Burnout: Paradise

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AstroFan
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/728/728950p1.html

OH HELL YEAH!!!

H. S. 6
Originally posted by AstroFan
OH HELL YEAH!!!

Smasandian
At first before I read that, I saw the title and I was like, " oh come on, another one." ( Didnt really like the last one that much, its too repetitive.

But after I read that, I was like, "It might be good".

AstroFan
After finally seeing this game in motion, it looks sweet. stick out tongue

Still not sure how they are gonna pull off an open world in Burnout, but im pumped. Hopefully some customization and more online features will be included.

I cant wait to go to Paradise. stick out tongue

EDIT: Maybe Lana would be nice enough to change the title of this thread to Burnout Paradise to avoid multiples. wink

Morridini
I'm going to keep an eye out for this one aswell it seems.

Here are some vids:
E3 gameplay footage (pre-alpha): http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21413.html

E3 interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21521.html

Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/19018.html

Impediment
I just downloaded the Burnout Paradise demo for PS3. It's absolute f*cking eye candy! The handling, while not perfect, is very reliable. The soundtrack, which is posted in the Wiki article, 90% sucks, but that's probably because I'm a metal head. I might consider this game. It's very fun online with friends, especially the Takedown matches. It looks very promising. yes

FYI, here's the current playlist:

Adam And The Ants - Stand And Deliver
Agent Blue - Snowhill
Airbourne - Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast
Alice In Chains - Would?
Army Of Me - Going Through Changes
Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
B’z - FRICTION
Brain Failure feat. Dicky Barrett - Coming Down To Beijing
Brand New - The Archers Bows Have Broken
Bromheads Jacket - Fight Music For The Fight
Depeche Mode - Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix)
Faith No More - Epic
Guns N’ Roses - Paradise City
Innerpartysystem - Heart Of Fire
Jane's Addiction - Stop!
Jimmy Eat World - Electable (Give It Up)
Junkie XL feat. Lauren Rocket - Cities In Dust
Jupiter One - Fire Away
Kerli - Creepshow
Killswitch Engage - My Curse
LCD Soundsystem - Us V. Them
Make Good Your Escape - Beautiful Ruin
Maxeen - Block Out The World
Mexicolas - Come Clean
N.E.R.D. - Rockstar (Jason Nevins Mix)
Never Heard Of It - Finger On The Trigger
Operator - Nothing To Lose
Permanent ME - Until You Leave
Saosin - Collapse
Seether - Fake It
Senses Fail - Calling All Cars
Showing Off To Thieves - Everyone Has Their Secrets
Skybombers - It Goes Off
Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
Sugarcult - Dead Living
Swervedriver - Duel
The Photo Atlas - Red Orange Yellow
The Pigeon Detectives- I’m Not Sorry
The Styles - Glitter Hits (J.J. Puig Mix)
Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock

Originally posted by @st
Maybe Lana would be nice enough to change the title of this thread to Burnout Paradise to avoid multiples. wink

I second the motion. Lana, or GK, you think that y'all could edit the thread title to avoid confusion? Pweeeeze? eyes

Neo Darkhalen
Ah yes Burnout Paradise...sounds promising.

@st
Originally posted by Impediment
I just downloaded the Burnout Paradise demo for PS3. It's absolute f*cking eye candy! The handling, while not perfect, is very reliable. The soundtrack, which is posted in the Wiki article, 99% sucks, but that's probably because I'm a metal head. I might consider this game. It's very fun online with friends, especially the Takedown matches. It looks very promising. yes

I second the motion. Lana, or GK, you think that y'all could edit the thread title to avoid confusion? Pweeeeze? eyes

I downloaded the demo, and it was good, but its got me a little worried. Im not a fan of the open world, and things like taking away the aftertouch. It might not be a big deal when the map opens up in the real game, but I kept getting lost and running into dead ends since there is no set path.

Impediment
To me, open world makes for a better experience since half of the fun is familiarizing yourself with the massive environment. When GTA III came out, I was lost for days, but then after playing non-stop for a week or two, Liberty City became very familar to me.

