Red Steel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanZeke25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qwyoF1_oQ

This game looks fun as hell, and I don't even plan on buying a Wii.

AstroFan
I was really excited for this game, but I heard alot of disappoiting things at E3. I plan on getting a Wii, so I will still check it out.

DanZeke25
Originally posted by AstroFan
I was really excited for this game, but I heard alot of disappoiting things at E3. I plan on getting a Wii, so I will still check it out.

They said it was thrown together real quickly for E3, so thats why it wasn't so good.

MadMel
getting it on launch day...

Smasandian
It does look very impressive.

Wasnt they're a problem with the way it was controlled?

Something with the crosshair not always in the centre?

General Kaliero
I think they decided on the crosshairs not being centered the whole time because that detracted from the way the camera moved... think about it, it's not a realistic movement. You move the gun and your eyes, but you don't move your entire torso.

But there were issues with how close to the edge of the screen you had to point to turn.

MadMel
they're fixing it...they had problems at E3 because they recieved the wii kit late, so they had to work it very quickly..they also fixed the sword contols so that some moves are mapped, and some arent..they said this is because they want the player to be able to do things that's impossible to otherwise..
other features include throwing grenades with the nunchuk..

Smasandian
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I think they decided on the crosshairs not being centered the whole time because that detracted from the way the camera moved... think about it, it's not a realistic movement. You move the gun and your eyes, but you don't move your entire torso.

But there were issues with how close to the edge of the screen you had to point to turn.

I know why they did it, but if its like FPS with a mouse, you do the same movement.

The issue you talked about is the one i was thinking about about.

Draco69
It doesn't look very appealing to me other than the novelty of using the controller as a sword and a gun. Which will probably get old quickly.

Hopefully they improve the graphics (I was suddenly reminded of the first Doom...) and implement new gameplay elements as well as a good story.

Smasandian
It wasnt that bad of graphics.

Why would the controller get old?

It's an FPS, and the controller is taking over for the mouse. Shooting is shooting. It doesnt matter if its an wand controlller or a mouse. I would think that the controller for the Wii would make a tad more interesting because you can interact with it more often.

Draco69
Originally posted by Smasandian
It wasnt that bad of graphics.

The bad guys' faces look like blocks. Half-Life and Halo did a hell of better job.

Why would the controller get old?

It's an FPS, and the controller is taking over for the mouse. Shooting is shooting. It doesnt matter if its an wand controlller or a mouse. I would think that the controller for the Wii would make a tad more interesting because you can interact with it more often.

We already have a controller that can "interactively" shoot people. It's called the laser gun. It's been done before. And it was cool for awhile. Than it got old. Faking a swordstroke with a controller is novelty that will where off when your arm gets tired of waving.

They need to implement more than shooting to make it enjoyable. Better graphics, a storyline better than the gimmicky "oooh! Look you wave the controller, the sword cuts the bad guy", and more interactive play with the Wii controller other than shooting.

Also they need to fix the aiming and response of it as there's a reportable lag and certain amount of "offness" with the response of using the controller.

Red Steel can be a fairly good game if they get pass the gimmicky controls of the Wii.

This is precisely what I was worried about. Placing the novelty of the controller over actual depth of gameplay, graphics, storyline and everything else that makes the game.

They should take the Zelda/Mario route where they make Wii controller play innovatively as possible.

MadMel
Originally posted by Draco69
The bad guys' faces look like blocks. Half-Life and Halo did a hell of better job. note: that is E3 graphics..if you bothered to read my post, you would know that the developers got their wii kit late, so graphics had to be put together quickly. they are developing a new type of graphics for red steel.

We already have a controller that can "interactively" shoot people. It's called the laser gun. It's been done before. And it was cool for awhile. Than it got old. Faking a swordstroke with a controller is novelty that will where off when your arm gets tired of waving.
maybe you should throw out your mouse, because thats exactly what the wii-mote acts like...the mouse never gets old..its been used for as long as the computer has been created..why should wii be treated differently??

They need to implement more than shooting to make it enjoyable. Better graphics, a storyline better than the gimmicky "oooh! Look you wave the controller, the sword cuts the bad guy", and more interactive play with the Wii controller other than shooting. *cough*grenades*cough*new AI developed*cough*

Also they need to fix the aiming and response of it as there's a reportable lag and certain amount of "offness" with the response of using the controller.
..again, they had to make the E3 demo very quickly.

This is precisely what I was worried about. Placing the novelty of the controller over actual depth of gameplay, graphics, storyline and everything else that makes the game...your too negative laughing out loud

JToTheP
I WANT THIS ALONG WITH ZELDA ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!!!!

IceJaw
Originally posted by JToTheP
I WANT THIS ALONG WITH ZELDA ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!!!! lol caps, I want it too no expression

Smasandian
The bad guys' faces look like blocks. Half-Life and Halo did a hell of better job.

They need to implement more than shooting to make it enjoyable. Better graphics, a storyline better than the gimmicky "oooh! Look you wave the controller, the sword cuts the bad guy", and more interactive play with the Wii controller other than shooting.

Red Steel can be a fairly good game if they get pass the gimmicky controls of the Wii.

This is precisely what I was worried about. Placing the novelty of the controller over actual depth of gameplay, graphics, storyline and everything else that makes the game.

They should take the Zelda/Mario route where they make Wii controller play innovatively as possible.

How would you know that in this game, its a novelty? Or that the controller is off?

Have you played it yet?

Smasandian
The graphics are not compared to Half Life. That's a joke.

Heck the animations are pretty good actually.

I just think its a novelty, its not a light gun game because you control everything. How is that different than a mouse?

Draco69
Originally posted by MadMel
note: that is E3 graphics..if you bothered to read my post, you would know that the developers got their wii kit late, so graphics had to be put together quickly. they are developing a new type of graphics for red steel.

