No Other Way?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Justbyfaith
I think one reason people don't like Christianity is because it doesn't offer enough choices and wiggle room for them. What do you say?

JESUS SAID, "I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE; NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT BY ME."

JOHN 14:6

NOR IS THERE SALVATION IN ANY OTHER, FOR THERE IS NO OTHER NAME UNDER HEAVEN GIVEN AMONG MEN BY WHICH WE MUST BE SAVED.

ACTS 4:12

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
I think one reason people don't like Christianity is because it doesn't offer enough choices and wiggle room for them. What do you say?

JESUS SAID, "I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE; NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT BY ME."

NOR IS THERE SALVATION IN ANY OTHER, FOR THERE IS NO OTHER NAME UNDER HEAVEN GIVEN AMONG MEN BY WHICH WE MUST BE SAVED.

I say that you are so delusional you cannot understand people who are not Christian. Your statement above is not true for me. My religion is very strict when it comes to me. We simple are not judgmental about other people.

This sets on my altar and I read it every day:

The following three traits summarize the character and mentality of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth:

*To be rigorously strict toward oneself, like a sharp autumn frost.
*To be warm and embracing toward others, like a soft spring breeze.
*To be uncompromising when confronting evil, like a lion monarch.

This is not meant to hurt you, but to shake you, for I am the lion monarch.

Gay Guy
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I say that you are so delusional you cannot understand people who are not Christian. Your statement above is not true for me. My religion is very strict when it comes to me. We simple are not judgmental about other people.

The following three traits summarize the character and mentality of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth:

laughing

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Gay Guy
laughing
sad

docb77
Hey, no poking fun, if I weren't Mormon, I probably would go with Buddhism or Taoism.

Regret
Originally posted by docb77
Hey, no poking fun, if I weren't Mormon, I probably would go with Buddhism or Taoism.

Taoism, that one to me is the most Christian religion out there. I think a Taoist that really follows the Tao te Ching is more Christian than most Christians.

Alliance

And I am the eagle serpent bizzatch!

Justbyfaith

Ok, it doesn't apply to you in particular. Thanks for your comments. smile

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Regret
Taoism, that one to me is the most Christian religion out there. I think a Taoist that really follows the Tao te Ching is more Christian than most Christians.

What is Christian really?

Alliance
You're an authority.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Alliance
You're an authority.

I don't like the word. It is mis-used.

Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses...ect. Everyone is a Christian! What's a Christian anymore eek!

Alliance
Christianity = Christ was divine and is the messiah. And he will return.

Everyone is noy Chirstian. 2/3 of the world isnt.

Regret
What is Christian really?

Christian

Definition
1 Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2 Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3 Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4 Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5 Showing a loving concern for others; humane.

It does not take belief in Christ to be Christlike. Most good people are Christian. The belief is only one of the definitions.

Alliance
And your Jesus believed in doing good works

Regret
oops, wrong thread

Alliance
OOPS! laughing

Regret
embarrasment shifty

Alliance
ninja

debbiejo
First of all you have to consider was this His own words or the churches manipulation of it..........Second......this could be takin as meaning something else..........example:....It could mean enlightenment......and that is all

Justbyfaith
Christianity = Christ was divine and is the messiah. And he will return.

I accept! cool This is what I believe! A great definition! Happy Dance

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by debbiejo
First of all you have to consider was this His own words or the churches manipulation of it..........Second......this could be takin as meaning something else..........example:....It could mean enlightenment......and that is all

Just take it as it is for now and please try to do your best to not rationalize. Now that that's out of the way...What say you? laughing out loud

The Omega

Yeah, must really sucks for... Natives of the Americas who hadn't a chance to hear about "the lord" Jesus before the 15th Century.
Or the Chinese, or mongol-tribes or what have you. And so everyone who lived PRIOR to jesus must also be rotting in hell, since there is no salvation except through Jesus.
Yeah...

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by The Omega
Yeah, must really sucks for... Natives of the Americas who hadn't a chance to hear about "the lord" Jesus before the 15th Century.
Or the Chinese, or mongol-tribes or what have you. And so everyone who lived PRIOR to jesus must also be rotting in hell, since there is no salvation except through Jesus.
Yeah...

Well I don't know what God is going to do about those people but I'm sure you had a chance to hear and except or reject the gospel message....didn't you?

The Omega
Well I don't know what God is going to do about those people

You mean your precious Bible doesn't tell you and you don't care????

