Divine Justice OR Forgiveness?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Which do you feel is more proper for those who have done wrong to their fellow man? Justice is always important. To pardon or forgive a wrong doer is display of mercy. If the choice is up to you which one would you apply?

If you're found guilty then is logical that a punishment must be apply. Do you think Divine Justice really applies punishment or it automatically gives forgivenes to the indiviual?

Bardock42
I am not quite sure what you are aiming at. But if it is up to me I'd do it that way:

As a selfish being I would first see if I want to have revenge (and at what cost this revenge would come). If that does not apply and I'd look at it objectively it would depend on what I expect to happen if the person is left alone. Would he/she do it again? If so some sort of punishment would be necessary. And I guess to some extend you need to punish for other reasons as well, but then again...selfish.

Regret
As a Christian I believe in divine justice. Christ just took the penalty for those that have committed sin. We are given release if we accept it. Differing views exist for what that means.

I also dislike the idea that actions have no consequence. For every action there are consequences, this is justice.

debbiejo
I always thought that the punishment would be for the person to relive or live the experience that YOU gave them........I don't know if that sounds selfish........but always thought it appropriate.

Alliance
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Which do you feel is more proper for those who have done wrong to their fellow man? Justice is always important. To pardon or forgive a wrong doer is display of mercy. If the choice is up to you which one would you apply?

If you're found guilty then is logical that a punishment must be apply. Do you think Divine Justice really applies punishment or it automatically gives forgivenes to the indiviual?

There are many problems with this.

First: evil is relative or a point of view...as is "the right path"

Second: who is finding you guilty?

Third: If this is a state we are talking about...no state should use any sort of religous dogma EVER in their legal system.

So....I don't really get your question.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Alliance
There are many problems with this.

First: evil is relative or a point of view...as is "the right path"

Second: who is finding you guilty?

Third: If this is a state we are talking about...no state should use any sort of religous dogma EVER in their legal system.

So....I don't really get your question.

This is not about what we consider the justice of man. I'm referring to a spiritual power. Meaning a higher justice which is above our legal systems. That's why I call it divine.

Regret
Make the assumption that there is some entity that defines good and evil. Should Justice occur? Or should everyone be forgiven nilly willy, or something else? Perhaps explain your stance.

I think that's the question

Alliance
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
This is not about what we consider the justice of man. I'm referring to a spiritual power. Meaning a higher justice which is above our legal systems. That's why I call it divine.

We'll....I'm not a god. So I can't comment.

I dont believe gods exist. Therefore there is no divine justice.

LizzyT123
I voted for forgiveness. One does not know what is right or wrong until they make an action.

Alliance
I'm pretty sure murder would be wrong. I havent killed anyone. Maybe tis just me confused

LizzyT123
Originally posted by Alliance
I'm pretty sure murder would be wrong. I havent killed anyone. Maybe tis just me confused

well you know what I mean though right? why believe in divine justice? When I was little I got caught stealing some m&ms. I was told that was wrong, and I was forgiven, so I don't do that anymore. I know m&ms is a little thing, but seriously, justice should only be taken out on certain situations.

Regret
Originally posted by LizzyT123
well you know what I mean though right? why believe in divine justice? When I was little I got caught stealing some m&ms. I was told that was wrong, and I was forgiven, so I don't do that anymore. I know m&ms is a little thing, but seriously, justice should only be taken out on certain situations.

So, you agree with justice when the subject has a knowledge of the appropriate or inappropriate action in the given case?

BobbyD
I understand what you're getting at Wrathful. It's an interesting question.

Personally speaking, I'm for a little of both. Otherwise, I truly think a sinner does not experience spiritual growth and development w/o being taught a lesson in the process-which brings regret/pain. Not to sound to Pavlovian, but I think that's the best way.

Alliance
You made a broad statement. I made a specific counter example. The point is: There is a difference between "crimes." Petty theft and murder are nto the same thing. Its dificult to put an umbrella statement over both saying "One does not know what is right or wrong until they make an action." Hence why I brought Up murder.

Regret
Originally posted by BobbyD
I understand what you're getting at Wrathful. It's an interesting question.

Personally speaking, I'm for a little of both. Otherwise, I truly think a sinner does not experience spiritual growth and development w/o being taught a lesson in the process-which brings regret/pain. Not to sound to Pavlovian, but I think that's the best way.

Yes, regret comes into play often wink And I'll support anyone speaking in Behavioral terms... well, most times anyway

Alliance
The prophet of regret?

Regret
Nah, profit of regret

Alliance
Prophet of Regret

Regret
Maybe I should change my Title thingy

Alliance
laughing

LizzyT123
sure I believe in justice, just not DIVINE justice. I like forgiveness more.

maham
divine Justice wud b gud as he'll get wat he deserves but foregiveness is a quality of God which He likes,so I'll try 2 4giv.

Justbyfaith
One does not know what is right or wrong until they make an action.

Really? So basically we are just walking around with the "Brain Off" button depressed until the consequence makes us "Wake Up"? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
Really? So basically we are just walking around with the "Brain Off" button depressed until the consequence makes us "Wake Up"? roll eyes (sarcastic)

That is similar to Buddhist beliefs.

Mindship
As a human being, a flawed mortal, my sense of justice / fairness / balance lies with punishment. But at the same time--whether there is a god or not--I can recognize and appreciate the "higher path" of forgiveness, guidance and prevention. That I find said "higher path" difficult, for myself, to put into action I take as a reflection of my own shortcomings rather than something inherently wrong with that choice.

debbiejo
OK, I voted. I believe you should try to forgive the person because you really don't know where they are coming from....you don't know what circumstances made this person act of react to what you might not. It's called empathy.....

Alliance
Common polity in the context of plurality!

Templares
Im placing all of my eggs on forgiveness . . . . assuming of course that he existis.

Alliance
If someone can't forgive....they are not intelligent to be in a position of power.

We should overthrow him then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.