I have a question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LiL nAstY GirL
Ok, I finally saw this movie last night, and I have one question. Jack's compass points to what ever you want the most. When ever Jack looked at it, it kept changing. What was it pointing to? I know that one was The Dead Man's Chest, but the other(s)?

JohnnyBloom
well everything else he wants ... i suppose he wants the isla de muerte treasure back, and that's scattered all over the place, and theres probably millions of girls out there hes after, possibly elizabeth is one of them, who knows, random bits of treasure, or other priceless objects ... for now we're not meant to know - he's just a greedy pirate who wants more ...

might become more obvious later though!!

LiL nAstY GirL
Thanks.

I hope we do find out eventually

JohnnyBloom
no problem

if we don't then its not important, it just means that he's being a greedy pirate and wants more than he can have!!! big grin

jessigem
it kept moving because he didn't know what he wanted.
remember when tia dalma said "ohhhh, jack sparrow doesn't know what he wants!" and then jack said something that i can't remember.......anyways, yeah. that's why it kept moving. i think he was trying to decide between the chest and doing the right thing by helping will. maybe. or not.erm

DRAKONS
Cool i woud want a compas like that THAT WOUD ROCKpunk

Captain Kate
Originally posted by jessigem
it kept moving because he didn't know what he wanted.
remember when tia dalma said "ohhhh, jack sparrow doesn't know what he wants!" and then jack said something that i can't remember.......anyways, yeah. that's why it kept moving. i think he was trying to decide between the chest and doing the right thing by helping will. maybe. or not.erm

when tia dalma said that she also said something like he didn't want to admit to what it is that he wanted, if that makes sense. so maybe what he wanted was to do the right thing, and that's what the compass was pointing to.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
Ok, I finally saw this movie last night, and I have one question. Jack's compass points to what ever you want the most. When ever Jack looked at it, it kept changing. What was it pointing to? I know that one was The Dead Man's Chest, but the other(s)?

Even Tia said Jack didn't know what he wanted. Jack is sort of selfish like with the dirt.

Tia: Well if you don't want it give it back.

Jack: No. *Jack embaces the jar of dirt and holds on to it tightly*

LovelyOne
Might have been pointing to Liz' location as she was moving about. I say this becuase She's never there when he looks at it but when he finally DOES look at it and she is in close contact with him it points right at her..and suddenly "works for him" He thinks its the chest but if the compass wasn't showing him the chest throughout the entire movie then why did it suddenly do it right there? It was just pot luck she was sitting on it IMO. when Liz says "It doesn't show you what you want most" the camera didnt have to pan up to reveal Liz's face as Jack said "yes it does" if it was really pointing at the chest ....

LovelyOne
Also If what I say is true it would make sense of the fact the compass worked again for him whilst he was escaping on the small boat.

In my opinion, I think Jack would have gone back to save them anyway even if he didn't look at the compass. He has done the right thing before in the last movie based on his honest streak and he would have done it again here too.

The compass was possibly pointing at liz trapped on the pearl. Like I said before why would the compass work for him now and on the beach when through most of the film it "didnt work" for him?

And then the first person he see's as he gets back is Elizabeth, there is definatley a moment there between the two...It symbolizes a bond.

I dont think he has realised what his heart truly wants yet, either has liz..even will hasn't...We'll probably will see this later on in the films.

*-=Fat sacK=-*
Just a thought mabey the compass is pointing at the black pearl itself. Like when Jack is on the pearl and looks at the compass it goes all crazy since it can't point up or down directly at the pearl. That could also explain again why Jack returned to the Pearl when the kraken attacked.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by *-=Fat sacK=-*
Just a thought mabey the compass is pointing at the black pearl itself. Like when Jack is on the pearl and looks at the compass it goes all crazy since it can't point up or down directly at the pearl. That could also explain again why Jack returned to the Pearl when the kraken attacked.

When he is sitting in his cabin the compass goes crazy but it does settle north East. So I dunno if it really was the black pearl then it wouldnt have settled. He was pretty willing to leave it too until she chained him to the ship lol.

And the compass also worked for him on the beach, it pointed at Liz and not the pearl.

