no god

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The big EH
i belive that there is no god, or gods, or anything, no saints, i do think that there was a mary and jesus, but i think mary just had an affair. i believe in the scientific explanations, like the big bang, and evolution, not that god created man out of dust, clear and simple... kinda simple smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by The big EH
i belive that there is no god, or gods, or anything, no saints, i do think that there was a mary and jesus, but i think mary just had an affair. i believe in the scientific explanations, like the big bang, and evolution, not that god created man out of dust, clear and simple... kinda simple smile

Hmm, I have similar beliefs although I would not rule out the possibility of some sort of higher power. That being said, I don't know if this thread is necessary, there are many threads about people's beliefs and especially atheism (which is what you seem to be)

SP90
Yeah, plus : Big Bang explains very few, it didn't have a mind or anything, it was there for no reason that could be explained by science.

Bardock42
Originally posted by SP90
Yeah, plus : Big Bang explains very few, it didn't have a mind or anything, it was there for no reason that could be explained by science.

Actually that's not quite true, the theory explains most things pretty well. Especially the thing that there was no mind is appealling, since..well why should there be a mind before there is a universe, seems unlikely.

The big EH
i know how can there be something from nothing? it's almost like alchemy's basic rule "in order to gain something must first be lost that has equvilent value, or mass" thats called equivalent exchange and it's true it's a law in human society, think bout it, you want a game, you must give up money to get it, unless you steal but thats illegal and leads to consequences, and to get the money to buy the game you must give up your time and energy

LizzyT123
yeah, sometimes when people get all scientifical, it just makes me think man was just here to f*ck and continue our race for no reason......

debbiejo
My problem is that evolution doesn't explain it ALL....It could be part of yet another science that we are only now starting to discover........There could be BOTH. Evolution and intelligence.....

The big EH
Originally posted by LizzyT123
yeah, sometimes when people get all scientifical, it just makes me think man was just here to f*ck and continue our race for no reason...... there is no meaning of life except to live, that is wat i believe, i believe that we make our reason to live, i believe we make our destinies thats wat i believe

Regret
Originally posted by SP90

If I remember correctly Big Bang theory is a circular theory.

kinda like this

start with a compact matter

*and it expands out
******once it reaches some point of expansion it collapses
* and then starts over

Given this, a beginning would be impossible to find.

debbiejo
Evolution teaches that???..........I don't know evolution, but there are other theories that also teach that thing are cyclical.........Just as our life and all of nature and even the universe it..........dieing and birth....

The big EH
yes but no rebirth, for one being... well maybe
but for some reason i believe that all these natural disaters and diseases are the Earth's way of keeping the human population down, just like hunting is our way of keeping the animal population under control and i believe the o-zone layer dying is a cycle, and the universe is actually not slowing down and decreasing, it's speeding up and increasing faster

Regret
yes but no rebirth, for one being... well maybe
but for some reason i believe that all these natural disaters and diseases are the Earth's way of keeping the human population down, just like hunting is our way of keeping the animal population under control and i believe the o-zone layer dying is a cycle, and the universe is actually not slowing down and decreasing, it's speeding up and increasing faster

It would stand to reason that each cycle would be different from the last. This would lead to a point when the cycle would reach its resting point. If the universe did not have the outward and inward movement, would it behave in the manner that we know? Or would the laws of physics be effected by this lack of flux?

debbiejo
OR we attract what we dwell on and that would even include disasters and war OR peace........If we are part creator ourselves........AND THAT would put all the responsibility on OUR LAPS.....hmm

The big EH
ummmm... i'm not old enough to understand this i may believe in science but i don't neccasarily understand it all

maham
Originally posted by Bardock42
Actually that's not quite true, the theory explains most things pretty well. Especially the thing that there was no mind is appealling, since..well why should there be a mind before there is a universe, seems unlikely.
Y shud there b a universe WITHOUT a mind? Does that sound sensible 2 u?

debbiejo
ummmm... i'm not old enough to understand this i may believe in science but i don't neccasarily understand it all Well this is just part of particle theory........kind of like a magnet to put it simply... smile

Alliance
Oh geez I should have been here during the creation of this thread.

