Proof, proof and more proof?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MARCMAN
What proof if any could convince you that Chrtianity is 100% true?

Alliance
Isn't this thread a bit redundant?

Mindship
I think it would help if you spelled out, precisely, what you mean by that question (it's kinda broad). For example: "What proof if any could convince you that Jesus is the True Messiah / One and Only Son of God / God?"

Grimm22
Depending on your type of faith no expression

I personally dont belong to any one type of christianity, rather I just believe whats right.

However I do believe that Catholocism is a corrupted religion...

Seeing as it marks people such as the Pope as a higher authority than normal people where in god's eyes we are all the same authority

Nellinator
You could ask for a sign and if you get one you could have your answer. And if you don't Christianity could still be true, but it could also be wrong.

Templares
For any religion, not only Christianity to be 100% true, they must first prove that their god exists and is indeed all powerful. Afterwards, they must show that their religion is better than the others.

Wonderer
Even if I saw Christ right in front of my own eyes, I would still not believe, because my eyes may be deceiving me, so seeing is not believing. Any proof can be doubted, because nobody can be 100% sure about ANYTHING ever, as we can always doubt even our own experiences.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by MARCMAN

You make it sound like non-believers are fairly drowning in proof and yet refuse to accept Christianity is true. While it might be redundant I have to say "sorry, that isn't true."

What proof would convince me? Oh, I don't know - some evidence God actually exists? Some tangible reason to believe there is a heaven/hell? Some proof that he actually cares even a smidgen, like I don't know, appearing as a great big ball of light and stopping the next Tsunami that is about to wipe out a few hundred thousand people? Some actually reason why gay people are bad and why women shouldn't be priests? And so on and so one....

You know, even a little bit of proof that all the gut wrenching stuff these TV evangelists go on about is real? Because at the moment the seems to be 0% proof that Christianity is 100% true. And if all Christianity has to show for 2000 years of work is 0% proof, then I find it hard to get my hopes up.

Alliance
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
You make it sound like non-believers are fairly drowning in proof and yet refuse to accept Christianity is true. While it might be redundant I have to say "sorry, that isn't true."

I think your interpretation is a innacurate.

Originally posted by Grimm22
I personally dont belong to any one type of christianity, rather I just believe whats right.

However I do believe that Catholocism is a corrupted religion...

The point of this thread is "how do you know it is right?"

And Cathoicism is no more corrupted than any other branch. People like Pat Robertson have done more Damage than many Popes have.

Nellinator
I would say some spiritual gifts like speaking in tongues, miracles, and healing are slightly miraculous and are an impossiblity that needs a better explanation by science.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Nellinator
I would say some spiritual gifts like speaking in tongues, miracles, and healing are slightly miraculous and are an impossiblity that needs a better explanation by science.

Explanation = over active imagination along with a delusional teaching that promotes such things.

Nellinator
The ability to speak in languages unknown to you? I'm sure that an overactive imagination cannot explain that.

Shakyamunison
The ability to speak in languages unknown to you? I'm sure that an overactive imagination cannot explain that.

I have seen people speak in tongues, and it was simple hysteria.

Nellinator
If you had someone to translate perhaps it would have made more sense. In fact the Bible teaches that Christians should not publicly speak in tongues without a translator or interpreter.

Shakyamunison
If you had someone to translate perhaps it would have made more sense. In fact the Bible teaches that Christians should not publicly speak in tongues without a translator or interpreter.

Have you ever been to a Pentecostal Church? I think they would disagree with you.

Nellinator
They would be ignoring the Bible then according to 1 Corinthians 14:26-28. If they don't have an interpreter they should be silent.

Shakyamunison
They would be ignoring the Bible then according to 1 Corinthians 14:26-28. If they don't have an interpreter they should be silent.

Christians ignoring the bible? eek!

*I don't think I could be more sarcastic.*

Alliance

Please...can science explain these things I made up?

Science is not anti-religion. Please get over it.

