Which one's stronger: Light Side or Dark Side?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Volter
though in every movie or game a character has to say at least once: "the dark side is more powerful! the light side is weak!" but it's a proved fact... so any opinions?

Darth Volter
sry it's NOT a proved fact missed that

Quinlan_Vos
Well the Light Side is more defensive if I should say. While it does have some offensive attacks such as Force Push and Pull, Electric Judgement, and Whirlwind, it's more defensive as it contains Force Shield, Force Aura, Force Enlightenment, Knight Speed, etc.

The Dark Side has more offensive vile attacks, like Death Field, Force Crush, etc.

However, everything is balanced out. No side is more powerful, for it depends on the Force strength of the user.

lord griffin

Sith Lord Windu
exactly what i was going to say.

Blank force

Archangelysses
There is no difference in power between light or dark. Only difference in the mind and in the potential of the force user themself.

As Yoda said, the dark side was not stronger, only a quicker path to power.

((The_Anomaly))
Actually the Dark Side is the weaker of the two, as it leads to self-destruction. While it gives the user the illusion of great power, they in fact have given into the greatest weakness one can have.

The Light Side is more powerful in the end, and will always be more powerful in the end.

Quinlan_Vos
Actually, it just happens to be in the SW universe that the light side always beats the dark (Revan vs. Malak, etc.)

willman
play star wars KOTOR and the dark side IS stronger, if you try malak as a light-sider, its hard. but if you are consumed with the dark side, you can own him with a force choke/lightsaber combo.

Lord Chariol
Force lightening in and of itself is one reason why a player of KOTOR should not go Light Side.

Screw honor...force lightening.

Council#13
The Dark Side is an easier path, and leads to power quicker. The Light Side is far more difficult, requiring sacrifices, but ultimately leads to greater power, I believe.

Archangelysses
They are equal.

As shown in the Yoda/Sidious fight.

The only thing different is that the Dark Side was a quick easy path to power.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Council#13
The Dark Side is an easier path, and leads to power quicker. The Light Side is far more difficult, requiring sacrifices, but ultimately leads to greater power, I believe.

Yep this pretty much says it.

Captain REX
Neither side is more powerful...

superstoner
darkside can kill more ...*Nihilus pwneth Katarr*

Tangible God
Based on power, both sides are equal.

But as the Light has a tendency to ultimately win, I'd say they're stronger. Only in SW though.

KingDubya
The Dark Side may seem stronger most of the time mainly due to the Sith/Fallen Jedi having little or no regrets/morals to hold them back. The Light Side-ers, however, have a tendency to hold back their full strength for many believe in peace and think that all (or at least most) Jedi who have fallen can be brought back to the Light.
Originally posted by willman
play star wars KOTOR and the dark side IS stronger, if you try malak as a light-sider, its hard. but if you are consumed with the dark side, you can own him with a force choke/lightsaber combo. Originally posted by Lord Chariol
Force lightening in and of itself is one reason why a player of KOTOR should not go Light Side.

Screw honor...force lightening.
FYI, I doubt that this thread is talking about in the games. But on that topic, I prefer a Light Side/High Charisma character, 'cause then I can use the defensive powers supported by the offensive ones.

Captain REX
The only time that people start thinking 'We can bring them back!' in a serious light is around the PT, more so after ROTJ.

Yoda blatantly says that once you join the Dark Side, you can't come back. EU trods all over that.

Sith Lord Windu
eu writers just want money, so they write material about a fallen hero returning to the light. its getting old. id prefer a jedi constantly on the verge of going to the dark side...

Captain REX
Isn't that how they have it anyways?

Sith Lord Windu
no

Nupe Kill Droma
Light side and dark side are to sides of the same "coin": the Force. I think that in strict terms of "power," the two sides are equal.

h1a8
I believe the dark side and light side are equal.
But this is disceiving. If one is to count strength by individuals and not by team then the Dark Side would be a heck of a lot stronger. They could even hide themselves from the greatest Jedi (including Yoga) while being in their presence. They definately had an advantage over the light side that is why there is always two instead of many. If there were many just like the Light Side then the Dark side will rule (Even though it has before for many years with just two)

General G
I would probably put the dark side higher than the light side because prett much, the Sith/dark side always win. Whenever they try and overthrow the republic and the jedi, they do. But they always miss some jedi, so they have time to regroup and win again. But the Sith always win when they try to.

