which saber form would you use?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ESB Vader
ok well post which saber forms u like orwould rather master. that includes the 3 new NJO styles

Blue_Hefner
Vaapad

Sith'ari
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Vaapad

kamikz
There have already been threads like this...

Makashi for me probably...

Darth Kreiger
Makashi, Ataru, Vaapad, and maybe a few outside th main 7

ESB -1138
Form V

((The_Anomaly))
Makashi or Ataru prolly. And I don't think the NJO has styles, the JA "fast, medium and strong" saber "styles" are not actual canon styles.

Himo
Ya, NJO kinda ruined everything for Star Wars in my opinion. Especially Luke's opinion about the force. Idiot.

I'd do Juyo. Why? Cuz it sounds cool. And it's pretty good.

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Form V What this man said.

exanda kane
Form 69. I'm a master.

ESB Vader
well for me id use the juyo/vaapad and the shien form, dont know how luke make his saber look like 20

Rampant ox
I would master Makashi to the degree that Dooku has. Then I might learn Soresu because that is my second fav form...

Blaxican Hydra
I woudl do Makashi as well, but I would master it to the point were I WOULDN'T get my head cut off by a teenage punk.

ESB Vader
haha lol yea. anyways y did dooku loose to anakin? thought makashi was perfect for fencing and more of defensive,
i think he was over confident

kamikz
Originally posted by Rampant ox
I would master Makashi to the degree that Dooku has. Then I might learn Soresu because that is my second fav form...

That would be good, you would get the ultimate defence. Makashi is a defence for saber and then overcoming your opponent, and Soresu is just ultimate defence for everything....

I would probably combine those as well, or I would combine it with something like Ataru or Djem Su, so I would not lack the physical prowess that is the flaw of Makashi....

But right now, I've kinda come to think more less about Makashi. At first I thought it was such kickass for, like THE best saber vs saber style. But now, since the novel of Ep3, it seems like it can't handle anyone who has more kinetic energy in it....

Quinlan_Vos
I would use Makashi and with my other hand use the Force.

If not, I would probably use Jar'Kai.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Form V

Yeah, I would too. That's the "own people that should be better than you" style. I bet the Exile used it...

Akira99
Vaapad after studying Jar-Kai and Makashi with a bit of Ataru for acrobatic prowess

Eugene14520
Vaapad, Ataru and Makashi. I'm more of the lightsaber type of guy.

Council#13
Makashi or Soresou. Something I could use even when I'm old

Sith Lord Windu
id use djem so and shien first, then later, when im skilled enough in the force, id master vapaad. id train to be as skilled as anakin(djem so and shien) and mace(vapaad).

ESB Vader
is vaapad the same as juyo?

Infinity
i like dooku's style very classical and defensive.

John!attheDisco
Ataru

Why?

Because who wouldn't want to jump around like Yoda? eek!

And know not to get stabbed by Darth Maul... miffed

And Vaapad is the finished form of Juyo...

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
I woudl do Makashi as well, but I would master it to the point were I WOULDN'T get my head cut off by a teenage punk.

Dooku had mastered it to the highest degree. I could be wrong but didnt he also modify it to his liking. But lets face it, there is no beating a pissed off Anakin.

Council#13
*cough* Obi-Wan

Sith Lord Windu
dooku wasn't able to match and block the power of anakin as makashi fighters rely on precise cuting movements using as little nergy as possible. thats why he got beheaded.

Sith Lord Windu
Form I: Shii-Cho or The Determination Form was the first of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

As the weapons technology of the lightsaber was developed, the need for a form of combat arose. Thus Form I, also called Way of the Sarlacc, was born. Shii-Cho was the most ancient style of fighting, ancient sword-fighting traditions held key principles of blade combat that were implemented by early Jedi Masters in the rather basic technical tactics of Form I.

One of the marks of contact, sun djem, was a goal of early Form I duelists, as disarming or destroying the opponents' weapons could ensure victory without causing injury, which was always a Jedi objective. However with the rise of Form II, sun djem became nearly impossible as Makashi duelists were well trained to prevent his / her own weapons being taken or destroyed.