The Omega
Originally posted by MARCMAN

First of all I'd like proof that Jesus ever existed. I've come across none outside the Christian Bible.
Then I'd need someone to prove to me, that the Bible is the infalliable word of a deity. The Christian Bible is filled with faulty translations, contradictions, and scientific nonsense.
Then I'd probably like someone to explain to me why God once interferred directly (Sodoma and Gomorra, burning bushes, parting oceans) and then CHANGED his mind.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance
I think your interpretation is a innacurate.

Quite possibly, the question, in my eyes would have seemed innocent enough, but the inclusion of the "what proof *if any*" - which seemed to imply that it is even possible if there was "proof, proof and more proof"(as the thread title said) that people would not accept 100% that Christianity is true, which in turn links up with the recent spate of posters who believe just quoting the bible = unquestionable proof, and that people who don't believe are unreasonable even when provided with such proof (where as just quoting the Bible is most certainly not proof.)

debbiejo
If you had someone to translate perhaps it would have made more sense. In fact the Bible teaches that Christians should not publicly speak in tongues without a translator or interpreter. I have also heard people speak in tongues...and it's all redundant...same mummblings over and over again.....and it's a waste and not at all used as was mentioned in the book of Acts.....they should be speaking OTHER languages and only when there are people that are attending that would not understand it....This was the purpose of speaking in tongues.....NOT what it has become today....Some churches even give classes in "This gift"........how can it be a gift if you have to be taught it........I've heard it so often, I can memic it myself... smart

Shondi onda killa de shondi ohhh ana mo shondi andi anamaka dia ...Day-O Day-O daylight come and me wanta go home.........etc....lol

Alliance
I can speak in tounges: Osi'kyr! Ni'duraa! Ne'johaa!

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
I have also heard people speak in tongues...and it's all redundant...same mummblings over and over again.....and it's a waste and not at all used as was mentioned in the book of Acts.....they should be speaking OTHER languages and only when there are people that are attending that would not understand it....This was the purpose of speaking in tongues.....NOT what it has become today....Some churches even give classes in "This gift"........how can it be a gift if you have to be taught it........I've heard it so often, I can memic it myself... smart

Shondi onda killa de shondi ohhh ana mo shondi andi anamaka dia ...Day-O Day-O daylight come and me wanta go home.........etc....lol

Agreed. The gift of Tongues is merely the ability to speak in various languages, and I believe it was stated that it was speaking so that many people understood the speech in their native tongue.

Nellinator
It also taught as a prayer language for many Christians to use. When speaking in the Holy Spirit it is though that one prays for the things God wants for your life, not what you want for your life.

Everything aside it is difficult to explain from a secular point of view when it is being use as it was intended. Can anyone come up with a logical explanation?

Alliance
I didn't know that Christians prayed in Mando'a!

Regret
It also taught as a prayer language for many Christians to use. When speaking in the Holy Spirit it is though that one prays for the things God wants for your life, not what you want for your life.

Everything aside it is difficult to explain from a secular point of view when it is being use as it was intended. Can anyone come up with a logical explanation?

Somewhere along the line someone really screwed with that version of the religion as far as that goes. There isn't anywhere in the Bible that suggests that man would babble incoherently to pray. Christ gave examples of how to pray, and it wasn't by babbling incoherently. Also, nowhere in the New Testament was this new "tongue" described.

Sorry, you asked for a logical explanation.

Nellinator
I would agree with your statement that it is a false way to pray.

Regret
woot cheers

Alliance
Isnt alcohol an abomination? big grin

MyOwnMuse
Originally posted by The Omega
First of all I'd like proof that Jesus ever existed. I've come across none outside the Christian Bible.
Then I'd need someone to prove to me, that the Bible is the infalliable word of a deity. The Christian Bible is filled with faulty translations, contradictions, and scientific nonsense.
Then I'd probably like someone to explain to me why God once interferred directly (Sodoma and Gomorra, burning bushes, parting oceans) and then CHANGED his mind.

