Lord Cutler Beckett

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Escape81
Any thoughts on this one eeevil scumbag?

LovelyOne
He is a short man..and short men usually hate the world..

Swirly Girl
Davy Jones owns him! Yarrgh!

blackpearl44
Originally posted by LovelyOne
He is a short man..and short men usually hate the world..

LOL!!

katelovespirate
yeah agreed about that short man thing. IMO he is a eunuch. hehehe. he's a creepy scumbag that Liz should have shot when she had the chance.

Escape81
Originally posted by katelovespirate
yeah agreed about that short man thing. IMO he is a eunuch. hehehe. he's a creepy scumbag that Liz should have shot when she had the chance.

I actually like his character...

Think about it: he could potentially cause more problems than anyone. He's now in control of the heart of Davy Jones, which means he can hypothetically control the seas.

To top it off, he has the power and naval fleet of the East India Trading Company.

What I especially like about the character is that he is not a coward, and has no problem facing a dangerous Elizabeth at gun point. He maintained a calm, threatening edge.

Tom Hollander did an uber job.

But Bill Nighy is forevermore the god of villains...

katelovespirate
eh i dont know... the actor did a fantastic job, i agree, but i dont think this character is brave. I think he is just incredibly cynical. he has no regard for human life. nothing is personal to him, its just his job, its just getting what he's after. he doesnt know Will or Elizabeth, or Norrington for that matter, and he has no qualms about interrupting a wedding to lock them up. hehe actually its probably a good thing the wedding didn't happen.

as for the navy power, they were supposedly hot on the trail of the pearl in the 2nd film, and he used that knowledge to blackmail Gov. Swann. But we never saw them, the ships all returned, and no harm was done to the pearl. Hence, the navy isnt all that powerful- not yet anyway. in the next one it probably will be.

His line "Everyman has a price he will willingly pay, even for what he hoped never to sell" i think does some serious foreshadowing on the 3rd film....

LovelyOne
As mentioned by Lovethemtigers

He also sees right through Liz. He suggests to her that she's stealing the letters for Jack and she's like "NO NOT FOR JACK FOR WILL" basically over reacting at the suggestion. He smiles as if he's thinking "oh wake up and smell the coffee!"

He also seems to hint that Liz's robbed wedding is actually fate intervening..(he knows about davy Jones remember) and there is a massive hint in this movie that Will is going to have a similar destiny.

katelovespirate
maybe beckett and Jack have a secret alliance, Jack hired Beckett to break up the wedding and send Will off on a stupid mission, while Jack waited for Liz to show up in Tortuga, which of course she would, because of the letters of Marque.

hahahaha yeah crazy theories are fun. smile

blackpearl44
^^ That would be a shocker.....

Escape81
I disagree.

Beckett didn't have any problem facing Elizabeth - who is notorious for her split-second antics and occasional irrational behavior - after robbing her of her "wedding night", imprisoning her, and blackmailing her fiancee into embarking on a ridiculously dangerous mission.

She was even armed, and he dared to taunt her - and even threaten her with the fact that he would "still want that compass", implying he would stop at nothing to achieve it.

They were? I was under the impression that that was just Norrington and his men, and not the East India Trading Company. Furthermore, in the beginning, we see dozens upon dozens of soldiers leaving ships and putting Port Royal under the East India Trading Company's control.

Indeed. Some believe that the mark Jack "left on" Beckett was making him a eunuch.

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by Escape81
Any thoughts on this one eeevil scumbag?

I've been racking my brains, pondering, spending sleepless nights trying to figure out how Lord Beckett figures into the plot for Pirates 3 - there are many unresolved issues in Pirates 2. What kind of brand did Jack leave on Cutler Beckett? In what way will Lord Beckett control everyone's destiny by being in possession of the Davy Jones' thump, thump? Why did Liz really chain Jack to the mast? Remember Gov. Swann agrees to give into Lord Beckett's command to save Elizabeth, what role will he play?

And by the way....this is totally off subject, but what about James Norrington. He has tunred into a Pirate. In the first movie Norrington is an upstanding, generally nice guy with high moral standards. He in fact tells Jack that "I serve others." But in Pirates 2 - he takes on more and more Pirate characteristics - and ultimately he outfoxes Jack and Will by running off with the heart and the letter of mark. Norrington is out for himself in this one, just like Jack. Who knows maybe Elizabeth will go back with Norrington, since she is so attracted to Pirates.....Nay, just kidding.....

lovethemtigers
As mentioned by Lovethemtigers

He also sees right through Liz. He suggests to her that she's stealing the letters for Jack and she's like "NO NOT FOR JACK FOR WILL" basically over reacting at the suggestion. He smiles as if he's thinking "oh wake up and smell the coffee!"

