Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Fresh new video from the TGS 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tMOMRboWs&eurl=

(camera is little shaky but once there is a more clear video I'll posted)

Yes! It's an RPG directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi (FF)

Enjoy!

Burning thought
hmm...IMO its spoilt by being one of those turn based final fantasy like games, i was hoping to run around in real time when i saw that video and slice through my enemies, it looks ok but spoilt by turn based sad

BackFire
Nice find, WD. Game looks good, can't wait.

IceJaw
Weird helmets no expression

WrathfulDwarf
I love those swords!

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by Burning thought
hmm...IMO its spoilt by being one of those turn based final fantasy like games, i was hoping to run around in real time when i saw that video and slice through my enemies, it looks ok but spoilt by turn based sad

better than being filled with metrosexual fanboy/girl dreams with about as much personality as cardboard that SquareEnix keeps pumping out. i'm hoping this game, along with MistWalker's other game Blue Dragon, push them up and possibly above Squeenix, just because Hironobu was the only person who could get the FF series right

WrathfulDwarf
Looks better

WrathfulDwarf
I got screen shots of actual gameplay. big grin

WrathfulDwarf
Another one:

WrathfulDwarf
One more...

WrathfulDwarf
Well, here is the review from IGN.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849927p1.html

You guys still think is worth it?

I'll be still checking it out.

Lana
I'm getting it, naturally. Can't wait for this game, if there's one thing the 360 lacks it's good RPGs, and I've been a fan of turn-based/J-RPGs for a long time.

Blax_Hydralisk
Really? We had no idea 131

BackFire
Yeah, this one looks good.

Gametrailers posted their review -- http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30356.html

They liked it.

I'll probably be picking it up.

InnerRise
I've been planning on getting this game for a long time now.

Though it was said a lot of time is devoted to doing mundane tasks almost as if to justify all 4 discs for this 1 game.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

DigiMark007
It looks almost cliche. Which isn't necessarily bad. But the combat, story, etc. all seem ripped from earlier games, just with updated graphics and a new world. If you like JRPG's, then cool, this is another solid offering. But reading through the articles and watching the videos, I can't say it did anything for me. There either needs to be an amazing story (Mass Effect, for example) or some superb gameplay elements (Oblivion, for example) for me to down another 50+ hours into an RPG these days.

Anyway, the trailers are cool but there's a lot to be said for gameplay elements over cool looking swords. Also, mixing medieval and tech in games can be done (FF series) but generally gets the thumb down from me...I lose my suspension of disbelief when, say, my dude is fighting a Star Wars-esque tank unit with a big sword and leather armor.

Morridini

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Lana
I'm getting it, naturally. Can't wait for this game, if there's one thing the 360 lacks it's good RPGs, and I've been a fan of turn-based/J-RPGs for a long time.

Dark Messiah looks promising. I am fairly excited to play lost odyssey though.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It looks almost cliche. Which isn't necessarily bad. But the combat, story, etc. all seem ripped from earlier games, just with updated graphics and a new world. If you like JRPG's, then cool, this is another solid offering. But reading through the articles and watching the videos, I can't say it did anything for me. There either needs to be an amazing story (Mass Effect, for example) or some superb gameplay elements (Oblivion, for example) for me to down another 50+ hours into an RPG these days.

Anyway, the trailers are cool but there's a lot to be said for gameplay elements over cool looking swords. Also, mixing medieval and tech in games can be done (FF series) but generally gets the thumb down from me...I lose my suspension of disbelief when, say, my dude is fighting a Star Wars-esque tank unit with a big sword and leather armor.

completely agree. it does look like redone games stuck together. personally what i find retardeda bout this game is it has short stories, instead of cutscenes. so no cutscenes about his past, just blocks of text. im gonna get the game, because i can lol, but i think realtime rpgs are better

InnerRise
This game does have cutscenes..........

ESB -1138
This game looks pretty good.

InnerRise
"But intertwined with the main plot are several smaller stories that are intriguing, engaging, and adult. No, not "bare-assed blue aliens" adult, but mature nonetheless."