The opening stance for Shii-Cho seemed to be the basic defensive stance; both hands clasping the lightsaber pointed down at a 45 degree angle from a high starting position.

Sith Lord Windu

Sith Lord Windu
Form III: Soresu, the Way of the Mynock, or The Resilience Form was the third form of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

Form III was originally developed to counteract the advancing blaster technology throughout the Galaxy. Those to whom the Jedi were mainly opposed usually wielded blasters, and the Jedi needed to find a method of defense that could repel normally overwhelming volleys of blaster fire.

The opening stance of Soresu was spread-out, with the saber hand drawn back but the blade pointed towards the opponent, and the other hand in the same direction with a two-finger gesture.

The third form of lightsaber combat utilized motions that occurred very close to the body, in an attempt to achieve near-total protection and expend as little energy as possible while executing moves. This technique minimized the body's exposure, making a well-trained practitioner nearly invincible. Followers of Soresu comfortably remained on the defensive until their opponent left an opening that a Soresu practitioner usually could exploit in multiple ways. Soresu was best described as a passive form of combat, and one that was used by those who were extremely patient and reserved.

Due to the emphasis on defense training, Form III involved preparation for prolonged battles so that the user would be able to learn as much as possible about their opponent or opponents whilst engaged in possibly deadly combat. Also, by being more capable in lengthy battles, a Soresu user was in a position to gain control of the situation and provide multiple options for the duelist; such as the choice to either kill, disarm, or even reason with their opponent. Many Soresu practitioners survived the Battle of Geonosis, thanks in part to its specialization in fending off blaster fire. In fact, all Jedi probably had to be trained in some minimal amount of Form III when they were younglings and/or Padawans to prepare them when fending off blaster-wielding opponents, while well trained users could survive even when surrounded by multiple attackers. Soresu's greatest power lay in the endurance and control a practitioner eventually developed. Masters of the form left no opening for their opponents to take advantage of, while waiting for the eventual lapses in their opponent's own defense.

Jedi Master Mace Windu noted that, unlike any of the other combat styles, Soresu was not an answer to a particular type of weakness. Vaapad was an answer to Windu's inner darkness; Ataru was Yoda's answer to his limited reach and advanced age; and Djem So was Anakin Skywalker's answer to his boiling emotions. Towards the end of the Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi was acknowledged as "the master of Soresu" by Master Windu. It was because of this fact that Kenobi was chosen by the Council as the Jedi best suited to defeat General Grievous due to his Mastery of Form III. Soresu was considered the consummate Jedi combat form in that it embraced a passive way of life and a literal expression of the Jedi's tenement to defend rather than attack.

Even though a truly focused master of Soresu was nearly unbeatable due to a strong defense posture, there was more guarantee of survival rather than victory. Initiates in Form III were known to be more than capable when defending themselves from attack, but might have lacked the experience to trap an opponent in their own offense. Since the defensive tactics of the form included guards and parries that were very close to the body, even a master had to keep a strong focus on his or her actions as small lapses in an otherwise strong defense left little room to avoid injury. As the most prominent Soresu master of his time, Obi-Wan Kenobi was known to be almost invincible in fighting numerous combatants and defeating some of the most dangerous foes when seeming so close to defeat. Yet during his first direct confrontation with Count Dooku during the Battle of Geonosis, his normally impenetrable defense was outmatched by Dooku's Makashi, possibly due to the advantage of Makashi in blade-to-blade fight and Dooku's vast experience in fencing. It was not favorable for a Jedi General to be in a lengthy fight while his troops were left alone on the battlefield, but this was usually unavoidable, as it was when Master Kenobi had to leave his regiment of troops in his drawn out pursuit of General Grievous. Upon Kenobi's second confrontation with Dooku at the Battle of Coruscant, he had improved his Soresu to the point where he was able to effectively render Dooku's attacks ineffective, and was only defeated when Dooku used his superior strength in the Force to gain the upper hand.

