Silver Surfer vs. The Mangog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Betageuze
Mangog is a opponent for Thor...

so he has to be an opponent .. for SS

who wins ?

Thanos_1971
Good call here.

trolly_crouchjr
Im Going with SS cos i dont think their gonna get physical here

Horrificus
Mangog wins.
Odin also uses energy and magic attacks, and Mangog mangled him as well as all of Asgard.
Mangog also has matter manipulation abilities, energy blasts, etc.
If Odin, Thor, and the entire mystic might of Asgard's defenses can't hurt Mangog, niether can the SS.
And, SS DOES get physical.

Crease
What he said.

One Big Mob
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69316/1755075-dptu883oroboroscps025.jpg
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69316/1755077-dptu883oroboroscps029.jpg
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69316/1755078-dptu883oroboroscps031.jpg

?

zopzop
Originally posted by One Big Mob
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69316/1755075-dptu883oroboroscps025.jpg
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69316/1755077-dptu883oroboroscps029.jpg
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69316/1755078-dptu883oroboroscps031.jpg

?
laughing thumb up

leonidas
pretty sure non-canon...?

One Big Mob
Originally posted by leonidas
pretty sure non-canon...? I don't even know why this became a thing. Anyway

https://imgur.com/UW7LoOT

leonidas
nope, me neither. who you think wins this odd match up? feels like ss SHOULD win, but given what gog did to asgard...? i dunno.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Come on old man leo. We didn't need Mangog tearing up Asgard to know he'd beat the utter shit out of the Silver Surfer.

Maybe he can win through bfr. Otherwise, he gets ripped in half.

StiltmanFTW
pretty sure non-canon...?

Deadpool Team-Up was canon. Even that issue.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Deadpool_Team-Up_Vol_1_883

leonidas
i dunno man. do we just assume he's immune to say, matter manip? thor once blew him up from the inside. war thor tried the same with his hammer, but though straight force didn't work maybe something more exotic would. this seems like it would be like his battle with lunatik--ss couldn't do a damn thing to harm him, or really even threaten him, so he went exotic. that's my problem with trying to call these types of fights. we never saw anyone even try anything except brawling and concussive energy. if gog grabbed him ss would be in trouble, but intangibility for example would that tough. if ss flew in and tried blasting him he would have no chance. but fighting using all his power set? like i said, i dunno.

DarkSaint85
As if Leo knows what Surfer can do....

leonidas
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Deadpool Team-Up was canon. Even that issue.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Deadpool_Team-Up_Vol_1_883

huh. could have sworn that wasn't canon. read it somewhere when i was looking at his battle against surfer. /shrug

One Big Mob
huh. could have sworn that wasn't canon. read it somewhere when i was looking at his battle against surfer. /shrug Originally posted by One Big Mob

https://imgur.com/UW7LoOT

I don't think there's a single source outside forum rumors saying it's non canon. Either way, it was referenced in that scan I posted that is 4 years after the issue, so...

StiltmanFTW
huh. could have sworn that wasn't canon. read it somewhere when i was looking at his battle against surfer. /shrug

It was probably discredited for being a Deadpool comic, I guess? I also recall some KMC discussions on the matter of its canonicity. It's been a while (seven years in fact, lol).

Still, Bran provided proof from The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl that it indeed "counts"...

Rage.Of.Olympus
When it was posted, the last page had the Destroyer and a bunch of other "unlikely" characters such as Morg or whatever IIRC sitting around in a Herald's AA meeting. Then some Superman mark said it's probably non-canon.

I don't like declaring comics non-canon just because we don't like what they depict. But that comic was clearly very silly and playing fast and loose AF with continuity.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
When it was posted, the last page had the Destroyer and a bunch of other "unlikely" characters such as Morg or whatever IIRC sitting around in a Herald's AA meeting. Then some Superman mark said it's probably non-canon.

I don't like declaring comics non-canon just because we don't like what they depict. But that comic was clearly very silly and playing fast and loose AF with continuity. Surfer throws Mangog into the sun... nay, Surfer throws the sun into Mangog. thumb up

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

I don't like declaring comics non-canon just because we don't like what they depict. But that comic was clearly very silly and playing fast and loose AF with continuity.

"I don't like it, it didn't happen."

They don't care about continuity these days... whether it's a silly DP comic or not, it doesn't matter.

