Is the Dark Side really bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quinlan_Vos
Is the Dark Side really bad? I mean, Anakin fell to the Dark Side for love. In so many cases, Jedi fall to the Dark Side to fulfill something they can't normally achieve. So

Do you believe that there is a thing called the Dark Side?

Can someone tell me which Sith joined the Dark Side for a not that bad reason?

Blue_Hefner
No.

Nikkolas
"Is the Dark Side really bad?"

It draws on emotion and primarily negative emotion. Hate, rage and anger enpower a person in the dark side. If they can channel this anger and rage for a purpose that is noble, they could be an anti-hero.

"Do you believe that there is a thing called the Dark Side?"

Some theories claim there is no dark or light, just The Force and how you use it. I don't think so but it's more of a philosophical debate unless GL has said something on the subject of there being no light or dark.

"Can someone tell me which Sith joined the Dark Side for a not that bad reason?"

Kyp towards the beginning solely wanted to destroy the Imperial Remnnant. He decided negotations and peace were not gonna work with such a deceitful enemy and used the Sun Crusher to try and stamp out the Remnant. His rage, however, was manipulated by Exar Kun and his rage overtook him, making him more of a villain than an anti-hero.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Quinlan_Vos
Is the Dark Side really bad? I mean, Anakin fell to the Dark Side for love. In so many cases, Jedi fall to the Dark Side to fulfill something they can't normally achieve. So

Can someone tell me which Sith joined the Dark Side for a not that bad reason? Anakin fell to the Dark Side for a good intention, to save his wife whom he was obsessed with. But as Ned Flanders once said: "My family can't live in good intentions!" i.e. Anakin wanted to do good but went about the wrong way and in so doing created the paradox that was the ROTS ending.

Every other Sith that was not born into their ideals fell to the Dark Side to further their own ends. Even Dooku, despite wanting to fix the Republic, was still Sithly in the traditional sense.

Revan's fall is disputed in that he may not even have fallen to the Dark to save the galaxy from the Ancient Sith.

Kyp wanted to wipe out the Remnant, but like Anakin, went about it the wrong way.

Besides them, I can think of noone else who turned to the Dark for a good cause. And even all the above's attempts at "good deeds" ended in disaster.

The Dark Side itself feeds on negative emotions and too GL is Evil. All those negative emotions when kept unchecked, even to a non-Force sensitive, can lead to a bad situation. It can be seen everywhere in the world. If everyone were able to keep their passion in check then perhaps wars and inter-human disputes could be avoided, since huge conflicts can start over the tiniest things. Add the powers of the Force to such unbridled passions and you're in for a rough time.

Ushgarak
Yup, it's a pretty simple set-up in Star Wars. The Dark Side IS evil, it is the very essence of evil; GL designed it as the collection of everything that he thinks makes up evil in the world- selfishness, uncontrolled emotion, lack of empathy, lack of balance- and so in the SW universe that GL created, it, of course, exists, and it IS evil. There is no room for debate, because the creator- GL- has set it so!

Anakin's love was selfish, is the point. He was willing to damn the rest of the Galaxy, to kill chioldren and his friends, for the sake of this love. That is not postive. That is selfishness. It was not done with noble intent. It was done because Anakin simply feared to lose her.

It is impossible to go to the Dark Side for a morally good reason. If you are moral, you wouldn't fall.

Nikkolas
I really don't think so. The dark side is just power and The Force channeled through a different method than the Light. While the Light and Jedi believe in suppressing emotion and concentration, the dark side has a wide variety of noble oppertunities for anyone who can control their anger. Anakin lost control. His anger overwhelmed him and he became a villain. A good person with good intentions would need a tremendous willpower but I think that they could harvest the amazing potential of their anger but control it and fine-tune it into a weapon of noble, yet destructive good.

Ushgarak
No, that is absolutely and totally untrue and betrays a great misunderstanding of everything the films say.

Once more, the Dark Side is synonomous with evil in Star Wars. To use it is evil, and only evil people use it. Simple as that.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Nikkolas
I really don't think so. The dark side is just power and The Force channeled through a different method than the Light. While the Light and Jedi believe in suppressing emotion and concentration, the dark side has a wide variety of noble oppertunities for anyone who can control their anger. Anakin lost control. His anger overwhelmed him and he became a villain. A good person with good intentions would need a tremendous willpower but I think that they could harvest the amazing potential of their anger but control it and fine-tune it into a weapon of noble, yet destructive good. From the Expanded Universe standpoint, this is OK. But when it comes to the movies, it isn't. Movie-wise, the Dark Side is evil, end of story.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Quinlan_Vos

Can someone tell me which Sith joined the Dark Side for a not that bad reason?
Yes. It's the 'ends justifies the means' mentality, and it is filled with malevolence and sadistic pleasure.