I say its liz and not the chest on the beach because the comapss "wasn't working" for him when looking for the chest throughout the movie and it suddenly did there which makes no sense unless it was really pointing at her.

He also seems to show more disregard to the pearl then in the previous movie. When Gibbs says "JACK the pearl?" when they are about to leave it.. Jack says "she's only a ship mate"

Perfect example of how all the characters main priorities are changing in this movie.

jessigem
THANK YOU. someone finally pointed out that at the end it could've been pointing to The Pearl. maybe all the other times it was pointing at liz, maybe not. but at the end, i think it was pointing to the pearl because he's the captain and he loved that boat. so maybe his heart was telling him to go down with the ship, like a true captain would. OR it could've been pointing to the whole crew because they had helped him so much and he didn't just want to let them die.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by LovelyOne
When he is sitting in his cabin the compass goes crazy but it does settle north East. So I dunno if it really was the black pearl then it wouldnt have settled. He was pretty willing to leave it too until she chained him to the ship lol.

And the compass also worked for him on the beach, it pointed at Liz and not the pearl.

I say its liz and not the chest on the beach because the comapss "wasn't working" for him when looking for the chest throughout the movie and it suddenly did there which makes no sense unless it was really pointing at her.

He also seems to show more disregard to the pearl then in the previous movie. When Gibbs says "JACK the pearl?" when they are about to leave it.. Jack says "she's only a ship mate"

Perfect example of how all the characters main priorities are changing in this movie.

Actually Jack was very sad when he said "she's only a ship, mate."

blackpearl44
^^ True, Jack still loves the Pearl.....however, he may be realizing that he loves something else a little more.........liz?......good possibility........

katelovespirate
hmmm i got the feeling that it was just Liz's prediction coming true. It was pointing back toward the action because he wanted to be a hero. He wanted to do the right thing.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by blackpearl44
^^ True, Jack still loves the Pearl.....however, he may be realizing that he loves something else a little more.........liz?......good possibility........

That or Jack just wants Elizabeth like every other woman in the world.

jessigem
laughing out loudlaughing out loudlaughing out loud

ESB -1138
Come on, he went with Tia that clearly says if it's a woman Jack wants it.

blackpearl44
But, we don't know wheather he went with Tia or not......and even if he did, it dosn't mean he wants every woman he sees.

katelovespirate
yeah i bet tia was hott in her better days. plus, she is mysterious and wise and gave jack some of his more valuble possessions like the compass. i bet they were just good friends. jack is pretty possessive about his friends.

ESB -1138
But, we don't know wheather he went with Tia or not......and even if he did, it dosn't mean he wants every woman he sees.

Will: You know me?
Tia: You want to know me?
Jack: There will be no knowing around here. I thought I knew you.

Jack sounded jealous.

blackpearl44
Yea, ^ but I don't think that was jealousy.....

ESB -1138
Jack wants everything. Look how much he wanted that jar of dirt and he didn't even know what good it was at first.

blackpearl44
Tia explained what it would help when she first gave it to him.....

ESB -1138
Jack: Does the jar of dirt help?
Tia: If you don't want it give it back.
*Jack holds the jar of dirt tightly*
Jack: No.
Tia: It helps.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Will: You know me?
Tia: You want to know me?
Jack: There will be no knowing around here. I thought I knew you.

Jack sounded jealous.

It was clearly a sexual suggestion she gav Will

I think he doesnt like the thought of Will challenging his position as Alpha male (stealing one of his many women). At this point I dont think Jack sees women as anything too serious to him...not until Liz comes along that is.

blackpearl44
^^Yea, good point

ESB -1138,

before that when she first gives it to him, she says (referring to Davy Jones) "he only to go on land but once a year" so DJ would apparently not want to go near the dirt.

katelovespirate
yeah jack is just possessive. plus, if he knows tia well, he probably sees her do this a lot. and he doesnt have time to watch her seduce will or whatever, he's got a flipping black spot on his hand, he needs help on the double.

blackpearl44
^^ Yes, exactly.

LovelyOne
Actually Jack was very sad when he said "she's only a ship, mate."

