Ladies and Gentlemen, we got 'em...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
I got the new SW DVD's. I feel like such a sucker... another box set in my collection... I still have 2,5 VHS box sets of the OT, now 2 DVD box sets... I must be insane to let Lucas empty my wallet.

Alliance
SUCKER! I'm not buying them. Waste of money.

exanda kane
I fancied buying A New Hope for the cantina scene...But I don't fancy going out to buy it for that sole purpose, perhaps on the way back from a bar, and if a nice store is open at 2am I'll splash out on it smile

Alliance
have a couple of drinks first

queeq
The menus are nice.

Ah well, it kinda replaces the VHS tapes.

I find something strange though. I have two box sets: one with the 1997 SE's (which is on the new DVD's) but I also have a remastered VHS box of the OT BEFORE the SE's.... Why isn't that on those DVD's... they were practically the originals but in good condition one wouldn't need a letterbox 4:3 version of...

Alliance
I heard the menus were awesome.

aj_vader
ye ive only bought the Empire Strikes Back DVD, and the menu for that is cool but after the menu has come up its boring after that theres just still pictures, but the first few seconds of the menu comin up is great!

and i can now fully appriciate the new versions of the trilogy, not that i didn't before, its just now i can see the comparisons on the same format and same screen

but i will agree that it is a bit expensive to keep buying all these, and cant really afford it, but hell its Star Wars!!!

PVS
Originally posted by queeq
The menus are nice.

Ah well, it kinda replaces the VHS tapes.

I find something strange though. I have two box sets: one with the 1997 SE's (which is on the new DVD's) but I also have a remastered VHS box of the OT BEFORE the SE's.... Why isn't that on those DVD's... they were practically the originals but in good condition one wouldn't need a letterbox 4:3 version of...

its done out of spite. nothing more

JediRobin23
that trilogy is for a limited time only, what a money maker. Man, next theres going to be

-A PT trilogy box set
-A PT special edition box set
-A 6 movie original box set
-A 6 movie special edition box set

then finally it might end
oh wait, then there will be a re do the OT trilogy again, then the PT and then it will start all over again

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

queeq
This was a nice article: dreaming of the ultimate SW DVD box, which will probably never come but SHOULD!

http://www.theforce.net/timeline/swdvd.asp

DeVi| D0do
err... wrong forum?

I might get these at some stage... But let's face it, there will be tonnes of opportunities to get films on various formats in the future. So I'm in no hurry.

queeq
True true... but the menu's are nice. wink

darkjedi132
yeah i have them aswell

PVS
indiana jones 4. that will be the next time that spiteful little fat man ever sees another dime from me....well $9.50 if you want to be anal about it.

EPIIIBITES
So they're saying the originals are being released for the first and ONLY time on "DVD"...but does that necessarily mean that they wont be released again (such as on "HD"-DVD)???

Is this Lucas just giving the originals a dvd format and putting them to rest, or are they just fiddling w/ words?

PVS
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
So they're saying the originals are being released on "DVD" for the first and ONLY time...is that to say that the originals won't be released ever again...(in another format like "HD"DVD)?

Is this Lucas just giving the originals a dvd format and putting them to rest, or are they just fiddling w/ words?

he's going to have to eventually remaster and sell the OOT in widescreen....after all how else will he pay the bill for his cryogenic freezing.

oh dont even pretend you dont just know he'll do that

queeq
He said he'd never release them on DVD, period.... He said he'd never release any OT on the current DVD format... He did both. So what are we to believe. I start saving up for the next SW box set.

EPIIIBITES
That's so funny, I just found this quote after reading your post...

"Star Wars will never be on home video." - George Lucas circa 1978/1979

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

queeq
Collect them all, I'd say.

Alliance
Its surprising for being such a technologically advanced filmaker that we didn't get the OT on DVD until '04.

queeq
Money or... the fact that DVD was already on its way to replacement by the next generation of DVD...

EPIIIBITES
Queeq, you're on a posting rampage! Go baby Go!

pr1983
Bought all 3, and was happy with the lot... this is the sw i grew up watching... there were things i didnt even realised were changed... i felt like a kid again...

Alliance
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Queeq, you're on a posting rampage! Go baby Go!

laughing yes he is.

Jedi Priestess
Money or... the fact that DVD was already on its way to replacement by the next generation of DVD...