Several characters came back to life in Wolverine's mini (in which he died), for example. With no explanation at all. That book is still canon.

leonidas
maybe it was the silliness of the issue that made it...questionable. is squirrel girl considered canon for example? i mean not too long ago loki summoned ego and bill and a host of others and ss single handily--and effortlessly--beat the sh!t out of all of them. canon? i'm not so sure that would count. or do we say canon, and just discount it because it's in squirrel girl? hard to place books that are so clearly meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

One Big Mob
So you think a non canon book referred back to a non canon book to show that Deadpool was once a herald?

The Squirrel Girl issue also said that the Thor Horse existed in canon and was retconned into every old comic although off panel. It also says it's a true Howard the Duck story and referenced his story iirc.

You also used scans from that issue in your tourney too.

It's all canon. It just depends how much you care to acknowledge just like everything else.

leonidas
i did use scans, but not to support anything...important. meh. maybe. in an argument those types of books don't hold up though and are given no credence. unless you think loki really can insta-summon ego, command him like a slave while simultaneously believing ss can effortlessly swat him away like a bug? or maybe you think ghost squirrels can beat the holy hell out of an amped dormammu? sh!t may be canon, but for all the weight it holds it might as well not be. /shrug

StiltmanFTW

You also used scans from that issue in your tourney too.

laughing out loud

Beautifully pwned thumb up

One Big Mob
i did use scans, but not to support anything...important. meh. maybe. in an argument those types of books don't hold up though and are given no credence. unless you think loki really can insta-summon ego, command him like a slave while simultaneously believing ss can effortlessly swat him away like a bug? or maybe you think ghost squirrels can beat the holy hell out of an amped dormammu? sh!t may be canon, but for all the weight it holds it might as well not be. /shrug The only thing you said wrong there was Loki doing anything of importance. A ghost Squirrel army beating Dorm sounds pretty inline with canon. Afterall SG beat a potentially universal ending Thanos previously with her tricks. Ego sucks though, and he was just bfred, not knocked out. Surfer's superslap is potent.

Anyway, that's a slippery slope to take. Especially when Bendis is an active writer, and the whole Jason Aaron fiasco. Everything is canon. It's up to you what parts you wish to accept or decline. That's all I'm saying. I'm not here to convince you that Surfer can slap a Thor Horse around, I'm just here to tell you it's canon, which was your initial issue with the Sunpool scans. I'm well aware what should or should not count towards feats or averages.

You also used a scan from an issue where Surfer blew off the hand of someone with the full IG and disassembled the Gauntlet. I'll have to add that they were talking to each other because Mr Master senses everytime I bring this up, but they were never said to weaken his power.

leonidas
lol at stilt's chubby. tournaments are tournaments and "probably" shouldn't be taken as proof of.....anything. lol i said i wasn't SURE if it was canon. if it wasn't he could have tried proving it. tbh i'm actually not even sure anymore which scan you're talking about. i used one to close my last post, but that was meaningless. nor do i know what you're talking about with the ig users hand being blown off. in other news, spidey beat up firelord too. i'm not talking about one-off showings.

you're trying to generalize with this slippery slope talk. it's not slippery at all imo because i'm talking SPECIFICALLY about sg and given the nature of the book it may as well be non-canon, at least as far as i'm concerned. and given the weight the feats depicted in it are given, it might as well be non-canon to the forum as well.

One Big Mob
lol at stilt's chubby. tournaments are tournaments and "probably" shouldn't be taken as proof of.....anything. lol i said i wasn't SURE if it was canon. if it wasn't he could have tried proving it. tbh i'm actually not even sure anymore which scan you're talking about. i used one to close my last post, but that was meaningless. nor do i know what you're talking about with the ig users hand being blown off. in other news, spidey beat up firelord too. i'm not talking about one-off showings.

you're trying to generalize with this slippery slope talk. it's not slippery at all imo because i'm talking SPECIFICALLY about sg and given the nature of the book it may as well be non-canon, at least as far as i'm concerned. and given the weight the feats depicted in it are given, it might as well be non-canon to the forum as well. You used two scans as two different closers. Not much purpose, but scans nonetheless. The IG hand being blown off was from your circle of lightspeed around Deathurge.

