Better Endings For Movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Tired Hiker-
Ever see a good movie that could have ended better? I have. Here's where you can post how a movie COULD have ended and as a result, it would have been a better movie.

For instance:

Hard Candy - Intriguing and disturbing this film. What happened was A perverted man seduces a 14year old off the Internet to come to his house, unaware that she is actually plotting revenge for all the kids who were taken advantage of, be it killed, raped, etc. over the Internet by him. She pretends to cut off his balls, and eventually forces him to hang himself out of guilt.

What should have happened is She should have REALLY cut off his balls, he ends up innocent of any crime she accused him of, then as she leaves him bleeding to death in his house, she goes outside to take a cab home, where the creepy Asian woman next door, being the real murderer, kidnaps the girl and kills her. This would have meant that the guy was innocent all along, got his balls cut off for no reason, and his sicko neighbor used him to get these girls, while he was completely unaware of her using him!!! That would have been a better ending IMO. smile

WrathfulDwarf
Land of the Dead:

Original Ending: The group of humans drives away into unknown territories and the zombies go into another direction

Better Ending: Everyone friggin gets eaten by the zombies. Even Argento's daughter. Thus setting the pace for the next installment Planet of the Dead.

Damn you Romero!

BackFire
That woulda been a pretty sweet ending, WD. I think the reason it didn't have an ending like that was because Romero didn't know if the film would make a profit and as a result he didn't know if he'd be able to make a follow up.

TH, that ending would be neat as a novelty, but it would have disrupted the whole flow of Hard Candy, it's a bit over the top and extreme when compared to the somber and quietly eerie pace of Hard Candy.

ADarksideJedi
In the movie "Mrs Doubtfire" the mom should had remarried the dad giving it a unrelisic ending but a happy one.I hate how that movie ended.jm

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Fight Club alternate ending:

They're not the same person.

I know a lot of people loved the ending, but I thought it was a cop-out.

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by -Tired Hiker-
Ever see a good movie that could have ended better? I have. Here's where you can post how a movie COULD have ended and as a result, it would have been a better movie.

For instance:

Hard Candy - Intriguing and disturbing this film. What happened was A perverted man seduces a 14year old off the Internet to come to his house, unaware that she is actually plotting revenge for all the kids who were taken advantage of, be it killed, raped, etc. over the Internet by him. She pretends to cut off his balls, and eventually forces him to hang himself out of guilt.

What should have happened is She should have REALLY cut off his balls, he ends up innocent of any crime she accused him of, then as she leaves him bleeding to death in his house, she goes outside to take a cab home, where the creepy Asian woman next door, being the real murderer, kidnaps the girl and kills her. This would have meant that the guy was innocent all along, got his balls cut off for no reason, and his sicko neighbor used him to get these girls, while he was completely unaware of her using him!!! That would have been a better ending IMO. smile

I agree. I was enjoying the film thinking it was leading to something really good but it turned out that he was actually a paedophile and then he killed himself. I thought he wasn't actually going to be a paedophile, and I agree that it should have ended that way. The way it did end seemed a bit pointless because throughout the film she was trying to force it out of him, and then she did.

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Thats how it was in the book, thats the main twist of the story. So you couldn't change that at all...
And it was alluded too and forshadowed the entire movie, so I think it works fine.

BackFire

I agree, it was another lazy twist for the sake of "bet you didn't see that comming" as opposed to having the twist be organic and relevant. I like Fight Club, but it's such an over rated movie. Every little 17 year old thinks it's the most brilliant film ever made because they punch eachother AND it makes a hamfisted statement about society. Oooooooh wow.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
I agree, it was another lazy twist for the sake of "bet you didn't see that comming" as opposed to having the twist be organic and relevant. I like Fight Club, but it's such an over rated movie. Every little 17 year old thinks it's the most brilliant film ever made because they punch eachother AND it makes a hamfisted statement about society. Oooooooh wow.

I am just three years late.

Wolfie
The Matrix Revolutions:

The humans find some huge thing that wipes out most of the machines. The machines are left as scarce as the humans are. The humans feel they've won the war. But then they realize that they will never win. The Matrix will always be around. There are way too many people to free one-by-one. And the code is too complicated to ever be able to crack.