The key to truly mastering Soresu may concern the concept and philosophy of Soresu, instead of its combat moves. Kenobi, despite his highest mastery of Soresu, applied Shii-Cho elements and Ataru acrobatics into his swordplay, as witnessed by Dooku onboard the Invisible Hand. By combining his knowledge of Ataru and his mastery of Soresu, Kenobi's swordplay proved to be an unique style: one with the defensive principle and protective ability of Soresu, plus the simplicity of Form III, the mobility of Ataru, and the deep connection and concentration within the Force, another key Ataru principle which allows Kenobi to handle any situation.

Soresu was a very favorable form of combat for Jedi until the Great Jedi Purge. The defense and control it allowed a practitioner made for suitable outcomes in favor of the user when faced with hurried opponents who left themselves vulnerable to counterattack. It was best for warding off blaster fire and multiple opponents as a trained user would be able to defend even outside their visual range. However, its defense required a very large amount of focus from the wielder and even a momentary fault in concentration could have meant the user's defeat. Jedi with less focused minds would usually abandon this style of combat to capitalize on the benefits of other styles that required less dedication to prolonged fighting. Jedi who mastered Soresu were known to be the most successful when dealing in situations when a quick victory was not favorable to total understanding and calculated action.

Form III, the "Way of the Mynock," was inspired by the need to deflect Blaster bolts. It is very defensive; it has no aggressive qualities. Form III utilises motions occurring very close to the body to achieve a nearly total protection, efficiently expending as little energy as possible to execute those moves. This technique exposes as little body target zone open areas as is possible, making a well-trained practitioner nearly invincible. Testimony to this is the fact that Ben Kenobi, a Form III master, only falls when he chooses to let Darth Vader kill him.

Sith Lord Windu

Sith Lord Windu
Form V: Shien/Djem So or The Perseverance Form was the fifth form of the seven forms recognized as canon by the last Jedi Council for lightsaber combat.

Form V or the Way of the Krayt Dragon was a powerful style developed by Form III practitioners that preferred a more offensive style, since the defensive nature of Form III often led to dangerously prolonged combat. Djem So evolved into a combat style by combining the defensive maneuvers of Soresu with the more aggressive philosophy/tactics of Makashi.

Aayla Secura, Cin Drallig, Anakin Skywalker, who later became Darth Vader, and his son Luke Skywalker were all confirmed Form V practitioners.

The opening stance of Djem So is both hands on the saber handle, with the blade raised high above the head.

Shien and Djem So are stated as two different styles, but due to their similarities they both fall under the category of Form V. Shien was better at dealing with blaster bolts while Djem So was better at lightsaber dueling, as it needed a higher level of physical strength and aggressive moves. It is known that Anakin Skywalker mastered both styles.

Darth Vader created his own variant of Form V, where he would use only one hand to strike and defend, and hold the other casually by his side. This was the case during his duel with his son on Bespin.

Form V came into existence by taking the defensive skills derived from Form III and quickly channeling it into offense. A common example used to illustrate the difference is that that while Form III combatants effortlessly deflected blaster bolts, Form V practitioners excelled at redirecting the blaster fire back toward the opponent. This action simultaneously defended the user and efficiently injured the enemy. Form V emphasized strength and power over your opponents. Many Jedi disapproved of this philosophy. Some in the Order may have felt that this lightsaber form led too quickly to violence, instead of diplomacy when dealing with disputes, and because it appeared to call for the physical domination of an opponent, which is counter to Jedi beliefs.

Using a combination of blocks and parries derived from Soresu and Makashi, a Djem So user had a proper foundation in terms of defense against both blaster and melee attacks. However, while a Soresu user stayed on the defensive and only counterattacked when necessary and when an opening appeared in his opponents defense, a Djem So practitioner was not so measured or patient. After defending an attack by an opponent, a Djem So stylist would follow with an attack of their own. While Makashi relied on precise and small cuts of the blade, Djem So utilized series of flourishes and attacks that included wide two-handed swings and powerful overhead/over-shoulder slashes. Unlike Soresu, Djem So required the user to not only counterattack, but press the assault, combining Force-enhanced strength with powerful blade combinations, to overpower and overwhelm an opponent's defenses.