Thought about buying them. Went with Smallville season 5 instead. laughing out loud

Of course I have them via a laser disc rip on DVD anyway. wink

Darth Scythe
Somewhere, Lucas is laughing and using 100 dollar bills to wipe his ass.

queeq
I bet he is.

So JP is stealing the OT... rip offs... pfffftt...

Jedi Priestess
Nope, they were given to me as a gift. stick out tongue

queeq
Oh... just like the rest that fell off a truck... wink

Alliance
Originally posted by Darth Scythe
Somewhere, Lucas is laughing and using 100 dollar bills to wipe his ass.

Is that why the movies are being released every year?

Jedi Priestess
Oh... just like the rest that fell off a truck... wink

Can I help it if I have friends of dubious means? eyes

Stun
I'm happy with the 2004 edition thanksstick out tongue although i'd probably buy it just for deja vu, like with some of the original scenes

queeq
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Can I help it if I have friends of dubious means? eyes

Errrr.... yes you can. But I let you keep me. wink

Darth Subjekt
so the new ones that have just been released, are they TRUE originals? Or whats different about them from the box set he sold? I havent looked into it that much?

EPIIIBITES
The releases of the originals on these new DVDs are from the Laserdisc masters for the "Star Wars Trilogy - The Definitve Collection" box set in 1993.

Here's a pic.

EPIIIBITES
The only other earlier letterbox version of the films are from the "Star Wars Trilogy - Special Letterbox Collector's Edition" in 1992.

Here's a pic of that.

EPIIIBITES
The main, and only real significant difference between these two earlier versions is that the Laserdisc box set remastered the films in THX (the first time this was ever done on any format).

The two sets are both non-anamorphic widescreen...and so of course are the originals being released on these new DVDs.

The only other difference might be a line of dialogue that may be missing from the Laserdisc set.

The 2004 DVD releases (and of course what's on "Disk 1" of these new DVDs) are anamorphic widescreen.

In 1995, the "Star Wars Trilogy" had its second official release, known as the THX release. The sound AND picture quality were tweaked in these versions.

So if you really want the earliest, roughest versions of the films, the 1992 box set is the way to go.

Darth Subjekt
but im saying, theyre not the SE, right? its all old ORIGINAL footage?

EPIIIBITES
Yes.

George Lucas released "The Star Wars Trilogy - Special Edition" in 1997. It had further audio and visual enhancements, as well as the additional footage.
These DVDs are not from those...they're form the '93 Laserdiscs.

IMO the SE versions are the definitive versions of the films...just don't ask me why or you'll think I'm insane...

Hope that helps!

Jedi Priestess
IMHO the SE's are THE worst versions of the OT. erm

I have this one too, ("Star Wars Trilogy - Special Letterbox Collector's Edition"wink.
so Im good to go! yes

queeq
Yeah, I have a VHS set, THX mastered, came out right before the SE's, why didn't they put that on DVD. Oh, I know... then we wouldn't have the ANH version without the "Episode 1 - A new hope" on the main title roll.

EPIIIBITES
...that'd be "Episode 4 -A New Hope" big grin

The original VHS set is great because it has that old film grain, almost discoloured look to it...it actually makes the "used future" look more realistic...

...if you look at all the spaceships n' stuff in the 2004 release they look all colourful and nice lookn'...really bugs me.

EPIIIBITES
Like...

EPIIIBITES
...or...

EPIIIBITES
...The star destroyers look especially different inside...all blue and what not.

queeq
THe original ANH had this bright, light slightly desaturated look. The skies on tatooine were pale blue, very documentary styled. In the newest editions they totally ruined that (at the time revolutionary) look.

smoker4
The pics above look a lot better but i agree with queeq on the tatooine skies look

queeq
All of ANH for that matter... it was brilliant.

Jedi Priestess
Errrr.... yes you can. But I let you keep me. wink

what makes you think you are my only one? evil face

queeq
I don't... I said I let you keep me... only me.

Jedi Priestess
laughing out loud

JediRobin23
Pisses me off. I thought they would all come in a box set. you got to buy them all individually. I went into the store and saw this, 25 bucks each. All individuals. I said F*ck that. I got money, but I didn't want to buy them just because of that. I thought, I wont watch the originals anyway. so I'm sticking to the ones I got. I will buy the 6 box set, but man I;m mad

Stun
realigning the tunnel in the detention block making it perfectly parallel needed to be done looking at the changes on the OS, yet i never really noticed how much it stuck out before

Alliance
laughing I know... no more horrible perspective.