Here's hoping they improve it....

Seriously it looked like a 1995 Doom.

maybe you should throw out your mouse, because thats exactly what the wii-mote acts like...the mouse never gets old..its been used for as long as the computer has been created..why should wii be treated differently??

It's a glorified laser pistol. It's no different. You point the controller at the screen and press the button (i.e. trigger)

I don't know where people are getting the idea of a mouse. A mouse you glide across a smooth surface for nearly seemless control.

With the Wii TV remote, you point and you shoot moving your arm around. Like a laser pistol.

*cough*grenades*cough*new AI developed*cough*

Whoop de doo. Grenades. How revolutionary. We never done have grenades in no game, yessiree!

Please. I was hoping they would think of something new with the remote. It has alot of potential to add new dimensions to a shooting game. But so far first impressions show nothing of the sort.

..again, they had to make the E3 demo very quickly.

Again, first impressions aren't awe-inspiring nor promising. Apparently to you, it's quite impressive. That shows poor taste....

..your too negative laughing out loud

roll eyes (sarcastic)

You're being a fanboy and acting like one. I'm apparently the only one who's not licking the boots of the Wii and is critical about how they would make their games.

Aren't you being "too negative" about the PS3 and its games? No. You're being critical about it. Which is the same with what I'm doing. Except I don't make excuses for them.

Nintendo needs this console to succeed after a decade of profit disappointment. Microsoft and Sony could lose this console and war and the next and their profit margins will barely be fazed.

But if anyone takes the time research Nintendo's financial portfolio, they would see (and analysts agree) that they REALLY need to do well this time. I mean, they have to sell millions upon millions.

Their low-cost, cheap technology strategy can only take them so far. They need to be more proactive with their technology and their games particularly in the American market. If they don't, they could very well go the way of Sega....

Draco69
How would you know that in this game, its a novelty? Or that the controller is off?

IGN. Gamespot. Gametrailers. Accounts of those who have played the game. As MadMel stated, it was hash-bash job they put together at the very last minute to make E3.

Have you played it yet?

No. And from the looks of it, I don't want to. No interesting plotline. Gameplay is right out of arcade.

I'm calling it a novelty because of the "ooh you can move the remote around and shoot people!" gimmick. You have to do more than that to grab my attention.

Seriously, what's interesting about the game OTHER than the fact you can use the remote as a controller? Anyone? Yeah, I thought so. That's it. It's really no different from the laser pistol arcade game you played at Chuckie Cheese....

They need to add more innovative gameplay to make it hit launch title. If they don't, people will quickly see that's all the game is: a novelty to show off the remote's capabilities instead of the game itself. Which is sad.

Smasandian
Are you big fan of FPS?

Draco69
Are you big fan of FPS?

Sure. As long as it involves using my brain instead of mindlessly shooting things like Black....

Half-Life, Halo, Call of Duty and other current-gen FPS are much more than just shooting people. It involves strategy, coordination and some cases teamwork.

I'm hoping Red Steel involves more than the "whack a mole" concept with the katana and "laser gun" gimmick.

Let's be HONEST: If this game were on the Xbox 360 or the PS3, 99% of you would say it would suck.

Smasandian
I would say that its a typical FPS.

General Kaliero
Sure seems like a regular FPS to me, just with different controls.

You're asking what's so great about Red Steel? What's so great about Half-Life 2, while we're at it? Same controls as any other PC FPS. Gameplay is about as basic as you can get. Story? Bits of story in between long sequences of shooting anything that attacks you.

Now before you attack me for "dissing" a game, I love HL2. It and HL are my favorite FPS games to date. But what sets it apart? What exactly makes it worth having, when its parts are the same as dozens of other nearly identical games?

People are comparing the Wiimote to a mouse because, in relation to the screen, it's the same point-and-click interface as a mouse. It may be in 3D space, but that cursor on the screen will move exactly like a mouse cursor would.

You keep saying that they should add more innovative ideas to the game, but I have yet to see you offer an example of some "innovative" thing to be added. What, in your opinion, is missing in the Red Steel formula?

Draco69
Sure seems like a regular FPS to me, just with different controls.

It's a dull shooter with shockatastic, gimmicky controls. It's obviously not meant to be a great shooter but a showoff of what Wii's controller can do.

You're asking what's so great about Red Steel? What's so great about Half-Life 2, while we're at it?Same controls as any other PC FPS. Gameplay is about as basic as you can get. Story? Bits of story in between long sequences of shooting anything that attacks you.

Are you honestly asking such a question?

Honey, trying to compare Red Steel to Half-Life as the "same" is paltry......

erm

Now before you attack me for dissing a game, I love HL2. It and HL are my favorite FPS games to date. But what sets it apart? What exactly makes it worth having, when its parts are the same as dozens of other nearly identical games?

Great gameplay. Intelligent A.I. Expansive storyline. Great graphics. Excellent co-op. The list goes on.

Here's a better question what sets apart a C-list shooter game like Men in Black and Red Steel?

The Wii-Remote. That's it.

People are comparing the Wiimote to a mouse because, in relation to the screen, it's the same point-and-click interface as a mouse. It may be in 3D space, but that cursor on the screen will move exactly like a mouse cursor would.

No...

It's a glorified laser gun. You point and you shoot with the Wii remote. It's a shooter game....

The cursor just acts like a laser pointer would on the laser pistol.

You keep saying that they should add more innovative ideas to the game, but I have yet to see you offer an example of some "innovative" thing to be added. What, in your opinion, is missing in the Red Steel formula?

More weapons. Intelligent A.I. Etc.

