on people that have not seen or know little to nothing of star wars. That would be interesting.

Nah, like I said, I didn't say that it did not spread through the internet, that was not my point. Really, instead of arguing long about it, let me just point you to my last post, everything in that still applies.

Rogue Jedi
My dear Lord, are you two serious?

Bardock42
My dear Lord, are you two serious?

What confuses you?

Rogue Jedi
The pissing contest.

Bardock42
The pissing contest.
Life does not stop and start at your convenience, you miserable piece of shit.

Really though, I don't think it is a "pissing contest" we have an obvious disagreement, argued it through and I suppose unless dadudemon wants to add something laid it to rest.

Rogue Jedi
This is so a "Dude what the **** are you talking about?" moment.

Bardock42
This is so a "Dude what the **** are you talking about?" moment. You are an odd sorta fella, you know that?

Rogue Jedi
Who had black pajamas, Walter?

dadudemon
Nah, like I said, I didn't say that it did not spread through the internet, that was not my point. Really, instead of arguing long about it, let me just point you to my last post, everything in that still applies.

In that case, let me point you to my post that replied to your last post, which would then require to read the post of mine to you, before that.

Bardock42
In that case, let me point you to my post that replied to your last post, which would then require to read the post of mine to you, before that.

Well, like I said, I maintain that I didn't mean what you replied to, I really can't do much more than that, your post is just unrelated to my point.

I say "I don't believe that people like the movie for its cult status, but for it's actual plot and characters which are enjoyable to some"
You say "It was a cult classic of the internet age. It spread through the internet, almost like a meme and it wouldn't have the following it had would it not have been made known to many through that"
To which I then say "Yeah, so what?"

dadudemon
Well, like I said, I maintain that I didn't mean what you replied to, I really can't do much more than that, your post is just unrelated to my point.

And I clearly explained how that's not true, but you ignore it.

I say "I don't believe that people like the movie for its cult status, but for it's actual plot and characters which are enjoyable to some"
You say "It was a cult classic of the internet age. It spread through the internet, almost like a meme and it wouldn't have the following it had would it not have been made known to many through that"
To which I then say "Yeah, so what?"

And to that I say, "ah, so you don't get it. Cool."

Bardock42
And I clearly explained how that's not true, but you ignore it.

And to that I say, "ah, so you don't get it. Cool."

But you only explain how it is not true by putting words in my mouth. I did not argue anything but what I have stated repeatedly now, yet you keep claiming that I said something totally different related to what you said? Why?

dadudemon
But you only explain how it is not true by putting words in my mouth.

I didn't have to put words in your mouth, I literally pointed out what you said.

I did not argue anything but what I have stated repeatedly now, yet you keep claiming that I said something totally different related to what you said? Why?

It's actually because you don't see where you are wrong in thinking I didn't address your post.

Read over my posts again, and it will click. Seriously. Read over them with an open mind and throw away the thought that I did not address what you said. It may click if you approach it like that. To me, it's obvious since I explicityly outlined it for you.

Bardock42
I didn't have to put words in your mouth, I literally pointed out what you said.

It's actually because you don't see where you are wrong in thinking I didn't address your post.

Read over my posts again, and it will click. Seriously. Read over them with an open mind and throw away the thought that I did not address what you said. It may click if you approach it like that. To me, it's obvious since I explicityly outlined it for you.

I have read your posts multiple times. The only thing you point at in my post is the anecdote, which you choose to believe was brought in support that it is not a cult classic, contrary to my repeated explanations that it was not. You understand that there could be multiple reasons for the anecdote and since I already told you that it was not the reason you assumed why do you continue to claim that I made that point?

Robtard

There it is, you're obviously not a golfer and your sense of humor differs from say mine, Bardock's or Tired Hiker's.

Personally, Epic Movie wasn't funny at all, granted, it was so bad I couldn't finish it, but I didn't laugh once of the parts I watched.

dadudemon
There it is, you're obviously not a golfer

I see what you did there.

dadudemon
I have read your posts multiple times. The only thing you point at in my post is the anecdote, which you choose to believe was brought in support that it is not a cult classic, contrary to my repeated explanations that it was not. You understand that there could be multiple reasons for the anecdote and since I already told you that it was not the reason you assumed why do you continue to claim that I made that point?

Ugh. You're still missing it. That's only part of it. You need that piece mixed in with a few others to actually get it.

I would requote my posts, but that's stupid as it'd be a waste of time.

Bardock42
Ugh. You're still missing it. That's only part of it. You need that piece mixed in with a few others to actually get it.