Mider999
dont they both draw on the same power i mean its basically the star wars version of the power cosmic, i think when it comes to shows of power like destroying things the darkside wins but only because of its use of violence causing nova's and feeding off entire planets but i guess if the jedi where in a planet with all evil beings they could do the same, or destroy an evil solar system they can do the same things the sith can.

Darth Kreiger
The Light Side always ends up winning, so I'd stick with them

Escape81
Rex is correct. In terms of sheer power, then neither side is stronger. The light side does tend to win, of course, though, but that doesn't necessarily equate to "stronger".

Consider in RotJ. Luke survived; the Emperor was killed; the Empire beaten back - but that doesn't change the facts that, at the time.

a.) The Empire > the Rebellion (by a hell of a lot) in all militaristic terms.

b.) The Emperor > Luke and Vader in terms of power. Hell he was torturing Luke - and he killed Vader when Vader snuck up on him.

In several cases, we've seen dark side dominance. In TPM, we have Maul being more skilled than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but dying and Sidious's plans being fulfilled. In AotC, we have Count Dooku beating Obi-Wan and Anakin, but being driven back by Yoda - and yet they failed to stop the war from starting. In RotS, we have Sidious toppling the Republic and the Jedi, but Kenobi managing to beat Anakin (despite Anakin's superior power), and a new hope is born.

The movies have shown us that in many cases, the dark side is winning the struggle, but is eventually overcome through - predominantly love, but also - luck, fate, or in rare cases - superior skill.

Kas'Im
The darkside is definitely more devestating, however the lightside is better with healing, at least that's what I got from the saga.

Prodigal Knight
Basically, what REX and I and Escape81 basically said, no side more powerfule. And Kas'Im, the Dark Side is devastating, but attacks like Morichro and Electric Judgement are comparable.

Kas'Im
I think people like to echo Yoda's words and think of them as both being equal, but the truth is that the darkside is stronger. I mean look at how powerful a nobody like Aleema grew, and how quickly she did once she got her hands on some sith magic, look at how much more powerful Exar Kun grew as a sith than he did as a jedi. The lightside is weaker, and everybody knows it.

Ushgarak
I think you will find Yoda is in a better position to speak truth than you are!

The Dark Side's strength is illusiory. It always destroys itself.

RocasAtoll
Lightside is, in the long run, "stronger". Darkside is a quicker way to power, but in the end, is "weaker". The darkside is not what made the Empire stronger than the Republic, Escape. It was the fact it had manpower and tenchnology 6000x better.

Kas'Im
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think you will find Yoda is in a better position to speak truth than you are!

laughing laughing laughing

Just to make it clear, by power I meant personal combat power, so the fact that the darkside always destroys itself is irrelevant, it says nothing about personal power.

Darth Subjekt
is there really two actual sides to the force, or just the way the person uses it? I was always under the assumption that there was just the "force", and a person's actions dictated whether it was light or dark. If there is two actual sides, regardless of practitioners, it would never be gone cause it is always just "there" it would destroy just those that utilized it, rather than itself. Know what i mean?

Escape81
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Lightside is, in the long run, "stronger". Darkside is a quicker way to power, but in the end, is "weaker". The darkside is not what made the Empire stronger than the Republic, Escape. It was the fact it had manpower and tenchnology 6000x better.

Read the entire thing, bub.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by Escape81
Read the entire thing, bub.

Did. Doesn't change the fact darkside wasn't the resaon the Empire was better than the Rebellion.

Escape81
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Did. Doesn't change the fact darkside wasn't the resaon the Empire was better than the Rebellion.

You're missing the point.

The Empire was led and controlled by a Dark Side user, and, like the Dark Side, it represents what is "evil" in Star Wars. Essentially because the light side and dark side are good and evil respectively, my point is that Star Wars has shown a lot of Dark Side dominance.

And, like I said, it doesn't change the fact that Palpatine was owning Luke - before being betrayed by Vader (who died in the process). He was more powerful than either of them, but was still a dark side user.

RocasAtoll
I get the point, I'm just uneedingly difficult. It's always been a problem for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.