Regret
You mean your precious Bible doesn't tell you and you don't care????

The Mormons, I'm one, believe that Christ visited the Americas after he was resurrected, and we believe that this verse refers to them, and possibly to other groups that we are unaware of, as well:

John 10:16

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

But then, our interpretations don't always mesh well with other Christian interpretations.

peejayd

"For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body ."
Ephesians 5:23

"And he is the head of the body, the church : who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."
Colossians 1:18

* Christ is the Savior of the Church... the true Church stated in the Bible...

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men , specially of those that believe."
I Timothy 4:10

* the Father is the Saviour of all people... wink

autumn dreams

I don't like Christianity because it's a homophobic, bigotted religion.

sonnet
Reading the Bible and understanding what the scripture says is seemingly not in your grasp. The word of God does not give room for wishful interpretation.

Imperial_Samura

I don't like or dislike Christianity. I have logical, rational, and philosophical problems with it, and thus don't believe, though I enjoy debating it. If, however, there was cause to believe, or I thought it was something worth supporting, then I would, wiggle room or no. However I don't see that happening without proof or a significant change of attitudes.

Thus it is not about choices for me, but rather a lack of proof and the way Christianity has dealt with the world. I know I don't need Christianity to live a good, full life. And since there is no proof, I see no reason to follow the path, which raises the afore mentioned problems for me (certain attitudes and so on.) I have said before, God desires my belief, then give me something to believe in. I am not going to believe just for the sake of it.

sonnet
Yeah...
What country are you living in that you have not heard about missionaries and the work and (remote) countries they work in. The Bible said that the Gospel will have reached every nation before Christ returns and that is exactly what been happening.

Eis
What the hell? How is Daoism Christian?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by sonnet
What country are you living in that you have not heard about missionaries and the work and (remote) countries they work in. The Bible said that the Gospel will have reached every nation before Christ returns and that is exactly what been happening.

NO!

What he is referring to are the people that lived *prior* to Jesus being born 2000 or so years ago. Human society before that day had been going on for 50,000 + to 5000 depending on how advanced people have to be considered to be called "civilised" - all these people, in short, had no access to Jesus, and thus no access to salvation. By Biblical standards they are pagan or heathen - and doomed to Hell. And they never had a chance *not* to be.

And I hate to break it to you, but missionaries aren't everywhere at once. There are deep Amazonian tribes that haven't had contact with Christian nations ever. There are isolated mountain villages. There are nations where Governments do not allow any missionaries. Millions and millions and millions of people throughout time never knew about Jesus - and never will. What is their fate?

sonnet
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
NO!

What he is referring to are the people that lived *prior* to Jesus being born 2000 or so years ago. Human society before that day had been going on for 50,000 + to 5000 depending on how advanced people have to be considered to be called "civilised" - all these people, in short, had no access to Jesus, and thus no access to salvation. By Biblical standards they are pagan or heathen - and doomed to Hell. And they never had a chance *not* to be.

And I hate to break it to you, but missionaries aren't everywhere at once. There are deep Amazonian tribes that haven't had contact with Christian nations ever. There are isolated mountain villages. There are nations where Governments do not allow any missionaries. Millions and millions and millions of people throughout time never knew about Jesus - and never will. What is their fate?
I believe what is written in the Bible and that is that everynation will hear about Jesus. The people befor Jesus, if you read the Bible, lived under the old covenant given to Abraham by God. Even then people knew that God existed and then they had a choice too, believe and obey God's laws or don't. The believers of God went to the temple where by God's law they had to slaughter a lamb for their sins and for atonement. There is the parallel of Jesus being the lamb who has been slaghtered for our sins. After Jesus died he went down into purgatory to preach to those souls and even they got a choice. If you make the effort to read the Bible you will know this. The Bible also says that when Jesus returns that every knee shall bow and proclaim Him Lord which pretty much tells me that everybody (spirit) will know about Jesus.

cking
good point.

Mindship

Excellent points. As I once heard a priest say (probably The Most Impressive thing I've ever heard a priest say), we don't know for a fact that this is what Jesus said; we only know for a fact that this is what is written that Jesus said.

It would be naive, IMO, to think that distortion of any actual words spoken had not happened over the decades between Jesus' death and when the Book of John was written. The early Church had a very definite political agenda: to prove that the "New Covenant," as personified by the figure of Jesus, superceded the Old Covenant, that Christians were superior to Jews, that the Jews, "in fact," were being punished and rejected by God. What better way to get people to join your club than by debasing the other guy's club.