Have you actually read the full series of SG Leo? It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be. It's no worse than Deadpool, Moon Girl, or those classic Stan Lee comics. The art is garbage, and there's that "quirk", but the "really dumb things" are actually few and far between and don't really impact much. Hell it treated Rhino better than 90 percent of his appearances. Dr Doom got his revenge... kind of. It's not as bad as her previous showings.
You can disagree with the Surfer showing, but calling the whole book "non canon" is pretty far fetched.
For being Tumblr shit, it makes tons and tons of references to current and classic issues, treats shittily written characters fairly well. Tries to explain most of the things it does, and other things. There's a lot more effort put into it than anything Bendis has written in the past 5 years. I'm not saying it doesn't have dumb things, but it's no more numerous than any other series that has hit 30 issues. You'd have an easier time explaining the Ego thing than what Ewing was doing in some issues for example. Or why Aaron had three Thors with hammers go into a sun a couple years ago but...

Had SG been like the older stories in Great Lakes Avengers where she just beat everything, I think you'd have more merit. As it stands now, they toned it down considerably. I'm not a fan of that tumblr quirk though

abhilegend
What I get from bran is that Surfer is only powerful in comedy books and you shouldn't take that seriously.

Philosophía
It's hard to take it as canon. I mean, it's absurd to a ridiculous level .

I see it similar to the Edifice Rex comic. Galactus grabbing and actually biting planets and stuff? I can't consider that shit valid.

It's also not worth the hassle just to..erm...have a feat where Surfer makes a big energy ball Dragon Ball Z style.

leonidas
@bran--you're misinterpreting--i said it was ridiculous and hard for me to consider canon. i didn't say it was shit. i've read several of the earlier issues and a bunch of the later ones. i actually lo'd for real on a number of occasions. i'm not saying it doesn't have its place, or its charms. i'm saying it has no place in the forum and that the absurd nature of the book treats its place in 'canon' with...irreverence, at best.

@phil--the big ball was pretty cool though. laughing out loud

and am i the only one that can see ss making this a match...? embarrasment

abhilegend
Yes, Surfer folds like a paper most of the time when he fights a superior opponent.

Mindship
Didn't Surfer defeat Mangog via the purity of his soul? I know that wasn't a canon fight, and so it didn't actually happen; but does that necessarily mean it couldn't happen?

I really don't see Surfer beating Mangog otherwise ... although given how Surfer survived onslaughts from Tenebrous and Aegis, I'm not sure how much damage Mangog could actually do to Surfer, either. Then again, does Thanos hit harder than T & A?

Mostly I see this as a fight where Mangog tosses and punches Surfer around like a rag doll ... unless Mangog hits as hard or harder than Thanos, or T & A.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Mindship
Didn't Surfer defeat Mangog via the purity of his soul? I know that wasn't a canon fight, and so it didn't actually happen; but does that necessarily mean it couldn't happen?

I really don't see Surfer beating Mangog otherwise ... although given how Surfer survived onslaughts from Tenebrous and Aegis, I'm not sure how much damage Mangog could actually do to Surfer, either. Then again, does Thanos hit harder than T & A?

Mostly I see this as a fight where Mangog tosses and punches Surfer around like a rag doll ... unless Mangog hits as hard or harder than Thanos, or T & A.
T&A almost killed Surfer in four attacks and they are weakened elder gods.

It's like asking how can Thor lose to Mangog when he survived celestials.

Mindship
Originally posted by abhilegend
It's like asking how can Thor lose to Mangog when he survived celestials. Good question.

Philosophía

and am i the only one that can see ss making this a match...? embarrasment It was funny, true. But, like you I believe, I'm not in agreement with taking these 'loose/no continuity or even characterization' stuff as forum arguments.

Ignoring 'teh sun' stuff, I can see SS making it a match by flying away, and keeping the distance. Mangog can jump really hard, but then again, Surfer can phase. He could open a black hole that would immobilize him, and just pick him apart with whatever he can. It's there that it becomes a bit debatable, as I don't think Surfer has relative portrayals that can really put him down, or even damage him really hard. Mangog was pretty 'Doomsday'-ish in his portrayal, if you catch my drift. But Surfer can at least stop him from getting close/hitting him.

celeyhyga17
Mango juice. Then again Surfer can create uru chains, tie the board on one end, have it speed around Mango to tie him up, then send him into the sun.

Otherwise, Mango.