Here's a better question. What's the most appealing thing about Red Steel? (besides being a Nintendo title..we already know you would jump on that horse)

The Wii remote.

Another question, and try to answer honestly, if Red Steel were on the PC, Xbox 360, PS2, or PS3 would you oh so brazenly defend the game and tout its goodness?

NO.

You're only remotely interested in the game not for the game itself, or the plot, or the gameplay, or anything else about it.

It's just the Wii-Remote. You got suckered in (like some many other people) at the "Oooh, Aaaah" factor of using the Wii remote as next-gen. laser pistol in the game.

That's pretty much it. You're not interested in anything else.

Which is exactly my point. I don't mind Nintendo innovativeness. Super Mario 64 was the pinnacle of gaming innovativeness. But Red Steel isn't.

Nintendo's only purpose of selling this lackluster title is to show off the controller and not the game.

Which is a slap in the face of Nintendo's values in my opinions. It should be about the games, not the controller.

Draco69
I would say that its a typical FPS.

I would say its a rather poor FPS with a gimmick.

It's not expanding on anything else but the novelty of using the Wii-Remote.

I'm for simplicity of controls as long as it unveils the complexity of the game.

If Nintendo continues down this path of ignoring actual gameplay and the games itself and focusing on exploiting the gimmick of the Wii remote. The industry will suffer. We'll have stupid whack a mole games instead of next-gen games.

Am I the only one who has noticed that most of the Wii news, talk and discussion on this forum isn't about the actual game but:

"Hey! If you wag the remote, the guy jumps in the air! Kewl!"

I want Nintendo to fully utilize the controller like they're beginning to do with the Zelda game and the Mario game.

General Kaliero
Are you honestly asking such a question?

Honey, trying to compare Red Steel to Half-Life as the "same" is paltry......

Great gameplay. Intelligent A.I. Expansive storyline. Great graphics. Excellent co-op. The list goes on.

Yes, I honestly am. The parts of HL add up to the same as any other FPS. The gameplay of running around and shooting things that move, just like any other FPS. The weapon selection of small pistols to bulky powerhouses, as per usual.

The A.I. What about it? If an enemy is alone, it attacks. If there's more than one, they attack together. So?

Did you mean the friendly A.I., such as it is? When you move to a certain position, or do a certain action, they respond with a pre-programmed action. They follow hardwired instructions like most other current A.I.

Storyline is indeed a success, keeping you entertained enough to continue through the next area of the game. Which is what it's for, after all.

Graphics, so what? Good graphics are nice, but the way technology is headed, I already know that at some point every game will look like that anyway.

You point to a spot on the screen, and click a button to do an action. How is that not like a mouse?

Just like a laser pointer on a gun? Why do you think the PC with its mouse is the preferred platform for FPS games?

Have a full list of the weapons that'll be in the game, do you?

Judging from trailers, the A.I. for Red Steel looks like the current top A.I. It utilizes cover, coordinates attacks from multiple angles, surrenders when unarmed. How is it not as intelligent as the A.I. in, say, Half-Life?

I personally see it as an entertaining game. I don't know much about the Yakuza, and therefore I look forward to learning about them, which is part of the story.

I'll have you know that I don't blindly follow games simply because they have a Nintendo label. I think Super Mario Sunshine was a horrible game, and I'm not vibrating with anticipation for Galaxy, either. They just don't really appeal to me, Nintendo or not.

I am indeed interested in the functionality of the Wii remote, but I'm not looking at Red Steel going "I can finally play an FPS like I'm actually holding a gun!" Red Steel is just as valid an FPS as any other, regardless of the control scheme.

I'm not "brazenly defending" Red Steel so much as giving it a fair chance, without judging a book by its cover before reading it. Would I give it the same chance if it were on another system? As it looks interesting, and the Yakuza storyline intriguing, I would, yes.

I appreciate you telling me what I think, so I don't have to do it myself. stick out tongue However, I will politely decline your opinion of my opinion.

Just so you know, it was Ubisoft who came up with the idea of an FPS and brought it to Nintendo, not the other way around. Nintendo has nothing to do with the actual making of the game. They just provided the dev kits. And considering the amount of work Ubisoft is putting into it, they seem very concerned about the game indeed.

Draco69
You haven't answered my questions. Would or would you not honestly give this game any hype at all if it were on any other system but the Wii?

General Kaliero
I'm not "brazenly defending" Red Steel so much as giving it a fair chance, without judging a book by its cover before reading it. Would I give it the same chance if it were on another system? As it looks interesting, and the Yakuza storyline intriguing, I would, yes.

I believe I have, actually.

Draco69
I believe I have, actually.

I wouldn't honestly believe you.

I haven't heard any praise whatsoever about the actual gameplay or the game itself save the novelty of using the Wii-Remote.

Also, I know you have substantially better taste in games. I don't believe you would waste your time with a game that's C-List under the guise of "innovative" gameplay.

No, you're just dying to swing the remote as if it were sword and cut an enemy like anyone else without any actual concern for the game's value...

Smasandian
I think he can get past the the whole remote and comparing it to an light gun.

Its not an arcade game, or an light game.
The difference...you control the actual movements of the character, thus not being an shooter game.

You call it that because the remote resembles an light gun, but the actually control in the game is not an lightgun.

I also like how you say this game has bad AI, everything else, when you havnt actually played the game. As for graphics, IGN who have played has stated the graphics are pretty good and not 1995 Doom.

Draco69
I think he can get past the the whole remote and comparing it to an light gun.

Its not an arcade game, or an light game.
The difference...you control the actual movements of the character, thus not being an shooter game.

You call it that because the remote resembles an light gun, but the actually control in the game is not an lightgun.

I also like how you say this game has bad AI, everything else, when you havnt actually played the game. As for graphics, IGN who have played has stated the graphics are pretty good and not 1995 Doom.