@st
Yeah, im still picking it up day one, im a huge Burnout guy. Im hoping when I get the real thing, and the whole city is open from the get go, ill be able to get comfortable. Like you said, its absolute eye candy, and the new crash physics are amazing. I like the prospect of finding hidden places and secrets all over the map. stick out tongue

Impediment
Aside from the Mario Kart series and Motorstorm, I've never been too into racing games. I've never even played a single Burnout game. This installment, however, has really piqued my interest.

@st
You should check out a copy of Burnout Revenge, very cool. stick out tongue

Morridini
It's still Gold only exclusive?

Smasandian
Probably.

Actually, I would think it is because its online and MS would never let a game be free over Live.

Morridini
Meant the demo, ir's a Gold only demo atm.

Smasandian
Oh really?

I guess I still have Gold.

Morridini
Well maybe not now, haven't checked in a while thus I asked.

((The_Anomaly))
I'd just like to say that the Demo of this game is totally badass. The full version is going to be awesome. This is from someone who a) doesn't like car games all that much and b) never even touched a Burnout game before. I'll be buying this game when it comes out for sure, the Demo totally kicks ass and really sold me on the game, which is rare for a Demo.

Impediment
I agree.

I've never played a single Burnout game, nor have I ever been a racing gamer.

I might just become one, with this new installment of Burnout. hmm

Smasandian
I never been an Burnout fan.

I like racing real cars more than fake ones. I know, its very materlistic but **** off!! haha

Morridini
Yey, demo is for all now.

I usually don't like racing games, Mario Kart being the exception, and the occasionally F-Zero, but the Burnout games have always stood out. Because they don't only care about boring driving, but about crashes etc, and after testing the BP demo a lot I'm starting to look forward to this game. Not entirely sure if I will get it or not, but a strong possibility.

Smasandian
I'm probalby going to rent sooner or later.

I always find Burnout to be a good 2 day rental but I get bored after.

BackFire
The demo was pretty impressive, I may purchase it.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Smasandian
I never been an Burnout fan.

I like racing real cars more than fake ones. I know, its very materlistic but **** off!! haha

I on the other hand like smashing crap into other crap. Which is why this game rocks.

Smasandian
True that.

Impediment
I need to screw around more with the online features before I make a definitive decision to buy this awesome game.

Morridini
So just curious, have they stated that there will be no real multiplayer (split-screen)? If it is only online multiplayer, then that definitely lowers teh chances of me buying this. Having a racing game I would like to be able to play it with friends if they come to visit, considering not everyone else have a 360 (can 360 owners play against PS3 owners?).

@st
Gamestop has it listed as Players 1-2.

No 360ers cant play PS3ers. lol

Morridini
Then that's something that needs to be fixed, if games go more and more the online route. PS3, 360 and PC players should be able to play together.

As for initial question, I don't trust statements like that, that's like believing Amazon release dates. Need proof.

@st
I can see PC playing 360 players, but I dont think we will ever see 360 vs PS3. I dont think Sony or Microsoft would endorse it.

Blax_Hydralisk
Ya see, this is why "@st"s can't be president. They don't think outside the box.

He's right though Sony and Microsoft would never do it, even if it did most likely mean double the sales.

@st
Id love for games to go online cross platform, saves me from convincing friends to buy everything on xbox.

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah, I would to. It would be awsome to kick someones ass on a different platform.

@st
"Take me down to the paradise city."

Anyone picking it up today? I am. big grin

InnerRise
Burnout Revenge really pulled me in and was the first Racing Game that I ever purchased and caused me to question my "Non-Racing Fanism".

With that said, they've changed it all up now and I'll wait and see what's said before I make a decision. Besides that, there are other games coming out that I know I want, so it'll be a while if I ever get this game.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

@st
Yeah they have changed a lot, but pretty much every review says, "its still Burnout". big grin

I want to start unlocking cars so I can go online and collect mugshots. evil face

Impediment
I'll buy it this weekend, since I'm expecting some money by then. I can't wait.

@st
I gotta say, my fears are gone. The full game is much much better than what the demo lead me to believe. Having the full map, all the events, and the ability to do whatever I want is incredible. I havent had the problems reviewers have been mentioning about gettnig lost, but im not in the insanely fast cars.

@st
Sorry, had to.

My first victim. evil face

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Astrofan428/owned.jpg

Morridini
Any split-screen?

Also, how did you take that screen-shot?

@st
Originally posted by Morridini
Any split-screen?