One Big Mob

One Big Mob
@bran--you're misinterpreting--i said it was ridiculous and hard for me to consider canon. i didn't say it was shit. i've read several of the earlier issues and a bunch of the later ones. i actually lo'd for real on a number of occasions. i'm not saying it doesn't have its place, or its charms. i'm saying it has no place in the forum and that the absurd nature of the book treats its place in 'canon' with...irreverence, at best.

and am i the only one that can see ss making this a match...? embarrasment So it's not shit? It's canon, but it should be counted as basically non canon because of your guidelines?

I will keep this in mind next time I don't like something being used here.

DarkSaint85
Plus it removes all of Batman's feats for example.

Then where does it end? Jane beats Shi Ar gods, gets choked out by their Guardians, fights Mangog whilst struggling with Hulk etc....

Writers care not one wit about power levels.

leonidas
So it's not shit? It's canon, but it should be counted as basically non canon because of your guidelines?

I will keep this in mind next time I don't like something being used here.

lol (a) you're free to interpret material anyway you'd like, and (b) you're the one who said:

and let's face it, that isn't breaking news. in fact, you're describing absolutely nothing new at all. arguments about what is and isn't pis take up full threads and will continue to do so. but you're speaking in generalities--again and so is ds. i'm speaking specifically about sg and how i view the material in it. pis works as well as non-canon for me. but next time you see me arguing for something in squirrel girl, yur free to remind me of this discussion.

StiltmanFTW
Those heralds appeared only in the final panel which was meant purely for comic relief, so it's not a big deal, anyway...

Nuke just died in the Captain America comic and Marvel didn't think twice about bringing him back for Death of Wolverine mini - with not a single word of explanation.

Dr. Cornelius was killed by Maverick years ago, Marvel had no trouble making him the main villain of that arc.

Cyber died not too long ago, he was brought back just so he could die again laughing out loud

Ogun coming back makes sense I guess, not that Marvel tried to explain it in a single sentence.

----

DP and Surfer fight was f*cking awesome, that's how genuine heralds should always get portrayed. Asgard sucks.

leonidas
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Plus it removes all of Batman's feats for example.

Then where does it end? Jane beats Shi Ar gods, gets choked out by their Guardians, fights Mangog whilst struggling with Hulk etc....

Writers care not one wit about power levels.

of course they don't but none of that has any bearing on how i feel about SQUIRREL GIRL. i'm not talking about batman. like bran you're trying to generalize from my very specific point. this isn't a 'slippery slope'. just because i don't like squirrel girl as a reliable source of feats, doesn't mean suddenly the forum rules are burning and all sense of rationality has fled from me. laughing out loud i hate pis, and will invoke it only in extreme conditions. squirrel girl fits those conditions imo. not sure why my belief in that issue seems to bother you or bran, but i'm sure we'll all get over it.

Rage.Of.Olympus

One Big Mob
of course they don't but none of that has any bearing on how i feel about SQUIRREL GIRL. i'm not talking about batman. like bran you're trying to generalize from my very specific point. this isn't a 'slippery slope'. just because i don't like squirrel girl as a reliable source of feats, doesn't mean suddenly the forum rules are burning and all sense of rationality has fled from me. laughing out loud i hate pis, and will invoke it only in extreme conditions. squirrel girl fits those conditions imo. not sure why my belief in that issue seems to bother you or bran, but i'm sure we'll all get over it. But your logic can be applied to other issues and people. What's to stop Carver from going around declaring everything as unusable because something was pis to him? I'm sure you remember how bad Quan used to be everytime someone brought up Squirrel Girl... apparently he was correct the whole time?
Your specific logic right now coming from you is you only speaking of SG. That doesn't mean someone else couldn't invent their own guidelines and take your tent poles and tweak them. You want it to only refer to this one thing, but it's not contained Leo. That is why these other things are seeping out.
You're putting a cage on Carver's penis and letting him roam a schoolyard. He still has his surprisingly thick fingers.

It's only a matter of time until Carver argues that everything Morrison wrote about Superman shouldn't count. God help us all.

As an aside, SG is anything but a reliable source of feats. 1 or two issue cameos stops that in its tracks. And I'm not saying Surfer slaps Ego, or throws a sun every thread (outside Thor related threads), I'm just saying that there's a better way to address this than just ruling the whole series as unusable because you laughed in a comic book (I know you didn't say those exact words before you say it).