I've never actually heard of a large debate among religious historians about Jesus's existence.

The Bible is not the only place where Jesus is mentioned. The Qur'an mentions him often, and he is a highly regarded prophet in Islam. I do know there is some discrepancy in Judaism in regards to his existence, but I am not as well versed in that religion to go into more detail--perhaps someone here can fill me in?

So, no, no one has a body and a DNA sample to analyze, and there is the possibility that Jesus was created out of many different people, as is the case with Lao Tzu, but I have never heard much support in the way of that theory. But given his huge influence from a historical context, I find the claim that he never existed doubtful.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by MyOwnMuse
I've never actually heard of a large debate among religious historians about Jesus's existence.

The Bible is not the only place where Jesus is mentioned. The Qur'an mentions him often, and he is a highly regarded prophet in Islam. I do know there is some discrepancy in Judaism in regards to his existence, but I am not as well versed in that religion to go into more detail--perhaps someone here can fill me in?

But then Islam was founded some 400 years after Christianity, and is some way as a direct social/cultural response to it upon the region - it would not seem odd that Jesus would be mentioned when Christianity was the big mover and shaker at Islams founding.

And yes, there is plenty of debate - the fact that there is pretty much no non-Christian texts available from the period that mention him, no real genealogical evidence, or genetic evidence. No texts as written by Jesus, no descendants, we have virtually no evidence he existed except second hand claims from the Church and written in gospels. None of which, naturally, could be considered unbiased evidence.

Alliance
The problem is is that non-religious sources don't really mention Jesus until much after his alleged death.

Secluar sources would do him credit if he is in fact a "historical figure"

Wonderer
Originally posted by The Omega
My dear friend, I am no believer in Christ, but let me tell you this: What would religion be without the faith or belief element? You can't expect proof of a religion, for then it fails to be one - it's all about having faith. It's supposed to be a test of believers's faith and nothing else. Anyone who wants a religion to prove its relation to ultimate truth is pointless and ignorant.

My friend, don't make me laugh! There's nothing strange about people speaking in tongues - never heard about multilingual people? And 'miraculous' healing - have you never heard of the placebo effect? That means people's own will power can heal them. There's nothing miraculous about the things you mentioned.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wonderer
...My friend, don't make me laugh! There's nothing strange about people speaking in tongues - never heard about multilingual people? And 'miraculous' healing - have you never heard of the placebo effect? That means people's own will power can heal them. There's nothing miraculous about the things you mentioned.

The power of the mind: the illusion of reality is all in a lump of gray matter, in our head. wink

Alliance
Maybe its not an illusion. Maybe we are actually interpreting things correctly.

Shakyamunison
Maybe its not an illusion. Maybe we are actually interpreting things correctly.

Can your see radio waves? There is more to the universe then our senses can detect.

Alliance
But we can describe radiowaves. We have mastered them. There is more to the universe, but where do we draw the line? It ends somewhere, and its not beyond human understanding and its not outside of human understanding.

Perhaps we already understand it, its just that we have yet to correctly interpret it?

Shakyamunison
But we can describe radiowaves. We have mastered them. There is more to the universe, but where do we draw the line? It ends somewhere, and its not beyond human understanding and its not outside of human understanding.

Perhaps we already understand it, its just that we have yet to correctly interpret it?

That is were we disagree. I think it has no end and it is beyond our understanding. Maybe one day we will understand more of it, but there will always be more to know. If we ever got to the end, were we do understand, we will not be human anymore.

debbiejo
I've heard the gifts of tongues also called the language of angels....but what good is it if you are doing alone. A person wouldn't even know what they are speaking......As far as a person would know you are speaking blasphemies.....

And heretic Paul said not to do it without an interpreter.....So if that is also the case.......you would be stiffling the holy spirit wouldn't you??? roll eyes (sarcastic) If doing it alone....

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
That is were we disagree. I think it has no end and it is beyond our understanding. Maybe one day we will understand more of it, but there will always be more to know. If we ever got to the end, were we do understand, we will not be human anymore.