He also seems to hint that Liz's robbed wedding is actually fate intervening..(he knows about davy Jones remember) and there is a massive hint in this movie that Will is going to have a similar destiny.

Well, I took the fate intervening statement to mean that it's not her destiny to marry Will. Cuz right after he says...a marriage interupted, (he pauses) or perhaps it's fate intervening, you seem to be going through an awful lot of trouble to ensure Jack Sparrow's freedom"....he is suggesting to her that he has actually saved her from making a mistake and marrying the wrong man....Uhmmmmm

Escape81
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
I've been racking my brains, pondering, spending sleepless nights trying to figure out how Lord Beckett figures into the plot for Pirates 3 - there are many unresolved issues in Pirates 2. What kind of brand did Jack leave on Cutler Beckett? In what way will Lord Beckett control everyone's destiny by being in possession of the Davy Jones' thump, thump? Why did Liz really chain Jack to the mast? Remember Gov. Swann agrees to give into Lord Beckett's command to save Elizabeth, what role will he play?

And by the way....this is totally off subject, but what about James Norrington. He has tunred into a Pirate. In the first movie Norrington is an upstanding, generally nice guy with high moral standards. He in fact tells Jack that "I serve others." But in Pirates 2 - he takes on more and more Pirate characteristics - and ultimately he outfoxes Jack and Will by running off with the heart and the letter of mark. Norrington is out for himself in this one, just like Jack. Who knows maybe Elizabeth will go back with Norrington, since she is so attracted to Pirates.....Nay, just kidding.....

Personally? I think that Cutler will do what he planned to do with the heart. Remember what Gibbs said. If the East India Trading Company controls the heart, then they control the seas - and that spells doom for everyone who is a pirate.

I assume Beckett will amass a fleet to begin to destroy piracy forever.

lady_captinjack
NOOOO way, that would be awful

LovelyOne
Well, I took the fate intervening statement to mean that it's not her destiny to marry Will. Cuz right after he says...a marriage interupted, (he pauses) or perhaps it's fate intervening, you seem to be going through an awful lot of trouble to ensure Jack Sparrow's freedom"....he is suggesting to her that he has actually saved her from making a mistake and marrying the wrong man....Uhmmmmm

Oh right..I must have got excited and read it wrong earlier lol. But yeh to me its just another clue that Will wont end up with Liz..so thats good. Not because of the Jack/Liz thing..but because its just sooo "been there..done that"

evilm0nki3
I like Beckett. He is so evil looking...and short...I can't wait to see what he's gonna be doing in the next one...

Oh, and that mark Jack left on him..ahhh. I can't wait...

katelovespirate
well gee if our theories are correct i hope they dont actually SHOW the mark.... sick

yeah beckett is a cool bad guy cause he is so like, calm. its wierd. i think he has a crush on lizzie, IMO... along with everyone else in the movie....

and speaking of ugly hair....

thesithlord3
i dont get it. so if he has the heart, he controls davy jones himself and his crew and all that shit? and they say whoever has the heart controls the SEA, but does that mean the whole damn OCEAN?

katelovespirate
gosh i dont know. we have to take this a step at a time. first of all, the kraken may or may not still be alive, depending on Jack.... smile

then, Beckett has to FIND Jones and explain to him he has his heart, and they have to barter. but there is a chance it wont make any difference, because Jones wont care if he lives or dies anymore.

then, would Jones really take out ALL the pirates? seriously. even though he is evil, he is a pirate himself.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Swirly Girl
Davy Jones owns him! Yarrgh!

Actually Beckett owns Davy Jones. And I actually mean own.

LovelyOne
by having his heart^^ yes big grin he controls Jones now.

lovethemtigers
by having his heart^^ yes big grin he controls Jones now.

Ah and remember Cutler Beckett seems to have an unsettled past with our beloved Pirate, Captian Jack Sparrow. And not a very fond past - one full of hatred.....So things don't bode well for Captain Sparrow. I think that is going to play an interesting part in POTC 3's plot - just what did happen between Lord Bennett and Jack Sparrow - do you think they are brothers who went sour over being in love with the same woman - or not brothers - just sworn enemies - over who knows what but I'm sure it will be intriguing. Can't wait to see what the great mystery will be....It's just so great how Captain Jack has affected so many lives - so many people are after him - for so many different reasons. Gosh that man can get under your skin.....LOL

blackpearl44
^^ Yea......more of those people will be coming intp the picture in the next movie...........