Also, those who do take those words literally are likely those who also believe in creationism/intelligent design, when so much of the Bible is better interpreted as metaphor (which means, no doubt, that everything I'm saying will bring about responses featuring major rationalization). As such, a metaphorical interpretation is that Jesus did not mean, literally, himself and only himself. He could well have meant the way of life he himself followed, the path to God as codified by his own people--the Jews--which ultimately meant (as Rabbi Hillel said), "What you don't like, don't do to others."

In any event, I am curious as to how those who interpret the Bible literally see John 4:22, where Jesus says...
"You worship what you know not, we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."

Alliance
I believe what is written in the Bible and that is that everynation will hear about Jesus. The people befor Jesus, if you read the Bible, lived under the old covenant given to Abraham by God. Even then people knew that God existed and then they had a choice too, believe and obey God's laws or don't. The believers of God went to the temple where by God's law they had to slaughter a lamb for their sins and for atonement. There is the parallel of Jesus being the lamb who has been slaghtered for our sins. After Jesus died he went down into purgatory to preach to those souls and even they got a choice. If you make the effort to read the Bible you will know this. The Bible also says that when Jesus returns that every knee shall bow and proclaim Him Lord which pretty much tells me that everybody (spirit) will know about Jesus.
The incerdible symbolism makes the Bible imo all the more transparent. Showing the incredible human hand in writing it. There are many more people in the world other than Jews at the time. Judaism was an extreme religious minority. 20 say 90% of the worlds population did not live under this coveneant.

Second of all, if I read a book, its not necessarily true. If I read a star wars novel I didn't go...geez, I'm so glad luke skywalker saved us from darth vader. If you make an efford to read the Vedas, or the Sutras, or Greek Myths, or Persian Myths, or any other varity of sources...you will know that what you say is not true.

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
What the hell? How is Daoism Christian?

The following is the definition of Christian. To qualify for the term only one definition must be met. Taoists, if they follow the Tao te Ching will meet definitions 3, 4, and 5. Thus Taoists can be Christian. Belief in Christ or his teachings are only required on the first two definitions. They may not fit your definition, but they do fit a definition that is widely accepted.

Christian

Definition
1 Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2 Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3 Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4 Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5 Showing a loving concern for others; humane.

It does not take belief in Christ to be Christlike. Most good people are Christian. The belief is only one of the definitions.

Lord Urizen

Christianity is not what people dislike per se.

It is ULTRA CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS, primarily White Anglo Saxon Protestants Due the to fact that you guys make CONSTANT attempts to LIMIT the civil freedoms of other peoples, and the fact that you guys think you have the RIGHT to moderate other people's lives. yes

debbiejo
Purgatory is not in the Bible... wink

It says into the depths of Hell, which again is more metaphorical and only means death, sleep, pit, grave.......Nothing more...And if HELL was so important why didn't Moses ever mention it when given the LAW???...

And yes, what of the Aborigines that have never heard the word of Jesus?....Many believe in a god, but not your god. Does it matter if they have the fruits of the spirit or not?....Isn't that what Jesus was talking about anyway "Treating others as you would like to be treated, and you will know then by their fruits"......

Imperial_Samura

Yes. Just because it says it is true doesn't make it so -

The Aboriginals of Australia, having lived here for 20,000 + in isolation from the rest of the world - before anything in the old testament; studies of their mythology, society and culture prior to contact with the English (so that is about 19,800 years before contact with a Christian nation) show 0% knowledge of any kind of Christian doctrine, 0% of anything Christian at all.

The deep Amazonian tribes I mentioned - the same as the aboriginals. Same with many African tribes.

A lot of historical texts from the Romans and Greeks reveal their surprises and amusement at the idea of a monotheistic religion when they encountered Judaism. They clearly had no idea about the Judea-Christian god prior to meeting a nation already holding such beliefs.

The Sumerians, the Hurrians. The same above.

There is no evidence that the people of the world somehow miraculously knew of the Christian God, his rules or Jesus prior to encountering them in people like the Jews or Christians. So many people lived a long way from the places that figrue in the bible. So it doesn't ring true they lived under some old covenant. They didn't know, not because they chose not to, but because there was no way for them to know.

And purgatory isn't mentioned in the bible, it is a man made construct (much like the bible) that was formulated some time later - possibly as a tool of assimilation in order to convince cultures who had never encountered Christianity that their previous generations were not doomed to hell because they hadn't followed the Church when they didn't know about it.