Djem So is best represented by Anakin Skywalker in his second battle with Count Dooku toward the end of the Clone Wars. During the duel, Count Dooku is surprised and shocked when he realizes that Anakin is now a Djem So practitioner, and "as fine a one as he has ever seen." During the battle Anakin attacks Dooku, using his entire body including his arms, shoulders, legs and forward momentum to overwhelm Dooku with brute strength. In fact, when he blocks a blow from Skywalker, the sheer kinetic power generated by Anakin during this battle was so great that it was able to force Dooku's own crimson blade down onto his shoulder, wounding him. Count Dooku himself has noted that his elegant Makashi could never generate enough kinetic power to match Djem So strength-to-strength. During this duel as well as the duels between Luke Skywalker and his father Darth Vader, we can see that it was common for Djem So users to lock their swords and use their strength to drive their opponents back and corner them into a more vulnerable position.

Luke Skywalker is a very special practitioner of Form V. On Bespin, Luke revealed that he was an extraordinarily gifted duelist after only one brief session with Obi-Wan Kenobi three years before, and a short time of study with Yoda. Nevertheless, Luke was able to hold his own against Darth Vader for a time. After that fateful duel, Luke studied some lightsaber skills from Kenobi's journal and greatly advanced in his abilities. Without a Master, it was Luke's unparalleled aptitude which contributed in such an impossible advancement. Onboard the second Death Star, Luke showed his true talent by mirroring Darth Vader's own Form V technique and responded with his own furious demonstration of Form V's raw power. Observing swordsmen such as Palpatine might be astonished at such instantaneous learning in a lightsaber duel. Finally, Luke was able to duel Vader on an even footing, and defeated the experienced Dark Lord of the Sith.

Djem So stylists are often moving towards their opponents, striking with each forward step. Since Djem So utilizes strength and power into each of its strikes, it requires the user to generate that power with their entire body, footwork, and forward motion. It also makes their movements predictable and fairly rigid, as they would constantly charge ahead towards their opponents. Another weakness in this form is that its aggressive style can also lead to carelessness or even recklessness, as they're so caught up in the attack that a user undermines his/her own defenses.

Despite its controversies, Djem So proved to be an effective combat style, utilizing the parries and defensive techniques of Form II and III, but with a ferocious style all its own.

The philosophy of Djem So not only emphasized strength and power in defeating an opponent, but more importantly on action. This made it a more favorable combat form for Jedi who wanted quick resolutions and favored "aggressive negotiations." Bold, powerful, fearless, and confident are also traits used to describe practitioners of Djem So. The style itself was supposedly the most aggressive form of lightsaber combat, though Mace Windu's mastery of Vaapad may very well compare in terms of aggressiveness; indeed Vaapad tapped the Force so intensely that Jedi trod perilously close to the dark side to sustain it.

Lightsabers belonging to Form V practitioners generally have a solid casing either as a whole or in multiple sections for maximum protection against power surge deterioration, and a heavily shrouded blade emitter to designate separate facets of the blade for either offensive or defensive purposes.

Form V is a powerful style developed by Form III practitioners that preferred a more offensive angle. The defensive nature of Form III dangerously prolonged combat. The maxim "peace through superior firepower," encompasses the philosophy of Form V, also called the "Way of the Krayt Dragon." Anakin and Luke Skywalker are both practitioners of Form V. Form V focuses a bit on having defensive skills, but channelling defence into offence. The example is commonly used that while Form III combatants effortlessly deflect laser bolts, Form V practitioners excel at redirecting the laser bolt toward the opponent.

Sith Lord Windu
The "Way of the Rancor," Form VI was the standard style at and around the time period of the Clone Wars and the Great Jedi Purge. This combat discipline is often called the "Diplomat's Form." In fact, all of the Jedi using Form VI were killed at the Battle of Geonosis. Form VI attempts to balance all elements of lightsaber combat, combining the Forms that came before into a less intensely demanding combat style. The result is that the users' skill in each individual area of lightsaber combat is only moderate.

Sith Lord Windu

Council#13
Thank you for reminding us by copying and pasting. But you're right. Dooku only lost because "his own graceful Makashi did not generate the kinetic energy to meet Djem So head on"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.