What makes Star Wars special to you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vfour
What makes star wars so special to you?

Alliance
Many things: the clones and the culture surrounding them, the artistic value of the films are my two main ones.

queeq
Not the PT. wink

I always LOVED the 'used future' approach in the OT, it made it a real wordl sprung entirely from imagination. Well, Lucas did get his inspiration from Flash Gordon, Buck ROgers, Dune etc... but it was a credible world. And because the greatest space vehicles looked like crap from all the usage, it made it real (also inspired by Stanley Kubrick I am sure). Plus it had a simple and great story.

Alliance
Yes the PT.

The "used future" was a brilliant move on his part. Again...artistic value.

It still wasn't as great a decision as using Williams' instumental score.

Rampant ox
Definantly the music composed by Jonh Williams. Fantastic work, two thumbs up to him. Also the superb acting by Christopher Lee, imo one of his best performances to date.

Ghetto Goblin
That warm fuzzy feeling i get when i see padme.

queeq
There was no used future in the PT... a bit on tatooine, but he clearly abandoned that concept in the pristine PT world.

Alliance
Yeah...it was totally abandoned. no expression

No it wasn't It was still in use... it wasn't as grungy...but it wasn't supposed to be. It was the end of a golden age and we were hanging out with realy rich and foamous people...not farmboys, smugglers, and fugitives.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Alliance
Yeah...it was totally abandoned. no expression

No it wasn't It was still in use... it wasn't as grungy...but it wasn't supposed to be. It was the end of a golden age and we were hanging out with realy rich and foamous people...not farmboys, smugglers, and fugitives. It's that transition I don't like, chronology or not.

This was supposed to be the waning days of the Republic, the only shiny things I felt were appropriate were Palpatine's office, the Senate, most of the Coruscant scenes. Naboo looked like a paradise, and the only "roughness" about it were the stones Theed was made out of. Even Geonosis looked polished, the dust was the only thing really dirty about it. Tatooine was the closest resemblence to the OT in terms of "usage."

queeq
PT stands for Pristine Trilogy.

SpaceMonkey
Remember, in the 20 years between the 2 trilogies is when everything went to hell, so i don't mind the PT looking "newer" or "more polished" than the OT.

What makes Star Wars special to me is how immersive it is. I mean here you have complete strangers discussing things from why the PT looked cleaner than the OT to the effect of literature and games have on the chronollogy of a movie series. It's never going to go out of style to say a Star Wars quote or to wear a shirt with some SW stuff on it. It's timeless and exclusive to the fans who made it the phenomenon it is today.

smoker4
Originally posted by queeq
PT stands for Pristine Trilogy.

I especially hated the naboo cruisers, i kept waiting for this to happen

http://sqd.ru/files/3/015.gif

queeq
PLus we all ***** about the PT... laughing out loud

amity75
It takes me back to my childhood. And nothing alse does that. Whenever I see anything to do with Star Wars I become a 7 year old kid again and that's a good thing.

queeq
Is it?

willman
they are just amazing films. chewbacca makes it special lol.

queeq
He does?

Alliance
PLus we all ***** about the PT... laughing out loud

yes but some of us actually admit that we like it.

queeq
That's why we b!tch about it. If we didn't care, why bother?

Alliance
I ***** and admit.

DeVi| D0do
We wouldn't be Star Wars geeks if we didn't ***** would we?

Alliance
yeah...yeah we would.

DeVi| D0do
Really? I thought the two went hand in hand...

EPIIIBITES
What makes Star Wars special?

'Cause it is "imagination unleashed" unlike anything else ever done before it...

It's one of the finest examples of concept to canvass in modern art, and that, I think, is its success.

Alliance, your sigs just keep getting better and better

...just so you know...when I read "Alliance" in my head, I say it the french way...don't know why...sounds cool though...hope that's ok!!!

EPIIIBITES
Also, John Williams' score when Yoda is describing the Force in the rocks, the trees, etc, in Empire...that's pretty special.

Alliance
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Alliance, your sigs just keep getting better and better

...just so you know...when I read "Alliance" in my head, I say it the french way...don't know why...sounds cool though...hope that's ok!!!

