Superman needs a new costume

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K.Diddy
smokin'

roughrider
I think it's fine - I like a lot of the touches on this one, like the raised shield and the darker colours, in particular the blue. And they took the yellow 'S' off his cape. It's still a challenge to make his shorts look logical, though.

Darth Martin
I like the new boots.

NoFate007
I think if they could figure out a way to get rid of the whole "unnecessary underwear on the outside" look, it'd be cool.

redcaped
Captain America also has the "underwear" and it looks extremely cool. Plus, you need a good shape for that!

roughrider
Originally posted by redcaped
Captain America also has the "underwear" and it looks extremely cool. Plus, you need a good shape for that!

His 'underwear' is the same colour as his leggings, which doesn't make it draw attention. If Superman was the same, and just had a yellow & red belt of some kind on top - it could work.

TheFilmProphet
Old pic, but given the topic of the convo, I felt it necessary to post.

http://i1.tinypic.com/1zntyjk.jpg

roughrider
What helps the shorts this time is the darker colour of all the reds, to maroon or burgundy. Meshes with the darker blue better. I have noticed a lot of Warner Bros. picture ads have the red lighter, like the more familiar colour we know ( to reassure fans?)

redcaped
Bryan Singer is a born wise person. Perfect costume...the best superman.

NoFate007
I've always thought that Superman should wear a costume that was woven out of kryptonian technology, like some fabric created by the crystals in the Fortress of Solitude or something. Him wearing like a pair of cotton underwear over tights....how does that withstand going in and out of the atmosphere? lol

Osaka
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet

The orginal photo I think looks better. smile

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Osaka
The orginal photo I think looks better. smile

Exactly what I said when I first saw that pic about a year ago.

Mild changes, but large improvement. smile

pr1983
i like the one on the left...

TheFilmProphet
Ah, nevermind I thought that was the pic Osaka was referring to. embarrasment

Osaka
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
Ah, nevermind I thought that was the pic Osaka was referring to. embarrasment

No the one on the right I like much better smile

chase el
the reason supermans suit doesnt get damaged is because his body sends off a aura to match his skin. his skin is unpenetrable and like a rock and sends an aura to protect his suit.

Read it in the Superman encyclopedia. i guess thats good cuz if it was more realistic, superman would be naked... alot...

roughrider
In the movies, the suit has a kryptonian connection. The 'S' shield is actually his family crest, and the material obviously has kryptonian tech to it's making - the cape doesn't rip either. It could be the kind of suit princes or royalty of some kind wear on Krypton.

NoFate007
Ah ok. Glad to see that they've decided to make it like that. I was just always annoyed at that "it'll only tear when we want it to look cool" type of thing lol

roughrider
When John Byrne did his reboot, and had Martha Kent sewing this costume for him, designing it all roll eyes (sarcastic) , his bio-aura kept it from being damaged except by extreme harm. But that cape got ripped and vaporized every issue. I think Byrne got some weird pleasure out of drawing a ragged-looking cape every issue, and showing us Clark had a closet full of replacement capes. When Byrne left, DC said enough and had a long plot arc that ended with him getting a near-indestructable cape to use, made of alien material.

.Dance_Inside.
I like the new costume
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/Cillianmissexy69/Promo_005.jpg

Wesyeed
I'd like it to be less dark and have the classic wider neckline. His boots are too big to fit under his clothes. The S on the belt needs to be put back on the cape.

I'd like that.

batdude123
Originally posted by K.Diddy
smokin'

NOPE!!

Up In Flames
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I like the new boots.

they look like basketball shoes... inappropriate.

Up In Flames
changing superman's costume would be like changing hulk's skin colour or batman's cowl or changing captain america's name to man of america or something.

i think its wise to maintain originality.

brainchild81
But the costume sucks though. Hulk's skin, Cap's name and Batman's cowl don't

Darth Vegas
He should wear the costume of his Justice Lords counterpart.

That costume kicks ass.

