The Imperial Remnant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Escape81
Any thoughts on everyone's favorite decaying Galactic Empire?

Pellaeon owns.

GM Nebaris
Pallaeon is probably my favorite character in the whole saga. Him or Jori Daragon.

Escape81
Originally posted by GM Nebaris
Pallaeon is probably my favorite character in the whole saga. Him or Jori Daragon.

I agree about Pellaeon.

He represents the "not-so-evil" side of the Empire. He's fanatically loyal to the Empire, and doesn't do his duty "begrudgingly". He's pretty damn clever, but isn't on the level of Thrawn or Ackbar, but still manages to get things done.

Veteran and experience springs to mind.

Plus, I love it how though he is duty-bound to uphold Palpatine's New Order, he disagrees with some of the things that the Emperor did.

But, perhaps, my favorite thing about Pellaeon is the tradition of him always being the one to pick up the pieces. Whether it be when Palpatine died at Endor, Thrawn's death, or Admiral Daala retiring.

Archangelysses
Pallaeon is by far the best.

He was a skilled captain, and an even better general. The type of general that could make a decision in the middle of a s***storm without blinking.

All this because he was the student and "Protege" of Grand Admiral Thrawn. And there is no arguing the tactical genius of Thrawn. He was THE MAN in that regard.

Pallaeon learned from Thrawn. While he would never be as good, he learned how to be the next best.

Escape81
Originally posted by Archangelysses
Pallaeon is by far the best.

He was a skilled captain, and an even better general. The type of general that could make a decision in the middle of a s***storm without blinking.

All this because he was the student and "Protege" of Grand Admiral Thrawn. And there is no arguing the tactical genius of Thrawn. He was THE MAN in that regard.

Pallaeon learned from Thrawn. While he would never be as good, he learned how to be the next best.

Determined and experienced. As far as determination and experience, I believe he's peerless. He's older than Thrawn and has seen more frontline battle - despite Thrawn's natural tactical ability.

Archangelysses
True E81 very true.

Shame Thrawn died, would have loved to have seen what would have happened if Thrawn vs Yuzhan Vong

Escape81
True E81 very true.

Shame Thrawn died, would have loved to have seen what would have happened if Thrawn vs Yuzhan Vong

Well, we know that the Vong feared Palpatine and the Empire to the point that they remained in the shadows until the New Republic (*boo* *hiss*) slowly eroded them down.

See, like Pellaeon, I don't see Thrawn as pure evil. I see Palpatine as the ultimate incarnation of evil in the stories - and surely Thrawn is more evil than Pellaeon, but I think that it gives him some motivation.

Thrawn joined the Empire because:
- Most powerful militaristic regime in the history of the galaxy
- The only organization that stood a chance against the Vong.

And, I find the whole situation regarding Outbound Flight brilliant as well. Palpatine knew of the Vong, and tried to keep Outbound Flight from spurring a reaction from them, and - in the end - Thrawn saves the day.

Archangelysses
Sucks that Luke and Mara killed the clone.

Don't think they would have if they had of listened to Baron Fel and the others at the Hand of Thrawn's hidden Base. IF ONLY.

Palpatine was right to fear the Vong. But I think that was the main idea for the Death Star. Not to be used to subjugate the Republic/Empire/Rebellion, but more to be used against those planets turned into Doval Basins ( I think that's correct spelling ).

Plus that sort of a superlaser I doubt it could have absorbed. Again, this is taking a part of canon Death Star lore and tying it into the EU which is never completely simple.

What do you think?

Escape81
Sucks that Luke and Mara killed the clone.

Don't think they would have if they had of listened to Baron Fel and the others at the Hand of Thrawn's hidden Base. IF ONLY.

Palpatine was right to fear the Vong. But I think that was the main idea for the Death Star. Not to be used to subjugate the Republic/Empire/Rebellion, but more to be used against those planets turned into Doval Basins ( I think that's correct spelling ).

Plus that sort of a superlaser I doubt it could have absorbed. Again, this is taking a part of canon Death Star lore and tying it into the EU which is never completely simple.

What do you think?

Palpatine didn't fear the Vong as an entity. See, he feared they'd attack prematurely. The Republic didn't have an official military to combat the Vong.

The Vong feared Palpatine and the Empire, because the Empire's military is the most powerful one. Or "was".

And the Death Star theory is incredibly accurate. As for the clone of Thrawn, Zahn said in an interview that Thrawn may end up returning in some form, once more . . .

Archangelysses
True, again

The republic would have been crushed in moments. If it took ten years to get the clones to the level they were in AOTC then the republic would have been dust long before. The jedi of the time would have been overwhelmed in less than a year.

The empire and its massive navy were necessary in that regard. Then the Death Star was more of First Strike weapon. Then if the rebellion had of died/been crushed. Palpatine would have turned his attention to the Vong and gone to dust them. The Navy were only to keep the death star from being overwhelmed by force.

Escape81
True, again

The republic would have been crushed in moments. If it took ten years to get the clones to the level they were in AOTC then the republic would have been dust long before. The jedi of the time would have been overwhelmed in less than a year.

The empire and its massive navy were necessary in that regard. Then the Death Star was more of First Strike weapon. Then if the rebellion had of died/been crushed. Palpatine would have turned his attention to the Vong and gone to dust them. The Navy were only to keep the death star from being overwhelmed by force.

Precisely.

It never implies or explains how, but Palpatine was able to become aware of the Vong's existence shortly before Outbound Flight became a concept (probably via his network of agents). Which is why, as "Chancellor", Palpatine did his best to subtlely halt and degress the progress made on it.

C'Boath, Yoda, and all the others were unaware of the Vong - save for the future Grand Admiral Thrawn.

When the Empire became established, the Yuuzhan Vong understood that they were no match for the Empire's military and - in a Palpatine-esque maneuver - allowed the Rebellion and such to erode the Empire's military down.

Unfortunately, the New Republic (despite having a capable military) did not have one on the scale that the Empire did, which is why the Vong decided to attack.

I find Thrawn's relationship with Palpatine also fascinating. I suppose it's similar to Pallaeon's beliefs of Palpatine. On the one hand, the Emperor was responsible for the formation of the Empire and the New Order - which Thrawn believed in. But, like Pellaeon, I think that Thrawn despised the Emperor's megalomania and xenophobia.

Archangelysses
I would have to agree.

Thrawn knew that Palpatine did not like aliens. (on a side note - one of the biggest collaborators in his rise to power was an alien Mas Amedda). Yet he moved to erase aliens. Oh well, Megalomania.

Thrawn was one person who would actually say no to Palpatine - always for a fully justified military reason.

WHere did the Srri Ruuk stand in the picture though. They had a very similar sort of tech to the Yuuzhan Vong. I wonder if they were an offshoot in a way. Or maybe the natural enemy of the Vong. Maybe that explains there encroachment into republic space after the death of the emporer. Hoping to expand and prepare for Vong invasion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.