Thanks a lot big grin I don't really know how one would prounounce Alliance in French, but ... ummm sure!

queeq
AH-LEE-AHNCE

Cybervader
The special friendship of C3P0 and R2D2.. i think its sweet, really.

willman
chewie! chewie! chewie!

queeq
Solo

Alliance
AH-LEE-AHNCE
ahh...

Solo > Chewie.

Rampant ox

Solo > Chewie.

Dooku > Solo+Chewie

EPIIIBITES
Thanks a lot big grin I don't really know how one would prounounce Alliance in French, but ... ummm sure!

"AH-LEE-AHNCE" is right. You can also try watching the dvds in French!!! I guess OT would be best...sounds pretty funky.

queeq
laughing out loud

Alliance
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
"AH-LEE-AHNCE" is right. You can also try watching the dvds in French!!! I guess OT would be best...sounds pretty funky.

laughing

queeq
OUi oui

EPIIIBITES
laughing out loud laughing

LAUGHING'S FUN!!!

queeq
Bonjour, monsieur Dark Vador....

EPIIIBITES
Actually the line "Now this is podracing" sounds awesome in French!!!

...no it doesn't

sithsaber408
Watch 'em in Spanish, now THAT's funny!

Its like a bad Mexican soap opera.

Especially Padme's voice. stick out tongue

Check it out if you haven't yet.

queeq
Damn, haven't got Spanish on my European edition...

EPIIIBITES
"Que la Fuerza te acompaƱe..."

...always. wink

Alliance
...may both forces be with you...always.

queeq
Hmmm, I can imagine the Spanish language version may even make the PT more watchable. wink

Alliance
...argh.

queeq
HEhehehehe

Lighthammer
Star Wars brought me into the world of sci fi, and for that they are always special to me.

queeq
Star Wars is no sci-fi... that's what I loved about it.

Alliance
laughing Its easily sci-fi. Don't kid yourself.

There needs to be a militiary sci-fi version of the clone wars on the big screen. Then I will be in love.

queeq
It's not sci-fi... it never was, never will be. Sci-fi has to do with prediction of the future based on technological development or projections. Star Wars takes place in the past, in another world. It's a fairy tale in space, not sci-fi.

JaehSkywalker
no idea, it just is...

queeq
Star Wars is.

That's a good line.

Alliance
It's not sci-fi... it never was, never will be. Sci-fi has to do with prediction of the future based on technological development or projections. Star Wars takes place in the past, in another world. It's a fairy tale in space, not sci-fi.

NOT true at all. It is clearly sci-fi.

Even if you take your narrowed defenition of sci-fi, Star Wars still makes predicitons about our future py presenting a parallel past.

queeq
Huh???? How?

It's a fairy tale... it always was and always will be. It's not like Star Trek or Stargate or whatever. It's more along the lines of LOTR.

Lighthammer
Okay. Where does it say Sci-Fi has to take place in the future. Its not Science-future.

vintageSW77
fans who dress up as characters at conventions ....they are really SPECIAL
sw is special to me as its been with me for nearly 30 years and as i hard as i try it aint leaving

EPIIIBITES
Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi...that's its charm.

Star Trek TNG is an example of good sci-fi...that's why you feel like doing math or going out to look at the stars or something after watching an episode!!

Star Wars make me want to....play Star Wars video games!

queeq
Originally posted by Lighthammer
Okay. Where does it say Sci-Fi has to take place in the future. Its not Science-future.

SW is not science based...

J.M FcThumbs-Up
The good ol' feeling!!!

queeq
Which is? wink

Alliance
orgasm

queeq
Ah...well....yeah.... Can't say I share the benefit of your experience during a SW film....

Alliance
laughing I suppose I should read threads before I comment.

queeq
Yes! laughing out loud

Alliance
/\/\/\/\/\/\

queeq
What does that mean?

EPIIIBITES
What makes Star Wars special to you?

Wedgie-Poo

<---------

He IS the man.

I mean, how cool a last name is Antilles...

EDIT

...actually, on second thought, it sounds kinda Battlestar Galactica

queeq
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.