I would requote my posts, but that's stupid as it'd be a waste of time.

Look, the thing is that I positively and absolutely didn't mean it, I positively and absolutely didn't outright say it, and I explained to you that whatever initially made you think that I implied it was not intentional as I would never ever argue against that, because I truly and fully believe it. That should really settle our argument on that matter, we could discuss the issue of whether they liked it because it was "meme-like" or on their own merits, since we seem to differ on that issue.

Out of pure curiousity though and because I really can't find it, could you explain to me what made you think that I meant to argue that it is not a cult classic and that it did not spread via the internet?

dadudemon
Out of pure curiousity though and because I really can't find it, could you explain to me what made you think that I meant to argue that it is not a cult classic and that it did not spread via the internet?

No.

Bardock42
No.

Fair enough. Do you want to discuss the other matter? Do you think that the majority or even just a large section only enjoy it for the cult character it has amongst people especially on the internet, rather than on its own merits?

Alpha Centauri
I can't find a post where Bardock said it wasn't a cult classic.

All I can see is that he's saying he doesn't care that it is, that it doesn't matter that it is, and that he thinks people like it more for the movie than FOR its cult status.

I'm not sure where there's confusion.

-AC

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I can't find a post where Bardock said it wasn't a cult classic.

Glad that's not what we were arguing about, then.

Quincy
I think the Big Lebowski is hilarious. There's my two cents.

Rogue Jedi
I think DDM is a nihlist.

dadudemon

Don't get al Nietzche on me or I'll steal your headset.

Robtard

Na, he just prefers cheesy slapstick and fart-humour over wit.

Rogue Jedi
Tyler was a night person. While the rest of us slept, Tyler worked.

Wait, wrong movie.

Robtard
Tyler was a night person. While the rest of us slept, Tyler worked.

Wait, wrong movie.

Sobchak would wreck Durden in a fight, dude.

Rogue Jedi
Yeah Prolly, look at what Bob did to him.

jaden101
The Dude, being a pacifist, would not abide by all this aggresivness in the thread.

Ok...DDM didn't like it. So what? Some people don't.

I don't like Anchorman yet i'm apparently rubbing my balls all over a dead baby Jesus' face when I say that.

Bardock42
I think one of my favourite parts was this little exchange:

LEBOWSKI
Bunny Lebowski. . . She is the light
of my life. Are you surprised at my
tears, sir?

DUDE
****in' A.

LEBOWSKI
Strong men also cry. . . Strong men
also cry.

I just loved that scene it is so dramatic and beautiful and funny.

Robtard

LEBOWSKI
tears, sir?

DUDE
****in' A.

LEBOWSKI
also cry.

Also the: "That and a pair of testicles" line in that scene. Great stuff.

Bardock42
The Dude, being a pacifist, would not abide by all this aggresivness in the thread.

I don't like Anchorman yet i'm apparently rubbing my balls all over a dead baby Jesus' face when I say that.

You know, I never could finish that movie, I tried thrice, it was painful. I enjoy most other movies those guys are involved in, but Anchorman makes me cringe. In fact for the longest time that movie made me think Will Ferrell was a giant, unfunny douchebag, now of course I know he is a giant, pretty funny douchebag, so we live and learn.

Robtard

Smokey's the pacifist.

Rogue Jedi

LEBOWSKI
tears, sir?

DUDE
****in' A.

LEBOWSKI
also cry.

Mine is:

Dude: "**** the tournament, **** you, Walter."

Walter: "**** the tournament?"

The fact that Walter cared more about the tournament than his friend telling him to go **** himself was hilarious.

Rogue Jedi
Smokey's the pacifist.

The Dude, to Walter: "They're like me, they're pacifists."

dadudemon
Na, he just prefers cheesy slapstick and fart-humour over wit.

Actually, I prefer the opposite. I prefer smartass, intelligent, witty humor over cheesy slapstick humor. For example, I found Hotrod to be quite hilarious. Had many great lulz...and it was all mostly smartass and "i'm playing an idiot a la Michael Scott" humor.

After rewatching When Nature Calls, again, I did not find it nearly as funny as Hotrod...but, it is still leagues funnier than The Big Lebowski.

I like Lewis Black, Robin Williams, Richard Prior, Eugene Mirman, etc.

I do NOT, however, find Aziz Ansari to be funny. He is very annoying...but lots of people find him hiliarious.

However, fart-humor or other bodily function human does have its place and it can be qutie funny, too.

