Her Full Name

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theEviljedi
I just realized something... Leia's full name is Leia Naberrie Skywalker Oragana Solo.laughing out loud And that's not even counting her middle name.laughing out loud

Gundark
I guess you could throw "princess" in with all that too. laughing out loud

Ratcat
Bet it's a ***** when she has to get stationary printed. laughing out loud

theEviljedi
And just think what would happen if she dumped Han and got married to another man.laughing out loud

UnknownBountyHunter
I wonder what her checks look like! laughing out loud

Dim
HUH?..her name isn't really all that is it?...naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

UnknownBountyHunter
Wait, Dim is correct. Technically you don't carry down the mother's maiden name to your children. So it is only Leia Skywalker Organa Solo. I thought that Padme was merely a "second personality" if you will. Is her real last name Naberrie? Either way, Leia's real name is just Leia Skywalker Organa Solo.

theEviljedi
Some do and I believe that Courtney Cox-Arquette will do so when she and David have a child.

finti
Technically her name wouldn`t be Organa either.

JediOasis
Actually, I think it would be Organa, but not Skywalker. She was adopted under the name Organa and never officially took the name Skywalker.

UnknownBountyHunter
Take? Its not a matter of take, she gets it because that's her father's name. As for carrying down the mother's maiden name, I don't think so. wink

JediOasis
Well, yeah, but she was adopted as an Organa. If you were adopted but then found out your parents real name would you switch it back?

UnknownBountyHunter
Yeah

JediOasis
okay smile

Admiral Kettch
Even if you're father had killed billions of people, and was widely seen as the most evil person in the universe?

finti
He did that under the name of Vader not Skywalker!!!!

Admiral Kettch
He's still the same man.

Dim
That makes you wonder how many people actually know Vader's real name...It's probaby that not very many do..give the Sith dual name system.

queeq
Most of those who knew his real name are probably dead by the time of ANH.

Ratcat
Actually UBH, I think that's a rather uninformed answer to give. If you grew up with a name and then, at the age of 23 where told that the name you had and and grown up witt was not the name of your blood parent ai don't think you would change it. You have to remember the following facts.

1) Leia found it hard enough to believe in the first place
2) Being in the public eye as Leia was and, if we include EU, went on to be, to make a name change at that time would have been a political nightmare for her.

And in real life, many adoptees who later learn that they are adopted as infants do not revert their names. Normally the reason is that they feel it would be a slap in the face for the adoptive parents who raised them.

Even if the adoptive parents are dead, it is still a way to honour and thank them for everything they did for you.

Dim
Yes..plus your name becomes a big part of you..regardless of linkage to birth.

Gundark
I agree with RC. Even though Leia's birth parents were dead (or at least both thought to be) and her adoptive were destroyed with Alderaan, she would have kept her adoptive name. There just would have been no positive reason to change it.

Ratcat
Assuming she was 18 at the start of ANH, which I believe Lucas has stated, then according to the Lucas timeline she was 22 when she found out. If we consider that she may be born in Episode-III, that will make her 24 when she found out.

Jeezz, I hate reverse chronological lookups!!!smile

Zareil
Leia out of respect for family titles decide to retain their names, similarly to how some women decide to retain their family surname anyway when marrying. Anyway I believed particularly as she is reffered to as in the cast list as Padme, that Amidala was a dignitary name that was given to her when she was voted in as the Queen

Ushgarak
Sounds like a good point to me.

Zareil
Actually froom that I have a question, how does a democratically arranged monarchy work. I mean surely this misses the entire point or else within a few centuries everyone on the planet will be royal. Queen Amidala has children obviously they are royal even if she steps down and becomes the Queen Mother whilst a new royal family on the planet is voted in. Marriage on the Planet would eventually lead to a host of royalty...

Ushgarak
That's GLs comprehension of politics, for you. It's what comes of wanting to import classic themes into a utopian society.

Zareil
Well I suppose it depends on your point of view, now Plato had suggested that every one no matter your station should be a part of politics, However he said that you will remain perpetually within a chosen station. This looks more Socrates style suggesting that from Plato's argument that every man may have his hour...

finti
She is an elected queen, when elected to an title/office that title does not get inherited. Plato and Socrates out of my league.

Edna witch
You know if you are going to be that picky about it thn you will have to trace back her lineage to the biginning of time and put the maiden names of all the wives in there. And when have you ever heard of anyone who is adopted keeping their real father's surname? When she is adopted she takes the names of her new parents. No questions asked. So her name is Leia Organna Solo.

Admiral Kettch
And that's the name she uses, so there really is no argument.

Zareil
That is the point, that may have been her name, but given that she seemed having lost her office just returned to the name of Padme Naberre, then it is possible that Amidala is the term for the Democratic position even if also applying a paradoxical monarchical station as well. As to changing her name, one interesting point is that whilst in theory she could become a skywalker, well Luke and Leia both know they had parents but at no point is it even vaguely insinuated that they were married.

JediOasis
This topic started off to be a joke.....it has been taken way to seriously.

Zareil
oops sorry.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.