Fair?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
I often see statements along the lines "that's not fair" in reference to another person's belief. IMO it would be unfair if everyone went to the same place (i.e. heaven/hell) regardless of behavior.

Also, what in life has shown to be "fair"? I tell my kids to get used to it because life isn't fair. Why would eternity be any different?

My question is this, are fair and just similar terms in these statements? If so, then I think that fair is an improper term to be using, and is misunderstood by those using this type of reasoning. Also, I think fair is a stupid assumption given that life is not so.

Nellinator
Life is not fair, this is true.
God judges fairly because of this. He has given us the rules and guidlines regulations and we must follow them. If we do not follow the guidelines we will break the rules. And if we break the rules it is fair that we are penalized for our mistakes. Just like a team sport. Consequences are fair whether or not you agree with the criteria.
Also, we must strive to be fair even if life is not fair to us.

Regret
Originally posted by Nellinator
Life is not fair, this is true.
God judges fairly because of this. He has given us the rules and guidlines regulations and we must follow them. If we do not follow the guidelines we will break the rules. And if we break the rules it is fair that we are penalized for our mistakes. Just like a team sport. Consequences are fair whether or not you agree with the criteria.
Also, we must strive to be fair even if life is not fair to us.

I think we must strive to be just. God judges justly, not fairly.

Shakyamunison
Fair = Selfishness. What is right for me.
Just = Outwardness. What is right for every one.

I am sorry to say this, but what is just, may not be fair to you.

Regret
I agree Shaky. By your belief's, are men rewarded, or whatever an equivalent term would be, justly or fairly?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
I agree Shaky. By your belief's, are men rewarded, or whatever an equivalent term would be, justly or fairly?

There is what is called the Karmic choice. All things in life strive to find balance. When you go against the Karmic choice (or the will of God) then the universe will seek to find balance, and that might not be good for you.

Eis
I often see statements along the lines "that's not fair" in reference to another person's belief. IMO it would be unfair if everyone went to the same place (i.e. heaven/hell) regardless of behavior.

Also, what in life has shown to be "fair"? I tell my kids to get used to it because life isn't fair. Why would eternity be any different?

My question is this, are fair and just similar terms in these statements? If so, then I think that fair is an improper term to be using, and is misunderstood by those using this type of reasoning. Also, I think fair is a stupid assumption given that life is not so.
The problem is that what for you might be excellent and merciful behaviour for others might be bigoted and evil.

Hitler thought he was doing what was best for the world.

Regret
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
There is what is called the Karmic choice. All things in life strive to find balance. When you go against the Karmic choice (or the will of God) then the universe will seek to find balance, and that might not be good for you.

So justice then?

Shakyamunison
So justice then?

Justice isn't fair. cool The name of a song I wrong years ago.

Regret
then you and I are in agreement there smile

Shakyamunison
Justice isn't fair. cool The name of a song I wrote years ago.

embarrasment Typos are a b*tch, expressly then they are not typos. laughing out loud

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
The problem is that what for you might be excellent and merciful behaviour for others might be bigoted and evil.

Hitler thought he was doing what was best for the world.

I am referring to judgement by God mainly. I don't believe that man has often throughout history been capable of making judgements that are totally correct and just.

I also do not consider merciful and excellent behavior to be capable of overturning justice. In my belief, Jesus died to satisfy the demands of Justice because God is merciful. I do not believe that God the Father and Christ are one and the same. Because he was punished being innocent, justice is served for the sin that is committed.

Sorry for the delay in response Eis, I did not see your post somehow

Eis
I am referring to judgement by God mainly. I don't believe that man has often throughout history been capable of making judgements that are totally correct and just.

I also do not consider merciful and excellent behavior to be capable of overturning justice. In my belief, Jesus died to satisfy the demands of Justice because God is merciful. I do not believe that God the Father and Christ are one and the same. Because he was punished being innocent, justice is served for the sin that is committed.

Sorry for the delay in response Eis, I did not see your post somehow
Hmm... Well I suppose for Christians it's a simpler thing to discuss... You already have absolute guidelines of what is good and bad.

debbiejo
There is what is called the Karmic choice. All things in life strive to find balance. When you go against the Karmic choice (or the will of God) then the universe will seek to find balance, and that might not be good for you. It's also called cause and effect.........It's how all things work... wink

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
Hmm... Well I suppose for Christians it's a simpler thing to discuss... You already have absolute guidelines of what is good and bad.

I am not speaking about good and bad, only justice vs. fairness. I disagree with fairness, I think justice is how existence works. Cause and effect. If something happens, there is an effect. There is no getting around some effect.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
It's also called cause and effect.........It's how all things work... wink

Karmic choice is different then cause and effect. If cause and effect were a river, Karmic choice would be the direction of the river.

Eis
I am not speaking about good and bad, only justice vs. fairness. I disagree with fairness, I think justice is how existence works. Cause and effect. If something happens, there is an effect. There is no getting around some effect.
Justice is closely linked to good/bad and equally subjective. You as a christian may think it's just for a woman to be stoned to death outside of the city if she was involved in a sexual extramarital activity, afterall it's just justice being served. But for some people that may be considered a horrendous, atrocious act.

So basically nothing we do is just, it's just considered just by people.

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
Justice is closely linked to good/bad and equally subjective. You as a christian may think it's just for a woman to be stoned to death outside of the city if she was involved in a sexual extramarital activity, afterall it's just justice being served. But for some people that may be considered a horrendous, atrocious act.

So basically nothing we do is just, it's just considered just by people.

Yes, but whether or not the interpretation is correct, I believe that justice is the method, not fairness.

debbiejo
Karmic choice is different then cause and effect. If cause and effect were a river, Karmic choice would be the direction of the river. Explain further.... confused

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Explain further.... confused

At any point in time all cause and effect are interacting to create a greater cause and effect. If karma was air, then karmic choice would be the wind, or the over all direction that all of the air is going; kind of like a trend. This effect has been measured by science: random generators that create number strings of 0 or 1 should fall on a bell curve, like flipping a coin, however, if you run enough of these machines over enough time, the result will show intermittent spikes. It has been found that these spikes occur during historical events like 9-11.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.