StiltmanFTW
You're putting a cage on Carver's penis and letting him roam a schoolyard. He still has his surprisingly thick fingers.

laughing out loud

leonidas
But your logic can be applied to other issues and people. What's to stop Carver from going around declaring everything as unusable because something was pis to him? I'm sure you remember how bad Quan used to be everytime someone brought up Squirrel Girl... apparently he was correct the whole time?
Your specific logic right now coming from you is you only speaking of SG. That doesn't mean someone else couldn't invent their own guidelines and take your tent poles and tweak them. You want it to only refer to this one thing, but it's not contained Leo. That is why these other things are seeping out.

It's only a matter of time until Carver argues that everything Morrison wrote about Superman shouldn't count. God help us all.

that logic ALREADY exists bran. it's everywhere in the forum already. i'm speaking of myself regarding squirrel girl but i'm sure i've done some picking and choosing of pis in the past based on my interpretation of a scene. everyone has.
there's nothing to stop people from doing it. i can open 3 threads right now and find someone accusing someone of picking and choosing. it's old news, man. and i feel pretty safe in saying people aren't going to use my stance on sg to justify their own picks and choices. it's been going on way too long for my opinion on this particular issue to hold anyway sway. laughing out loud

One Big Mob
There's a difference between not liking one "feat" and not accounting for it, and saying everything that comes out of an entire series might as well be regarded as non canon... even though it very much is canon.

Also the ideals behind the Deadpool fight not counting on the forum are because of a herald meeting... which was non canon but then it was canon, but it should still be treated as non canon, because something happened that had nothing to do with the fight or any fight for that matter?

You don't like the feat, that's fine. Tell me why that feat goes against prior history or should be pis. Skirting around it just to rule out the source is questionable however. You're indirectly discounting most of SG's history doing that.

carver9

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

WTF

leonidas
There's a difference between not liking one "feat" and not accounting for it, and saying everything that comes out of an entire series might as well be regarded as non canon... even though it very much is canon.

Also the ideals behind the Deadpool fight not counting on the forum are because of a herald meeting... which was non canon but then it was canon, but it should still be treated as non canon, because something happened that had nothing to do with the fight or any fight for that matter?

You don't like the feat, that's fine. Tell me why that feat goes against prior history or should be pis. Skirting around it just to rule out the source is questionable however. You're indirectly discounting most of SG's history doing that.

what feat are you talking about that i don't like? the deadpool feat? i don't care about it either way. i thought it was sort of cool and had no idea if it was canon. you say it is, fine by me. i'd not call it pis.

portrayals of characters and situations in sg are typically out of character for most. loki summoning ego and having him attack ss. ss slapping them all so hard they traveled back to the planets they came from. solid durability feat for spiderman, being slapped through space for countless light years and landing on earth. fully in line with his history.

the nature of the book does not lend itself to a forum setting. not sure why you find that so egregious but that's how i see it. /shrug

squirrel girl herself is difficult to fit into a forum setting as well. but if you want to think she's the most powerful hero out there and able to beat up the marvel universe, and thanos, and whomever, cool. i'll pass and feel confident that anarchy won't overtake the forum because of my decision.

One Big Mob
You have opened the floodgates of Carver. I don't know how much longer I can hold him back

celeyhyga17
I don't put much stock on showings from DP, SG, GP books. However if they appear in say for example Avengers, Spidey, X books, I'd put more stock. Chicken stock.

leonidas
don't let bran hear you say that. sneer

celeyhyga17
I'm whispering directly into his ear.

My riot gear is on btw.

StiltmanFTW
You have opened the floodgates of Carver. I don't know how much longer I can hold him back

How one so old can be so irresponsible... leo, what the hell...

Carveralypse is coming...

One Big Mob
Why not just deny books? Half the forum is denying almost all of Namor's feats afterall. Or Thor going all out against Cho.

carver9
I have awaken. I sense my presence is needed here.

http://cartoondistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Funny-Hulk-memes-and-Pictures24-023.jpg

One Big Mob
Carver you're now allowed to deny entire comic book series if you find the feats that come out of there silly to you based on your own set of guidelines. Canon especially.

StiltmanFTW
Lord Leo commands so.

Go, carver. Harass and rape them all.

leonidas
my hold on the forum grows.... evillaugh

celeyhyga17
The only hold u have is on your old balls.

leonidas
sad

StiltmanFTW
Come here, leo.

We're not done yet.

Delta1938
I like how this was around a half dozen posts before dying out 12 years ago then a bump causes it to be almost entirely about arguing whether something is canon or not. And some healthy trolling each other, like Celey saying the only thing Leo has a hold on. Keeping it classy KMC!! laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.