1. If everyone made a thrad for thier own person opinon. That would be RATHER annoying.

2. Evolution and the Big Bang explain a heck of a lot and predict many more observances.

3. The Big bang theory is not necessarily cyclical. Some versions of it are.

4. Alchemy is a practice that hasnt been used in hundred of years. It has relativley little scientific basis. You've spent too much time wathcing Fullmetal Alchemist. (and quantum theory says you can get something from nothing) (sting theory further correct this problem by starting with something.)

5. Evolution is beautiful love

6. You should understand something before you judge it. cool

The big EH
i know wat the hell alchemy is i had to do a report on it

Alliance
ummmm... i'm not old enough to understand this i may believe in science but i don't neccasarily understand it all

Then you must know that alchemy is not pertenant to the big bang theory.

The Omega

Trickster
Originally posted by debbiejo
Evolution teaches that???..........I don't know evolution, but there are other theories that also teach that thing are cyclical.........Just as our life and all of nature and even the universe it..........dieing and birth....

Evolution and the Big Bang are different theories. If somebody says that they think evolution definitely occurred, that doesn't mean they also agree that the Big Bang was responsible for the universe.

And yeah, quantam theory says you can get something from nothing...

Justbyfaith

Wow, this is the best one yet! rolling on floor laughing

Alliance
how so?

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Alliance
how so?

The MOST (Award Winning)
>Brain off statement I have read in this forum so far.
>Absolute insanity at it's best.
>A complete lack of knowledge or any observation of the world around.

A crazy thread I must say. big grin

Alliance
coming from the man with a bag over his head?

What is the world coming too if someone has an idea DIFFERENT from you? One, might is add, is not more provable, but infinitely more logical than yours.

Justbyfaith
coming from the man with a bag over his head?

What is the world coming too if someone has an idea DIFFERENT from you? One, might is add, is not more provable, but infinitely more logical than yours.

Are you positive about my ideas? NOT! Common bud, let's get balanced here... rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

Alliance
I dont have faith in your idea of balance.

Justbyfaith

I'm tired...long day...talk with ya later Alliance... smile

Alliance
I'll still be here.

The big EH
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
The MOST (Award Winning)
>Brain off statement I have read in this forum so far.
>Absolute insanity at it's best.
>A complete lack of knowledge or any observation of the world around.

A crazy thread I must say. big grin are you saing that describes me and my thread?

Justbyfaith

That's right, everything that is not Christian based seems to work out for you some how? Anything that is Bible or Christ centered is out. Your right, everything goes for you as long as it's not Christian. Sounds like double hypocracy... embarrasment

Justbyfaith
are you saing that describes me and my thread?

I endure the verbal abuse...can you?

The big EH
are you saying there not being a god is insanity?

Justbyfaith
are you saying there not being a god is insanity?

Yes, to say that thier is no designer is insanity.

The car you drive had no designer, it just happened.

The paintings on your wall had no artist behind them, they just happened.

You are a mistake of billions of years and luck of the draw.

Yes, it's insanity...

eek!

Alliance
That's right, everything that is not Christian based seems to work out for you some how? Anything that is Bible or Christ centered is out. Your right, everything goes for you as long as it's not Christian. Sounds like double hypocracy... embarrasment

Can you have a double hypocrisy...?

Justbyfaith
Can you have a double hypocrisy...?

Tell me how you do it. laughing out loud laughing cool

Alliance
YOu read my other post.

JBF, i seem you percieve things I am not. My views are very wide and they include Christianity. I have a problem with certain religious philosophies... ones that you demonstrate quite well. YOu percive me as being against CHristianity...but really I'm just agaisnt your philosophy of CHirstianity.

And I do knock Christians harder, but that becuase I have more day to day personal conflicts wiht them. I've never been publically condemned to hell by (for example) a Hindu. As the worlds leading religion...you can handle it cool I think being a minority in this respect opens your eyes a bit.

Justbyfaith

Alliance
First off...it wasnt an explosion.

Again. You know nothing about this theory.

Justbyfaith
First off...it wasnt an explosion.

Again. You know nothing about this theory.

Ya but...What about Jesus? What are you doing about Him? I like to stay on/off topic if you know what I mean.