MattDay
I liked the darker colours, the bright colours gave him a sense of being too childish, meaning he'd be only appealing to the youth, the older community would laugh at such a high contrast suit. The S on his cape or on his belt doesn't bother me... it's not a big change there, but on the belt and cape would be better.

boots should be like the original, they can stay like a leather style, but should be like slip on boots, smooth and the only hard surface should be the sole... I hear brian singer is thinking of making minor alterations for the sequel, if he does, the boots should be changed, everything else is good to go.

nate100
To be honest i personally like the costume.

The only minor gripes i have are the boots and possibly the material for the cape.

The boots:

Well basically, they're just crap. Obviously he needs to wear boots (that's a given) but why does he need 2 inch rubber moulded heels on the bastards with his emblem splashed all over them?? Its just too much detail/extravagance for an item that is never seen up close. They need to be a simple pair of red boots that go with the classic simple design of the costume.

The cape:

With this it's only a little gripe. In the film i feel it worked very very well in the flying scenes, but in the photos it just looks wrong. Like the photo above with him climbing the stairs. It looks leathery!!?? It should have a more cotton-ish texture & appearance in my opinion but obviously one that mixes with the rest of the costume. And the attachment is ok but i feel a more fluid/flowing attachment is needed. At the moment it looks too restrictive and heavy. As with the boots i hope they will sort this out for the sequel.

Any way, that's my only problems with the new suit.

MattDay
the cape bothered you eh? fair enough, i thought it was made of rubber for most scenes, it didn't look too bad, but maybe not cotton looking, cotton is an odd material for a super suit don't ya think? but i understand where your comming from, maybe a more stylish design

Mindship
Originally posted by Darth Vegas

That costume kicks ass.

Yeah, that one was pretty cool.

jdea
Originally posted by Praylu

I think the 1st looks way better, but I still think the blue and red should be darker, with the blue more like navy blue or like the fantastic four's color

MattDay
they both look good, the first one is more styled like the original, with the longer boot tops, and wider neck line, heck send it into the official superman web site, maybe brian might see it! give him ideas!!

super pr*xy
the constume worked for the movie. or at least it did for me. this new on is like an amalgam of the previous costumes. brian took some cues, a little bit of everything, and put it in the new costume. the inane details, like the small laser cut "S" on the chest emblem and boots, are awesome in my opinion. from afar you're like "they're nothing special." but then when you get them to see them up close, it's like a neat suprise.

and the justice lord superman has a sweet costume indeed. i wish they could incorporate it in the movies.

MattDay
alternative costume, possibly when he's in a bad mood he could wear that one lol

super pr*xy
i can see that already...

LEX: millions-- no, billions of people will die!

SUPES: i will not allow it!

LEX: you'll try...

SUPES: you're pissing me off!!! uhm...wait here. i need to change into my pissed off costume...

ankur29
imagine they had a blue enegy supes in a movie.wikd no more diapers lol jus jokin

apprently you will be able to pick suits in the new superman returns game

brainchild81

That costume kicks ass. ditto

chase el
Originally posted by brainchild81
ditto

thats definately a kick ass costume. Agreed!

But to stay on topic at first when i saw the costume it was really wack. But it worked well in the movie and at no time did the costume design ever come into doubt when the movie was playing. They made it look really stylish and Bryan Singer did a great job. All Superhero movies almost all the heroes received a brand spankin new design on their costumes (most notably the X-men and Fantastic 4). But spiderman is pretty much the exact thing it is in the costume... but better. While i think the Comic Superman with the classic colors look great... but come on... in real life would you feel TRULY safer with someone with BRIGHT colors... or a little darker tone? I prefer darker in real life. But as I said... i like the classic colors in comic.

thats my piece... Superman kicks ass

Bicnarok

brainchild81
"S" was way too small IMO

pr1983
Originally posted by brainchild81
"S" was way too small IMO

Yeah...

chase el
yupp def agree it shoulda been bigger... but it did work

brainchild81
Nah. It really didn't

MattDay
it did... it's an "S" and it was visible, it looks like the superman logo, what didn't work? u fcuking idoit brainchild, always answering with nothing to back it up, it worked well, u recognise it, plus the original superman logo sucked, too childish... an all over upgrade was what the new suit is, plus the chris reeve suit looks like pyjamas

brainchild81
What are you like 12? Grow the hell up dude. I said it was too small. Look @ how it looks in the comics. Even Superman fans agree. (I guess one of his ignorant rabid fanboys doesn't.)That's what backs it up. Your insults only make you look like one who can't express himself w/intelligence. Next time you want to call someone an idiot, learn to spell it 1st. Idiot. I-D-I-O-T. aka MattDay laughing Seriously though, if you can't handle my opinion because you're a foolish fanboy, just put me on ignore.

