Crank.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanZeke25
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808725259/info

I think this movie looks pretty good.

SnakeEyes
Looks like Jason Statham is being typecast.

It looks decent. I'll probably end up seeing it.

Tptmanno1
Wasn't he in the late night Comedy Central Show called Travel Sick?

forumcrew
this looks like transporter 3 to me

H. S. 6
Originally posted by forumcrew
this looks like transporter 3 to me

That's exactly what I thought it was at first.

silver_tears
I love Jason Statham, I really wanna see this movie even if it is an "all action no need for thought," type movie. Sometimes those are the best kinds big grin

Dusty
Jason Statham went a long way from commercials.

I'm looking forward to this!

T.M
Statham kinda annoys me but I don't know why..

I want to see this though.

Morning_Glory
love the transporter dude... saw the preview...looks good!

MildPossession
Crank is a rental viewing for me, looks fun though.

Strangelove
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Looks like Jason Statham is being typecast He certainly is. The only thing that even came close to being out of his norm was Cellular, and he still had the same elements of character, just no martial arts

silver_tears
Errr what about Lock, Stock or Snatch stick out tongue
God peoples.

-Tired Hiker-
Originally posted by silver_tears
God peoples.

I love snatch!

Dusty
Originally posted by -Tired Hiker-
I love snatch!

And not Lock Stock?

Blasphemy, good sir.

silver_tears
Second that faint

Kairiminé
well...it seems..interesting..amy smart and jason statham? they seem like the last people on earth to be like romantic together..and i think jason statham is getting typecast..the only film he seemed to be in that wasn't a action movie would have to be pink panther..he was there for like 12 seconds and you barley know it is him....eh?

silver_tears
Neither Snatch nor Lock, Stock is exactly what you would call action.

Dusty
Neither Snatch nor Lock, Stock is exactly what you would call action.

E.C.
It is VERY odd that Statham went from being cool-as-hell Turkish as the lead in Snatch to... this.

But he IS a skilled, does-his-own-stunts, very fit guy who's always had a cool style and charisma. I can't complain too much that he's getting these types of movies, since the alternative would probably be a talent-suspect pretty boy.

Oh, and to anyone saying "he's only been in action movies":

GO AND RENT SNATCH NOW

SnakeEyes
I never claimed that he was "only in action movies."

But lately, and lately being the keyword, he has only been in those kind of movies, thus the statement: Looks like Jason Statham is being typecast, was born.

Anyway, my dad saw this movie last night and he said it was a really cool action movie. So, I might end up seeing it soon.

Bardock42
God peoples.

Didn't he play in Mean Machine as well?

Anyways, Transporter 3, that's how they basically advertise it here as well.

Hans Moleman
God peoples. Which is why I'd like to watch this movie. Action packed, should be entertaining. I've neevr seen the Transporter though.

T.M
Originally posted by Bardock42
Didn't he play in Mean Machine as well?

Anyways, Transporter 3, that's how they basically advertise it here as well.

Yeah he played Monk.

Bardock42
Originally posted by T.M
Yeah he played Monk.

He was hilarious in that thing.

T.M
Originally posted by Bardock42
He was hilarious in that thing.

He was good in it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by T.M
He was good in it.

You negative person you...

MildPossession
Crank is suppose to be quite good I have heard.

As for the actor, he has only really done mostly action movies from the look of his whole filmography, and also unfortunately a Uwe Boll movie...

rox
don't forget collateral. he was different in that

Dusty
Originally posted by rox
don't forget collateral. he was different in that

10 seconds of screen time, much?

Quincy
Lets not forget he was in that...that jet li movie.

And the Italian Job.

T.M
Originally posted by Quincy
Lets not forget he was in that...that jet li movie.

And the Italian Job.

The One.

E.C.
I think his performance in The One taught us that he should NEVER try to do an American accent again.

Anyway, I saw Crank yesterday. The short of it is that it was a very loud, stupid, incredibly entertaining movie.

The long of it:

It's not Snatch, but so far, this is the first American-marketed flick that comes close to the level of coolness he showed in that one. However, although Statham shows a little of what made him so cool in Snatch, the film itself is on a whole 'nother plane of existence. This is what Domino should've been. A hyper-stylized, frenetic, funny flick with little plot, no class, and a genuine sense of humor. I've heard from another reviewer that this movie was a little like Natural Born Killers (although his review was, uh, less-than-favorable). I'd tend to agree. It has the same high-energy, the same self-awareness, the same trippy effects (over-the-top use of picture-in-picture, CG effects, camera tricks, subtitles). However, instead of putting in a twisted character study of love and a comment on sensationalist media, Crank forgoes subtext just to be loud, stupid, and funny. It's like a live-action Grand Theft Auto, where the only mission is to get from one corner of the map to the opposite corner in only 5 minutes by any means necessary. That can either sound like a good time or a complete turn-off.

For me, it's the former. I'm fully aware that this movie is as vapid as Britney Spears, but the insanely high entertainment value of the thing plus that the fact that it revels in its ADD is what wins me over. I'd rank this movie higher than the Transporter flicks. Although they too don't aspire to be much more than entertaining movies, they've both failed to be anything better than mediocre, striking me as run-of-the-mill, action movies reminiscent of 80s/90s average star-vehicle flicks. Crank is different. It too hyperactive and aware of itself to be cliche. Even at times were it seems cliche (such as Chev coming clean to his girlfriend), it'll turn around do something completely over the top ("I'M ALIVE!!"wink. And it takes great pleasure in all of its insanity.

There's no denying what Crank is. It's a dumb-as-hell, crass, morally bankrupt flick with not much in the way of plot or even characters. Hell, I'm surprised it's still over 60% at RottenTomatoes.com. But it's also funny, inventive, energetic, and stars Statham being as cool as he's been in a good while. And that's why I loved it.

KennyW
Is Jason Stratham a homosexual? I was just curious. I've never seen him linked with any hot hollywood chicks. And NO I am not gay!

T.M
He isn't gay.. he dated Kelly Brook for many years..

vvvgirls
I looved this movie. it was a lot of fun. It had the same fast paced theme as SAW. i would recommend it. . defintely entertaining

office jesus
It'll probably suck.

Stokely
This was utter crap. The only thing that stopped me from walking out was the friend I was with.

Solo
It wasn't very good.

wuTa
Originally posted by Strangelove
He certainly is. The only thing that even came close to being out of his norm was Cellular, and he still had the same elements of character, just no martial arts

You should see the movie London, thats the most out of norm he's been yet. He plays a Banker/Coke Dealer w/o any of the normal elements of his stereotypical charactors. Good movie, I'd recommend it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.