The dog in POTC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

diddly-dum
What role does the dog in the movies play a part as???

ivebeendepped43
the key guard!

diddly-dum
oKAY,.. BUT THEY COULD HAVE HAD A REGULAR GUY DO THA!

Chiki Mina
so true.

but i think they just wanted it to make it cute-funny by adding a dog. thinking that it would be easy getting the dog to get the keys i dunno.
lol

ivebeendepped43
idk. i guess the dog was way cooler

diddly-dum
more like more adorible!

ivebeendepped43
yeah, true

evilm0nki3
he's on the ride so... yeah smile

Chiki Mina
and made it big wink

diddly-dum
Sure did!! But realyy what signifigance does he play??

katelovespirate
yeah the dog is just a grab off from the ride.

its like, one of the major selling points of the ride. its always been everyone's favorite. big grin

plus, they throw in animals for the kids. like the monkey. LoL

mmoviejunkie
didn't lovely one say that he was jack??

diddly-dum
I thought the monkey was there to get shot,....

diddly-dum
ANyone else have any thought??

LovelyOne
In my opinion lol (theory)

Its supposed to resemble whats going on with the of character Jack too..honestly..it basically simplifies everything Jack does both emotionally and physically especially in move 2..his actions are pretty much mirrored to Jacks in movie 1..and 2

the script writers's rule is "never kill the dog" who is the rogue of the story.. so IMO they kinda use the dog for joke purposes with the ride and they also use him to portray Jack IMO..cuz adding something pointless like that you just dont do in the movies..it has to have a bit of meaning behind it..its not a ride its a movie...

He basically shows us whats really going on with Jack cuz he's one of those characters who you rarley see show their emotions..he is a total enigma..it would be really un Jackish to show his emotions(weaknesses) like that so the dog basically shows you flat out what is happening with him.

diddly-dum
how so?

LovelyOne
I cant explain all of it..its too long lol

basically the dog/Jack gives up his old way of life keys/Material possessions and accepts the bone/Love and it makes him a king/hero..but he only does it for one person..cuz he's a pirate..he's only willing to change for one and no one else lol...I think..

at the end once the dog has dropped the keys and bravley protected the ones he loves so they could get away on the ship..we see him sitting on a thrown with the bone in his mouth instead of the keys...which means he has his ultimate prize/Liz/love

LovelyOne
Just spotted something that shows the dog is Jack in movie 1 too.

When the dog runs off with the keys (clutching onto his old way of life) Jack basically runs and picks up his material objects and underneath is a SET OF KEYS! symbolism! I love you

PIRATES=SEX
i totally agree with that

taurusbaby0509
I never thought of that. I'm so bad at analyzing things and this forum has opened my eyeeeees to so much in these movies.. It's amazing how much there is beneath the surface...

LovelyOne
Just spotted something that shows the dog is Jack in movie 1 too.

When the dog runs off with the keys (clutching onto his old way of life) Jack basically runs and picks up his material objects and underneath is a SET OF KEYS! symbolism! I love you

Just to add on what I mean:

Tis symbolic of the way Jack is as a person..think about it Jack=the dog

he's tempted by love but is not quite ready to take..instead he runs off with his "keys"(material possessions) instead of loving a human ( accepting the bone from one person)..

movie 2..look at what the dog has in his mouth after the credits..and all will become clear..Jack has changed for someone..he's got something new in his life to love and protect from danger big grin

the dog basically mirrors whats going on with him physically and emotionally when it comes to Elizabeth in both movies although its less obvious in movie 1 but its there. Movie 2? It's as clear as day he basically does what jack does to liz on the pearl (abandons like a coward) then all of a sudden he no longer has the keys in his mouth, he's no longer a coward he barks in the face of danger and he sacrifices himself so they can all escape..by the end? He has a big fat bone in his mouth..oh I wonder what that could mean? LOL..and it doesnt mean he's changed for everyone..he's changed for one person..when the dog had lots of people trying to tempt him to change he wouldnt..but when it was one? He showed an interest.

...honestly watch closely and you will see how he mirrors Jack and everything that happens with Elizabeth. Especially the ending of movie 1..I'll just say he left with a little bit more than the horizon on his mind. "drink up me hearties yo ho!" - who taught him that song and who did he sing it with?..who is he deciding to leave behind despite showing an interest in?

dog did that when we saw him..he showed an interest in taking the bone but NOP he ran away with his keys (old way of life)

Jack is a tough character to analyze on the surface because if they showed you him all emotional etc it would ruin his character.He is a master of hiding his emotions..so IMO the dog is there to basically show you flat out whats really going on uderneath the enigma that is Jack Sparrow

shannstar79
The Dog is a key point in the Disney world and Disney land rides there is a jail scene in the ride just like the movie, I am sure thats why they put the Dg in the movie, to have references from the ride in the movie

LovelyOne
yeah but you dont just add a dog randomly into a movie just for a cheap laugh ..I'ts not a ride it's a story. And nothing is added into a story to be pointless...IMO they have added it in because of the ride for a joke..but they have also given it further meaning because it just being there and meaning nothing would be stupid and pointless to the rest of the world who have never seen the ride..they give everything they add into this movie its own plot lol. And the dog mirrors Jack himself as well as being a joke in the movie.

Think of Ted and Terry's (script writers rule): "never kill the dog" which is the rogue of the story so yeah its Jack (audio commentary movie 1) They have the dog appear to die in movie 2 and then we see he's alive again? Just like Jack

The dog means more than just a joke..he's Jack

I've actually got a post where you can put everything the dog does in movie 2 next to everything Jack does in movie 2 and it explains everything thats going on in his mind whrn it comes to Elizabeth.

shannstar79
sure I didnt mean that it means nothing All I mean was its also a reference to the ride that people can relate to who have ridden the ride and seen the movie. Not all people analyze a movie the way we have, I agree it was put in for areson as well but I also believe It was put in as a reminder of the ride thats all I meant, and if you want to get truthfull Walt disney ment for Pirates of the Caribbean ride to be a story as well not just a ride that is on the hidden disc collection from potc
smile

LovelyOne
Its only the americans who know about the dog refrence to the ride lol...the rest of the world dont so they had to give it a tad more meaning in my opinion lollaughing out loud

shannstar79
heheh have you been to Disney !!! more Forgieners go than AMericans ahahahha Its true!!! any way I do completly agree ith you, I think in the fist movie it was the dog was put in for a reference to the ride, But by bringing the dog back in film two they gave it more meaning and depth! smile

LovelyOne
never been but want to go. big grin

I think the dog did have meaning in movie 1 too it was meant to be him IMO. Because we just see the dog run off with the keys (typical way of life) rather than accepting love and affection from one person..then we see Jack basically go and grab his material "precious possessions" and underneath is a set of keys lol laughing out loud

its basically shwing you what Jack is like as a person: materialistic..would rather cling onto his own saftey and old way of life instead of accepting the bone(love) from another human being...but its shows us that he's tempted..and that there may be a chance in the future lol..he's just not ready for it..by movie 2 he still has the keys but has 2 new friends..(one more affectionate towards him than the other)..laughing out loud then all of a sudden we see him act like a coward lose the keys, become brave for those he loves, sacrifises himself and by the end of it he has the bone in his mouth..IMO meaning he has Liz and he wants to protect her now..he's changed because of her...he has a new obligation in life and its Elizabeth.

shannstar79
you are so good I love readuing yourpost always full of great theroys and ideassmile
you HVE to go to Disney Sometime!! you ll be sorry you waited this long to go big grin

evilm0nki3
You've never been to Disney!?!?! Oh my... you must go... It's the happiest place on earth, you know!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.