Baten Kaitos Origins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

InnerRise
This game just came out today. It happens to be another Title that I've been looking forward, but just like many other games that I want to play. I probably won't be playing it.

Anybody have this game already or planning on getting it?

is it comprehensible.....

H. S. 6
The original Baten Kaitos was terribly boring. I wonder if this one is any better.

InnerRise
I can see how some would say that.

But the story was very good I think.

And the twists and turns were the best I've experienced out of any game.

I'm trying to think of the term.

I can't think of it.

Ummm.......

Any help?

shrug

I'll keep thinking.

Kero_Co
Oh Yeah! I'm leaving right now to buy this game, then I'm going to play it for 22 hours straight, and when I'm done I'm going to right a 17 page walkthrough.

That is, if I wasn't saving for the Wii. I loved Baten Kaitos's gameplay style and pretty backgrounds. I didn't really feel to many connections between the characters(except Mizuti and spirit me(I pwned, they couldn't do a thing without me wink ) Melodia was cool, if only for her creepy voice(and I don't mean the bad voice acting), and malpercio, who was a geek among evil gods bent on chaos, turned out to be pretty menacing in the end. The only thing I didn't like(again, not including the bad voices) was the way they killed a character only to bring that character back 2 minutes later, and melodia's awful blue hair.

Luckily, Metroid and Mario won't be coming out at launch, and I already paid off Zelda. Come christmas, the first game I'll pick up is Origin. I like how there are only three characters. They had time to develop them and there won't be that one party member you never use. (Savyna...Lulu...Colette).

InnerRise
Originally posted by Kero_Co
Oh Yeah! I'm leaving right now to buy this game, then I'm going to play it for 22 hours straight, and when I'm done I'm going to right a 17 page walkthrough.

That is, if I wasn't saving for the Wii. I loved Baten Kaitos's gameplay style and pretty backgrounds. I didn't really feel to many connections between the characters(except Mizuti and spirit me(I pwned, they couldn't do a thing without me wink ) Melodia was cool, if only for her creepy voice(and I don't mean the bad voice acting), and malpercio, who was a geek among evil gods bent on chaos, turned out to be pretty menacing in the end. The only thing I didn't like(again, not including the bad voices) was the way they killed a character only to bring that character back 2 minutes later, and melodia's awful blue hair.

Luckily, Metroid and Mario won't be coming out at launch, and I already paid off Zelda. Come christmas, the first game I'll pick up is Origin. I like how there are only three characters. They had time to develop them and there won't be that one party member you never use. (Savyna...Lulu...Colette).

I was glad they brought Xelha back to life.

The 3 characters I used were Xelha, Savyna, and Kalas.

I couldn't think of Kalas's name for the life of me.

The only reason I remember was b/c of Xelha.

I swear, she shouted Kalas's name a billion times in the game. It's drilled in my head.

"NOOOOO KALASSSSS!!!!"

Ha. But yeah, I liked the game a lot, although I don't know when I'll be getting this game or any others that I want since I'm going to be buying an iPod/Game System pretty soon.

Once I found out that it was Melodia, I was like god. I should have recognized her voice during all of those cutscenes when a voice was talking but we didn't know who it was.

Malpercio actually ended up being easy to beat. I was surprised.

Tallis
I liked the first one. Really fun. I was still shocked by the huge plot twist in the game. I've never seen a plot twist like that EVER in anything.

I'll buy this one soon. And I'll review. Also I loved Malpercio second form just beautifully chaotic

InnerRise
Originally posted by Tallis
I liked the first one. Really fun. I was still shocked by the huge plot twist in the game. I've never seen a plot twist like that EVER in anything.

I'll buy this one soon. And I'll review. Also I loved Malpercio second form just beautifully chaotic Maybe "Plot Twist" was what I was looking for in my above message. I don't know. I'm still thinking.

I think that's what I was referring to though when I couldn't think of the words.

InnerRise
Miraculously I got this game yesterday.

I like it thus far. I can tell by the way it's turning out to be that they plan to stay with the plot twist and some really big stuff is going to be revealed later in the game. It's kind of confusing right now what's going on in a number of things/situations, which I'm sure is how they want it for now.

When first meeting characters from the first Baten Kaitos game, it's kind of an awe moment, b/c you don't expect to, at least I didn't. I thought this game was Years and Years before the first one, but it's actually closer than I thought, timewise.

At first the changed to the card system put me off, and it still kind of does, but as I get better cards it's getting better, but I would still prefer the way it used to be.

They have it so all 3 players use the same deck, which can be a disadvantage when there's no cards up for specific characters on their turn and they can't attack or anything.

But as I get more cards and reconstruct my deck, I'm making it so the cards are better distributed.

As you raise in level, you can make new decks though. I'm at a point where I don't have enough cards to make another deck, so I'm not sure if when you make another deck you can assign it to the other characters or you must use the new deck that you just made instead of the old one that you're currently using and still use that one deck for 3 characters, so we'll see.

But I like it.

Too bad I can only play it on weekends. Throughout the week I'm up at college and don't really have space for my gamecube up here and I'm afraid that I'll mess it up like I did last year with my playstation 2 by sitting it over a heating vent. Yeah stupid me, but it wasn't actually on the vent, it was on a shelf above it, like 2 levels above it, but the shelf was made of rows of a black material with long openings along the bottom so I guess that was enough to mess it up.

So yeah. I'm still marked by that and am scared. I guess I could make room here on this desk and move some stuff. I'll think about it, b/c I really want to play that game more than just on the weekend.