The Omega
Really? How many explosions have you seen that create something and cause order? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yes, really roll eyes (sarcastic) I suggest you begin with this:

1) Read up on Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation...
When you've done that, then come back, and I'll explain a little to you about gravity, Einsteins theories, how the Big Bang theory is connected to Einsteins theories (which are among most tested and validated we have), then we'll pass by a little quantum mechanics... And then I'll tell you the differnce between an explosion taking place on the Earth with it's gravity and air, and the quantum-gravitational EVENT known as Big Bang.

So first... a little reading on CMBR
Here is a good place http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bbtest3.html

Ya but...What about Jesus? What are you doing about Him? I like to stay on/off topic if you know what I mean.

Jesus? Show me some proof this person EVER existed. And by proof I mean something outside the Christian Bible...

And didn't you just leave the debate on Creationism 5 minutes ago, saying you had to "ta da" when cornered by fossils... ???

Alliance
I have rejected him, but at least I know about him. I just think you're running away from a pertinent question.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by The Omega

1) Read up on Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation...
When you've done that, then come back, and I'll explain a little to you about gravity, Einsteins theories, how the Big Bang theory is connected to Einsteins theories (which are among most tested and validated we have), then we'll pass by a little quantum mechanics... And then I'll tell you the differnce between an explosion taking place on the Earth with it's gravity and air, and the quantum-gravitational EVENT known as Big Bang.

So first... a little reading on CMBR
Here is a good place http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bbtest3.html

Thanks Omega. May I suggest a little research yourself? It's called the bible. It's very informative and actually has most of what you are still searching for already written in it and covered for our edification.

Alliance
laughing

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by The Omega

Jesus? Show me some proof this person EVER existed. And by proof I mean something outside the Christian Bible...

Better stick with physics because Jesus is a historical figure. Anyone knows that. Common Omega, you appear to be one of the charper crayons in the box? roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Omega
Thanks Omega. May I suggest a little research yourself? It's called the bible. It's very informative and actually has most of what you are still searching for already written in it and covered for our edification.

Eh, no, that one book I have discarded because of all this crap:
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/science/long.html

And didn't you just flee the debate on evolution when cornered by the fossils???
Now, go read on Cosmic Microwaves first...

The Omega
Better stick with physics because Jesus is a historical figure. Anyone knows that. Common Omega, you appear to be one of the charper crayons in the box? roll eyes (sarcastic)

A historical figure?? ANYONE knows that??? Common???
Well then... Shoe me some evidence to support that your Jesus existed. Maybe some contemporary Roman or Greek writers who wrote about all the stuff he supposedly did??

I am waiting...

Alliance

Did you know that Darth Vader is also considered to be a historical figure? As is Uncle Sam!

If your philosophy of "better stick with physics because Jesus is a historical figure" Then 1. You have to be a histoiran to discuss Jesus. and 2. I should never hear you utter a comment about evolution or science in general again.

And 1. sucks becuase I am a hisoty major, but I'm concetrating in classic and scientific history. So really, aside from an increased knowledge in general history, I really don't have more intellectual acess to information about Jesus than any other person who actually reads up on the subject.

debbiejo
You have some excellent points Omega......and yes there were many many historians at that time that NEVER mentioned Jesus.......funny eh??

Not even the famous Josephus can be proven, since it was only 1 paragraph that was inserted into a whole comentary about the wars.....Spoken like he was a christian, which HE WAS NOT....

Imperial_Samura

There is a difference from being a factualy supported historical figure - Caesar, Alexander, Captain Cook, and being a mainstream mythological one.

Which is Jesus? People debate, and aren't sure.

A similar case - everyone knows Homer right? greatest Greek poet, gave us the Odyssey and Iliad? Well, there is debate there about whether he actually existed. But he wrote the poems people shout. However it is possible that the poems as they got to us with Homers name, are merely an evolution from far older epics whose authorship was lost - adapted and at some point Homer was attached to them.

Now, there is little solid evidence there was actually a Jesus which is a problem, as the Romans liked to write and record, so it is odd that virtually nothing at the time mentions "the son of God." And even if he did exist it doesn't mean he was in any way divine.

