Theatre or Home?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wayne68
Hi
Wonder what you all prefer. Is it off to the theatre for the full on theatrical experience including the largest person in the house sitting in front of you big grin or a more restrained approach with snacks and drinks at home?
Wayne

BackFire
Home. I like the theater and all, but I hate the other, stupid, loud mouthed people who are usually in said theater. Also the theater is too expensive these days.

Quincy Archer
Luckily my local theater has a special tuesday offer - 5 dollars for every ticket. As opposed to the ten bucks charged all other days. I like the theater experience.

AstroFan
Home. HD and surround sound works just fine.

I just hate all the other people in theaters.

sithsaber408
Theatre.

For big event films, (Starwars, Superman, Spiderman, Transformers, etc...) you have to watch it on the big screen first.

Other flicks like The Prestige, or The Departed, I could watch at home and be fine with.

If I have the cash I'll go catch 'em at the movies though, cuz waiting 3 or 4 months to see a movie I want to see sucks.

Especially if I can just go watch it 10 min. away from my house.

MildPossession
Home, I would love to see every film on the big screen, but nearly everytime I go to the cinema it is spoilt by some morons in the cinema and really ruins the experience. Even on the less busy days, went once and some idiots let off stink bombs, horrible smell.

~Da Rev~
Theater. With the student discount, its like 2 bucks less. So i usuall go there.

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
Home, I would love to see every film on the big screen, but nearly everytime I go to the cinema it is spoilt by some morons in the cinema and really ruins the experience. Even on the less busy days, went once and some idiots let off stink bombs, horrible smell.

Yep, same for me. Always some ugly little 16 year old trying to impress his zit faced girlfriend by trying to be funny and disrupting.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by BackFire
Home. I like the theater and all, but I hate the other, stupid, loud mouthed people who are usually in said theater. Also the theater is too expensive these days.

Agreed. wink

I paid for me and another person the other night for a movie and it was 20 bucks... which is way too expensive.

And a couple years back when I went to see Spider-Man 2, there was this old man sitting next to me during the film with his hand in his pocket, jingling his change (very loudly) the entire time. It's people like that that can ruin a movie-going experience.

C-Dic
Personally, I'd opt for the theatre, about 3 weeks into a movie's theatrical run. That said, after having dropped about $2,500 into my new home theatre, I gotta get my money's worth there, too.

So, home.

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Wayne68
Hi
Wonder what you all prefer. Is it off to the theatre for the full on theatrical experience including the largest person in the house sitting in front of you big grin or a more restrained approach with snacks and drinks at home?
Wayne I use to love going to the theater every week but paying $8.50 for a movie anymore just isnt worth it... a lot of movies anymore I come out of and grumble about wasting my money on

and the snacks at the theater... what a big waste of money... i usually take a big purse and sneak stuff in ninja

so... Home.. I don't mind staying home to watch a movie anymore.. its not so bad on the small screensmile

jaden101
i'm with sithsaber and c-dic on this...i only really go to the cinema when the scale of the film really warrents it...and even then i only go a few weeks into the run so the cinema is relatively empty

Wolfie
Most recently, I gotta go with home.

The theater is great. Going to the cinema is a passtime that can't be replaced. If it wasn't for the large price and annoying people (some guy was laughing the entire time during The Descent, just ruined it), I'd go with the cinema.

But home: it's free, the only annoying people laughing and talking are your friends stick out tongue, you can pause if you have to go to the bathroom, DVD is better quality picture than the theater's film, and if it's your own personal DVD collection, you won't walk out disappointed.

I was just saying recently, what is the theater? It's an oversized VHS tape projected on a large screen that's $5 less than the DVD release four months later.

DeVi| D0do
Home. My parents have a projector attached to the ceiling in their living room... Whenever I want to watch a movie I'll just go over there.

I love going to the theatre... And while audiences can piss me off sometimes, there's nothing better than going to see a film like Napolean Dynamite with the right kind of audience (in fact, I think I'd have hated that film if I'd watched it alone). But it's just too damned expensive these days... $15 a pop, $30 for two of us... and that's without food! I'd rather wait a few months, rent it on DVD, and kick back on the sofa...

H. S. 6
I have to say, the theater did make seeing Lady in the Water a slightly enjoyable experience (note that I said the theater, and not the piece of flaming shit that was the actual movie).

During the really stupid scenes (just about every one), basically the whole audience was laughing. laughing out loud

I started to crack up, tears and all, when these couple of old ladies in the row in front of me had this brief exchange: The one lady leans over to her friend (both of them look pretty old). "What's going on?" The first lady asks, referring to the movie.