He was sad but it sounded as if he was ready to let it go..The fact he lost his hat and didnt care too much echoed what happened with the pearl..And why would his number one want during the film be a ship he already has?

and Tia said to him "jack does not know what he wants, i know more but you will want to claim it as your own" or something like that..He already owns the pearl..Liz he doesnt have....yet.

I also think Disney wouldnt make his number one love in his life his ship..Its an inanimate object..how boring is that?

Oh and another thing. Jack knew the Pearl was going to be destroyed by the kraken even after he had come back..thats why they all decided to leave it.

katelovespirate
well the pearl does symbolize freedom to Jack. the fact that he gives it up means that there are more important things to him now... even perhaps, more important than his freedom...

LovelyOne
That or Jack just wants Elizabeth like every other woman in the world.

At the end of the film Elizabeth became more than just the usual woman in his life..She became the one who finnaly beat him at his own game. That makes her different/significant to him compared with all the other women he has obviously screwed over. (slaps he gets) I'm guessing Jack admires Liz for that.

It could be why He admires Tia too. She seems to be one who can beat him in a battle of wits(hence no slap from her). Thats why he respects her..so Liz beating him means he has a new level of respect for her too.

Yeh exactly katelovespirate..if his main priority was the pearl/hat throughout all 3 films then that means his character is not developing and that would make the film so blooming boring.^^

blackpearl44
^^ Yes, good point, Jack has a new level of respect for Liz.

And I don't think more important than his freedom, because that's what Jack has that Liz craves.......I think the Peral is going to be ressurected in the next movie because at the end of this movie, remember Barbossa said "So what has become of my ship?" referring to the Pearl, which is really Jack's.....

LovelyOne
^^ Yes, good point, Jack has a new level of respect for Liz.

And I don't think more important than his freedom, because that's what Jack has that Liz craves.......I think the Peral is going to be ressurected in the next movie because at the end of this movie, remember Barbossa said "So what has become of my ship?" referring to the Pearl, which is really Jack's.....

Oh yeh true^^

but the fact jack decided to leave it meant that its not just about the ship now and his own selfish needs he's changing slightly.other people/things are becomeiong more important...

katelovespirate
totally.... i mean of course the pearl will always be important to jack, but he's grown. he puts the lives of his friends before the pearl. he could have asked them all to stay and try to fight again, but he gave the order to abandon ship.
as we know though, jack always has a plan for getting what he wants. nothing seems to scare him all that much. he just adapts well.
i can see Elizabeth going down a Tia road myself- becoming more like her, though hopefully not with the teeth./..

blackpearl44
Yea, his ultimate decision at the end of the second movie was, "Ok, Liz's life...or the pearl" because at that point, he could only save one, and he chose Liz's life over the Pearl, but if he can have both, he will definately have both......because he loves both.....he is discovering.....and I picture Liz going to Tia, sometime alone....for some advice or something.....

katelovespirate
yeah maybe tia will give liz a magical object (like jacks compass) that will help her understand what she really wants... JACK

blackpearl44
Maybe, though, she should not need anymore magical objects, outside of the compass, to tell her what she wants.......if she needs more than one magical object, to help he decide what she really wants....she has a problem.....but hey, I guess she could get some other thing to use, besides Jack's compass.

ESB -1138
^^Yea, good point

ESB -1138,

before that when she first gives it to him, she says (referring to Davy Jones) "he only to go on land but once a year" so DJ would apparently not want to go near the dirt.

That really makes no sense actually. Considering when he's on the sea Davy could just send the Kraken.

blackpearl44
^^ Yea, but she didn't say it would keep the Kracken away.....she said it would keep Davyj away.......and I messed up on that post, it every 10 years, not once a year.....

LovelyOne
That really makes no sense actually. Considering when he's on the sea Davy could just send the Kraken.

I have a feeling the jar of Dirt was like a bad luck charm Tia gave him. It seemed to cause a few problems.

LIke when he held it he fell down the stairs lol

Also if he didnt put the heart in the jar of dirt then norrington wouldnt have found it and taken it.

are there any other moments when the Jar of dirt causes problems or Jack? I cant think.

There is something really suspicious about Tia..I dont know what side she is on..

ESB -1138
^^ Yea, but she didn't say it would keep the Kracken away.....she said it would keep Davyj away.......and I messed up on that post, it every 10 years, not once a year.....