And around we go.

What's so difficult of imagining the Wii-Remote as a lightgun. Sure, you use the analog stick to move but you still point the damn thing to shoot the enemy....

Again, as anyone begun to praise or criticize the game for anything else but controller? I haven't heard an ounce of what they like besides that.

It's just "Yeah! We finally have the accuracy of a mouse in FPS!" (When its really more of a lightgun).

None of you have convinced you're interested in anything beyond that....

General Kaliero
I wouldn't honestly believe you.

Of course you wouldn't, what kind of place is an internet forum for unconditional trust?

No one outside of E3 has actually played the game, and thus cannot attest to the gameplay. How do you expect people to form an educated opinion on the gameplay of a game they've not played?

And exactly what proof do you have that Red Steel is, as you call it, a "C-list" game, when you haven't played it either? It seems you're relying entirely on third-hand opinions of people you don't know, and a general dislike of the premature build shown at E3.

You aren't actually reading my posts, are you? And why do you consider sword swinging here a bad thing, when you seem pleased that Zelda's gameplay has been changed to include the same functionality?

While I don't know what might convince you, an intelligent person such as you obviously are should be able to read what I've been writing and realize that the controller's functions are hardly my foremost reason for being interested in the game.

Draco69
Of course you wouldn't, what kind of place is an internet forum for unconditional trust?

I'll take that as poor sarcasm. Internet forums are a place of fantasy from our lives. If you have one, that is. That's the purpose of a signature with a make believe character and name that's not our own.

If you posted a poll on whether you practiced martial arts or not. 90% of the boys would say yes....

No one outside of E3 has actually played the game, and thus cannot attest to the gameplay. How do you expect people to form an educated opinion on the gameplay of a game they've not played?

It's hypothetical guessing based on observations. And my observations conclude a 6.0 on the IGN rating with a 9.0 in innovativeness because it's Wii.

Seriously, when has a crappy looking game EVER turned out to be an ace game on first or second impressions? Particularly a FPS?

And exactly what proof do you have that Red Steel is, as you call it, a "C-list" game, when you haven't played it either? It seems you're relying entirely on third-hand opinions of people you don't know, and a general dislike of the premature build shown at E3.

Here's a better question. You've seen the video. Are you saying that you don't have the slightest bit of apprehension for the game? Not an iota? Not anything?

You have good taste therefore you would truthfully say you have some apprehensions and hope for improvement.

But no. You seem to don't have any doubts and are attesting to the games fruitation based on controls.

While I don't know what might convince you, an intelligent person such as you obviously are should be able to read what I've been writing and realize that the controller's functions are hardly my foremost reason for being interested in the game.

And you haven't convinced me. What are other stuff are ya interested in with this game that reasonably conjures your interest besides the controls?

Again, here we are with the controls. What about the storyline? The friggin character we're actually playing as? Why are we cutting people in half? What's cool about the action? Are there big explosions? What weapons will we use? What about online multiplayer?

What's so damn cool about this game that would warrant a purchase?

Red Steel doesn't summon anything spectacular besides the controller. And you haven't stated anything besides a brief, "I like the Japanese setting."

Yeah, that's a standout....

H. S. 6
Draco, you seem to be attacking the controls of Red Steel, but here's what I don't understand. You were praising Zelda's use of the Wii controller before they changed the controls:

But then afterwards:

confused

Draco69
I was referring to the B button replacing the directional pad for arrow strikes.

Zelda is apparently making full use of the controller to goodness. However they're not making the game about the controller. They're making the game about Zelda.

And I'm not attacking the controls of Red Steel. I'm criticizing the blatant attempt of stealing peoples money using a poor FPS to showcase the Wii controller.

Nintendo should be about the games. They always have been...

General Kaliero
Yet your only "evidence" that Red Steel is a "poor FPS" is comparing it to the recent best of the genre.

I still don't understand what you have against the game, except an apparent dislike of the controller. In which case, your disappointment should be with the console itself, not a third-party game developed for it.

Why would the controls take away from the game? It's like saying analog sticks were the sole reason of the first 3D games, just to show off what analog could do.

Lyna303
does this mean that nintendo is planning to create more teen directed games?

Smasandian
I was referring to the B button replacing the directional pad for arrow strikes.

Zelda is apparently making full use of the controller to goodness. However they're not making the game about the controller. They're making the game about Zelda.

And I'm not attacking the controls of Red Steel. I'm criticizing the blatant attempt of stealing peoples money using a poor FPS to showcase the Wii controller.

Nintendo should be about the games. They always have been...

I'm sorry to say, but you cannot say the game is poor or shit if the game hasnt come out yet or even more so that nonbody has reviewed the game or played the final build.

Know what? With this reason, Im going to say Metal Gear Solid 4 is a piece of shit because its only graphics not gameplay.

One question?
If the game was Half Life 2 for the Wii, would you say the same thing?

MadMel
i agree with smas...you havent played the game, so how could you 'criticise it' as you call it...and calling me a fanboy is BS, you havent stated anything better..your posts were just as opiniative as my posts..

Morridini
Anyone of u from America gonna get it now that the Wii launches? if so tell us Europeans about it.

office jesus
Yeah. They didn't have time to calibrate it correctly. It looks fkn awsome. While the graphics aren't as flashy as everyone else..it's the gameplay that matters.

Spartan005
It got a 5.5 on Gamespot......

J-Beowulf
Yeah Gamespot apparently dislike it a lot.

They even gave the new Zelda a 8.8... that shocked everyone.

Phat J
anybody played it yet?

IceJaw
Originally posted by Spartan005
It got a 5.5 on Gamespot...... What about IGN and the others?

Spartan005
Originally posted by IceJaw
What about IGN and the others?

