A passing fad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tonnochi
I think so.

Just an opinion, Flame Away.

diddly-dum
whats a passing fad?

LovelyOne
of course its not..Jack Sparrow made it into the top 100 character performances of all time...and he wasn't low on the list either..

willofthewisp
Pirates have come back into the pop culture. The emphasis on them may be a passing fad, but pirates have been in people's imagination forever. They always capture the imagination, or else POTC would not have done well. I definetely played pirates as a kid and buried treaure and sword fought and all that, and I'm sure lots of other people did too. It all goes in with the Peter Pan, Treasure Island just PIRATE universe. People always love them.

Jacky Sparrow
yeah, I had a pirate ship and a flag and I really liked it to play big grin

Bwa Ha Ha
agreed

diddly-dum
Ya, Pirates are on the verge of becoming a BIG fad(if it hasn't already) Not to mention there are still pirates to day!

willofthewisp
Yeah, so I think pirates are always something that's in the back of people's mind and POTC just brought it to the forefront again. I don't know about you guys, but when I first saw the preview for the first POTC movie, all I could think was, "Pirates! This is going to be so cool!"
They're like fairies and dragons and astronauts and all the magical things in the world.

diddly-dum
actually astronuats are real,.... but you are right.

willofthewisp
No, I know they're real....bad choice of words. But like every kid wants to be an astronaut? Every kid wants to be a pirate. There are just some things we grew up with that we instinctively are fascinated by.

diddly-dum
Ooh!!! Ya

Maple Sugar
no of course movie..POTC is an extremly good movie and the ride itself has been around for a long time so that would keep the film alive for all time

diddly-dum
agreed

LovelyOne
I wonder if the western will ever make it back?

funny how it used to be the western..

then it was the sci fi space adventure

now its pirates..

diddly-dum
Then what??

LovelyOne
hmm....japanese horror movies? laughing out loud

diddly-dum
no expression ya right

willofthewisp
I think right now the world is too cynical for westerns to come back. We've been taught that all they are are propaganda for the white man and how they're all about exploiting and killing Indians and degrading women and praising violence. But the world needs some westerns right now. Most of the time, they're underdog stories about one man facing a whole gang of enemies and having summon up the courage to face them.
Has anyone seen Tombstone? Great western with Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday. It's truly his best work because he's only done crap since, and Doc and Jack are kindred spirits. He's a smartass who is great with a pistol and has a flare for words, but underneath it all has a huge heart and a secret.
Speaking of something else that is prevalent in our pop culture, does anyone know how the whole pirates vs. ninjas thing got started?

diddly-dum
no expression

ivebeendepped43
lol Japanese horror movies! rofl

Leggy_n_Merry
Pfff whatever. These movies are already among the great franchises that will be remembered for a long time. And it's a subject that is always going to interest some people.

willofthewisp
Well said, LeggynMerry. I couldn't agree more. People will always be fascinated by pirates.

ivebeendepped43
yeah, i no i will. well, at least 4 a while

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.