But this is not logical. Nothing is infinate. The idea that the univers is infinate is illogical to me. If something starts with a size, how can it wend with no size? Infinity to me is jsut a cop out for saying "too big to measure"

I think knowing and understanding are two different things. We know a lot. We don't know a lot more, but very few people understand. YOu base your idea of human on a lack of complete understanding. I don't think that is accurate.

Shakyamunison
But this is not logical. Nothing is infinite. The idea that the univers is infinite is illogical to me. If something starts with a size, how can it wend with no size? Infinity to me is jsut a cop out for saying "too big to measure"

I think knowing and understanding are two different things. We know a lot. We don't know a lot more, but very few people understand. YOu base your idea of human on a lack of complete understanding. I don't think that is accurate.

Infinity is not illogical. Math is extremely logical and infinity is a mathematical term.

Each dimension is infinite and without binderies.

There are parts of the universe and reality that are forever outside of our understanding. Example; what is space like inside of a black hole?

Alliance
Just because infinity is a mathematical concept, doesnt mean its magically logical.

Each dimension is part of space time, which is inexorable contianted within the universt itself. The universe is by defenition the edge of the experineced dimensions.

Just becuase we don;t know whats on the inside of a black hole now, doesnt mean its forever beyond our understanding.

Shakyamunison
Just because infinity is a mathematical concept, doesnt mean its magically logical.

Each dimension is part of space time, which is inexorable contianted within the universt itself. The universe is by defenition the edge of the experineced dimensions.

Just becuase we don;t know whats on the inside of a black hole now, doesnt mean its forever beyond our understanding.

We are limited, and as we increase in knowledge, we will remain limited. There will always be something we don't know, as long as we are human. We can know things directly, but most things we know are indirectly; that will always be the case.

What is the shape of a photon? What is the 9th dimension (according to string theory there should be at least 10)?

Regret

Is infinity logical? It implies an enormous amount of unreachable information. It seems that infinity is merely a concept in math to avoid or label an irrational solution?

I'm not a math person, so I'm just asking the question.

Alliance
You don't understand what I'm saying. We don't know everything. We certainly don't understand anything. i'm saying that its a goal thats constantly in progress.

If one starts his life, not knowing everything, learns throught his live, and dies not nowing everyhting.

You woudl say (imo) that its all the same becuase he doesn't knwo everything

I say, there was impovement, because he died knowing more.

Shakyamunison
You don't understand what I'm saying. We don't know everything. We certainly don't understand anything. i'm saying that its a goal thats constantly in progress.

If one starts his life, not knowing everything, learns throught his live, and dies not nowing everyhting.

You woudl say (imo) that its all the same becuase he doesn't knwo everything

I say, there was impovement, because he died knowing more.

Ya, I don't know what we are talking about now, because I agree with that. Later I will look back and see what it was we were agreeing about. laughing

Alliance
laughing

Alliance
Originally posted by Regret
Is infinity logical? It implies an enormous amount of unreachable information. It seems that infinity is merely a concept in math to avoid or label an irrational solution?

I'm not a math person, so I'm just asking the question.

I agree with this. It was a made up solution to describe numbers too big ot understand. It (to my knowledge) has never had practical applications.

Mindship
Originally posted by Regret

I'm not sure what you mean by the question.

Do you mean "merely" as a concept, as in mathematical infinity? Are you considering any kind of cosmic/spacetime infinity/eternity? What about "God" being infinite?

And what do you mean by logical? Should infinity be subject to formal rules of logic, or should it "just make sense" in a regular, guy-in-the-street kind of way?

Eg, quantum mechanics is not logical in any way we are formerly familiar with, though it is internally consistent. It's logical unto itself; and it is the most powerful representation of physical reality ever devised.

Might not infinity be "logical unto itself," and if it doesn't make sense to us that's because it doesn't have to, just like QM theory?

I'm just fishing here. I thought your statement was interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.