Herald+ Top Tier

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
I was lurking on SHC, and someone posted this as there definition of heralds and the like.

The Herald-Class provides top-tier durability, top-tier travel speed, top-tier energy manipulation, direct connection to a nigh-inexhaustible power-source, the ability to simulate a near-limitless number of powers and usually a top-tier weapon of some kind. Aside from managing to beat the hell out of them or stealing their power, they don't actually have an exploitable weakness.

Note, they don't believe that they are inherently superior to those more limited. But they do believe that they have more options of power application.
According to the above criteria, which characters have you(and I) been mistakenly giving the classification of "herald level/class"??

Remember, heralds aren't above the top tier.....Just set apart from them in scope. And add whichever heralds you would say might not actually have enough juice/scope to justify their title?

I'll start it off.

Not under the classification of herald class

Cap Marvel and the family
Black Adam
Superman and the fam
Hulk
Majestic
Don't look for WW here people...she's not in the running.
Martian Manhunter
Apollo
Firelord
Terrax

Many others i can't be bothered to name....

Who does fit the herald class though

Orion
Surfer(sets the bar)
Thor
Cap Atom
Firestorm
Nova(Ryder)
GLs(any and all)

Many others i can't be bothered to name....

And do you agree or disagree with the choices i named, or the distinctions between top tier and herald class, many of which overlap either category??

This thread was made, due to many people being disgruntled that their favorite chars weren't seen as herald class.

illadelph12
Hmm...

Well, when Superman was Blue Energy Supes, I would have considered him Herald class by these criteria. Regular Supes isn't 'Herald' class because he lacks the energy/matter manipulation aspect. I consider him in the "Majestic" class of hero, but I also use that distiction for Green Lantern who this poster considers "Herald" class. Supes and Lantern are in the same class, Lantern is simply vastly more versatile.

DigiMark007
How can an actual herald of Galactus not be considered "herald" class?? I'm looking at Terrax and Firelord specifically, though I'd consider most of those people 'herald'.

Further proof that KMC knows better. cool

UniOmni
I'd say that GL is in the top tier, as is Superman of course..But GL also is firmly in the herald class, which include those that can manipulate and draw on massive amounts of energy.

Superman has one degree, and is at the top of the class. GLs are in two fields of study.

rotiart
According to the other forum:

Herald
Silver Surfer
Firelord
Invisible Man
Red Shift
Nova
Airwalker
Morg
Terrax
Green Lantern
Captain Atom
Doctor Manhattan
Thor
Loki
green lantern
The fallen
terrax

Non heralds, but should be...
superman/sentry/majestic
quasar
adam warlock
drax
wonder woman
martian manhunter
flash
orion

xmarksthespot
The Engineer. happy

rotiart
How can you consider Terrax and Firelord NOT heralds. Just cause they don't often use the power cosmic doesn't mean they aren't.

Btw I want to add Doctor Manhattan to my list of Heralds. That guys uber. :P

draxx_tOfU
superman/sentry/majestic should definitely be herald level imo

im particularly curious about adam warlock and doctor strange..warlock for instance knows/can do all of doctor strange's spells, whereas doctor strange has some incredible feats..

please enlighten me

Validus
So it's just a versatility ranking? Do we really need a system to tell us Captain Atom is more versatile than Hulk?

UniOmni
Thats what i'm saying...For a long time, alot of people have used the term herald level(myself included) to allude to those who are above the top tier. But i was wrong...

The only diff is the energy sources and manipulation of it. Many heralds are barely top tier in showings....
All this thread was supposed to do, is get people to see that heralds aren't a class above. Just another group besides.

Thats why i say Majestic, Superman and the rest of the powerful, but limited flying bricks aren't herald class. They have distinct powersets that have limited applications.
Its not shortchanging them, since they could probably match/beat the pinnacle heralds.
Just trying to set more clear boundaries.

Validus
Well there seems to be a distinction between Herald Level and Herald Class. I consider herald level just another term for top tier heroes/villains such as Superman, Majestic, Green Lantern, Silver Surfer, Thor, etc. Herald class is just a versatility level.

UniOmni
Originally posted by Validus
Well there seems to be a distinction between Herald Level and Herald Class. I consider herald level just another term for top tier heroes/villains such as Superman, Majestic, Green Lantern, Silver Surfer, Thor, etc. Herald class is just a versatility level.

But thats exactly what i'm saying. Many think Terrax would lose 10/10 to Superman at his best. And he's a herald!!

Thats why i don't buy into herald class, since it implies a level of power above others. Terrax isn't top tier. Could, would and should, but ultimately, is not.

Herald class is simply a distinction of versatility....And sometimes, that versatility is trumped by the raw but limited(scope) power of the elite top tiers, such as Majestic and Superman.

Validus
I agree. The term and definition of herald level is a bit of BS because it implies all heralds are created equal which when comparing Silver Surfer and Nova, we can obviously see is a load of crap. I personally prefer the term 'top tier' with further distinctions such as 'elite top tier', 'normal top tier', and 'low top tier'.

rotiart
So what. Thats kinda like the difference that some people associate with cops and Green berets. Think about it. Most cops went through months of training, but after the training, spend the rest of their lives in cars, or offices. Green berets spend tons of months training, and then the rest of their terms of service either training or doing it. However a great cop, could, take down even a good green beret. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Ie. Hulk takes down Thor, but thor has so much more to offer. Still Hulk wallops on Thor in most meetings. Hulk has higher strength, HF, and probably even durability, Thor has cosmic powers to handle more situations. Hulk is only viable in some situations, but in those situations, he does exceptionally well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.