so, does anyone know if they will make another movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

emporerpants
much to my dismay, the movie isn't doing that well. does anyone know one way or another if they will make another superman movie? i hope so...

emporerpants
well? does anyone know?

Xam
i think they will considering that it is superman...but i dont think the amount of cash theyre making has anything to do with them making a sequel,cuz like it or not theyve ade a least 140mil so thats good enough to even consider a sequel

NoFate007
They'll do another.

Xam
Originally posted by NoFate007
They'll do another.

No Doubt

Osaka
According to IMDB they are planning for a 2009 release of the sequel.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Xam
but i dont think the amount of cash theyre making has anything to do with them making a sequel huh Which fantasy world do you live in?

emporerpants
xmarksthespot, do you think they'll make another?

SupezM'
Kevin Spacey and Brandon Routh signed on for 3 movies apparently.

systemshock2
Usually when a high-caliber movie like this comes out, not even the first week has passed before credible rumors are already spreading about the next sequel. But in this case it's been really really quiet, which is kind of bad. But this is Superman, which even if the movie doesn't make "POTC" or "Batman Begins" type money, the name alone still has an instant audience, and Warner Brothers knows it. Superman is still a very lucrative franchise.

The idea that a sequel will come out in 2009 is a very plausible one, since it fits the usual 3 year gap between sequels. But WB will definitely not let the budget go up so high next time. Either they'll sign Singer on again and give him less money, or they might not have faith in Singer again and go with another director. Hopefully Singer will be kept on, as the ideas he's started in Superman Returns, especially with the son, are very fascinating.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by emporerpants
xmarksthespot, do you think they'll make another? I think it depends on if the film turns a profit in the long run, probably via DVD sales. Studios don't usually finance sequels for loss-making films.

Heads will roll in the WB studios marketing department I'm sure.

NoFate007
Supposedly DC has plans of releasing Wonder Woman in 07, Batman in 08, and Superman in 09.

roughrider
It may not be quite as big as they wanted, but it's done well enough - getting past that barometer of $150 million - that the sequels will happen. They may look at the season for next release. The first Superman was released around Thanksgiving in 1978; are people more in the mood for him that time of year?

Back in April, Premiere magazine predicted a North American take of $230 million. It won't be far short of that.

GODOFALL1
Ofcourse they will do another. Brandon Routh has already signed a contract to make another one. So yes.

chase el
he signed on for 2 more

so has spacey

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by chase el
he signed on for 2 more

so has spacey So did the guy who played Sabretooth...

SupezM'
They'll make their money back no question about that.

they better make at least 2 more

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by roughrider
It may not be quite as big as they wanted, but it's done well enough - getting past that barometer of $150 million - that the sequels will happen. They may look at the season for next release. The first Superman was released around Thanksgiving in 1978; are people more in the mood for him that time of year?

Back in April, Premiere magazine predicted a North American take of $230 million. It won't be far short of that.

Even if it does, that's about 70 million short of breaking even (actually more, since the studios don't take 100% of the ticket gross.)

redcaped
another tear

quiqueg34
People are forgetting world-wide box office which accounts for 30 mill right now putting them at $180 mil. #343 all time world wide box office. they've made sequals based on much less than this. Maybe a smaller budget next time.

emporerpants
well, what does everyone think now? xmarksthespot, do you think they'll make a another one?

MattDay
it's made 320 mill worldwide, superman sequel is in pre production for story already, search on google, look for something that starts with "singer a go for sequel", it explains loosely that it's going ahead, and it'sa shade off 200 mil domestically at this moment of posting so it's all good don't worry a sequel is coming out... YEAH!

emporerpants
good

emporerpants
superman rocks, and more movies should be made. i hope they do darkseid and superman sun dips to take him out. that would rock. HARD.

redcaped
Things look good from down here! embarrasment

smiley8
Superman returns was a great movie and they should definitly make sequels! It probably didnt do as well as it should have because of that rubbish excuse of a movie that was POTC! That film only did well cos of ten year old girls going to see it in the summer holidays!

WrathfulDwarf
The sequel is schedule for 2009. So far both director and main actor are willing to work on it. It might be a little different this time. But time will tell.

.Dance_Inside.
they better make another one...or else *shakes fist*

Validus
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
So did the guy who played Sabretooth...
Clearly Tyler Mane played as significant a role in X-Men as Routh did in Superman. confused

You're nuts if you think they won't make another.

Blair Wind
eh I want more action. Give me the Doomsday storyline (minus the JLA) and Ill be happy smile

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
Clearly Tyler Mane played as significant a role in X-Men as Routh did in Superman. confused

You're nuts if you think they won't make another.

They won't wihtout a massively reduced budget if at all...