Eis
The following is the definition of Christian. To qualify for the term only one definition must be met. Taoists, if they follow the Tao te Ching will meet definitions 3, 4, and 5. Thus Taoists can be Christian. Belief in Christ or his teachings are only required on the first two definitions. They may not fit your definition, but they do fit a definition that is widely accepted.
Haha what a biased definition of Christian. Basically, for you it means 'good'.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble but according to Merriam-Webster's definition of the word "Christian" it means someone who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.

The Omega

How will that help ALL the millions of human beings who lived PRIOR to the time the Christian Bible claims Jesus lived??
Justbyfaith claims their is ONLY salvation through the Christian Jesus... So what about all those who lived before he supposedly did... And all those who lived before the missionaries got there???

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
Well, sorry to burst your bubble but according to Merriam-Webster's definition of the word "Christian" it means someone who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.

It seems that your definition is the biased one. Christ is a title that was given to Jesus of Nazareth, and is not necessarily a reference to Jesus. Christian is a term that has been taken by those believing in Jesus of Nazareth as the Christ. Christ means anointed. It is a term that is taken from the Hebrew religion. An anointed one was a "good" person.

Trickster
Originally posted by Eis

Haha, you didn't even bother to look at the second definition, did you?

A Christian may be that, but we seem to be discussing what it is to be Christian (adj.). In fact, the definitions here are even more ambigious than Regret's.

JesusIsAlive
Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

A christian is simply a disciple, learner, follower, saved, born again believer in Jesus the Christ. A person who has placed their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation and remission of their sins.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by autumn dreams
I don't like Christianity because it's a homophobic, bigotted religion.

Like I said...this is why mankind prefers to "create a religion". Something that fits all our selfish needs as people. Something that "feels good" and yet still allows us to do whatever we desire. wink

Justbyfaith
Purgatory is not in the Bible... wink

2 out of 1000! We are doing better debbiejo! big grin

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

A christian is simply a disciple, learner, follower, saved, born again believer in Jesus the Christ. A person who has placed their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation and remission of their sins.

This is a correct statement! Thank you JesusIsAlive. smile

lil bitchiness

And I'll say it again - what Jesus said, never came from Jesus' mouth. It came from Paul's mouth, Matthews' mouth, John's mouth, Peter's mouth, Billy Joe's mouth...etc.

There isn't anywhere a scroll which is written BY Jesus. Thus all must be taken with a pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong, Jesus was great. I think Jesus had a right idea about things and was a great man.

I'd probably be Jessusit if Church hasn't taken Jesus made him a 'Christian'.

Justbyfaith
How will that help ALL the millions of human beings who lived PRIOR to the time the Christian Bible claims Jesus lived??
Justbyfaith claims their is ONLY salvation through the Christian Jesus... So what about all those who lived before he supposedly did... And all those who lived before the missionaries got there???

That's God's business. I would be more concerned about what people do with Him who hear about Him today?

Justbyfaith

Justbyfaith claims their is ONLY salvation through the Christian Jesus...

Here we go again embarrasment Do I claim this or did Jesus say it? Hello...anybody listening today? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Adam_PoE
This is a correct statement! Thank you JesusIsAlive. smile

Sock! eek!

Storm
Negative so far.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Storm
Negative so far.

How can anyone who posts here with any frequency not know that whobdamandog, Gay Guy, The Spinner, JesusIsAlive, and Jusbyfaith are the same ****ing person?

It is so ****ing ridiculous that he is allowed to continue this behavior that it has become absurd.

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
How can anyone who posts here with any frequency not know that whobdamandog, Gay Guy, The Spinner, JesusIsAlive, and Jusbyfaith are the same ****ing person?

It is so ****ing ridiculous that he is allowed to continue this behavior that it has become absurd.

That's insulting. But of course you have your right to an opinion.

You must be shocked there is two christians here JesusIsAlive and myself...maybe more?

Storm

Feel free to bring your grievance to Raz.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Storm
Feel free to bring your grievance to Raz.

I have.

Justbyfaith
I have.

Really? To group me in with non-christians and claim I/We are using different names is a sham. I think you need to focus maybe on more positive thoughts and realities.

The Omega

Oh, MORE socks? More people to put on ignore?? We need a sock-alert around here.

