Why always have a Pope?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jollyjim311
If no one is fit to serve as Pope, why have one? Why give all the churches power to some random elected official with a funny hat? I mean, in the Middle Ages, Popes were selling indulgences, starting wars, and having sex. Isn't that like saying, "Hey God needs your money, is willing to kill you for it, and wants to fu*k you."

Oh well, the Christians will never learn from their mistakes, just goes to show you.

Sorry if this is a bad topic, but, I'm uninspired to write any more.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by jollyjim311
If no one is fit to serve as Pope, why have one? Why give all the churches power to some random elected official with a funny hat? I mean, in the Middle Ages, Popes were selling indulgences, starting wars, and having sex. Isn't that like saying, "Hey God needs your money, is willing to kill you for it, and wants to fu*k you."

Oh well, the Christians will never learn from their mistakes, just goes to show you.

Sorry if this is a bad topic, but, I'm uninspired to write any more.

What is a pope? laughing

leonheartmm
pope=right pierced testicle of satan

Storm
In Catholicism, the Pope has a very important role, and has many responsibilities and obligations.

Alliance
The pope is there because the church needs structure. Without the beuracracy, they lose contol, the church loses power. It need a head, and it needs "divine" inspiration. How else do you intened to keep the locals in line.

Storm
A few tasks of the Pope include:
Talks with political and global leaders worldwide.
Appoints Cardinals and Bishops.
Bishop of the Archdiocese of Rome.
Educates people about Catholicism where he goes.
Presides during the beatification and canonization of saints.
Writes documentation about Catholic' s official position on issues.

JaehSkywalker
good question. i don't reall know why catholics do... erm

read storm's post.

still... why? i don't really get the point...

Eis
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker

read storm's post.

Catholicism is an organized religion, there needs to be a head of the church, someone catholics can look up to and have faith in. Catholics need someone to decide what position they should have in political issues for them.

It's a rather silly question, just think about it the vatican is like a government, there can't be anarchy, catholicism would break into a million new branches.

Storm
Early Christians differed widely. The only way to maintain a certain uniformity was to have a standard interpretation of Christian doctrine, which required an organization with a head of state for such organization. The Catholic Church needs a hierarchy because religious teaching is done through church tradition.

And the pope' s position is not open to debate or dispute within the Roman Catholic Church.

Imperial_Samura
Storm is right, as are the others. The Catholic Church is an organisation much like a cooperate entity or a government. The Pope serves as a figure head, a unified front as well as holding a fair deal of power when it comes to Catholic doctrine, Church organisation, and symbolic/political matters.

As to the question of what happens if there is only unsuitable people available? I don't think that happens any more - to get to the level were a person could stand for the highest papal position is not easy, and usually takes a life times work. If you are able to stand for Pope it is likely you are fully in line with the Church, and probably don't have to many serious skeletons in the closet - and if you do they can be hidden. Then there is still the democratic aspect - a person still needs to be elected.

The Church is far from perfect, but the excesses it showed in the past have mostly been curtailed in the modern world, and most of the Popes of recent times are far removed from some of those that held sway in the past.

debbiejo
Pope = talks for god on earth= speaks to the people = people obey= pope gets their money and control.........a new form of government......... control = protest follows = get money also.....Equalls mindless control...

gordomuchacho
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker

read storm's post.

Hes there to change doctrine, and be the leader of the church. Things change over time so hes there to make changes to doctrine to suit the time period. For instance, masses used to be almost enitrely done in latin, that has changed since the 1960's by the pope because most of our followers do not speak latin. Tradition plays a major role, but it does not mean that it can't be changed as some people believe. Since we do not believe in prophetic ablities in this current age, we have the freedom to worship god according to the churchs way of practicing. Peter was supposedly given the power through Jesus to have the authority on earth and was given the authority to pass his power on. So the pope is pretty much just the authority passed on from generation to generation since Peter, our first pope.

JaehSkywalker
oookkkkayyyy...

I got it now... yes

thanks... happy

Regret
This is my paraphrasing. I read somewhere that the pope reinterprets the Gospel. That when he finally gets it right the second coming/rapture will occur.

I don't have the reference, but it was on the Vatican site somewhere.

Speaking of which it is an excellent place to study the Catholic religion.

Vatican: the Holy See

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.