People tend to forget that the OT had many sucky parts.

Captain REX
Heya Queeqmeister, still alive? stick out tongue

I will most likely not buy the OOT DVDs. I don't have the money to spare, unless I'm sacrificing Wii games. ninja

Besides, I somewhat like the 2004 DVDs, despite all its useless changes. ermm

queeq
Hi REx, yeah... still sitting it out.

In the US there's a tin box set.

Cybervader
I think the 2004 dvd version has a nicer cover than the new ones, plus it comes with a smashing vader silver and black box.

queeq
Oh no... the new covers are better.

Alliance
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Pisses me off. I thought they would all come in a box set. you got to buy them all individually.

laughing Thats next year silly.

queeq
What do we get then? *sigh*

Alliance
September 07! w00t no expression

queeq
Another box set with what?

Alliance
The re-re-edited OT DVDs.

queeq
And re-re-edited version of TPM, re-edit of AOTC and re-edit of ROTS I bet.

Alliance
etc...etc...etc...

STAR WARS diamond edition!

queeq
"And now.... the re-re-re-edit of the television series..."

Alliance
with the original ANH

queeq
But WITH the Episode IV A new hope title in the crawl.. but with the dolby 2.0 soundtrack

Alliance
and then we can release the 5.1 Dolby bluetooth the next year

queeq
Endless possibilities. Lucas will be buried in a golden coffin with "SW was just a side project" embossed on the lid.

Alliance
laughing

He should be.

queeq
He will

Alliance
Good.

Captain REX
I'll do it myself. ermm

I'm just waiting on the Special Edition PT. no expression

And yet another revision of the OT, to fix all the stuff they screwed up with the 2004 DVD changes.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Alliance
and then we can release the 5.1 Dolby bluetooth the next year

L laughing out loud L

F*cking almost spit my soda out at that one!

Alliance
laughing out loud but its so fricking true.

queeq
Unfortunately yes...

Alliance
moneywhores.

queeq
But we're paying them... what is worse?

Alliance
Likely.

queeq
Likely what?

EPIIIBITES
Star Wars is a whore!

K. I was in Wal-Mart yesterday, and I was looking at the Star Wars display for the new DVDs and the banners they had up, etc...and honestly, I felt kinda sick (the second time this has happened...the last time was when Ep.III came out, and the ridiculous worldwide marketing blitz surrounding it).

It really grosses me out now.

Star Wars is a whore! It's basically like McDonalds it's so "in your face."

I'm thinking how could any self-respecting artist be so "in your face" about their art...but in this case, Lucas probably doesn't have much say.

It just makes me feel weird being a fan of something that's been so ridiculously whored out.

...so not cool.

Cybervader
How can u call star wars whore.

Did u just actually called it a, whore? Tt's offensive. Can report to the mods.

McDonalds? goodness.

queeq
Oh booohoo... he said whore. He stated an opinion, he wasn't being abusive.

Now the McDonald's remark... THAT was abusive. wink

EPIIIBITES
...I hope your guys' tongue is in your cheek, 'caaaause... blink

Alliance
no expression

EPIIIBITES
..exactly!

eek! "guhbuh-guhbuh-guhbuh-guhbuh"

Alliance
laughing out loud

Velkyn
2008 new box set coming out with commentary by Chewbacca (In character of course) with subtitles for anyone that wanted to learn to speak wookie blink

queeq
I hope the subtitles are in Huttese though... or Ewok at least.

Velkyn
well, queeq, I think you just gave Lucas a new idea.... special Huttese edition for 2009... then special Ewok shipping in time for the 2010 holiday season, with more transitions, just for fun

queeq
A furry cover???

cornponious
I'm not saying where my tongue is.

corn

Alliance
I hope the subtitles are in Huttese though... or Ewok at least.

hello....Mando'a

queeq
Originally posted by cornponious
I'm not saying where my tongue is.

corn

That is a good thing right?

Alliance
allegedly

queeq
Hopefully.

Alliance
Ok.

queeq
Another thread dead and gone... Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.