Theology in University

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
Has anyone done any theological studies in university?
And was it anything of interest.

I'm considering taking a course and am rather curious what it revolves around.
Is it a historical background dealing with things such as what is perceived to be the history of god and such, with events such as the fall of the angels or etc moving onto the history of Judaism and Christianity, or am I way off?

Imperial_Samura
It depends which particular religion/religions it deals with and the focus of it.

About a year ago I did a theology unit (as one of my electives) and it was a subject primarily geared towards the historiography of religion, and thus focused on historical texts and mythology, with a little investigation of modern religions as a result of influences with ancient ones - very much a "what lay in the formation of history and why did people think this way" kind of thing. Because religion has been very influential on history.

Of course that was just one unit, and a more history based one at that. An actual course in theology focusing in, say, Christianity, might be a look at the religion from the perspective of other disciplines such as history, philosophy, and/or anthropology styled around Christian traditions and thought. It would approach this from biblical studies, church history, systematic theology and Christian ethics.

That is my understanding of the way courses run at my university, the main theological ones being Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and then a looser selection of courses such as new age etc.

silver_tears
Did you enjoy it?

Imperial_Samura
I did, I like most humanities subjects, the lecturers were good, and whether one is religious of not generally it is quite a fascinating subject. There could be a fair bit of reading, but once again I enjoyed that to.

Regret
Originally posted by silver_tears

Is it a historical background dealing with things such as what is perceived to be the history of god and such, with events such as the fall of the angels or etc moving onto the history of Judaism and Christianity, or am I way off?

I attended a series on science and religion as an undergrad. We had a variety of guest speakers that would speak once a week. It was interesting.

To tell you the truth, imo theology is a religious study and unless it is a course on history or philosophy of theology it doesn't belong in a decent school.

I also am skeptical of any theologian that isn't atheist, they have a belief on God, I don't believe that this can allow a truly objective study of the subject.

Alliance

One of my freinds is. She is in India for the year studying Hinduism.

Theology involves more religious history and coparative theology. Of course they learn (often in detail) the mythological histories and aspects of a given religon, but its more about how religions fit into societies and how they interact with eachother.

It doesn't teach religion as fact, it treats them all equally. She studies atheism etc. But i think most majors have a high degree of spirituality (note this does not mean a religion).

Arcana
We don't have anything as deep as you guys talk about in High School. However, I did find the World Religions portion of my Global Studies class very interesting.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

Alliance
my old HS's world history class had a very good global religions section.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I did, I like most humanities subjects, the lecturers were good, and whether one is religious of not generally it is quite a fascinating subject. There could be a fair bit of reading, but once again I enjoyed that to.

I too enjoy the humanities, my schedule for first year is all humanities, but then again going into history allows a very open course schedule.

On the topic of religion in high school, we had an awesome grade 11 course on world religions, everything from Christianity, to Judaism, to Hinduism, to Scientology.
Although I must say the teacher pretty much sucked all the interesting right out of it, although I was still fascinated.

gordomuchacho
I too enjoy the humanities, my schedule for first year is all humanities, but then again going into history allows a very open course schedule.

On the topic of religion in high school, we had an awesome grade 11 course on world religions, everything from Christianity, to Judaism, to Hinduism, to Scientology.
Although I must say the teacher pretty much sucked all the interesting right out of it, although I was still fascinated.

What school are you going to?

I'm going up to Penn State in the fall

silver_tears
Guelph U, it's in Ontario

Bardock42
Guelph U, it's in Ontario

Really, did you know that there is a town in north Ontario, with dream comfort memory to spare?

Anyways... I think you should go for it and then tell us how it was ... so we can decide if it is worth a try...

silver_tears
Forgive me for being dense, but wth is dream comfort memory? blink

Bardock42
Forgive me for being dense, but wth is dream comfort memory? blink

I am not quite certain....but it is in North Ontario eek! ....and I'm sure it's a good thing.

Imperial_Samura
Thank goodness other people have already asked what dream comfort memory is. I was worried I might be ignorant of some every day thing.

Bardock42
Thank goodness other people have already asked what dream comfort memory is. I was worried I might be ignorant of some every day thing.

It seems you are...just not the "dream comfort memory" thing.

xmarksthespot
Dream... comfort... memory... blink

Bardock42
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Dream... comfort... memory... blink Yeah, I have a very vague idea..but it basically doesn't make much sense...it's still in North Ontario.

Imperial_Samura
Oh... I see. It is part of some lyrics.... though still not really sure on what it means. Silver_Tears can go to this town in North Ontario and see!

Bardock42
Oh... I see. It is part of some lyrics.... though still not really sure on what it means. Silver_Tears can go to this town in North Ontario and see!

Hardly...we don't know what town it is.

xmarksthespot
I'm guessing the least populous.. because logically they should have the most dream comfort memory to spare.

Bardock42
I'm guessing the least populous.. because logically they should have the most dream comfort memory to spare.

I can see the logic in that, except I don't.

xmarksthespot
Well you wouldn't now would you? You're sorely lacking in the dream comfort memory department.

Imperial_Samura
We all need a dream comfort memory upgrade, maybe to 400 GBs.

And I have faith in Silver_Tears investigative skills. That, and it is pretty distinctive. All that needs to be done is to go upto people in the street and ask them, with a furtive look, whether they know how to get to the spare dream comfort memory.

Bardock42
Well you wouldn't now would you? You're sorely lacking in the dream comfort memory department.

This is true.Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
We all need a dream comfort memory upgrade, maybe to 400 GBs.

And I have faith in Silver_Tears investigative skills. That, and it is pretty distinctive. All that needs to be done is to go upto people in the street and ask them, with a furtive look, whether they know how to get to the spare dream comfort memory.

She'll manage it.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hardly...we don't know what town it is.

You are useless to me.

Bardock42
You are useless to me.

We will see about that.

I might know who knows shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.