Shakyamunison
Really? To group me in with non-christians and claim I/We are using different names is a sham. I think you need to focus maybe on more positive thoughts and realities.

I agree.

We should not convict someone without evidence.

Adam_PoE, IMO If you have evidence, then present it to Raz, but please do not confront the person directly. If you wish to discuss this matter on the forum, in a nice way, then open a thread that would not be closed because of negativity.

debbiejo
Sock! eek! *takes another blue pill* wacko

The Omega
*takes another blue pill* wacko

Yeah, hand me one, too... I am utterly unable to see "socks". What x-ray glasses are people wearing these days... ? smile

Justbyfaith
Yeah, hand me one, too... I am utterly unable to see "socks". What x-ray glasses are people wearing these days... ? smile

Since your on the "No Other Way" thread. Could you share another way to God and how to get there?

Adam_PoE
I agree.

We should not convict someone without evidence.

Adam_PoE, IMO If you have evidence, then present it to Raz, but please do not confront the person directly. If you wish to discuss this matter on the forum, in a nice way, then open a thread that would not be closed because of negativity.

No one asked for your opinion.

Do not concern yourself with an issue that has nothing to do with you.

Stop amateur moderating.

Immediately after whobdamandog was banned, several "new members," including but not limited to Gay Guy, The Spinner, Justbyfaith, and JesusIsAlive, registered and began posting in threads that he was participating in, continuing his arguments, or directly parodying the arguments or members opposed to him. Do you think that is a ****ing coincidence? What evidence is sufficient for you?

Storm
I have.
Then there' s no need to waste anymore words on it.

Continue the debate.

JaehSkywalker

um, i do agree JBF, though, they won't exactly believe you here. and they have diff. beliefs, and also, that's not exactly the way you would want to share the gospel to them... i know this may sound bad, but that's not exactly the best way to make a good impression with them..

debbiejo
Since your on the "No Other Way" thread. Could you share another way to God and how to get there? How about energy cannot be destroy but only changes form, and like the one scripture that says "The spirit returns to god that gave it"........There is only one destination IMO, and that is where we came from in the first place...

Alliance
Why is the spirit/soul/we energy though?

The Omega
JBF> So you still cannot give me an answer as to how all the people who lived prior to Jesus supposedly did and prior to meeting missionaries can go to Heaven when you claim it can ONLY be done through Jesus???

Bardock42
JBF> So you still cannot give me an answer as to how all the people who lived prior to Jesus supposedly did and prior to meeting missionaries can go to Heaven when you claim it can ONLY be done through Jesus???

The idea is I think that before Jesus died the people had to live good lives themselves to be admitted to heaven, Jesus made it easier...but less fair.

The Omega
But does that not contradict the Bible, where it says you can ONLY gain access to Paradise through the Christian Jesus??
And what about the Buddhist who's lived a good life... No Paradise for her, eh?

debbiejo
Why is the spirit/soul/we energy though? Because everything visible and invisible is made of energy....... smart

Bardock......don't even start....

Alliance
Because everything visible and invisible is made of energy....... smart

Let me help you with that. Everything physical is made of energy. smart

My question still stands.

debbiejo
Let me help you with that. Everything physical is made of energy. smart

My question still stands. Not quite there Mr. Photons are not visible to the eye... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
Um...they're eminating from my computer screen. actually....

WhAt? How do you think you see?

And yes I'm right.

Shakyamunison
Not quite there Mr. Photons are not visible to the eye... roll eyes (sarcastic)

eek! I think I know what you mean. Photons are not visible until they enter the eye, so a photon that never reaches the eye is never seen. Is that what you mean? confused

Why is the spirit/soul/we energy though?

There is no spirit, soul or we. All there is, is karma; cause and effect.

Alliance
If that's your position, then nothing can be "seen" except for photons.

Shakyamunison
If that's your position, then nothing can be "seen" except for photons.

Nothing can be see except for photons? I think that is correct. Can you think of anything else we can see?

debbiejo
Photons can change into waves and blink and out of view......all things blend together and would not appear as we would naturally see them, if you had the right equipment...sooo the invisible is full of them....

Alliance
Thats incorrect, but there is a new tread for this here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...threadid=411487

Mindship
Nothing can be see except for photons? I think that is correct. Can you think of anything else we can see?
We "see" what we envision. Though I am miles away, separated by walls and distance, I can "see" the desk in my office, construct a reliable mental image.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Alliance
Where did the new thread on this go?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.