MattDay
lol this is a forum, i'm not being serious one bit, only geeks would take this stuff seriously, man ur easy to wind up, u b*tch!

MattDay
superman's suit is better than the reeve one

brainchild81
I'll have to see that one again. That doesn't make this one suck any less thoughOriginally posted by MattDay
lol this is a forum, i'm not being serious one bit, only geeks would take this stuff seriously, man ur easy to wind up, u b*tch! laughing Nah. I honestly haven't been wound up yet. I've been laughing @ you most of the time because I thought you were the one getting pissed. If anyone here ever pissed me off(hasn't happened yet) I'd just put them on ignore. Seriously though, as a Supes fan, you should be harsher on this film than I am. I've seen T-shirts w/a better S than they had in the movie. We all have

MattDay
BO! I thought it went well, they could make it bigger, but that's just for aesthetics, plus it looks like the "S" we all know and have seen on t-shirts better than the one from the film... lalalalalalalasmile

kryptonitekid
Why not add a kryptonite knecklace to his costume?

MattDay
... pain for pleasure?

supermanwins
supermans suit from the last film was good but they shuld add take the cape away when he gets injured and add like some red streaks on his sides

Kraken
the one in the movies was better.

office jesus

That costume kicks ass.

Red / White / Black. Yeah. That does rock. Notice that it's similar to Eradicator's ?

Chume1840
Yes he does how do you think he hides who he is with just glasses??

AndoranAdun
Originally posted by office jesus
Red / White / Black. Yeah. That does rock. Notice that it's similar to Eradicator's ?

Meh, it was ok I suppose. Only gripe I had about it was the S-shield. Everytime they draw that thing in the cartoon it looks to darn sloppy.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Praise for a new costume for Supes. DC should listen I hope.

Francisco
Supes outfit works all rigth for me. It is a classic.

Amazon
Yeah I think Smallville has ruined me for the classic superman. The classic superman outfit in my opinon sucks. Why would a grown man trying to remain inconspicous wear a bright blue outfit with underwear on the outside and have a bright red cape. Not to mention its unessicarily tight. Unless this is traditional Kryptonian clothing it's a little dated and should be updated for the modern story telling. They've updated everything else, why not his outfit?

MattDay
to be honest i consider the returns suit an upgrade, whether u like it or not, the colours are not too bright, like the original, he actually wears boots instead of a all in one suit, his belt actually looks like a belt, instead of a yellow ribben, his shield is raised.. that wasn't really necessary but oh well, and his cape is pretty much the same, although the neck line is much higher than the original as well. i dont mind almost all the changes just the s shield should be bigger and a bigger neck line... then I'd say a brillaint upgraded suit, and also it's clothing from his home world... hense its as durable as he is

Kryptonian57
You can't darken the colours of the world's greatest superhero!!!!!!!
He is a walking symbol of Truth and Justice (ok...and the american way- which in my opinion should be changed for us over the pond Superman fans). He has to be bright and visible, not dark and grimy like Bats. The primary colours of blue, yellow and red have are visually eye-catching and that is the whole damn point.

The tweaked photo of superman looks so much better than the final film product. A small 'S' for crying out-loud!!!!! And Singer clained to be inspired by Alex Ross...well mate that isn't how he draws it! Besides it just leaves a huge blue-void around the midriff. Plus a tucked in cape!!!! It looks like he put it on as an after-thought, it isn't anywhere near elegant or majestic enough! Total Rubbish!

To NOFATE007 - Ripped capes can look cool.

Amazon
Then why is he always trying to remain inconspicuous???? It just seems counter productive.

Also I should mention that I think the red and blue thing is to partially represent the american flag colors, because he's supposed to be an all american boy. "I fight for truth justic and the american way"LOL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.