Is it possible to use both sidesof the Force?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Kreiger
I know you can in Jedi Outcast/Jedi Acdemy/Kotor etc, but I don't know if that counts.

Someone who uses both sides would kick a** in battle, use Dark Side attacks, and then Heal/Shield

Darth Sexy
It's called a shadow Jedi, although I don't know how canon they are.

Sith'ari
Many force users do, Mace Windu occasionally uses dark side attacks.

Bespin Bart
According to George Lucas, that idea is just stupid.

Once you use the Dark Side, you don't go back. Anakin was the only case that proved this wrong (outside of EU, of course).

EU just takes a shit all over it, though. Kyle Katarn should be the most powerful Dark Jedi at the moment, due to the fact that he uses freaking Lightning in JO.

I think the Grey Jedi have occured in Star Wars EU, but I refuse to acknowledge it.

Blaxican Hydra
Bespin is correct.

You cannot dawdle in both sides. Using attcks is a bit differant from immersing yourself in it though.

But if you're a Jedi using lightning, than your not really a Jedi anymore.

Infinity
well actually.. i think that u can, mace used form 7, vapaad he battled with anger. he used the dark side. but not enuff to defect.. just to be canon. in ep3 against sids he was batting with all his anger and rage and u saw it.

Blaxican Hydra
Shatterpoint described it well.

Mace used his anger to his advantage, but he never actually went far enough into it to become "one" with the darkside, in a sense.

Darth Kreiger
Well I read Dooku's thing on Wookie, and it said he attempted to do this, but he just went further to the Dark Side

Rampant ox
I would say that Dooku is one of the closest people to do both. He has extensiv knowledge in both sides but I dont know if he is able to use both at once. That would require one to use both his anger and hatred along with peacefull intenetions at the same time and that will not work. Its either one way or the other.

Infinity
lol true.. u really love dooku huh ?

Darth Kreiger
Infinity, you use the Internet term "Lol" way too much

overlord
Actually everyone uses it too much as if they are really laughing like idiots behind their monitors. But whatever..

Ushgarak
Re: Mace.

There is a difference between having emotions and letting them rule you. Jedi aren't robots- they still have anger and fear and so on. But they are the masters of their emotions, not the reverse.

felix111
i think you can be a blend of both because you could be morally right, like not murdering people and fighting evil etc but use the darkside to fight evil if you see my point you NEED the darkside to survive and the light side to keep a balance and prevent evil overwhelming good, well thats how i see it anyway

Ushgarak
Err, no, the Dark Side IS evil. To use it is to create that imbalance.

Infinity
it is not possible. only for mace, luke, revan of all that i know..

Sith Lord Windu
it could potentially be possible, using both sides of the force is a contradiction in itself, turning away from both ideologies of the jedi and sith may have the effect of letting the user wield both sides (if thier will is strong enough then they may be able to control boh sides but its unlikely, grey jedi have been heard of though and i belive of thier existance.

General Kaliero
Personally, I want to believe that there's a way to be a Darkie without being downright evil, because in realistic applications good and evil are simply words. A person doesn't really call something he wants to do evil, or else he wouldn't want to do it (mentally imbalanced individuals excluded).

There could be the possibility of achieving a point in between the two, but the "Jedi" in that position would need to control the Force better than every other Jedi or Sith in history could.

exanda kane
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Personally, I want to believe that there's a way to be a Darkie without being downright evil, because in realistic applications good and evil are simply words. A person doesn't really call something he wants to do evil, or else he wouldn't want to do it (mentally imbalanced individuals excluded).

Oh finally, thats what I've always wanted to believe when I'm at a loss as to what to think about. I know this is slightly off topic, but that is why i think certain characters are so much more interesting.

For instance, Darth Revan, corrupting thousands of Jedi and wreacking havoc across the galaxy but leaving its vital infastructure intact, assasinating those Republic leaders who would seek to destabalise unity against a threat on a different front (the true Sith perhaps? or even Chuck Norris?) and also Count Dooku, leaving the Jedi Order and his ties to the Republic because of the corruption, yet inevitably loosing his head, in more ways than one.

People who were not inherrently evil, but saw that path as a means to an end, albeit in both those cases doing some rather evil things. Dooku himself used a Jedi healing trance when recruiting Jango Fett as the prime clone.

Sith Lord Windu
the force is an energy field that surrounds everything that lives. it cant be classed into good and evil, its the user who conforms to class.

the jedi want to help and the sith want power. the fact is that if the user is strong enough then he/she can use both sides.
also, both philsosopies (i know i cant spell) of the jedi and sith are flawed. the jedi must think outward, not allowed to love and have natural and healthy emotions like anger and pain. for example, anakin fell in love with padme but had to keep it a secret so he had noone to turn to, to find out what he must do aobut his strong emotions.

the sith think about power and hatred, it becomes thier obsessionand they cant live without power and the darkside embracing them, thats why its so hard to break free, the more you have the more you want.

if the grey jedi exist then they would be better if they learned at an older age, a chance to express and learn about natural emotins. the jedi of the old republic were slaves to a flawed belief and the sith are too obsesed with power.