Ha.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by chickenlover98
completely agree. it does look like redone games stuck together. personally what i find retardeda bout this game is it has short stories, instead of cutscenes. so no cutscenes about his past, just blocks of text. im gonna get the game, because i can lol, but i think realtime rpgs are better

That's because you're a kid, and most youth today is action obsessed and can barely stand something unless its a shooter.

stick out tongue

JRPG's can be great. I just won't be buying this particular one.

Lana
Well, I'm a few hours into this game, and so far I like it a lot. It very much holds an FF vibe for me...also helps that every time Jansen opens his mouth I end up laughing.

I also like that the dreams you can save to watch later. I've watched most of the ones that I've gotten so far, but there's a few where I just felt like moving on so I got it, saved it, and will look later.

But yeah, so far, great game I think. It's not FFX but I don't think there'll ever be a game like that ever again stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
It's not FFX but I don't think there'll ever be a game like that ever again stick out tongue heh.. indeed

ragesRemorse
I'm a dozen hours into the game. For the most part it is nothing new and, although, it does offer some new strategical elements into the turn based Rpg's. It feels very much like a typical rpg. These arent complaints, because im quite happy and satisfied with the game, but i was expecting something different. My only gripe with the game is the loading times. We are talking FF7 loading times, and more of them. THe loading times really can make the game tedious to play at times.

Lana
I don't think the load times are too bad - I mean, games like this are going to have load times that are longer than, say, a shooter or something.

Anyway, the more I play this game, the more I love it. It pretty much IS a Final Fantasy game - the point where at work we decided that Final Fantasy XI doesn't exist anymore in our minds, and Lost Odyssey is FFXI.

ragesRemorse
I don't think the load times are too bad - I mean, games like this are going to have load times that are longer than, say, a shooter or something.

Anyway, the more I play this game, the more I love it. It pretty much IS a Final Fantasy game - the point where at work we decided that Final Fantasy XI doesn't exist anymore in our minds, and Lost Odyssey is FFXI.

Having to sit through a 10-15 second load screen before every battle and everytime i open a door is just unacceptable.

You are definitely right, this game is everything that final fantasy 12 should have been. I can overlook the poor decision of Xi. It was only a matter of time before FF got involved in MMORPG's. I would also like to tip my hat to the voice acting of Lost odyssey. It is a great unexpected aspect of the game.

Lana
The loads are not that long. I think the longest one I've seen so far was about 5 seconds.

Outbound
How the hell do I beat that first boss (the griffin thingy)? He just uses 2 attacks to completely kill me off. Im using fire spells and Kaim is equipped with a fire thing on his sword but I dont think theres any health indicator so I dont know how far off I am from killing it...

General Kaliero
What level are you? I was 13 when I beat the griffin beast. Also use someone to heal every turn (I used Seth).

Lana
I was level 15...

You need to have Jansen casting Flare every turn, keep your Guard Condition as high as you can, and it's best if you have a Power Drink, to have Kaim use it. Seth should always be healing or defending.

Outbound
Hmm...Im level 12 or 13 at the moment. I use Kaim (white magic) to attack or heal, Seth (black magic) to use flare and Jansen to either heal or use flare.

Ill try having Seth defend, not sure what the Power drink does yet but Ill see if it works.

The monsters in this game are cool, I like those little green frog things with helmets, they're funny..

Lana
Kelolons are funny laughing out loud

Yeah, level up a bit more. And the Power Drink will boost Kaim's attack up so that he'll be able to make more powerful attacks.

Outbound
I went back after that last post and beat it without dying, got stuck on the part at the Grand Staff against the worm things for like an hour and a half, frustrating to repeat so many times but fun to try new techniques, then I figured out the mechanics of combat and beat them without even losing 1/4 of my health.

What level do you get Spirit magic and the other one at?

Lana
No idea, I think you're ahead of me already. I'm at Grand Staff but I haven't yet fought the boss. I really need to ban my brother from the 360 for a while.

Rewmac
The loads are not that long. I think the longest one I've seen so far was about 5 seconds. Then you haven't really played. There loading times like hell. I hate 'em, the game loads every single thing via loading screen, but I don't care since this is the best game out so far.

