Would Darth Maul become as strong as Mace had he lived?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Kreiger
Qui-Gon was stated at the time of TPM, being on par with Mace, Maul was much stronger than Qui-Gon as we know, so could he have become as strong, or even stronger than Mace?

Blax X
Qui-Gon was never on par with Mace, Im pretty sure. And I think it was stated somewere that maul had basicly reached his peak.

Tangible God
I've read many times that Maul didn't win out of superior skill or strength or power, but because his style was better suited to their environment than Qui-Gon's.

Nikkolas
I remember hearing Qui-Gon was a superb duelists, only below Mace in skill. I know I've read it but I won't even use it as any sort of truth or fact because the EU has shaken my faith ever since i read Enemy LINES AND HOW Kyp was "stronger" than Luke. Authors make terrible, terrible mistakes and the author who states Qui-Gon being only barely below Mace is wrong. I would say he's above Maul in skill and power but not anywhere near as good as Mace.

Tangible God
Ditto.

Kotor Kicks A$$
Maul was at his peak yes but so was Qui Gon,
Also Qui gon was not near as strong or wise as mace, why do think he didnt make it on the council smokin'

Council#13
Originally posted by Kotor Kicks A$$
Also Qui gon was not near as strong or wise as mace, why do think he didnt make it on the council smokin'

Qui-Gon was not at his peak at the time of TPM. He was past his prime.
Qui-Gon never made it onto the Council because of his maverick ideas, which he probably got from his master Dooku

Advent
Originally posted by Tangible God
I've read many times that Maul didn't win out of superior skill or strength or power, but because his style was better suited to their environment than Qui-Gon's.

Qui-Gon lost because Maul was a better duelist, and he was younger/faster/stronger. That's a part of the reason TPM Kenobi didn't die in seconds (aside from the fact he was attacking like a madman, which surprised Maul), as the novelization goes on to say that even though Obi-Wan didn't have the experience that Qui-Gon had, he was much quicker, and because of that he was able to anticipate Maul's moves.

Anyways, Maul > Qui-Gon.

"But on this day, he had met his match. The Sith Lord he battled with Obi - Wan was more than his equal in weapons training, and he had the advantage of being younger and stronger."

You can obviously tell by "weapons training" it means dueling skill because there is no way that Maul had trained longer. There's also the fact that Maul was able to beat the shit out of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time, and their best efforts at attacking weren't enough. Maul is simply better. I've never heard the whole lightsaber bit mentioned except by members.

Council#13
Originally posted by Advent
Qui-Gon lost because Maul was a better duelist, and he was younger/faster/stronger. That's a part of the reason TPM Kenobi didn't die in seconds (aside from the fact he was attacking like a madman, which surprised Maul), as the novelization goes on to say that even though Obi-Wan didn't have the experience that Qui-Gon had, he was much quicker, and because of that he was able to anticipate Maul's moves.

Anyways, Maul > Qui-Gon.

"But on this day, he had met his match. The Sith Lord he battled with Obi - Wan was more than his equal in weapons training, and he had the advantage of being younger and stronger."

You can obviously tell by "weapons training" it means dueling skill because there is no way that Maul had trained longer. There's also the fact that Maul was able to beat the shit out of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time, and their best efforts at attacking weren't enough. Maul is simply better. I've never heard the whole lightsaber bit mentioned except by members.

That lightsaber bit is simply logic. Also, he didn't "beat the shit" out of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. He did do quite well against them though. I'll agree with the fact that Maul's being faster, younger, and the better duelist at the time had something to do with it.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Kotor Kicks A$$

Qui-Gon was like Dooku. They both defied the council a LOT and because of that neither of them could be on the council.

I'd say Qui-Gon mainly lost because he got tired. I mean Maul has to be in his 20s against a dude in his 50s or 60s. Maul has the stamina to go on fighting a lot longer than Qui-Gon did. That's (I believe) is the reason Darth Maul was able to take down Qui-Gon Jinn.

