Why Stormtroopers Suck at Aiming...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
I was playing the demo to Jedi Outcast and I dashed to the shield generator thingy (the big shaft area). I opened the door but I didn't go out of it, because the stormtroopers started talking.

Stormtrooper1: blah blah blah (something about their blasters sucking)
Stormtrooper1: Once you use a blaster carbine you never want to go back.
Stormtrooper2: What's the difference?
Stormtrooper1: It's all in the kick back. Once you fire it throws off your aim, and then you have a hole blasted through your armor.
Stormtrooper2: Well, we're far from the Core Worlds (the New Republic), so I doubt their will be little resistance.
Stormtrooper1: Keep talkin like that and you'll be the first one down when the fighting starts.

*stormtrooper1 walks away and I run out and push Stormtrooper2 into the shaft with Force push and then continue with the game laughing out loud *

So that's why they can't aim for beans: their guns have a hard kickback!

Dexx
i liked JK2...the AI's not that bad. I finished it. I usually like to mind trick one of the troopers and force grip the other, then the next one when he wakes up big grin .....or cut'em dow.....too bad they don't show cuts that well, only arms and leggs. I want head and body baby, yeah!

mah
there's a code for that

Dexx
yeah i know.....but i'm 70% lazy..... big grin

LanceWindu
laughing out loud

The code's real easy.

Just open up the console.

Then press: SaberRealisticCombat 1

I think.

Dexx
eh, goog, thx

Julie
well if storm troopers could aim...the good guys would have a harder time of staying alive.

Corran
Lack of proper training due to the overconfidence of the Empire that a resistance moment could not cause any problems. IMHO.

Fire
think corran is right, just like those damn tie's you shoot them and they're caput, instead of givin' them shields

Ushgarak
Only by ROTJ. And it is only in computer games where shioelds on fighters offer any serious protection.

In ANH, the TIE Fighters are easily the equal of the X-Wings and the shields don't seem to do the Rebels any favours.

Fire
idd tho they seem to help the falcon pretty well

Captain REX
And how much bigger and upgraded is the Falcon than an X-Wing? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fire
idd but how much bigger and upgraded is a star destroyer vs a tie fighter

LanceWindu
No...a Super Star Destroyer!

Fire
well yea there prolly also is a super star destroyer in the scene, but all so a few star destroyers

Julie
and....

Ushgarak
Err... isn't the TIE Figher/Star Destroyer comparison completely irrelevant?

Fire
I'll try to explain it

1) rebels: VS Empire:
X-wing VS Tie-fighter

2) rebels: VS Empire:
Falcon (more advanced shields) VS Star destroyer (more guns so more hits)

that was why I compared the two,
I mean that the shields do make a difference, on the falcon, and not only against Tie-Fighters

yerssot
what about a Calamari Cruiser? they have shields too!

Fire
could be, but dunno if those have any effect, haven't seen it in a movie I think

yerssot
the cruiser?

Fire
****, I have seen the cruisers I just haven't seen their shields, usualy they flicker when they get hit, but never seen it, only cruisers I've seen are the few 2 I think there are in the battle of endor

Ushgarak
Ship shields in Star Wars have NEVER been seen to flicker when hit.

And the 'more guns so more hits' logic is bad; the Falcon would be much harder to hit from a fixed platform like a Star Destroyer. The TIEs scored far more hits, but presumably with lower calibre guns. It all evens out.

The Millenium Falcon seemed to be abl to take hits, for sure. Fighters do not; the shields seem to provide only slight protection. But all the computer games have the shields being very strong, hence this unfair perception of TIEs as being crap. I still blame ROTJ.

Julie
but WHY???

Captain REX
Ush, thank you for the speech. big grin

Well, the video games are supposed to be fun and exciting, not frustrating because your shields are the wimpiest things in the world. That's why Kyle has a shield in Jedi Outcast, although in the Star Wars stuff I've read about personal shielding, it says that it has ill effects, such as scorched skin.

Ushgarak
You know, I think they should be brave enough to dump the shield in Jedi Knight games. You should do it like a Jedi does and use a sabre for all your protection.

And Rex, there was still plenty of fun to be had in the game TIE Fighter (BRILLIANT game!) flying highly manoeuvrable ships, even though they fell apart in seconds. It was only annoying that your targets did NOT fall apart in seconds! It can be done.

But the whole strong shield fallacy started with the prequel to that game, X-Wing. WHich made the X-Wing miles better than the TIE Fighter just so the players could get high scores, like 30 in one mission (still a classic game, though- even though you couldn;t miss the exhaust port even if you were blind).

Which in turn, I think, goes back to the EU perception that TIEs were crap because they don't have shields, and people were thinking of shields too much in Star Trek terms instead of actually watching the films and seeing how much good those shields did.

Note that no Star Wars fighter combat game has ever had guns that track their target instead of just firing forwards, even though from ANH onwards the guns have always directed themselves (I always assumed those lovely little target displays from ANH were these guns locking on).

People just don't WATCH the things they are making games out of...

yerssot
hey! the only weapon I use is the lightsabre! well... if I don't have it, it's a gun of course

Julie
and what if you don't have either one of them?

yerssot
you always have at least a blaster
but really, only sabres for me, much easier!

Julie
yes, but not at range.....Someone could shoot you in the back and you wouldn't know what even hit you.

yerssot
you're a knight! you have an evil-sensor wink
and you can block those shots and redirect them to the agressor

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) You'd just better hope so or your fried

yerssot
you always have your shield in case you're slow

Julie
you always have some kind of answer don't you? A lightsaber is a lovely weapon, but don't overrate anything's usefulness

yerssot
of course I have, I'm programmed for that

Julie
is it your primary function....or just a fluke program wink

yerssot
primary function, Raz programmed me to boost the postcount here

Julie
Well he did quite a commendable job at that roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
well, yes, he was quite pleased, till I went "out of control" according to him

Fire
well a lightsabre imo is the most awesome weapon ever invented

Corran
Indeed and "not as clumsy as a blaster".

Julie
(actually neither one has been "invented" yet)...but who cares about logic....I totally agree...I want a lightsaber smile sad big grin

Fire
sorry ush have to disagree: if u have star wars rogue squadron, u will see that the Y-wing his ion cannon follows the fighters u are trying to shoot with (it still sucks with aiming but it follows)
and I also have the feeling that those A-wing guns follow their target

btw don't buy rogue squadron sucky game very sucky game

mah
its a good game. 1 or 2?

Fire
I dunno I disliked that u didn't have one combat in space

Ushgarak
But that Ion gun is on a TURRET! You may as well say the guns on the Millenium Falcon can fire directionally. Well, d'uh!

It's the forward facing main weapons on the main fighter craft we see that is the important thing here; they track in the films but not in games.

Fire
yea maybe that's true, tho still not sure about the A-wings

Ushgarak
Well, it would be nice if they HAVE done it the once.

It's less noticable (though still present) in ROTJ. But watch the TIE Fighters shooting in the trench in ANH. They are almost firing diagonally.

Makes sense after all; what would they need the lock-ons for if they could only fire straight?

Julie
umm they wouldn't big grin

Ushgarak
Exactly!

Julie
yea!! I got one right!

Fire
lol

Dark Lord Djas
Hate to change the subject but the code for Jedi Outcast is saberrealisticcombat x in place of the x put a number 1-20, 20 being the highest which will make it so when you run up to someone with the lightsaber the fall apart

Dark Lord Djas
Also if you want to make it so you only have to hit a key to use it, suppose it was the t key and you wanted it to be the highest you would type bind t saberrealisticcombat 20

finti
well change the subject back again, the empires lack of aiming skill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.