Alliance
In short, Jesus is simply as historical as a figure as Jupiter/Zeus.

Zues impregnated women, gave birth to heroes, etc.

The Omega
(Twiddles thumbs and waits for JustbyFaith to offer some proof that the Christian Jesus ever existed)...

badabing
I'm not knocking you but it makes me sad that you feel this way. I just couldn't live that way, without Faith. I get a great sense of hope and strength from my beliefs. I will concede that science does explain a lot of things but not everything. You mentioned the Big Bang, which is the standard theory of the birth of the universe. What was there before the Big Bang? Where did all the matter come from? Since we can't look beyond the Big Bang we may never know. The String Theory is an interesting concept. If true, that means we live in a multiverse with infinite universes. But where did it all start? Science can't answer the question so I rely on Faith to fill in the gaps. I used to think that we were alone, but something just clicked in me and I decided that was impossible. Like I said, it's all a matter of Faith with me.

Trickster
Originally posted by badabing
I'm not knocking you but it makes me sad that you feel this way. I just couldn't live that way, without Faith. I get a great sense of hope and strength from my beliefs. I will concede that science does explain a lot of things but not everything. You mentioned the Big Bang, which is the standard theory of the birth of the universe. What was there before the Big Bang? Where did all the matter come from? Since we can't look beyond the Big Bang we may never know. The String Theory is an interesting concept. If true, that means we live in a multiverse with infinite universes. But where did it all start? Science can't answer the question so I rely on Faith to fill in the gaps. I used to think that we were alone, but something just clicked in me and I decided that was impossible. Like I said, it's all a matter of Faith with me.

But then, what made God? Looking for a chain of cause and effect, then cutting it off as soon as you reach a cause you like the idea of seems a bit illogical. Either leave it at what we can definitely say was a cause (the Big Bang) or accept that there must be a chain that continues on into infinity. And if that's true, why worship God? It would make more sense to worship what made him, and so on.

Well, at least you accept scientifc proof as proof!

Edit - I'm not knocking you, either, btw.

JesusIsAlive

badabing
Originally posted by Trickster
But then, what made God? Looking for a chain of cause and effect, then cutting it off as soon as you reach a cause you like the idea of seems a bit illogical. Either leave it at what we can definitely say was a cause (the Big Bang) or accept that there must be a chain that continues on into infinity. And if that's true, why worship God? It would make more sense to worship what made him, and so on.

Well, at least you accept scientifc proof as proof!

Edit - I'm not knocking you, either, btw.
It's nice to have a civil discussion with somebody on this forum with an opposing view. big grin Usually people attack first. Yes, I have room in my mind for science and God. Thank you for the well thought and polite response to my post. cool

The big EH

The big EH
Originally posted by badabing
I'm not knocking you but it makes me sad that you feel this way. I just couldn't live that way, without Faith. I get a great sense of hope and strength from my beliefs. I will concede that science does explain a lot of things but not everything. You mentioned the Big Bang, which is the standard theory of the birth of the universe. What was there before the Big Bang? Where did all the matter come from? Since we can't look beyond the Big Bang we may never know. The String Theory is an interesting concept. If true, that means we live in a multiverse with infinite universes. But where did it all start? Science can't answer the question so I rely on Faith to fill in the gaps. I used to think that we were alone, but something just clicked in me and I decided that was impossible. Like I said, it's all a matter of Faith with me. i get strength from knowing that we as humans have been able to build a society, and from music, love, will to live, energy, oxygen, muscles, skeleton, and this banana Happy Dance

The big EH
Yes, to say that thier is no designer is insanity.

The car you drive had no designer, it just happened.

The paintings on your wall had no artist behind them, they just happened.

You are a mistake of billions of years and luck of the draw.

Yes, it's insanity...

eek! humans design cars not an "all powerful, almighty being" and the universe got its shape from gravity, and other forces for instance planets are round because of gravity and which i believe is created from the sytrilical force (the force that is created when something spins around and almost act like a vacuum)

JesusIsAlive
But...your erudite and scholaryness, where did gravity come from? Better yet where did the universe come from? You are a product of cause and effect. The clothes you wear, the money you spend, the car you drive are all products of cause and effect. Each item had a creator. Well so does this extremely complex universe and planet that we live on.