Advent
Originally posted by Council#13
That lightsaber bit is simply logic.

Great explanation. I mean, Qui-Gon is at a disadvantage for whatever reason, but somehow Maul, who uses a double-bladed lightsaber (which is obviously double plus the size of a normal saber) and does far more acrobatics than Qui-Gon's use of Ataru did, wasn't. Yep! It's obvious Qui-Gon's lightsaber form had absolutely zero effect on the outcome. We already know in open space, his best attacks were useless - even combined with Obi-Wan's.

Ataru, if anything, only needs room for the fancy acrobatics, and Qui-Gon doesn't use Ataru in that way. It's also ridiculous to assume Qui-Gon lost because he needed room, but a) there's no mention of that anywhere, and b) Obi-Wan was able to contend while using Ataru. So, how's that "simply logic"? Where the hell is the logic? There's also the fact the TPM novelization states that Qui-Gon was deliberately engaging in close-quarter combat. You were saying?

@ ESB:

Qui-Gon wasn't even tired when he started his one on one with Maul, in fact, he'd been fighting more intensely than ever before. From the novelization and the script as well:

"It appeared that the Jedi Master would. He had found a fresh reserve of strength during his meditation, and now he was attacking with a ferocity that seemed to have the Sith Lord stymied."

"When the wall between QUI-GON and DARTH MAUL opens, QUI-GON is in a split second fighting the DARK LORD with a ferocity not seen before."

Qui-Gon lost because Maul was his superior. Period. Maul was simply better, there were no tricks, no luck, etc. And this is a Qui-Gon that was described as having a "fresh reserve of strength" and fighting fiercely and intensely to his best.

Council#13
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Qui-Gon was like Dooku. They both defied the council a LOT and because of that neither of them could be on the council.

I'd say Qui-Gon mainly lost because he got tired. I mean Maul has to be in his 20s against a dude in his 50s or 60s. Maul has the stamina to go on fighting a lot longer than Qui-Gon did. That's (I believe) is the reason Darth Maul was able to take down Qui-Gon Jinn.

You're saying they defied the Council because they were jealous that they weren't on it? "Master, if you'd just listen to the Council, you'd be on it!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi, TPM

Originally posted by Advent
Great explanation. I mean, Qui-Gon is at a disadvantage for whatever reason, but somehow Maul, who uses a double-bladed lightsaber (which is obviously double plus the size of a normal saber) and does far more acrobatics than Qui-Gon's use of Ataru did, wasn't. Yep! It's obvious Qui-Gon's lightsaber form had absolutely zero effect on the outcome. We already know in open space, his best attacks were useless - even combined with Obi-Wan's.

Ataru, if anything, only needs room for the fancy acrobatics, and Qui-Gon doesn't use Ataru in that way. It's also ridiculous to assume Qui-Gon lost because he needed room, but a) there's no mention of that anywhere, and b) Obi-Wan was able to contend while using Ataru. So, how's that "simply logic"? Where the hell is the logic? There's also the fact the TPM novelization states that Qui-Gon was deliberately engaging in close-quarter combat. You were saying?

@ ESB:

Qui-Gon wasn't even tired when he started his one on one with Maul, in fact, he'd been fighting more intensely than ever before. From the novelization and the script as well:

"It appeared that the Jedi Master would. He had found a fresh reserve of strength during his meditation, and now he was attacking with a ferocity that seemed to have the Sith Lord stymied."

"When the wall between QUI-GON and DARTH MAUL opens, QUI-GON is in a split second fighting the DARK LORD with a ferocity not seen before."

Qui-Gon lost because Maul was his superior. Period. Maul was simply better, there were no tricks, no luck, etc. And this is a Qui-Gon that was described as having a "fresh reserve of strength" and fighting fiercely and intensely to his best.

You put up a very good argument. One that I have to response to. no expression But I still win Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.