As I said, I'm saving money up, so I didn't actually purchase the game myself. So when I found out I had a chance to get a game, I also had a spending limit. I was either going to get this or Okami, and since I played the First Baten Kaitos and wanted to continue the story and find out more I chose this. I have no ties to Okami so sadly I didn't pick it. Hopefully I'll get it though. Maybe for christmas. Maybe sooner.

InnerRise
Come on people. I'm playing this game now. Who else is playing this game. Any thoughts?

How do you like the little thing that's going on with the fainting and waking up in that other place?

Kind of confusing. It'll be interesting to see what it all turns out to be.

And it's sad with the wiping out of a whole village of people and them not knowing that they're just magnus now and not living anymore.

InnerRise
Originally posted by H. S. 6
The original Baten Kaitos was terribly boring. I wonder if this one is any better. This statement has stuck with me ever since I've read it and I don't know if my mind is just playing tricks on me or what but I'm beginning to wonder if this statement is ture or not.

At first, as you can see above, I was completely against it. Now as I'm playing it, that statement is getting to me and I fear that it may be true, but I won't admit it. Maybe I never should have read that message and I would be ok.

I don't even find myself looking forward to playing it like I did the last one.

I didn't even play it this weekend when I went home. eek

That's a shocker.

You better believe when I get FFXII that this game will not be getting any kind of love until I'm done.

General Kaliero
I remember Baten Kaitos... it was hailed as this awesome game with a revolutionary battle system and an excellent story and beautiful lands and good music and whatnot.

Then, in the first few minutes I decided that the voice acting was the worst I have ever heard in a game. It is the ONLY game I ever owned where I actually turned off the voices because they practically hurt.

The battle system was weird, but I struggled through anyway.

All the way until fighting Giacomo and his two goons. At that point, I simply could not beat the guy, and I had commited the greivous error of saving over my previous file. I tried every day for a month to no avail until giving up and selling the game.

A few weeks ago I got a powerful urge to play it despite no longer having it... but if I ever buy it from a bargain bin, I'd only be playing with a walkthrough to ensure I get the most powerful cards possible.

InnerRise
Yeah, those battles were hard. And you had to fight all 3 of them at the same time, more than once.

It was too the point where I wasn't sure if I could defeat them either, but I simply would get lucky and get the right cards and by the thread of a silk dress that has been ripped, I won. There was no guarantee that if you told me to fight them again that I would win.

I don't know how I did it sometimes. But overall, the games difficulty level was kind of lower than expected. I fought many bosses with ease. You had to fight Malpercio more than once at the end, and I didn't lose once. So that's saying something. The card battle and everything else made the game much easier than I expected.

InnerRise
I'm really frustrated with this game ahora mismo.

So I picked it back up after a long hiatus and I get to the 2nd Disc and right off the bat is this ridiculously hard batte with this giant bird and it's 2 chicks, which it immediately lays another egg and it hatches into another chick once you beat a chick.

So yeah. There's no chance to go around and level up or anything.

ugh.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Kero_Co
I beat that part, but I died at least ate times. I did the fiery Ice queen thing they bragged about on gamefaqs. I'm at the last boss and there is something I should have done earlier but It won't let me go back. I think the Holoholo bird is second most annoying thing in the game.

InnerRise
Yeah, I figured this bird must have been like a boss they put in just to have at leat one overly challenging battle or something and hopefully the rest hear on out won't be this way. But I've put the game away for now.

It seems impossible ahora mismo to beat it.

What "Fiery Ice Queen" thing?

Kero_Co
Fiery Ice Queen is Guillo's attack
1+2+3+Ice fan + Sigil Cry + Empyreal Wildfire

It attacks all three at once and if I'm not mistaking, kills the chicks instantly....sometimes..

InnerRise
Soo.......is that a card combination or something? The name of cards?

Does something happen or does Guillo just do each attack as normal?

Kero_Co
It's a card combination, when you meter fills up to five and you press Y. The title will appear on screen. It looks like she does each attack as normal, but the background changes, I think to a bluish-purple.

InnerRise
OH!

You see. I've been noticing that appear on screen when I let the meter build up, but I don't know what to do and it just goes away and nothing happens.

Explain exactly what is supposed to be done when that happens.

Maybe then I can beat the bird b/c I haven't been using that "Y" thing at all this whole time.

Kero_Co

InnerRise
Oh ok, so you're referring to those Special Move Cards with levels I and II and III and IV and so forth and those will just be free.

But it seems the time goes by so fast and I don't get time to do anything.

Perhaps it autmatically stops if you choose a card that doesn't use MP?

If so that would mean you'd have to keep a bunch of MP cards in your hand and save them up for the burst.

Can the players use each others special move cards or just their own, b/c even if I let it build up, there's no guarantee that I'll have many if any of a specific character's special move cards since they all share the same deck.

Kero_Co
Every time you select a card you'll get more time and it stops if you use an item card or you can't chain anything else together. The player can use other player cards if their turn is immediately next and they have a 1 card. It would be like this:
Guillo: 1+2+3+I+II+III
then if you have a one you can chain it with the next immediate party member.
Sagi:1+2+3+I+II
The attack would take place on the same turn so it would be like
1+2+3+I+II+III+1+2+3+I+II

I didn't have to worry about getting the right cards normally because the spirit will give you the cards you need to complete the combo.

InnerRise
Ok Thanks.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Guilty Gear
Originally posted by InnerRise
is it comprehensible..... Originally posted by InnerRise
anata wa wakarimasu ka..... 131

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.