The big EH
i'm in highschool and explained it in my last post

JesusIsAlive
Well, when you show me the schematic diagram of the universe that you have created then I will believe what you have said regarding your explanations.

The big EH
wtf? have you read anything i've typed? i quess my sensai was right people are so stubborn than even when shown proof that what they think right is wrong, wont change they're beliefs, example, death penalty, does nothing but shortens the punishment, and doesent stop crime at all and many people that are innocent get killed because of it, but yet people believe it's right

JesusIsAlive
humans design cars not an "all powerful, almighty being" and the universe got its shape from gravity, and other forces for instance planets are round because of gravity and which i believe is created from the sytrilical force (the force that is created when something spins around and almost act like a vacuum)

Hey, The big EH, where did the sytrilical force come from?

The big EH
argggg you friggin idiot read before you reply it's in the brackets!!!

you read the bible because it's your favourite book because it helps you think god is real
i read the bible for a good laugh

JesusIsAlive
Well, where did the force come from, genuis, Einstein, buddy old pal?

The big EH
this is gonna sound wierd but i think it comes from space not having gravity it moved it around in a circle but because of the suns mass it stay stationary creating gravity, or the sun naturally spins from its heat and expolsions on it's surface and creates it i don't know i'm still learning bout these things, and i'm not your buddy

Shakyamunison
this is gonna sound wierd but i think it comes from space not having gravity it moved it around in a circle but because of the suns mass it stay stationary creating gravity, or the sun naturally spins from its heat and expolsions on it's surface and creates it i don't know i'm still learning bout these things, and i'm not your buddy

You didn't tell JesusIsAlive that you believe in the force? roll eyes (sarcastic)

The force is something that was made up for a movie, from other religions, mainly Buddhism. So if you want to know more about the force, study Buddhism.

The big EH
wat, i was referring to the last force i refferred to in my post the syntrilical force

Shakyamunison
wat, i was referring to the last force i refferred to in my post the syntrilical force

Good. I couldn't fallow all the jumping around. laughing

The big EH
lol

JesusIsAlive
Everything that you describe is post-existent. I am trying to get you to tell me where did all of these celestial bodies come from. And where did the force come from not how it impacts on other heavenly bodies.

The big EH
i'm in friggin grade 9! i'm not a scientist yet or anything! i'm still friggin learning about science

JesusIsAlive
Oh, now you are in grade 9 but a moment ago you knew everything there was to know about God and the Bible, so much so that you insult Him and His Word.

The big EH
you don't have to be old to have knowledge, knowledge of wats in the bible let alone (which is just crap) and i never said i knew everything

JesusIsAlive
God loves you The Big EH even if no one else does.

The big EH
SHUT THE ****ING HELL UP! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU POST THAT AGAIN!

JesusIsAlive
God loves you The Big EH even if no one else does.

debbiejo
God/Energy/Force is apart of ALL things including ourselves.....We are equals not the "One Ring to Rule us All"

Alliance
LOTR has wonderful religious analogies.

I am part of the one ring, and Tolkien's vision on how the ring works is incorrect imo.

Grimm22
If you ask me the true proof that god exists is that there couldnt be existince without god no expression

Alliance
Are you making a hypocritical statement or mocking one?

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Regret
If I remember correctly Big Bang theory is a circular theory.

kinda like this

start with a compact matter

*and it expands out
******once it reaches some point of expansion it collapses
* and then starts over

Given this, a beginning would be impossible to find.

How is it possible that it's a circular theory if there was only one big bang and our universe is expanding rapidly instead of shrinking.

Alliance
Like this

BOOM!
*and it expands out
**** <- you are here
******once it reaches some final point of expansion it collapses
* and then starts over
BOOM!
*****....etc.

Admiral Akbar
lol. Great effects. But after all, it's just a theory..

Alliance
Theory thank you.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
lol. Great effects. But after all, it's just a theory..

And what is wrong with a theory?

Alliance
Theory thank you.