Her friend looks at her with fire in her eyes and says fiercely, "I have no f*cking clue."

laughing

To see an old lady like that so angry and curse, over the movie... oh man, it was great.

Kram3r
Woah, I barely get any disruption in a cinema. I get the odd occasion but that's about it. I love going to the theatre to see movies when they come out and shit but I rarely do anymore because there isn't too much I'm interested in. There are still a lot of movies I gotta see on DVD as opposed to what's out, so I normally watch at home. As a preference I suppose the theatre.

Praylu
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Theatre.

For big event films, (Starwars, Superman, Spiderman, Transformers, etc...) you have to watch it on the big screen first.

Other flicks like The Prestige, or The Departed, I could watch at home and be fine with.

If I have the cash I'll go catch 'em at the movies though, cuz waiting 3 or 4 months to see a movie I want to see sucks.

Especially if I can just go watch it 10 min. away from my house.

Ditto, thumb up thumb up

C-Dic
Originally posted by Wolfie

I was just saying recently, what is the theater? It's an oversized VHS tape projected on a large screen that's $5 less than the DVD release four months later.

..'parently you haven't been to a THX certified DLP theatre. wink

Praylu
The IMAX isn't a bad alternative either, when wishing to watch big ticket films in a place other than the local multiplex. wink

Impediment
Home. I prefer to actually hear the movie as opposed to the laughing idots, screaming kids, people on cell phones, and incessant rambling of other movie goers. Not to mention the overpriced concession stand items and admission.

AstroFan
Originally posted by Praylu
The IMAX isn't a bad alternative either, when wishing to watch big ticket films in a place other than the local multiplex. wink

Yeah, Superman is still playing here at the IMAX, I need to check it out.

Praylu
Me too, I've watched it in theatres twice but have yet to check out the IMAX version yet because it's playing about an hour or two away from where I live. I saw Spidey 2 at the IMAX, but SR should be interesting since some sequences can be seen in 3D.

DeVi| D0do
Why watching a movie with an audience can be the greatest experience ever:

http://snakesonapirate.ytmnsfw.com/ (Warning: This clip has coarse muther****ing language.)

Wolfie
Originally posted by C-Dic
..'parently you haven't been to a THX certified DLP theatre. wink
I'm talking about an average theater.

And no, there are none around where I live.
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

http://snakesonapirate.ytmnsfw.com/ (Warning: This clip has coarse muther****ing language.)
That would be great. I remember when I saw The World is Not Enough, everyone cheered when he said, "Bond, James Bond."

Dr. Strangelove
Home.

I like being able to have bathroom brakes without missing any of the movie, and that I've run into a bunch of idiots at the theatre recently.

AstroFan
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

stick out tongue

The audience when I saw the first showing of Superman was great. They even cheered before the movie when the Spiderman trailer came on. lol

Flamboyant4Life
Originally posted by Impediment
Home. I prefer to actually hear the movie as opposed to the laughing idots, screaming kids, people on cell phones, and incessant rambling of other movie goers. Not to mention the overpriced concession stand items and admission. Same. Last time I went to the movies there were these annoying kids that were screaming and throwing popcorn at people the whole time. In retaliation, my friends and I went to the concession stand and got handfuls of ketchup packets. Yeah, they got covered in ketchup. Surprisingly though, we didn't get kicked out.

T.M
Originally posted by BackFire

Agree 100%

§P0oONY
Home, got to agree with the people who hate the laughing idiots, plus you can be more social while watching a film at home with some friends... You can talk more about the film... while it's actually on, rather than waiting until the end, plus watching a film at home on your own means you can give it full attention; best of both worlds.

Impediment
Not to mention if I miss some dialogue, or have to go take a piss, I can hit the pause/rewind button.

Strangelove
Theatre.

All of the complaining about the theatre from previous posts, I just take that as part of the experience, and there are just some movies you have to see in theatres.

And I'm sometimes one of the annoying people, so I can't complain about that.

fantasygirl
Home, I feel more comfortable. smile

maddani
theater all the way nothing beats the sound,sticky floors and yes the people even the annoying ones.not even an huge HD plasma and 7.1 sound. a bad theatre experience be it movie sound or some jerk is still a great memory.

Dusty
A theater with proper sound, good picture quality, good staff, and a respectable audience can beat home any day.

However, watching films at home does have its privileges. The phonecalls ate what get me. ****ing phonecalls.

SpaceMonkey
If it wasn't for the stupid idiots who never shut up or are actually on their phones in the theater OR theloud immature kids I'd say the theater... but because of all those reasons(I don't mind the price, whatever with it) I'll have to say I prefer to watch at home.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.