Hmm.... IGN didn't give the game an official rating yet, but the overall score for the reader's average was an 8.0

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by J-Beowulf
Yeah Gamespot apparently dislike it a lot.

They even gave the new Zelda a 8.8... that shocked everyone.

it was 9.5 the last time i checked?

Spartan005
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
it was 9.5 the last time i checked?

Not on gamespot... probably IGN is what you're thinking of

J-Beowulf
www.gamerankings.com

Shows a net average for every review of every game.

Red Steel is very, very low.

SaTsuJiN
only nintendo can showcase their hardware properly at the moment..

and lol @ the "glorified lazer pointer" comment... it has a gyroscope aside from that you know... meaning it detects how the controller itself is being handled in 3d space... Ps3 with their silver painted wiimote ripoff...lmao.. oh and GG to bluray.. overhyped garbage with 1 minute search times... /yawn...how much storage do they need when their games dont even fill half of a DVD rom yet?.. *cricket chirp*

interactivity is a large part of gaming... not to be confused with the
true gimmick that is pokemon card battle garbage (via Eyetoy creator), and thefted ideas from other companies (silver painted controller) and the endless sequel rehash syndrome..

the only thing I see ps3 offering at this point is graphics... even then you're gonna be sittin through blu rays bloated with FMV... enjoy big grin

InnerRise
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
only nintendo can showcase their hardware properly at the moment..

and lol @ the "glorified lazer pointer" comment... it has a gyroscope aside from that you know... meaning it detects how the controller itself is being handled in 3d space... Ps3 with their silver painted wiimote ripoff...lmao.. oh and GG to bluray.. overhyped garbage with 1 minute search times... /yawn...how much storage do they need when their games dont even fill half of a DVD rom yet?.. *cricket chirp*

interactivity is a large part of gaming... not to be confused with the
true gimmick that is pokemon card battle garbage (via Eyetoy creator), and thefted ideas from other companies (silver painted controller) and the endless sequel rehash syndrome..

the only thing I see ps3 offering at this point is graphics... even then you're gonna be sittin through blu rays bloated with FMV... enjoy big grin I used to play Pokemon Cards and I'll have you know it's a very fun game.

Know why???

BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO CATCH THEM ALL D@MNIT!!!!! ranting

Although I never played for Keepsies. Nobody was getting my Dark Magician.............oh wait.............that's Yu-Gi-Oh!.........yeah I played that too. blush

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Morridini
So has anyone gotten the game and are able to agree or disagree with the very low scores Red Steel seem to be getting?

BackFire
The scores aren't low really, they're kinda all over the place. Some places have given it an 8 out of ten, some a 5, some a 7.

SaTsuJiN
I'm guessing because everyone has the same "just a gimmick" attitude... if I ever get a wii I'll give red steel a rent..

although I'm guessing the sword swings are sorta preset..

the gunplay seems to get the most use out of the wiimote...

from what I can tell the graphics are sub-par
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/redsteel/screenindex.html

the review is the first video when you scroll down
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2624

MadMel
i have to choose between this or farcry..
damn cant decide confused

((The_Anomaly))
Ok, here's my two cents on Red Steel.

At first this game seems rather unintuitive, the controls seem kinda sloppy. However, after about 30 mins into the game you really start to get the hang of this game and how the controls work, and let me tell you, this is the most fun I've personally had with a FPS since Doom 3. Actually this might be the most fun I've had with a FPS since Goldeneye 007 on N64...lol.

The main thing about this game is that there is a definitive learning curve, and it takes a bit to get used to. I think some people just give up on it too quick because its not something you can exactly pick up and play amazingly with finesse right from the get go. However, I've played through 5 hours of the game now and I'm rockin at this game, I can get head shots on the fly while taking cover and then running over shooting taking more cover, its really enjoyable to do and the environments are VERY destructible and its just cool when you pop up, run for the next cover point and then pop someone in the head on the fly all the while 6 other guys are shooting at you and there are bullets flying all over the place and boxes and glass and general shrapnel is just flying all around you and explosions (WOW the explosions are friggin awesome in this game!), its really awesome once you get the hang of it. Another cool thing is that you can only pretty much get shot 4 times on average before you die, but this game features a rechargeable life gauge like Halo 2. So after about 5-10 seconds of taking cover then your life goes back up. Since you die fast it really feels like you cant just run and gun (unlike Halo), you've gotta take cover, and lots of it and time your shots (the enemies are marksmen and hit you A LOT). Plus being able to flip you gun on its side "gangsta style" (pistols and submachine guns only) is just really cool, its nice to be able to flip your guns around and see what they look like. The slow down "bullet time" ability is pretty sweet and useful too. Grenades are sweet, you throw with the nunchuck and you can throw over or under hand (extremly cool to throw underhand in a game for once) Basically, once you've got the gun-play down, this game is really awesome.

Next is the swordplay. At first (like the gun-play) it seems rather drab and not exciting at all. But like the gun-play the sword fighting gets REALLY fun when later in the game once you learn new abilities and get the hang of it. The swordplay is fun but you've gotta give it some time (more so then the gun-play even). There are a few intense battles that are nerve racking at get you swinging the remote around like you mean it, one fight in particular took me 16 tries to beat and each time took an average of 5 mins to get through (or rather die). It was as this fight that the intricacies of the swordplay became blatantly apparent to me, and they're good and more importantly, very fun.

The graphics are beautiful in this game, the art style is superb and the lighting mixed with the art style looks pretty sweet, some areas in this game are pretty cool. Nothing JUMPS out at you as "WOW" as far as I've seen yet (but I'm only done 35% of the game mind you) But you start to realise that everything in the game looks awesome. The particle effects and bullet spray and dust that flies up everywhere when your in a fire fight really looks great, but no place is beyond amazing and nothing is like "Gears of War" good looking. But then this is a WAY different art style then Gears so whatever. Let it also be said that the explosions are phenomenal, possibly the best I've seen...EVER in a video game. To the point: the game as a whole looks really really great.

