If you were a clone commander would you have obeyed Order 66?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lighthammer
My bias in favor of the Jedi aside, no. Here's the thing Lucas didn't realize. Since the clones had been fighting with the Jedi for years forging friendships and bonds, they should have at least heisitated a little, before so swiftly killing their friends, even if it did come from the supreme commander(To my knowledge there is at least one case of the clones not obeying the command,some squad called Ion Team).'Though the command was given to them as they were being trained, they weren't brainwashed, it's not like after the order's given their mind goes blank and they obey it, no they make a conscience descision. I could care less about thehigh and mighty supremecommander. I would give a serious thought before shooting my friend of many years, and in the end, I couldn't do it. Unless I had evidence thay the jedi general leading me was actually planning a revolt, I not going to do it. And if I did, I would at least give them the decency to go down like warriors. Unlike The clones who killed Koon, that one who looked like Galla but wasn't, Offree, Secura, and the ones that tried to kill Kenobi, all shot when their backs were turned, not even letting their friends know they killed them. The only clones at least in the movie that had any deceny, where the ones who killed Mundi, cause they at least let him turn around and start swinging before shooting him.Oh, and can some body please explain to me why, after shooting Secura once in the back, they shot her body at least five more times?

masterkit
Originally posted by Lighthammer
My bias in favor of the Jedi aside, no. Here's the thing Lucas didn't realize. Since the clones had been fighting with the Jedi for years forging friendships and bonds, they should have at least heisitated a little, before so swiftly killing their friends, even if it did come from the supreme commander(To my knowledge there is at least one case of the clones not obeying the command,some squad called Ion Team).'Though the command was given to them as they were being trained, they weren't brainwashed, it's not like after the order's given their mind goes blank and they obey it, no they make a conscience descision. I could care less about thehigh and mighty supremecommander. I would give a serious thought before shooting my friend of many years, and in the end, I couldn't do it. Unless I had evidence thay the jedi general leading me was actually planning a revolt, I not going to do it. And if I did, I would at least give them the decency to go down like warriors. Unlike The clones who killed Koon, that one who looked like Galla but wasn't, Offree, Secura, and the ones that tried to kill Kenobi, all shot when their backs were turned, not even letting their friends know they killed them. The only clones at least in the movie that had any deceny, where the ones who killed Mundi, cause they at least let him turn around and start swinging before shooting him.Oh, and can some body please explain to me why, after shooting Secura once in the back, they shot her body at least five more times?

to make sure she was dead--its sad she was so cool

Lighthammer
Yeah agreed with the coolness, and with the to make sure she's dead thing, But come on five I can understand twice, but five is a little excessive.

masterkit
Originally posted by Lighthammer
Yeah agreed with the coolness, and with the to make sure she's dead thing, But come on five I can understand twice, but five is a little excessive.

huh?

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by masterkit
huh?

that's my thought about the entire thread

Lighthammer
What I meant was that shooting Secura after they killed her to make sure she is dead makes sense, but to shoot her five times just seemed a little too much.

KingDubya
To my knowledge, the clones had little choice in the matter. They were made to be more submissive to commands and Order 66 had been implanted into their brains during their 'birth' (or something like that). Remember, even Cody turned on Obi-Wan when he ordered the AT-TE to fire at him.

The explanation I can think of for Ion Team not following the orders is because they are clone commandos who, as detailed during the opening sequence of "Star Wars: Republic Commando", have more freedom of thought and individuality than their more simple brethren; this might've backfired on Palpatine by the commandos making actual choices when they weren't 'supposed' to.

I can't really say much about the shooting Aayla five extra times except that it was probably shown to emphasize their ruthlessness for the movie's sake and not to contribute to anything story-wise. Unless Lucas says anything about them specifically shooting her five or six times.

Kaos sebaceous
the clones didnt have a chance not to obey its in their dna to obey all orders given to them but if i was a clone and if i could choose i deff wouldent obey order 66 that is the part i hate most in the movie

Alliance
I likely would have executed the order. Given the relationship between the clones and the jedi and other factors. I think its fairly logical.

Jedi deserved it anyway...

...and clones rock ninja!

Captain REX
The Commandos are different, but other than them, all clones obeyed it with no questions. Their loyalty was to the Emperor, not to the Jedi.

yettoh
if tou have played star wars bounty hunter alway thru after u kill last boss tyrannus asks him if he wants to do it that means that dooku asked or told them to make them do taht i dont now im full of wierdness

Council#13
Depends on my commander. If it was some strict jerk, his death would have been something like this:

Palpatine: Commander, the time is now. Execute Order Sixty-
Me: Wait a second. This Jedi dude is really getting on my nerves. I just gotta aim and fire....