Originally posted by Blair Wind
eh I want more action. Give me the Doomsday storyline (minus the JLA) and Ill be happy smile

Amen to that... Doomsday would be awesome...

Face
I was also thinking Doomsday he makes the perfect badguy the fight scenes would be awesome

Validus
Originally posted by pr1983
They won't wihtout a massively reduced budget if at all...

Well if we take the quote that 60 million was spent on SR before a single frame was shot, the budget would be siginificantly less just because of that. No money is going out to Tim Burton and Nick Cage this time around.

At the end of the day SR will make a ton of money from DVD and merchandise.

pr1983
Well if we take the quote that 60 million was spent on SR before a single frame was shot, the budget would be siginificantly less just because of that. No money is going out to Tim Burton and Nick Cage this time around.

At the end of the day SR will make a ton of money from DVD and merchandise.

I hope so...

xmarksthespot

You're nuts if you think they won't make another. I suspect I may be a sociopath.. dunno if that counts... confused

They don't necessarily need to use Routh, Spacey or Bosworth, they can replace them with other/better actors, and their contracts can be used for other WB productions.

Even deducting the decade of preproduction pay or play idiocy WB got themselves into, the production budget for a sequel will likely be cut by around 50 million.

Validus
I don't think a smaller budget (150 million) would even be noticed by viewers. I still don't see where Singer's claimed 204 million budget went unless he and Spacey took a fat check.

xmarksthespot
I really have no idea how they managed to spend $204 million. The $55 million preproduction can't have been entirely unsalvagable. The main cast aren't exactly the hugest names in Hollywood. And the effects while good don't give the impression of $204 million needed... apparently without Australian tax incentives the film production would have cost around $220 million, the bullet to the eye is reported to have cost $2.3 million. messed

pr1983
I really have no idea how they managed to spend $204 million. The $55 million preproduction can't have been entirely unsalvagable. The main cast aren't exactly the hugest names in Hollywood. And the effects while good don't give the impression of $204 million needed... apparently without Australian tax incentives the film production would have cost around $220 million, the bullet to the eye is reported to have cost $2.3 million. messed

for one effects shot? shit...

MattDay
here's where a lot of the money went, they were using, watch brians blogs for him to state this himself, they were using the newest in filming technology, s'posed to give better colour responses and such, that's why the film looked so brilliant, a lot of money was put towards using this new technology, then the actors and staff must of taken a total of 50 million in total, then the cgi works and staff, man it does cost a lot to get these big movies going, but it was worth it, they got the man of steel back regardless.

also i agree the dvd sales will be brilliant, everyone who didnt go to the cinema are going to buy it on dvd instead, world works in mysterious ways

jdea
I hope they make a seuel, especially with someone who can go blow for blow with Sups, doomsday sounds good

I wonder what kind of character change he'll undergo in the next one, and how they'll deal with him having a son?

redcaped
I wish they bring the trio in a coned diamond. And please make Non have a few lines...he's not Frankenstein.

MattDay
that wouldn't be a good idea as it's the same problem SR faced because a lot of people know lex has been in the other films, so they weren't so eager to go see it, now bringing back all three villains from krypton is under the same bracket... been there, done that philosophy comes to mind, they need something completely new to superman movies otherwise we'll be saying "what sequel?"

redcaped
They have already remade movie 1...why not...whose against it

MattDay
SR is more of a reintroduction to superman, but we do not need another superman 2

redcaped
I do need it...the trio is the best from superman...his people, only bad. If all this is because of Luthor, he can be in the movie but near the end preparing something huge for the third one...not a travel agent or representative like he was in the old movie. I want it to be focus on the four of them, not even the kid involved. They all show up in their time. War of Titans...remember how great it sounds.

systemshock2

In another example, I just saw a fews days ago Miami Vice, which was reported to have cost $150 million itself. How in the hell did that movie end up costing $150 million. None of the places nor shots looked expensive. Nearly all of it took place in either large warehouses or deserted places of the city, or like in the end, at some trailer park. There's some mad money being spent now it seems in Hollywood. At least Superman Returns has the credibility of involving a flying man and some growing continent shots, but Miami Vice only had like two guys and the occasional car shot.

Velkyn
Actually it has been confirmed to quote another site (will give proper credit on mod approval, but it just isn't my information nor my place to advertise another site...)

"Actor Brendan Routh has been chosen to play the role of Superman. He has signed on to star in four movies including Batman Vs Superman."

I would be one of those people that camp at the theater for Batman Vs Superman geek

redcaped
He can sue your ass for misspelling his name

Velkyn
Sorry the whole section was pasted from another website... one that I neither accepted the credibility or the glory for. And if he wants to spend his time sorting through message boards for people with one post mispelling his name, he might be better served getting money from websites that might have money that made the initial error, anyway

redcaped
No, but for a second I believed you were him!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.