Do the films undermine the power of the force users?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Akira99
Does anyone think that the movies make the force users look pretty weak. I can understand that due to lack of tech etc. the various feats of telekinesis in the OT were not very spectacular or strong.
But it seems to me that even in the PT they are still pretty weak. I mean look at the abilities of X-men in film - the power of Dr. Grey or Phoenix. Jedi powers can't even compare to many psionics in film today.
How strong are the force users supposed to be really? I heard from somewhere that Exar Kun could move stars or something from another thread. I can't imagine Yoda from the films doing that!

aj_vader
Darth Vader can lift people off the ground and choke them from distance

Yoda can lift ships out of swamps can force push sith lords, stop force lightning

Palpatine can Fire lightning powerfully out of both hands

Count Dooku can jump very high

Obi-Wan with the mind trick

X-Men is a bit too far fetched when you look at it like that, because the Force in Star Wars is such a mystical special thing and the powers aren't too unrealistic, X men characters are mental, they have soo many powers, personally i just think am watching a Farfetched Cartoon when i watch the X Men Movies

but hey, i prefer bryan synger to george lucas :P

Blue_Hefner
^^Those powers are pretty weak.

Better examples I think would be, they can fall or jump hundreds of feet without getting injured afterwards. Yoda can absorb lightning and redirect it back to its user. They can get shot in vital body parts without dying immediately, ex. it took 3 or 4 shots for Jango to kill coleman trebor.

but the force is used on a much greater scale in the EU.

Jedi Priestess
Which is part of the reason some of us think the EU is crap. If you want that kind of stuff read a comic book for heavens sake.

aj_vader
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Which is part of the reason some of us think the EU is crap. If you want that kind of stuff read a comic book for heavens sake.

You said it! Not being Disrespectful to people who do so.

Captain REX
JP is fully right. The comics turn the Force into a means of performing magical feats that you'd see in an X-Men comic book. It loses its mystical feeling.

Sin Harvest
Originally posted by Akira99
Does anyone think that the movies make the force users look pretty weak. I can understand that due to lack of tech etc. the various feats of telekinesis in the OT were not very spectacular or strong.
But it seems to me that even in the PT they are still pretty weak. I mean look at the abilities of X-men in film - the power of Dr. Grey or Phoenix. Jedi powers can't even compare to many psionics in film today.
How strong are the force users supposed to be really? I heard from somewhere that Exar Kun could move stars or something from another thread. I can't imagine Yoda from the films doing that!

Have you thought that most of the EU overpowers their characters?

Ganner Rhysode
Yeah. I'm fine with a lot of EU, but when EU turns The Force into some twisted cross of Superman and Jean Grey, it kinda ticks me off. Case in point being when Palpatine's clone was able to destroy a fleet of warships and throw suns with the Force. The Force shouldn't be able to do that, nor should it's users. That's just farfetched.

Comparing that to a comic book style of powers is an analogy I haven't seen before, but I definitely see how it fits.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Akira99
How strong are the force users supposed to be really? I heard from somewhere that Exar Kun could move stars or something from another thread. I can't imagine Yoda from the films doing that! Exar and Ragnos and Revan are all EU, blown ridiculously out of proportion simply to match or excel their predecssors. Everyone thought Revan was the bomb, then they created a guy who could literally eat the Force. It got foolish.

The movies were the first, the original, the patriarch of all that followed. All of EU is more of a marketing gimic rather than works of art, which the OT is considered by many to be... not so much the PT. The EU are like glorified comic books.

Which is exactly what X-Men is. Kids were the original intended market for those, and kids wanna see mutants that could blow up New York with a blink of the eye and a guy who could stop them by shooting a laser while blinking back. The X-Men target market desired and even demanded powers and abilities blown out of proportion. SW wasn't meant to be that far-fetched.

=X=
I think the new films are too serious and religious.

smoker4
blink

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Tangible God
Exar and Ragnos and Revan are all EU, blown ridiculously out of proportion simply to match or excel their predecssors. Everyone thought Revan was the bomb, then they created a guy who could literally eat the Force. It got foolish.

The movies were the first, the original, the patriarch of all that followed. All of EU is more of a marketing gimic rather than works of art, which the OT is considered by many to be... not so much the PT. The EU are like glorified comic books.

Which is exactly what X-Men is. Kids were the original intended market for those, and kids wanna see mutants that could blow up New York with a blink of the eye and a guy who could stop them by shooting a laser while blinking back. The X-Men target market desired and even demanded powers and abilities blown out of proportion. SW wasn't meant to be that far-fetched.

I wonder who is next? My guess is someone who can drain the Force from people and give it to himself to increase his Force powers.

I think it is kind of sad that Palpatine's clone was far stronger then the actually Emperor himself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.