The music is amazing, and really I could say go listen for yourself but I'll give some details anyways. Its kind of a mix of Kill Bill with Japanese pop and techno. Its dramatic, and quite possibly the best part of the game. I'd want the soundtrack to this game if I could find it. Its good.

My beef: his game is WAY underrated. The scores given by critics are IMO not indicative of how awesome this game is, I'd have gave this game this based on the IGN rating system:

Presentation: 9.5

This game is just cool, its a very Kill Bill-esq style of game, lots of cool things are to be seen and had in this game. Its just cool.

Graphics: 9

It looks awesome, particle effects are superb and destructible environments are a real bonus. Still, its not a PS3 or a Xbox360 game, so its not HD supreme good, but for the Wii, its the best looking game by far. (as the textures and lighting are even better then Zelda) I'd have given it an 8.5, but the explosions in the game are just too good, so it gets a 9.

Sound: 9

The music is amazing, the voice acting isnt as good though. The actual in game sound is very good, gun noises are nice and the Wiimote speaker is utilized well (but not overdone like Zelda). Generally the game sounds slick.

Gameplay: 8

I'd have given it a higher rating but it does take a while to get used to everything, and it takes a while for everything to pick up because of this. If your willing to invest aout 3 hours of learning, then it becomes pretty sweet.

Lasting Appeal: 7.5

I have yet to finish it, but I'm at 5 hours and 35% through the game. So I'm making an educated guess of about 15 hours of game time. Not bad for a FPS, but not good either. The multi-player is actually really really fun. But split screen is getting old, if the Big N would have had online play up for launch, I could have seen myself investing a lot of time into online play. But alas no such feature.

Overall: (this is not an average) 8.7

InnerRise
i have to choose between this or farcry..
damn cant decide confused There's no competition.

There's no decision needed to be made here.

You know what you must do.

MadMel
just on multiplayer and online play, nintnedo should be able to use wii-connect 24 to download "patches" overnight, including updates that allow online play........right?? confused

((The_Anomaly))
Is no one reading my review? sad

MadMel
i replied to it ^^

Originally posted by InnerRise
There's no competition.

There's no decision needed to be made here.

You know what you must do.

thanks...that helped..
ill get far cry..

((The_Anomaly))
i replied to it ^^

thanks...that helped..
ill get far cry..

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

MadMel
LOL..afraid you cant stop me..

((The_Anomaly))
Oh well...your loss. Red Steel is my favorite FPS in almost 10 years.

InnerRise
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Is no one reading my review? sad I read enough where I got the jist of it. But it still cannot sway me toward Red Steel. I've just seen/heard too many bad things about it.

Sorry. dodgy

i replied to it ^^

thanks...that helped..
ill get far cry..
You pass my young grasshopper. doped

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad
YYYYEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! evillaugh

((The_Anomaly))
I read enough where I got the jist of it. But it still cannot sway me toward Red Steel. I've just seen/heard too many bad things about it.

Sorry.

You pass my young grasshopper.

YYYYEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! evillaugh

What bad things have you heard exactly?

MadMel
thank you, my idioti----er.....master...
dont worry anomaly, ill get red steel later..i promise you..

InnerRise
First off. The Hyped of Sword play is said to be awful and that's not hard to imagine.

The story isn't that good.

The voice acting is bad.

The dialogue itself awful.

The game-play is nothing new. Same old same old. The only thing that redeems it at all is the new Wii Controller. Without that, it wouldn't have anything going for it.

InnerRise
dont worry anomaly, ill get red steel later..i promise you.. What was that. glare

The last time I extend my when a fellow gamer is in need. mhm

((The_Anomaly))
dont worry anomaly, ill get red steel later..i promise you..

Actually my advice to you is to rent it first. It might not be your cup-O-tea.

I was really sad about the bad reviews of Red Steel too. And I had given up all hope of buying it, it turned into an "oh well I guess it sucks...thats a shame" in my mind, but then I rented it just for kicks.

Me personally, Well I have to take my rented copy back tomorrow, but I'm immediately going from Blockbuster to EB to buy Red Steel.

The reviews, IMO, are just wrong. This game is at least an 8.5. Matt on IGN admitted too that a lot of his friends had gotten past the initial control difficulties and are really enjoying the game. I think this is the best way of putting it.

MadMel
yay..cant wait for wii, farcry, sports and (hopefully) exitetruck

((The_Anomaly))
AAAANNDDD Red Steel....right....right! wink

InnerRise
I'll be getting Zelda, Rayman/Rabbits, and Excite Truck just to mix it up a bit.

Mišt
Red steel is a definite launch buy, should I happen to get a Wii.

Anomaly, any vids featuring explosions? Wouldnt mind taking a look...

InnerRise

Mišt
Nah...Red Steel always appealed to me from the start, and none of the other consoles have any games that interest me as much.

InnerRise
Yeah, before all of he bad crap about Red Steel came out, I along with many others were really excited about it.

Since I'm not getting it now, I'd like to get FarCry to take it's place, but I don't know enough about it yet.

MadMel
check ign http://au.wii.ign.com/objects/846/846381.html

InnerRise
check ign http://au.wii.ign.com/objects/846/846381.html Well I'll just put Far Cry on my Christmas List and see what happens.