Geekonthainside
NO the dark side isn't tht bad it's all a point of view!!!!!!
just like christianity u can look at it as a bunch of strict assholes who think everybody who doesn't follow every rule to the bible is going to burn in hell or as a vastly open religion that allows u to be who u are. personally i prefer dark side!

Nikkolas
Well, the movies only cover a very limited amount of time in a glaxy with thousands of years of existence. I say it's unjust to deem the dark side as the "evil side" going with just examples like Palpatine and Vader. And, of course, look at Dooku. Dooku became a Sith to get rid of the worthless Republic Senate which had been oppressing people for years and doing absolutely nothing to help those they "represented." He dreamed of an government where power rested in a benevolent dictator who would act for the people.

Ushgarak
No it is not unjust and again that is a complete misundedtanding from you. GL is very clear here. Thje Dark Side is evil- he declares it so, and therefore it is so. He uses the films to demonstrate this to us.

Dooku is on the Dark Side. He is completely evil. You are just buying into his lies if you believe noble cause.

Geek- totally wrong. It is not a point of view, it is an objkective fact in Star Wars.

Again, none of your opinion overrule GL's.

exanda kane
You can't read too much into Star Wars, its a very simple concept; Dark Side is bad, Light Side is good.

Nikkolas
And you are buying into a very narrow-minded shallow and worthless ideal to just claim Dooku as "bad." A respected Jedi Master for decades does not go evil for no discernable reason. Dooku became a Sith to overthrow an ineffective Republic which were powerless and corrupt bureaucrats. Tha is very clear. All forms of "democracy" have high levels of incompetence and ineffectiveness because when you vote a person to represent you, they can almost do what they want. People in government have high levels of power ya know and if they are voted in to represent a prejudice people, they will be prejudice themselves. This creates division in the elected body which leads to vital matters decaying into mindless squabbles.

It's ridiculous to claim the Old Republic was a noble and fully altruistic body and it's retarded to say Dooku became a Sith just to be evil. he became a Sith to help fix the galaxy with visions of a prosperous future through a re-organization of the government. It's called being a revolutionary.

Captain REX
Dooku started a war that killed billions of people.

Now, what were you saying?

Dooku became a Sith to overthrow the Republic, yes, but who was he going to replace the Republic with? Himself. It was a greedy objective, not 'Free the people of oppression!'

Sith Lord Windu
actually, it was palp' who started the war. dooku, imo, wanted to fix the galaxy and stupidly thought that palp' wanted the same thing (palp' proberly lied to him to gain dooku's trust).

the darkside is evil but thats staer wars, in real life it nieve to think that something can be completely evil.

lord griffin

FeceMan
A noble cause does not make right wrong means.

Lightsnake
The Dark Side is evil. We have more than Palp and Vader can go by.

Remember, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Nupe Kill Droma
While GL did come up with this idea called "The Force," we should also bear in mind that even he admits that a lot of the intricacies about the Force are made up by fans and writers in the expanded universe. Still, the Dark Side is, in fact, evil, and there's no way around that. Lightsnake is very correct in offering the old saying, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

The only character that I can think of who falls in the "noble cause" category is Revan in the KOTOR games, and the reason I say this is because he is played out to be a military genius/strategist, using the "beat them by joining them" ploy. His turn to the dark side is not a "fall," per-se, so much as it is a conscientious decision to sacrifice himself to it in an attempt to preserve the Republic. Still, even though his reasons are noble (IMHO), he still resorts to doing the things that dark siders do: lie, deceive, kill, etc. Just ask the Rakatan (sp?) Elders who are the gatekeepers to the Star Forge...

Archangelysses
Originally posted by Nikkolas
look at Dooku. Dooku became a Sith to get rid of the worthless Republic Senate which had been oppressing people for years and doing absolutely nothing to help those they "represented." He dreamed of an government where power rested in a benevolent dictator who would act for the people.

I am yet to see evidence of any dictatorship being "benevolent".

Dooku ceased to exist when he became sith. Therefore there was no longer any benevolence to him, more like malevolence.

Lightsnake
We're talking about the same Dooku who created Grievous with the specific purpose to genocide and butcher countless civilians simply to provide Dooku with a 'get out of jail free' card?

Archangelysses
Exactly

As stated no longer benevolent only malevolent.

Dark-Kenshin
I think if one were to approach to the dark side with full self-awareness of the effects it could have, but with reserved and mindful use,it wouldn't be that bad. Revan, Kyle Katarn and Mace Windu are proof.

Beniboybling
This thread is a decade old.

UCanShootMyNova
Woah...

Beniboybling
Only Neph remembers it.

Dark-Kenshin
I was seeing the cool kids casting thread necromancy on a bunch of versus threads and got the impression that it was no longer a forbidden spell . . . confused

JKBart
nuu, it's a very bad thing to do

Beniboybling
u have defiled the natural order

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.