But it is said that Davy cannot be on land not around land.

blackpearl44
Yea, I have no idea whatsoever what Tia is trying to do, what her intentions are.

katelovespirate
yeah i agree tia is suspicious.... kinda cool, but still wierd. all of her friends seem to be these immortal cursed or almost inhuman things... maybe they have like, a league of extraordinary pirates and they just pass charms and powers around through their boats and jars and necklaces andstuff, hahahaha. i have heard some bizarre rumours about tia though

blackpearl44
Yea, I agree that jar of dirt could have been a bad luck charm......but I'm still not sure if it was, and if it wasn't, that what purpose did it serve, if not the one she explained.

katelovespirate
its interesting that even Jack has so much faith in Tia. Jack doesnt strike me as someone who is very supersticious. but he's always like "i want my jar of dirt" when he doesnt even know what it is, or how it helps, etc. He just knows Tia gave it to him, so it must help. I think Jack would know if Tia were evil, wouldnt he?

blackpearl44
^^ I agree, Jack dosn't put faith in people unless he really knows what they're about...

ESB -1138
Yea, I have no idea whatsoever what Tia is trying to do, what her intentions are.

I think she was trying to ease Jack's suffering a bit. You know make him calm down and stuff.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by katelovespirate
yeah i agree tia is suspicious.... kinda cool, but still wierd. all of her friends seem to be these immortal cursed or almost inhuman things... maybe they have like, a league of extraordinary pirates and they just pass charms and powers around through their boats and jars and necklaces andstuff, hahahaha. i have heard some bizarre rumours about tia though

hmm thats true about how all the men seem to be resurected, heartless and cursed... that cant be good news because she has shown an interest in Will sad

I dont know if he knows she's evil..afterall she had a jack voodoo doll there.

I would say jack was supersticious..after a whole load of undead people came after him in the last movie..I think he believes in the supernatural.

Also I wonder if the ring he stole means anything..why would they just randomly show him steal it if it wasn't important to the story?

katelovespirate
yeah that makes sense. like the placebo effect.
okay, totally off topic, but the way Tia inspects Jack's hand is HOTT> you sort of expect her to grab it and roll her eyes or something. but she is very sensual and gentle. smile no wonder jack trusts her.

LovelyOne
yeah that makes sense. like the placebo effect.
okay, totally off topic, but the way Tia inspects Jack's hand is HOTT> you sort of expect her to grab it and roll her eyes or something. but she is very sensual and gentle. smile no wonder jack trusts her.

then why have a Jack voodoo doll? lol She must be planning on hurting him in some way. I think he trusts her a bit too much and doesn't know what her intensions are. She may have once helped him and trustworthy but she could have changed... who knows who she's been speaking to? EITC maybe?

katelovespirate
hmmm i dont know. maybe she just likes to remind jack that she Could hurt him, but wont unless he provokes her.
i still cant find the flipping voodoo doll when i watch it.

LovelyOne
I think she was trying to ease Jack's suffering a bit. You know make him calm down and stuff.

The Jar of dirt caused a few troubles for him though. He randomly fell down the stairs whilst holding it. and It also lead to norrington finding the heart. If he didnt have the jar of dirt then he wouldnt have put it inside it and he would have still had the heart on him.

Did Tia know this? She seems to see the future..

And a voodoo doll isnt designed to control someone its designed to physically cause them agony.

katelovespirate
i think the fall was just jack being goofy. as far as the heart goes, maybe she didnt want jack to have it afterall. i mean, if she was davy's love, would she really want jack to kill him>?

blackpearl44
the falling down the stairs thing could have been because he was singing about a jar of dirt and not watching where he was going, and/or he was drinking (I know, that would be a HUGE suprise lol) or it could be the work of dark magic.......so it could just be him being clumsy, or supernatural power lol.

katelovespirate
i'm going with the goofy/slightly drunk theory. hehehe. it seems to fit with the tone of the movie better. makes it funny.

LovelyOne
the falling down the stairs thing could have been because he was singing about a jar of dirt and not watching where he was going, and/or he was drinking (I know, that would be a HUGE suprise lol) or it could be the work of dark magic.......so it could just be him being clumsy, or supernatural power lol.