((The_Anomaly))

Ushgarak
Well, I've caved in and ordered it. I was very sceptical about this, but now there has been some better feedback, and the ign Australian/UK review at ign review was totally at contrary to the earlier one... and... well, basically., this is quite an important test bed game for the Wii experience. I am sure it won't be so bad that I'll think it's a total waste. Average will do me.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, I've caved in and ordered it. I was very sceptical about this, but now there has been some better feedback, and the ign Australian/UK review at ign review was totally at contrary to the earlier one... and... well, basically., this is quite an important test bed game for the Wii experience. I am sure it won't be so bad that I'll think it's a total waste. Average will do me. scared

Morridini
I'm torn between either getting Red Steel or Twilight Princess for laucnch.

PVS
this game kinda sucks

InnerRise
Originally posted by Morridini
I'm torn between either getting Red Steel or Twilight Princess for laucnch. no expression

MadMel
Originally posted by PVS
this game kinda sucks
u played it i gather then..

Ushgarak
I now own this, my first Wii game! yayyyyyy!

Not that the Wii is out in the UK yet. No sign of it being dispatched to me yet either. Come on, Play...

Mišt
Wii is incredibly low priced, Im amazed at it. Xbox 360 games cost up to $120 at launch, Red Steel is only $79, and the console is only $389. I think I will end up getting one sometime soon, just started a new job so Im all set droolio ($=AU)

When does it come out in UK? Came out today for us here.

Morridini
edit - wrong thread

InnerRise

Ushgarak
Hmm. having control issues with this game. Not the obvious- got to get used to that- but the pointer keeps flickering back to the middle of the screen. I did hear rumours that happened insome games, but I had heard Call of Duty, not Red Steel.

And in a delicate aiming game like this, that is DAMN awkward.

Doesn't seem to happen in any other part of the Wii experience, yet.

InnerRise
So what's your opinion on the overall game thus far?

Do you regret your purchase?

Ushgarak
The game is just fine. Nothing spectacular but worth the money.

The glitch trouble I have is more worrisome.

MadMel
i got this game (farcry wasnt out yet), and its really good..it takes a while to get used to the controls, and the AI is a bit cheap, but apart from that, its very worth getting..
i havent any glitch troubles...whats the prob ush..??

General Kaliero
Well, I gave Red Steel much more of a chance tonight... and I have to say I'm fairly impressed. Got more used to the controls, and decided that yes, this is a decent shooting setup.

I enjoy the sword duels more, though. Something about 'em just works, once you get used to the small delay. I'd like to see a game that expands on that mechanic with some more depth. Who knows, maybe that's the sort of thing we'll get with Swords of Legendia.

((The_Anomaly))
i got this game (farcry wasnt out yet), and its really good..it takes a while to get used to the controls, and the AI is a bit cheap, but apart from that, its very worth getting..
i havent any glitch troubles...whats the prob ush..??

HA! I told you! Red Steel is good! Buhahaha! smokin'

And yea, what glitches are we talking about? I've experienced none either.

Ushgarak
My glitch issue is outlined above.

((The_Anomaly))
I'm torn between either getting Red Steel or Twilight Princess for laucnch.

If you can, get both. If you HAVE to choose one, then its a no brainer. Get Zelda, its beyond amazing.

Morridini
Well I think I will get Red Steel (my local Game store managed to screwup the shipments of Wii to my city, it got sent somewhere else, so I am still waiting for it to get here) as it has multiplayer. However I will get the one I don't buy now for Christmas.

General Kaliero
Ush, I've started having the same issue. Seems to happen mostly when the pointer crosses the horizontal, like the game's having trouble keeping track of the axis or something.

Another thing I'm having trouble with is in Harry's Bar, I can't seem to engage Takashi Ito in conversation. The guy with the nervous twitch at the right end of the bar? I figure I have to stand in exactly the right spot, but I can't find it. Or is this just another glitch?

InnerRise
Well yes, Farcry wasn't out yet it seems. I still will not give in to the abomination which is Red Steel. wink

I've just heard too many bad things.

I'm glad yall can enjoy it though. It woul suck for all of you to had gotten it and then not like it.

General Kaliero
You could always rent it, couldn't you? It's well worth at least a try, if not a permanent buy (that would take online multiplayer).

InnerRise
I haven't rented a game/dvd/anything in so long. I'm a strictly buy kind of person.

I'll seriously give it some thought though ok.

Smasandian
I never did either since I was a kid

But new games nowadays are soo ****ing expansive, its really kinda of worthess to buy a game that you want to play, but might not a month down the road.

I only buy games I really really want, and rent games that I feel like playing.

General Kaliero
Oh, Ush, I found that switching the remote volume off fixes the jumping pointer. No idea WHY, but that's what's causing the problem.

Boy the poor speaker sure isn't getting much good rep, is it?

InnerRise
What other problems has the speaker been said to have?

Ushgarak
Hmm!

(will try)

Thanks GK!

I haven't had any other problems with the speaker, so long as you turn it down. It's too tinny for high volume.

InnerRise
I had no idea you could adjust the volume.

PVS
u played it i gather then..

yeah. why...was i not supposed to have? in fact i own it, unfortunately.
sorry to shatter your segway into a flame post

anyway, ush, to choose this or any game over zelda is blashphemy.
hang your head in shame! mad

Ushgarak
Err, who the hell told you I was not playing Zelda?

GK- sorry, didn't help.

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I now own this, my first Wii game! yayyyyyy!

deductive reasoning

General Kaliero
So what, people can only own Wii games one at a time?

Ush- Darn. Dunno what's up with yours, then, because I've tested it repeatedly. Sound on = pointer twitch, sound off = none.

InnerRise
Are yall actually playing with your Wiis around these moments?