Also, how did you take that screen-shot?

I took a pic of my screen with a digital camera. stick out tongue I didnt notice anyway to play splitscreen, once you startup you go through the intro and then you start playing, never an option to play splitscreen.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Revenge Rivals system online from the 360 version of Revenge was brought back. I hadnt heard anything about it leading up to the game, so I was thrilled to see it back, thats the reason I loved Revenge 360 the best.

Morridini
Darn it, I won't be getting this game then.

@st
Yeah, they seem to have gone into this game with the assumption most players would be online ready, its a bold move and one I like, but it will be off putting to some. If I remember later ill check out the box and see it it really is 1 player only.

Morridini
Make online multiplayer free of charge then I might even forgive the lack of SS.

@st
Get a PS3. stick out tongue

Morridini
Still not worth it.

@st
Nope. You better off paying the 50 bucks for live. stick out tongue

Morridini
Well I don't really get that much time to play these days, so not such a biggie yet.

Impediment
Does anyone have any good comment for this game? I'm not really a racing gamer, but I was blown away by the PS3 demo, and I'm considering this game as my next buy. I just wanted some good feedback, is all.

ragesRemorse
I hate racing sims. I dont like playing a game that feels like a chore and driving, to me, is a chore. Most racing games as of late have been complete sim...,even need for speed. I was disappointed with pro street and the last installment of burnout. Need for speed pro street made me feel as though i was playing a ghetto Turismo. The last Burnout game had me feeling exhausted with redundancy. I have been very tempted to add this game to my gamefly Q, after reading the user reviews on the site. Everyone raves about the damn game, but it seems much of the focus in their reviews is for the online portion. I dont do online, so, i was wondering if someone could tell me how the single player game holds up. Is it typical arcade burnout carnage?

InnerRise
I actually just downloaded this Demo and will be seeing how it is hopefully tonight to make my final decision as to whether I'll be buying this or not.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

InnerRise
I got bored with the Demo after a short while. I also didn't really get a feel for the actual game. I didn't come across any events or anything. The only thing I found that I was able to do was jump ramps and get those slow mo snap shots of my car in mid air.

I was put off that I wasn't able to "Check" other vehicles as well.

For those who have this game and have played online, are you able to race other players or do you just roam around the city together like a pack of wolves?

Spidervlad
Currently hooked on NBA Live 08, just sent my Unreal Tournament 3 back to Gamefly after playing it for a game. What a dissapointed Unreal Tournament 3 was for me... Next up in my GameQ is Burnout: Paradise, I hope they'll send me it next.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Currently hooked on NBA Live 08, just sent my Unreal Tournament 3 back to Gamefly after playing it for a game. What a dissapointed Unreal Tournament 3 was for me... Next up in my GameQ is Burnout: Paradise, I hope they'll send me it next.

do the unreal games offer a solo player story mode?

@st
Originally posted by Impediment
Does anyone have any good comment for this game? I'm not really a racing gamer, but I was blown away by the PS3 demo, and I'm considering this game as my next buy. I just wanted some good feedback, is all.

I love it. Its fast as hell, the city is huge, there is always something to do, the online is terrific. There are nags like not being able to restart, but wherever you end up, there is an event 2 seconds away. If you liked the demo, you will love the game. I hated the demo and the game is great to me. stick out tongue

Originally posted by InnerRise
For those who have this game and have played online, are you able to race other players or do you just roam around the city together like a pack of wolves?

You can do both, I only join races though. The freeburn acts as a lobby while you wait for the race to start.

FistOfThe North
You know, i wanted to wait till i beat Mass Effect to get this game. (which i beat yesterday evening) And now that i beat all 3 game and got my money's worth, I might trade in either Assassins Creed, COD4, and Mass Effect or 2 of them for Burnout.

Been waiting for this racer to come out for almost a year and i think i'll finally pick it up now.

Sucks that it doesn't have crash mode but i hope something in the game will make up for it.

@st
I was never a big fan of crash mode, the appeal wore after doing it again and again. I was always into the races and road rage kind of things, so the loss of crash mode doesnt bother me.

InnerRise
Had no idea they took out crash mode.

That sucks.

One would think they'd be able to really take advantage of it in THIS particular game.