Shakyamunison

Quoting yourself? roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

Alliance
Restating a point big grin

Shakyamunison
Restating a point big grin

A theory is all we can ever have in a world where you can never completely know anything, unless you have a book that says differently. laughing

Alliance
the scientifically ignorant need its official capitalization. I'm personally lax about it, but some people confuse "scientific theory" with "cockamanie theory".

Thus I must be archaic and bring back the caps.

Shakyamunison
the scientifically ignorant need its official capitalization. I'm personally lax about it, but some people confuse "scientific theory" with "cockamanie theory".

Thus I must be archaic and bring back the caps.

What's the difference? Over time there have been theories that started off to make sense, but later just became cockamamie. Also, plenty of theories that sounded cockamamie at first, but are now almost law.

Alliance
Its called evidence....thats the difference.

Shakyamunison
Its called evidence....thats the difference.

I would say that it's the process the allows new evidence to come to light. Some religions (Christianity for example) are incompatible with that kind of thinking

Alliance
Correction: Some religious people are incompatable with that kind of thinking.

Shakyamunison
Correction: Some religious people are incompatable with that kind of thinking.

roll eyes (sarcastic) Religions are people.

The thinker
The bag bang starts.
We cant even ask how long it has been there-whether it has just lately popped into being.
In less than one minute, the universe is a million billion miles across. There is a extreme amount of heat, 10 billion degrees of it.
As the universe cools and expands, more elements get created from stars.
Many scientists say that the universe does not contain enough mass, enough gravitational force to stop expansion, the universe becomes cold and forever expanding.
On top of that, there is the posibility that there are infinite "big bangs", each universe in a different dimention, each universe with different physics. New universes, being created every second.

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
roll eyes (sarcastic) Religions are people.

No. Religions are comprized of people, followed by people. Religions are institutions.

Alliance
Originally posted by The thinker
We cant even ask how long it has been there-whether it has just lately popped into being.
Actually, I've understood this to be one of the most popular questions in cosmology. There is a lot of work going on about it, but I'd like to see youhave a try at working outside of the known universe 13.7 billion years ago.

Originally posted by The thinker
Many scientists say that the universe does not contain enough mass, enough gravitational force to stop expansion, the universe becomes cold and forever expanding.
Not really, many think it could recollapse again. The current theoryy depends on the shape. However, it has been recently observed that it was expanding.

The thinker
Scientists say that there is proof that the universe is exanding, they get their conclusion from some scientific method called the red shift, apparently when a object is moving away from us, the light that it emmits shifts towards the red part of the spectrum.

Alliance
Not really, many think it could recollapse again. The current theory depends on the shape. However, it has been recently observed that it was expanding.

If you read what I said, there is no conflict. The univers has been observed to be expanding, however, that doesnt mean it will expand forever. In fact, many scientist believe it will not.

The thinker
And to add to that, there is a theory that the universe will become static, but the probabilty is tiny.
Alliance, i am not tring to start conflict, just stating the method for interests sake, we both know that there is no conflict

Alliance
I don't know what you're doing.

leonheartmm
clearing confusions. the universe is indeed expanding, it could keep on expanding forever or stop expanding at a point and collapse in on itself. it all depends on the amount of MASS in the universe the mass exerts gravitational attraction which resists expansion and tries to stop and contract the universe if the total mass contained in the universe is above a critical point it will collapse into the big crush due to gravity otherwise if the mass is lesser it will keep on expanding. current studies have all shown that the observable mass in the universe is only 8-20% of the critical mass which would lead to an infinitely expanding universe but over 80% of the mass in the universe is most probably the mysterious DARK MATTER which has not been taken into account yet because of the inability of technology to measure and spot it, this dark matter could put the mass of the universe above critical mass if taken into account and stop the universe from expanding and collapse it back onto itself from gravity. no1 can really be sure at this point.

Alliance
yes. I believe this has been established. I have been saying such all along.

The thinker
Woah, why are you even attempting to argue with me?
I am not arguing with you.
You are misunderstanding me.

Alliance
No. The only misunderstanding here is that you THINK I'm trying to argue with you and you keep pratteling on like I've disagreed with you. I haven't and I'm not arguing.

The thinker
neither am i

Alliance
I know/have known.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.