Darth Kreiger
Since Lucas changed it, it no longer is an Energy Field, it's a bunch of Cells inside you that produce the Force, and allow you to use it

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Since Lucas changed it, it no longer is an Energy Field, it's a bunch of Cells inside you that produce the Force, and allow you to use it TPM Anakin was too immature for the truth.

Sith Lord Windu
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Since Lucas changed it, it no longer is an Energy Field, it's a bunch of Cells inside you that produce the Force, and allow you to use it

miderclorians are a level of the force you have, ie how in tune you are with the force. it still doesn't matter about it being a field or cells, the fact remains the same, no person is inherently evil and the force is still a neutral force that can be used by anybeing intune with it. my point is still valid.

Sith Lord Windu
Originally posted by Lord Saboteur
TPM Anakin was too immature for the truth.

what truth, the jedis truth to ignore the natural things that happen in life and sould be embraced and used. if you had to do that to become a jedi then noone on earth over the age of about 10 could do it, try and control all you emotions all the time, when your mother is killed by men (sand people) and you fall in love, have had that person stollen from you, after finding out you have a kid and think you have killed that person, can you honestly say that youd be happy and healthy after that? id idin't think so...

read my point and rethink you arguement.

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by Sith Lord Windu
what truth, to ignore the natural things that happen in life and sould be embraced and used. if you had to do that to become a jedi then noone on earth over the age of about 10 could do it, try and control all you emotions all the time, when your mother is killed by men (sand people) and you fall in love, have had that person stollen from you, after finding out you have a kid and think you have killed that person, can you honestly say that youd be happy and healthy after that? id idin't think so...

read my point and rethink you arguement. Wait, I was arguing? When? And what're you saying to me? It's as hard to read as ESB Vader(the member)'s posts. And the events of AotC have no hold when I'm talking about TP-Fricking-M Anakin. NOT the rash, arrogant and stupid Padawan Anakin. Reading comprehension is a friend, not a fiend.

Sith Lord Windu
what!!!???!!!

Lord Saboteur
what!!!???!!! I know, you're shocked. And I'm saying that Anakin, as a child, mind you, was not ready to hear "The Force surrounds us, blah blah blah".

Sith Lord Windu
oh i get it, i couldn't be bothered to comprehend the words at 2:33am so i wanted a simpler explanation and i got it.

what im saying is that its possible to use both sides of the force if the person folows the right philosopy and isn't flawed by the jedi teachings or the sith teachings. hard to do but not impossible!

Lord Saboteur
oh i get it, i couldn't be bothered to comprehend the words at 2:33am so i wanted a simpler explanation and i got it.

what im saying is that its possible to use both sides of the force if the person folows the right philosopy and isn't flawed by the jedi teachings or the sith teachings. hard to do but not impossible! In accordance to the movies, that's just a big NEIN. And in EU, IIRC, the chances of not falling aren't all that good.

Infinity
the force is an energy field that surrounds everything that lives. it cant be classed into good and evil, its the user who conforms to class.

the jedi want to help and the sith want power. the fact is that if the user is strong enough then he/she can use both sides.
also, both philsosopies (i know i cant spell) of the jedi and sith are flawed. the jedi must think outward, not allowed to love and have natural and healthy emotions like anger and pain. for example, anakin fell in love with padme but had to keep it a secret so he had noone to turn to, to find out what he must do aobut his strong emotions.

the sith think about power and hatred, it becomes thier obsessionand they cant live without power and the darkside embracing them, thats why its so hard to break free, the more you have the more you want.

if the grey jedi exist then they would be better if they learned at an older age, a chance to express and learn about natural emotins. the jedi of the old republic were slaves to a flawed belief and the sith are too obsesed with power.

hmm... i see...

Sith Lord Windu
like i said the right teachings are the key, and being able to resist the darkside. fallings is easy as all jedi who try to resist embrace it at some point.

the movies do include two people using the darkside to fight. yoda uses lightning and mace uses his darkside to give him power in the palp' battle (if you count it).

in the eu anythings possible so argueing whether its possible is pointless as the right jedi may do it at some point.

END OF THREAD!

Sith Lord Windu
Originally posted by Infinity
hmm... i see...

agree or disagree?

Infinity
agree

FeceMan
Personally, I don't like Lucas' idea that one is either lightside or darkside. It's perfectly acceptable, in my opinion, to use both sides of the Force as long as one is very, very careful in using them. Though, one who is good/neutral using dark-aligned powers would be less potent in their use, methinks.

Forcemaster
on the cover of the novel The Swarm War, it depicts Luke Skywalker using force lightning. There's your answer. Yes.

Ushgarak
Lucas never changed the Force from being the energy that runs through the Universe and binds it together.

But grey Jedi are a ridiculous fanboy dream. Let us be clear here- the Dark Side IS evil. It is the overriding lesson of Star Wars. it is not even necessarily falling into the category of evil- it might will be the very definition of what evil is.