Thing is i cant imagine Disney putting in pointless humor, If there was no meaning behind it.. Its funny how as soon as he picks it up that happens to him...If he wasn't singing about a jar of dirt in the first place he wouldn't have fallen lol. If he didn't have the jar of dirt then Norrington wouldn't have found the heart and given it to th EITC.

I'm sure there might be something else with the dirt. I'm gonna look.

ANd after he fell he's like "I got it" and the first shot you see is the jar..subliminal message maybe? That its the Jar that just made him fall....plus his clumsiness..lol

blackpearl44
Clumsyness/slightly drunk lol.

LovelyOne
Or maybe it was to make the audience think "yeah its just Jacks clumsiness" to throw you off the scent a bit that the jar is iffy.

katelovespirate
well luckily the jar is broken and underwater now, lol.

blackpearl44
Or is it? lol...........the pearl is obviously going to be ressurected in the third movie, probably by Barbossa.

katelovespirate
awe yay. i really love the pearl. smile it is a nice ship.
as usual off topic, but I HEART GIBBS>

blackpearl44
Gibbs is pretty cool. smile

LovelyOne
OHH if it is resurected then I want to know what Liz makes of it when they sail to the place where its underwater..She will probably be finding it a little hard to hide her feelings.

blackpearl44
Yea, and I bet she is going to feel realy guilty the first time she sees Jack in the next movie, and she is going to feel like she needs to make it up to him or something, even if he is not mad at her (which I don't think he will be) because she almost killed him.

LovelyOne
Yea, and I bet she is going to feel realy guilty the first time she sees Jack in the next movie, and she is going to feel like she needs to make it up to him or something, even if he is not mad at her (which I don't think he will be) because she almost killed him.

Yeh I agree..He's probably going to tease her with it. "I got you to come over to my side nah nah nah nah nah!"

LovelyOne
She's always going to feel like jack has something she doesn't. I wonder if she will be yearning for some sort of forgiveness just to cleanse her soul a bit..Jack will just be like..dont worry I'm fine..but I dont think that will be enough its not going to make her feel any better..I wonder what that could lead to. lol

blackpearl44
^^ lol I don't think it will be quite like that......but maybe something like that.

katelovespirate
the only thing for her to do is to make love to him on the spot. that will clear everything up.

LovelyOne
ye maybe not..my brain is turning to stodge trying to figure out what happens next lol.

and yeh I agree Katelovespirate laughing out loud

Thats what i was kinda leaning towards.

katelovespirate
here's some thoughts...
IMO Jack will be a bit perturbed, and want a bit of revenge, even though i think he overall admires the action Liz took.... i reckon he will do something of a similar nature to her, leave her in the lurch to fend for herself. then she will make him jealous with Will to get even, then Jack will just laugh at her, and she will realize the only way to beat him is to be with him.

LovelyOne
here's some thoughts...
IMO Jack will be a bit perturbed, and want a bit of revenge, even though i think he overall admires the action Liz took.... i reckon he will do something of a similar nature to her, leave her in the lurch to fend for herself. then she will make him jealous with Will to get even, then Jack will just laugh at her, and she will realize the only way to beat him is to be with him.

I agree I think he might gt her back a little bit by doing something. But i bet she will love it deep down..It means he thinks she can handle things on her own..he gives her more of a sense of freedom.

But i think thats gonna make her come back and have a big argument with Jack..then onto some much needed lovin!

I can see her kinda trying to make Jack jealous..but Will would probably pick up on that.

blackpearl44
^^ Yea, Will is smart........but Jack is smarter.........

katelovespirate
nah will will be too busy saving his annoying doomed daddy.

As you said, onto the much-needed lovin. smile YAY! smile i'm picturing a massive argument where suddenly they are both like, uh, you're really hott when you are mad... lets just kiss and make out, er, i mean, kiss and make up...

blackpearl44
^^Haha yes, and Jack is going to make sure liz is will be the first one to break.....so liz, again, feels like "if I want him.....I have to work for it" kinda thing lol.

katelovespirate
LSHIMP.... basically, HAHAHHA. totally. oh Jack. smile wow i am rambling a lot today i should just shut up since i cant say anything intelligent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.