Cybervader
"They (the clones) are totally obedient. Taking every order without question" - Lama-su, PM of Kamino, AoTC

I think this line is to explain the nature of the Clones that only respond to INSTRUCTIONS by AUTHORITY. If i were a clone i'd definitely not followed the order, but that would be against the 'programming'. Given all the executive powers Palpatine had acquired, he had full authority over the clones as the supreme chancellor.

The star wars databank also states that Order 66 was a pre-programmed thing, proving that Palpatine was indeed behind the clones creation, and order 66 being their actual primary role, other than engaging the galaxy in war.

On the lighter side, if a clone disobeyed the order (which is against their programming), it would be like C3PO leading Wookies in a battle. smile

PVS
if i was genetically programmed to obey a dictator unconditionally, i guess i would have obeyed order 66.

what a silly question.

yettoh
on battlwefront 2 game as a clone tells the story he said we all thought we were going to celebrate but that all changed with our next order

Alliance
Originally posted by Captain REX
The Commandos are different, but other than them, all clones obeyed it with no questions. Their loyalty was to the Emperor, not to the Jedi.

Their loyalty was to the Republic and to the GAR. The commander in Chief is a higher power than the generals. Simple as that. Shoot now, think later.

Originally posted by yettoh
on battlwefront 2 game as a clone tells the story he said we all thought we were going to celebrate but that all changed with our next order

Not really canon. There is some nice development that fits in, though.

yettoh
palpatine wasnt that much behind it on ounty hunter game dooku asks him if he wants to clone himself into an army and he asked for one for him

Kongu_Dude
I would slaughter all the "cool" Jedis! evil face

I hate Zett Jukassa....mhm

Sesse
"palpatine wasnt that much behind it on ounty hunter game dooku asks him if he wants to clone himself into an army and he asked for one for him"

So Dooku asked if Palpatine wanted to make an army of himself? And asked him to give one palpatine clone for himself?

Great.

Alliance
Originally posted by Kongu_Dude
I hate Zett Jukassa....mhm

Its annoying that it's Lucas' son...but that small sequence was the only part of 66 that I totally approve of.

Tangible God
They shot Secura five times because she's blue. Pure and simple.

I would follow 66, because I wouldn't want to be executed for not doing it.

Velkyn
Kinda funny they all have the force connection that was seen in Episode one to provide some sort of psychic, if you will ability..(anakin's ability to race pods with it, and Qui-Gonn knowing he would win)

...Yet Obi Wan was the only one that had some sort of bad feeling about this kind of thing.

Lighthammer
So by that logic, the Empire's is the Star Wars version of the Republican party.

Kongu_Dude
Originally posted by Alliance
Its annoying that it's Lucas' son...but that small sequence was the only part of 66 that I totally approve of.

That makes sence....ermm

lord_radar1
Originally posted by Velkyn
Kinda funny they all have the force connection that was seen in Episode one to provide some sort of psychic, if you will ability..(anakin's ability to race pods with it, and Qui-Gonn knowing he would win)

...Yet Obi Wan was the only one that had some sort of bad feeling about this kind of thing.

Actually Yoda sensed it not Obi Wan. That is why he was able to kill the troopers before they killed him. Obi Wan survived simply because the clones missed him and when he fell into the water they assumed no one could have survived the fall. That scene, coincidentally, was one of the saddest for me to watch, Boga was the best of all of the SW creatures. stick out tongue

Quinlan_Vos
Each clone shot Aayla once, and they thought just for the sake of it, they pulled their triggers a couple of more times.

Cybervader
The clones turn ruthless. It foreshadows the nature of the stormtroopers in the OT. They murdered Owen and Beru. They were so burnt. Poor Luke. sad

Darth Subjekt
They dont have a choice in the matter do they? I thought it was built into their DNA...you cant be friends with someone (OB1 and Cody) and then all of a sudden just hate him...and yes i know Anakin did, but thats COMPLETEly different. Cody had no reason to hate him or want him dead that badly...even if following orders.

Alliance
They were obedient. A clone soldier was not going to sit there an question orders when there is a battle going on and a traitor that could do serious damage to the GAR in the ranks.

Shoot now, ask questions later.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.