Rogue Jedi
You know, I never could finish that movie, I tried thrice, it was painful. I enjoy most other movies those guys are involved in, but Anchorman makes me cringe. In fact for the longest time that movie made me think Will Ferrell was a giant, unfunny douchebag, now of course I know he is a giant, pretty funny douchebag, so we live and learn. Same, I redbox'd it, got halfway through it, fell asleep.

dadudemon
You know, I never could finish that movie, I tried thrice, it was painful. I enjoy most other movies those guys are involved in, but Anchorman makes me cringe. In fact for the longest time that movie made me think Will Ferrell was a giant, unfunny douchebag, now of course I know he is a giant, pretty funny douchebag, so we live and learn.

For me, he's hit and miss. Sometimes, he's really funny. Other times, he is really annoying.

Example of funny from Anchorman: "I can barely do my arms because I did so many."

The ways he says it, and the whole situation was really funny to me.

When they were all yelling in the office and Steve Carell said, "YELLING, REALLY REALLY LOUDLY!" just to try and fit in...I lol'd hard.

jaden101

Well then me and you are apparently spit roasting the dead baby Jesus.

HIGH FIVE MARIUS?....HIGH FIVE...

Rogue Jedi
Talladega Nights, on the other hand, VERY funny.

Bardock42
Well then me and you are apparently spit roasting the dead baby Jesus.

HIGH FIVE MARIUS?....HIGH FIVE...

Ah, what the heck. HIGH FIVE!

http://www.hirtemann.de/bilder/bilder-projekte/hitler/hitlergruss1.jpg

jaden101

http://georgiastateguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/hulk_hogan_-_terry_bolea_153-365x450.jpg

dadudemon

That's probably the funniest thing you've ever posted.

laughing

Rogue Jedi
Wouldn't that be Hiel five?

Kovacs86
Or even heil...

Alpha Centauri
However, fart-humor or other bodily function human does have its place

Indeed.

Shit movies and Dane Cook shows.

-AC

Robtard

That made me LoL.

Tired-Hiker
Actually, I prefer the opposite. I prefer smartass, intelligent, witty humor over cheesy slapstick humor. For example, I found Hotrod to be quite hilarious. Had many great lulz...and it was all mostly smartass and "i'm playing an idiot a la Michael Scott" humor.

After rewatching When Nature Calls, again, I did not find it nearly as funny as Hotrod...but, it is still leagues funnier than The Big Lebowski.
I am embarassed that it took me so long to finally see what we are dealing with here. Your taste in humor is small minded.

Rogue Jedi
He isn't a Lebowski achiever.

Impediment
Walter is f*cking crazy. But the good crazy, I mean.

Rogue Jedi
He's not Jewish, he's Polish Catholic.

MrFuller
You guys heard of Two Gentlemen of Lebowski? Freaking brilliant, and hilarious. (I'd post a link, but it says I'm too new - google it.)

The Nuul
"**** You In The Ass On Saturday"

"Nobody ****s with the Jesus"

Rogue Jedi
You got a date Wednesday, baby!!! Whooo!!!

Kovacs86
Originally posted by MrFuller
You guys heard of Two Gentlemen of Lebowski? Freaking brilliant, and hilarious. (I'd post a link, but it says I'm too new - google it.)

I posted the link on the last page.

The Nuul
Walter: "They pee on your ****ing rug?" The Dude: "They peed on my ****ing rug." Walter: "That's right dude, they peed on your ****ing rug." ...

Bardock42
http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/big-lebowski-alignment-chart-550x550.jpg

Rogue Jedi
I just popped in the DVD.

Robtard
http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/big-lebowski-alignment-chart-550x550.jpg

As a former D&D geek and lover of TBL, thank you for finding that.

Blinky
Ok I have a dumb question:

How the f*ck did the kid's homework end up in The Dude's stolen car?

Not really important I know, but it's always bothered me.

The Nuul
I just pooped on the DVD.

You're a sick sick dude.

Blinky
^Thanks for posting and NOT answering my very important life-altering question, you f*cking chode.

Rogue Jedi
Obviously Larry dropped it in Dude's car. Either out of his book bag or out of his pocket.

The Nuul
^Thanks for posting and NOT answering my very important life-altering question, you f*cking chode.

STFU Donnie.

Blinky
Obviously Larry dropped it in Dude's car. Either out of his book bag or out of his pocket.

So the kid actually stole his car? What a coincidence. That simple eh? For some reason I thought it was more complicated than that.

Rogue Jedi
Nah, Larry stole the car for a joy ride, that's all.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>