Lana
I've got about 14 hours of playtime (which, frankly, is a lot less than I'd normally have by this point). Pretty sure that's more than enough playtime to judge that the loads are not that long.

Outbound
The loading times are nothing, they pop up a lot but only last 5 secs, so whats the complaining about? The IGN guy said on the video review that loading times go from 30 sec to 2min, and takes 20secs to get into combat, that is just a lie, saving the game takes longer than the loading times.

Im stuck in the witch's mansion, or whatever it is, havent played in a week or so. Its irritating as hell cause I dont have any mana potions, so everytime Jansen or Ming run out of MP I have to run back to the savepoint and Im not progressing cause theres a random battle every 3 seconds...wish there was an option to run away from combat.

Lana
There is stick out tongue

Just go to the left and select flee. And equip someone with the Turn-Tail Shoes so that they have the turn-tail skill so that it'll automatically work.

What level are you anyway? I just hit 23 in there (using Seth, Kaim, Jansen, Mack, and Ming) and I am having no troubles.

CaptainStoic
I have the game sitting on my counter staring at me, but for some reason I had no urge to play it. I'm really glad that I came here to see what others thought of it. I guess I'll give it a shot.

Outbound
There is stick out tongue

Just go to the left and select flee. And equip someone with the Turn-Tail Shoes so that they have the turn-tail skill so that it'll automatically work.

What level are you anyway? I just hit 23 in there (using Seth, Kaim, Jansen, Mack, and Ming) and I am having no troubles.

I didnt know that dammit

Not sure, I think 21 or something. I use the same characters you've got.

If characters die in combat, do they get experience or not? I've noticed some of them seem to be leveling slower than the others, and they are the ones that tend to die more often...

Lana
Nope, don't get exp if they die in the fight. Though the immortals tend to only stay 'dead' a few turns.

Should have spent more time running around inside the palace in Numara - that's a great place to level, I found. Fights weren't difficult and you could reasonably go up a level every second or third fight. I also spent a lot of time in the Crimson Forest trying to find that last damned crystal fragment so I went up a level in there as well.

Just backtrack to Tosca and buy some more items, though, if you're having trouble - if you're anything like me you've got tons of money and nothing to really spend it on ermm

Outbound
I played again last night, was actually lvl 26 and I figured out how to beat the mansion, was pretty easy. I think Im lvl 30 or so, just finished the 2nd disc, the first took me 10hrs, the second only took 5hrs...

I just kept fighting on to Saman (I think?) and found a merchant to stock up on items, its annoying having 40k and theres nothing to buy....they really needed to put some high level weapons that cost 20k+ to make it worth saving...

Phat J
so this game is good just not reinventing the wheel? i havent played a good rpg like this in a long long time. maybe i'll pick it up.

videogames are too expensive these days though, how many hours do you get out of it, anybody beaten it yet?

Lana
I've not beaten it myself, and the number of hours you get out of it depends on if you speed through or do side stuff. I'm at the start of disc 3 and have about 22 hours; one of my friends was, last I spoke to him, at the end of disc 3 and had 49 hours.

Kapton JAC
I just started the playing the game last week, It's fun, better than I expected.

Morridini
My copy of this game just came in the mail, gonna try out this weekend.

Kapton JAC
This game is longer than most games I've played. I'm at thirty hours, just going through the story, and I'm only about 1/2 way through disc 3.

Morridini
Quick question, if I remember correctly we can change between English and Japanese voice actors. Has anyone tried both? Which one fits better? For me English is just as well as Japanese, as I am used to reading subtitles anyway.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by Morridini
Quick question, if I remember correctly we can change between English and Japanese voice actors. Has anyone tried both? Which one fits better? For me English is just as well as Japanese, as I am used to reading subtitles anyway.

I never tried that... I may have to...

Phat J
maybe i will pick it up. love me a good old fashioned rpg.

id definitely be putting the subtitles on, voice acting ruined all the rpgs ive played that have had it.

Kapton JAC
It's a great game, I'm at like 49 or 50 hours (but I've been doing side-quests since I started disk 4)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.