Flyboys Inspired By A True Story

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RUSHmusicfan
Flyboys is the story of an elite group of American pilots who volunteered for the crack French flying squadron Lafayette Escadrille during World War I . James Franco , Martin Henderson , David Ellison, Jennifer Decker and Jean Reno star in this riveting story about the first American aviators to fly in World War I and their experiences. This movie opens on September 22nd, 2006 and is produced by the same studio that brought you " Independence Day" and " The Patriot " . This movie is rated " PG - 13 " .

Mr Parker
Looks like a great film,cant wait to see it.

SnakeEyes
No desire to see this film.

Solo
It looks absolutely terrible.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Solo

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
No desire to see this film.

pretty much sums it up.. all though id be a little nicer than terrible.

Tptmanno1
I thought it was based on the book of the same name...
Apparantly not.

~Flamboyant~
Sooo I thought that the Flyboys book was based on World War II.

Mr Parker
close.WW 2.MAN what the hell is wrong with you 3 guys saying it looks terrible or no desire to see it?

bakerboy
I didnt understand that too. Why on hell they are posting that this movie will suck without any idea about it? It doesnt make sense.

Mr Parker
It doesnt does it? roll eyes (sarcastic)

SnakeEyes
I have just as much as an idea about the film as you guys do, who are saying that the movie will be great. How is what I'm saying any different? It's an opinion based on exactly the same amount you know. So don't go saying that there's something wrong with people who don't want to see the movie.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Solo

Absolutely.

bakerboy
Lets see, i dont know what is the problem with this movie. Its about the story? The director? The actors? Or what else? Because it looks for me a promising movie and The movies about the WW are almost always interesting.

Mr Parker
yeah and yet these people are coming on saying it looks terrible. wonder what their kind of idea for a good movie is,scary movie.american pie,,friday the 13th,that kind of junk.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

SnakeEyes
Yup, go ahead and make assumptions just because others disagree. Very mature.

RUSHmusicfan
To all those that dis this movie, firstly , it is a story regarding the first AMERICAN aviators in WORLD WAR I NOT WORLD WAR II ! These aviators volunteered for the crack French flying squadron Lafayette Escadrille and they flew vintage aircraft such as the Sopwith Camel 'Pup', the Nuieport 11 and Nuieport 17 and encountered enemy aircraft such as the Albatross, the Fokker Triplane, the most famous being Baron Von Richtoffen 's " Red Baron " Triplane, and Fokker DR -VII. Secondly, this war was to be the " war to end all wars ".

Ushgarak
Why the hell would a French squadron be flying Pups or Camels?

I think you will find they will be flying Nieuports or SPADS.

I understand they are flying Nieuport 17s in the movie, which is historically inaccurate for the time period, though they have owned up to that.

RUSHmusicfan
Sorry, Ushgarak, I meant to say SPAD 'S and Nieuport 10 's and Nieuport 11's . You are right about the Nieuport 17's. The time this movie is based, the French planes the squadron flew may have been Nieuport 10 's or Nieuport 11 's, and not Nieuport 17's. Those types ( Nieuport 17 's) of fighters were enlisted towards the
end of World War I . Furthermore, The Nieuports were more agile and had better climb and were faster than their British counterparts the Sopwith Camel and its brethern, the Sopwith Camel ' Pup '.

Ushgarak
Err, there is no such plane as the Camel 'Pup'. The Pup was a pilot's nickname for an earlier Sopwith model. The Camel replaced it.

The 17 was an early era plane that was manoeuvrable because it was made out of paper. It had a habit of having its wings fall off in a dive... nice. The Camel was a much more powerful and sophisticated plane.

As the film is, as I understand it, set in 1917, and up against Fokker Triplanes, the Lafayette had actually moved beyond the 17 by then, onto later Nieuport models (which were no great shakes) and SPADs (which were better).

RUSHmusicfan
I went to see this movie today and if only you went to see the aerial dogfights between the Fokkers and The Escadrille squadron, this film would still be worth the price of admission. In my opinion , between an A and an F, I would rate this movie a " B ".

Secondly, Ushgarak, you are VERY CORRECT ! The plane you were referring in the previous paragragh is a Nieuport 28 and this plane WAS built and enlisted in the year 1917, the same year this story for this movie was to have taken place. It would be difficult to have a film about World War I dogfights and the pilots involved if every time the pilot flys his plane, there exists a chance his plane will break apart.

Also, the British built the Sopwith Pup, and to quote WWIAVIATION.COM , " armed with a single synchronous machine gun, it was lighter and less dangerous than its successor, the Sopwith Camel. Although underpowered, pilots liked the plane because it was maneuverable and fast. It could climb and hold its altitude better than any other fighter. " This fighter was built and enlisted in the British air force in 1916.

Thirdly , the two planes I mentioned , the Nieuport 10 and Nieuport 11, had very critical design flaws and they were built and enlisted in 1915. The biggest problem with these two fighters were they, as you have stated earlier, are made of mostly paper and that the struts would cause the main wing to twist and , eventually, break in a deep dive, causing disastrous results. Also, both these fighters lacked a synchronous machine gun.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.