ESB -1138
Ah and remember Cutler Beckett seems to have an unsettled past with our beloved Pirate, Captian Jack Sparrow. And not a very fond past - one full of hatred.....So things don't bode well for Captain Sparrow. I think that is going to play an interesting part in POTC 3's plot - just what did happen between Lord Bennett and Jack Sparrow - do you think they are brothers who went sour over being in love with the same woman - or not brothers - just sworn enemies - over who knows what but I'm sure it will be intriguing. Can't wait to see what the great mystery will be....It's just so great how Captain Jack has affected so many lives - so many people are after him - for so many different reasons. Gosh that man can get under your skin.....LOL

Umm the movie explained that already when Beckett held up that "P" and then you hear him say that each one has left his mark over the next. What happened was Jack use to work for the East India Trading Company and when he had to shift over slaves he refused so Beckett marked Jack with a P meaning Pirate and Jack did the same.

katelovespirate
Jack is so hott. Of course he WOULD refuse to carry slaves. that is so hott.

Beckett was also the one who originally sank Jack's ship, and then Davy brought it back for him 13 years ago, which probably puts Jack at 35 years old or under, if he was ayoung captain when he first turned pirate.

This also somewhat explains why Jack starts freaking out when he sees the EITC articles in the native hut---- he didnt know Will was working for them at the time--- and that would have brought back unpleasent memories.

If Jack carried such a grudge against Barbossa, we can guess he will have hatred of a similar kind for Beckett. And Beckett will hopefully go down by Jack's hand.

Escape81
Originally posted by thesithlord3
i dont get it. so if he has the heart, he controls davy jones himself and his crew and all that shit? and they say whoever has the heart controls the SEA, but does that mean the whole damn OCEAN?

It's essentially this.

Davy Jones acts as the dominant force in the water, due to the superhuman biology of him and his crew, his unrivaled stealth, and - most importantly - the Kraken.

When they say that if Beckett controls the seas if he controls the heart, it simply means that he is in control of the most powerful force in the sea - which isn't exactly absolute control. But that'd be enough power that most - if not all - people couldn't compete with.

ESB -1138
I doubt anything would be able to defeat Davy Jones in a fight. We saw three ships already get whipped out by the Kraken with ease on the first two. The third was because Will knew what was about to happen and yet they still failed.

Davy Jones and his crew are the strongest forces in the seven seas.

katelovespirate
its true... but unlike the EITC, they have some obvious weaknesses.

their power depends soley on the kraken. if someone could do that in, there goes their big guns.

davy's heart is in a precarious situation. lose the heart, and who knows what will happen.

with the EITC, i cant think of any obvious weaknesses they have.

Escape81
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I doubt anything would be able to defeat Davy Jones in a fight. We saw three ships already get whipped out by the Kraken with ease on the first two. The third was because Will knew what was about to happen and yet they still failed.

Davy Jones and his crew are the strongest forces in the seven seas.

ESB, if I had to relate - it's kind've like the Empire. Emperor Palpatine didn't completely control the entire galaxy, but was - by far the dominant force - and thus reigned over it. But as with the Rebels, we've seen people evade Davy Jones, if only for a while.

willofthewisp
My prediction about the mark left on Beckett was simply that Jack got under his skin. It's almost like Jack is the one man Beckett can't catch or control and that's left a mark of obsession on him. He's willing to do anything to see Jack suffer, and he finds an excellent way to do it: take his compass so Jack will never find what it is he wants and will probably be captured or taken to Davy Jones, and at the same time become master and commander of the whole ocean.

"Everyman has a price he will willingly pay, even for what he hoped never to sell"

I think this could be the theme for the whole movie. Consider who all it applies to:
Will: Will sold his respectability in the first film and compromised his morals to save Liz.

Jack: Jack essentially gave up the Pearl. I think he planned on leaving until Liz changed his mind for him. Some would argue (myself included) that he's given up his heart, too.

Liz: In the first movie, I think she fantasized about being a pirate, but I don't think she ever really thought she'd be one. Now she's out there doing these pirate things and pretty much sends Jack to his death. No matter how she feels about him, I can guarrantee her feelings for Jack are stronger than Will's feelings for him and she never thought she'd do something like that to him.

Norrington: He's willing to pay the price of being a pirate and serving his enemy (Jack) to get his job back.

Governor Swann: He's now Beckett's b**** and will pay whatever he can to make sure Liz is safe.

Davy: I bet this applies directly to him in some way, whether with the story of his Calypso or the Flying Dutchman, whatever. I think he'll fit this the strongest.

Just look at the end! Tia asks them all how willing they are to go to the ends of the earth to find Jack. At that point, I think most of them would sell just about anything to get him back.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.