I'm at college, which means the only Wii that I have to play with is.........confused..........let's just say it has a different spelling but it's still a Wii. erm

General Kaliero
You dirty, dirty person. no expression

Ushgarak
Originally posted by PVS
deductive reasoning

It arrived first. Deductive reasoning would also have shown you that earlier in the thread I only ordered this very recently, compared to the bulk of my Wii orders which were months ago.

It might be lessened, GK. But it still seemed to happen. I'll let you know how it goes.

InnerRise
I'm not playing with it though. I choose not to.

The controller stick isn't detachable and it has no buttons. no expression

Morridini
Just got Red Steel. It seems interesting, although the control system was a bit weird. I felt like a drunk maniac with a gun throughout the first level.

MadMel
turst me, when you learn the freeze time thing, this game is a hell of a lot more fun and and much easier :d..

Ushgarak
Actually, GK, that might have helped after all. Certainly lessened. Thanks.

This game crashed on me today. Boo.

Morridini
This game sure has its share of bugs. Most annoying is the "cursor jump to center" bug and that sometimes the sounds disappears (this has happened at some of the sword fights, where I don't hear them talk, and after the fun map Games (where u had to do all of the crazy rabbit quests) the "cut-scene" had no sound.).

General Kaliero
I experienced my first Red Steel game-stopping glitch today. trying to jump onto a large box, and ended up inside the box. Had to go back to the last checkpoint.

Ushgarak
Yes, it does seem to have been a bit rushed.

Is the cursor bug becoming more common knowledge, then? My worry is that I have not heard much else about it.

Morridini
Well I seem to get the cursor bug now and then, but it's just a small inconvenience, not something that hinders my gameplay.

MadMel
how far away from the sensor bar are you?? in ft..

Morridini
No idea, somewhere between 1.5 meters to 3 meters. If I remember correctly then 1 meter= 3ft making it 4.5ft to 9 ft.

MadMel
try standing less than 9 ft away...even though it should reach a maximum limit of about 10ft..

Morridini
Well I said 4.5ft to 9ft, meaning 9ft is my maximum length. As for maximum limit, its much more then 10ft, I tried to go to the other side of the house and swing the remote, and my sister told me that the game still swung the bat in Baseball, this was even through 3 walls.

InnerRise
So the consensus is that Red Steel is a good game overall huh?

Whodathunkit? shrug

Morridini
It's hard to say. it's not the flop that most reviews want us to believe it is. It's fun to play, and even tho the multiplayer is fairly simple (death match and 4 maps) it's still fun to fight your friends with this control-style. Mostly I have to believe that most of the bad reviews come from people too lazy to learn the control system, meaning that they try it a while without ever getting the hang of it and thus can appreciate it. However if u live in a country where it is possible to rent Wii games u should rather rent it before buying.

MadMel
Well I said 4.5ft to 9ft, meaning 9ft is my maximum length. As for maximum limit, its much more then 10ft, I tried to go to the other side of the house and swing the remote, and my sister told me that the game still swung the bat in Baseball, this was even through 3 walls.
the sensor bar (shooters) and the tilt sensor (wii sport, exite truck) are two different things
the limit for the sensor bar, which is used to make the pointer for aiming etc has a limit of about 10 ft..
the tilt sensor has no limit as far as i can tell erm
also, (to the above post) as soon as you learn the freeze time thing, the game becomes much easier..

((The_Anomaly))
So the consensus is that Red Steel is a good game overall huh?

Whodathunkit? shrug

Yea and Thank God some of you people got it rather then waiting for Far Cry. It got a 4/10 from IGN.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html

MadMel
lemme gues - it was all about graphics
*reads* OMG...what a suprise roll eyes (sarcastic)

Morridini
also, (to the above post) as soon as you learn the freeze time thing, the game becomes much easier..

Kinda learned that ages ago.

Yea and Thank God some of you people got it rather then waiting for Far Cry. It got a 4/10 from IGN.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html

So any release date for it yet?

InnerRise

http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html Yeah, I finally realized that FarCry wasn't out yet and I finally found and read a review and I definitely don't plan on getting it.

I also still don't plan on getting Red Steel, so I guess I'll have to wait longer to purchase my first Shooter.

Morridini
Well that WWII game Call of Duty 3 got an average of 7.5 when looking at:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=3234
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/callofduty3/index.html
http://wii.ign.com/objects/815/815492.html

So there u got a shooter that isn't being totally slaughtered.

InnerRise
Yeah, being that I don't own any shooters, I don't think that's a good first shooter for me.

I'm definitely not into War shooters, so I should start off with something more different, interesting and fun.

Thanks though.

MadMel
hmm...i dont mind any shooter, as long as has some kind of multiplayer..

Morridini
Yeah, being that I don't own any shooters, I don't think that's a good first shooter for me.

I'm definitely not into War shooters, so I should start off with something more different, interesting and fun.

Thanks though.

Totally understand u, never been any fan of the billions upon billions of War games (where 99% are WWII), however that doesn't mean that this one won't be good.

Blaxican
Ditto. CoD and MoH are completely over rated. You can only kill Germans and Japanese for so long before it gets old.

Smasandian
They're not overated at all.

They provide excellent action with some pretty good MP to boot.

It's getting tired because of the subject matter, but they're not overrated/

Morridini
10 hours 43 minutes and 47 seconds to complete the game.

MadMel
i found the weirdest glitch with this..
when i found mama-san and her 2 masked man, i killed one, the the other ran off..i followed him, and ended up at the 2nd geisha house..i go in, and now i have to rescue the geishas over again mad..same bad guys, same sword fights and everything mad

((The_Anomaly))
Yeah, I finally realized that FarCry wasn't out yet and I finally found and read a review and I definitely don't plan on getting it.

I also still don't plan on getting Red Steel, so I guess I'll have to wait longer to purchase my first Shooter.

Metroid Prime 3....wait for it, it will own.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.