You are either Balanced or not, living in harmony with the Galayy or not, being symbiotic or parasitic, good or evil. One is the Light Side, one is Dark. Light is the balanced side, the right side- the correct side. The Jedi are right. Dark is unbalanced, evil, and wrong (and ultimately self-destructive). The Sith are wrong.

You cannut 'use' both sides of the Force. That's simply not a recognised conceot. it is not as if you go to Light Side school or Dark Side school. Your side of the Force represents the very core and essence of your being- good or evil.

The Dark Side is evil and you cannot escape it. The Jedi are good and what they say and teach is right.

This is all absolute canon.

exanda kane
I think Gray Jedi are a nice idea, of a Jedi severing ties from the order to act for the will of the Force in his own way, but a gray jedi using "dark side" techniques is a little silly.

Akira99
I always thought the sides of the force was like a spectrum - sort of like light side = acid to the left and dark side = alkaline to right
So its better to be one or the other as being both would make you neutral and not very powerful or incapable of using both dark and light side powers. So being neutral you could stil use telekinesis and psychic powers as such btu not effectively use heal or light attacks etc. AND force lightning etc. If you were like 14 to the right you could use lightning and it would be VERY powerful
Thats how I always viewed the force
I wonder how vaapad and Mace fits into this though

Sith Lord Windu
if you notice in the film, yoda uses force lightning, in jedi academy luke says that its the user who decides what power to use, no pwer is good or evil. grey jedi could exist.

as for ushgarak, your point about going to light and darkside school contradicts yourself, if you went to dark and light school then you would only use one of the sides, the jedi go to temples and learn, the sith proberly did the same at some time, but what about the first few jedi, i bet they used both sides of the force as its an energy field (i ignore the new crappy explanation) that is neutral, so grey jedi could exist.

Sith Lord Windu
Originally posted by Akira99
I wonder how vaapad and Mace fits into this though

i think it depends on the skill and user, if maul did use vapaad then it would be more to darkside, whereas mace's would just be turning to the darkside

Akira99
But isn't force lightning an 'evil' power? It causes the victim unbearable pain and drains life

Sith Lord Windu
Originally posted by Akira99
But isn't force lightning an 'evil' power? It causes the victim unbearable pain and drains life

yeah but no power is inherently evil, though it does cause pain and death. i think that yoda uses the lightning to test dooku, after all he only uses it at the end of AOTC. he does say "alot to learn, you still have".

Akira99
That is Yoda's lightning. Where is this coming from - the novel?
I thought he just captured Dooku's energy in his hands and then instead of dissipating it just blasted it back at him

Sith Lord Windu
oh yeah, still to control that lightning and send it back, and then absorb the second wave is impressive. i suspect that yoda could do it or learn it.

Darth Kreiger
Well doesn't NJO Luke have the Godly Power of Green Lightning or something? It insta-kills someone upon contact? I have trouble seeing how that ISN'T considered dark, same with Yaddles ability to kill people

Ushgarak
if you notice in the film, yoda uses force lightning, in jedi academy luke says that its the user who decides what power to use, no pwer is good or evil. grey jedi could exist.

as for ushgarak, your point about going to light and darkside school contradicts yourself, if you went to dark and light school then you would only use one of the sides, the jedi go to temples and learn, the sith proberly did the same at some time, but what about the first few jedi, i bet they used both sides of the force as its an energy field (i ignore the new crappy explanation) that is neutral, so grey jedi could exist.

It doesn't contradict itself at all, because the point is that in that example you could mix the schools of teahcing if you wanted to. The sides of the Force are not like that- thjey are not two diffwerent techniques to be mixed and matched. They are basic, fundamental attributes of the USER.

And again- there is no 'new crappy explanation'. The Midichlorians were an explanation of how people interact with the Force, NOT what the force is, the explanation of which has never changed.. There is a lot of very unintelligent stuff said about the midichlorians.

"no pwer is good or evil. grey jedi could exist."

Thgat logic does not follow. The powers are not inherently good or evil, but the way you use the Force is. If you use your rage and your anger, if you are selfish and seeking power for what you want and not what is good for the Galaxy as a whole, then you are on the Dark Side of the Force, and evil. You can't mix that, it is absolute- give into your emotions, and you are on the dark path, and you are lost.

You have to escape the idea that there are two entirely different sets of powers, or anything like that. Light and Dark Side is about how you use the Force, not what you learn and what you do.

Darth Kreiger
So you could use Force Lightning/Grip/Crush/Drain etc etc, but as long as your not being Evil, you can?

Geekonthainside
of course not!!
thats just stupid u cant pick an choose wat u want from each side u hav to immerse urself in one side just to be able to use the abilities of tht side like force light with dark side

General Kaliero
It's not like an ability set for a game character depending on alignment. All Force powers exhibited by Jedi or Sith exist within the Force, but it's not what powers you use that determines if you're Light or Dark. You are Light if you feel the Force should be used to protect others and make the galaxy a better place to live in. You are Dark if you feel the Force should be used to help yourself alone and make the galaxy your plaything.

That's why you cannot mix and match the two sides. Alignment isn't a chosen path, it's an indication of one's own nature.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.