@st
You have showtime mode, where at any moment you can send your car into a barrel roll which you can keep going and build up crashes as long as you have momentum and boost.

InnerRise
Oh ok. Well at least they have something like that in the game.

FistOfThe North
meh, ive decided to pick up burnoutstick out tonguearadise when i pick up Turok next tues.

I'll make one trip to Gamestop and pick 'em both up in one fell swoop. Plus i wanna play assasins creed and cod4 for the last time, for a bit. (before i trade 'em in)

ragesRemorse
This is one of the most aggravating games i have ever played. You play in a giant sandbox world map. In order to start a race or event. You must find a stop light and spin your wheels. This sounds like a good idea, need for speed with Burnout gameplay. I understand some people like this, but to me, it does nothing but slow the game down. Driving around the city finding lights which offer events respective to your car type is just a pain in the ass. If you come across a race or event that requires you use a different car. You must drive to a junkyard and replace your car, to the one respective to the race event you want to participate in. This wouldn't be entirely bad if you could use map markers showing you where to go. This brings me to one of the worst aspects of the game...,the map.
You have a small (standard) map on your HUD. This is usually cluttered with dozens of white lines, making it impossible to determine a vaild shortcut in the heat of a race. You also have to find gas stations, junkyards and repair shops to either refill your boost meter, acquire a different car or repair your damage.
It is usually harder than it needs to be to identify the colored icons to these specific outlets. They have a tendency to blend in. Most other games allow you to access the world map in the options screen and allow you to mark a specific area on the map with a marker. This marker is generally highlighted on your HUD in a bright and distinctive color. Unless, i havent realized how, you cannot do this in the game. Driving across the city to a junkyard just to acquire the specific car needed for a certain race is just unacceptable. Considering that you need to change cars quite often, you should be able to warp to these locations from your map screen. It just slows down the fast paced gameplay that Burnout is known for.
The other two things which have taken away from any fun that could have been had in this game are, The camera options and lack of restart. You have two camera options in the game, default or first person. Who uses first person..,i will never know. The default camera is set so extremely low to the ground you are looking directly, as though you are standing behind your car. You see such a small portion of the on coming traffic. When the cars often blend into the environments and graphics this makes things all the more frustrating. This doesnt make things challenging....,just hard and annoying. Most racing games have three different camera sets. High, medium and default (low) The previous Burnout games had a low sitting camera, but not this low.
Perhaps, the most annoying and surprising aspect of this game is the absence of the restart option. In previous installments of Burnout, you had the option to restart the race and event at any time. This was always especially helpful in burning laps. For some reason, The developers took this option away. You can no longer restart in mid race or event. This makes finding short cuts a chore rather than fun. Lets say, you are on a burning lap (route). You have 2 mins to get across the city. You have a bad start, maybe, you crash into something and you know you will not be able to make it. You can't restart until time runs out.
This game sacrificed the fun, fast and viscerale arcade experience for a more sim experience...,FVCK THAT

Morridini
So this new update sounds interesting: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39268.html

Motorcycles, weather effects and day and night cycle. And all for free for once.

Impediment
I plan to buy this game for PS3 when I get some money. I had the 360 version, but my console and games were stolen a few months ago. I just recently bought another PS3.

I really enjoyed this game, though. The map is friggin' huge, and takedown matches were too sick.

@stroFan
I still havent played since the update, but online Marked Man and Road Rage sounds awesome.

Impediment
The Force Unleashed will be my very next purchase. After that, I'll buy Burnout. Again.

Morridini
So since my friend just got Paradise I begun playing this game again. It's a hell of a lot more fun now that I have someone to play with online, and also I've gotten over the initial overwhelming effect of having such a big open world, and everything go more smooth now.

Just managed to get every Billboard, Super Jump and Smashes.

Also, there's coming a huge DLC next year (this one is priced unfortunatley), which will add the big island back into the game: http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/island.php

Morridini
What do ya all think of the new Big Surf Island DLC? I think it looks very cool; http://www.gametrailers.com/video/bsi-tearin-burnout-paradise/51514

as you see plenty of big jumps, definitley getting it when my 360 is back from Microsoft.

cruel jedi
i played it and got the burnout liscense then traded it in. Is alrite at first but then gets repetative and i lost intrest...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.