BackFire
I have a better ending for the Matrix films:

If the series just ended after the first film.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Thats how it was in the book, thats the main twist of the story. So you couldn't change that at all...
And it was alluded too and forshadowed the entire movie, so I think it works fine.
I couldn't change it? Huh? You see that first post in this thread? Go read it. Palahniuk is a gimicky author anyway...

Yeah, I completely agree. When I first saw the movie, I enjoyed it all the way up to the revelation scene, then I just felt let-down by the banality of it.

I have a better ending for the Matrix films:

If the series just ended after the first film.
Oh, that would have been perfect. Other than that, they could have just made sequels that were good.

Solo
thumb up

TheKingofKINGS!
Let's go with Armegeddon.

Instead of Everyone going to the rock, some people dying, and Harry sacrificing himself to save the world.

It should've gone like this: Harry's sacrifice would've been seconds late, and despite their efforts, the world ends, and blah.

I hate cliche's. But Armegeddon was a good movie.

BackFire
Here's one: The Village

Instead of there not being monsters, and them being in present day, there ARE monsters, and it makes the movie cool. They can keep it in present day as to make their silly point about post 9/11 America and such and such, don't really care. When there's a movie about monsters living in the woods, I actually want monsters, not a retarded guy.

Another - High Tension:

Drop the split personality BS, make the killer a real guy, another ****ing copout.

Yet another, oh I'm on a roll - A.I.:

Bring Kubrick back to life and have him make the movie as he invisioned it, Spielberg is too big a pussy to make a dark, Kubrick movie. Okay, that isn't really about the ending, but still, it would kick ass.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Here's one: The Village

Instead of there not being monsters, and them being in present day, there ARE monsters, and it makes the movie cool. They can keep it in present day as to make their silly point about post 9/11 America and such and such, don't really care. When there's a movie about monsters living in the woods, I actually want monsters, not a retarded guy.

Another - High Tension:

Drop the split personality BS, make the killer a real guy, another ****ing copout.

Yet another, oh I'm on a roll - A.I.:

Bring Kubrick back to life and have him make the movie as he invisioned it, Spielberg is too big a pussy to make a dark, Kubrick movie. Okay, that isn't really about the ending, but still, it would kick ass.

If you were a lady with pert boobs, I'd marry you. Actually, you almost make me want to turn gay. If being gay, was a choice that is...

BackFire
Don't let the fact that I'm a man fool you, I have very pert boobs.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are we talking about in cup size?

Impediment

I'd have loved Fight Club infinitely more they had used the actual ending from the novel where Marla and all of the sick people from the support groups make an intervention with Tyler/The Narrator when he is about to demolish the buildings. Then none of Tyler's explosives explode because he used parrafin. Then the Narrator "kills" Tyler and end up in a psyciatric hospital for the criminally insane where he talks to "God" (his shrink) and Project Mayhem is still funtional, but it is 180'd into making the world a better place. I still love the movie, though. I thought that it was well done, despite the ending.

Same thing with Freddy vs. Jason. Say what you will, but I love this movie. The last 10 seconds of the movie, however, piss me off every time I see it. Jason emerges victorious from Crystal Lake holding Freddy's decapitated head, yet Freddy's head winks at you and laughs. thumb down It would have been so much better if he hadn't have winked.

allofyousuckkk
in pokemon the movie ash let mew and mewtwo go free, but he should have caught them and used them to become the best trainer ever ever

i couldnt thin of a good one

-Tired Hiker-
TH, that ending would be neat as a novelty, but it would have disrupted the whole flow of Hard Candy, it's a bit over the top and extreme when compared to the somber and quietly eerie pace of Hard Candy.

It wasn't extreme, the way I envisioned it. The movie as is, is over the top if you think about it. It's the way the film is made that makes it somber, quietly eerie.

-Tired Hiker-
Tank Girl - The movie should have ended as soon as it began. On the way out of the theatre the clerk should have slapped me for seeing it, while giving me my money back.

BackFire
It wasn't extreme, the way I envisioned it. The movie as is, is over the top if you think about it. It's the way the film is made that makes it somber, quietly eerie.

Nah, having the neighbor be the real killer is way too wacky for the flow of the movie. Not to mention it would be another "haha, gotcha!" endings which don't really have anything to do with the point of the movie.

-Vanish-
Tank Girl - The movie should have ended as soon as it began. On the way out of the theatre the clerk should have slapped me for seeing it, while giving me my money back.

Tank Girl, that movie is the definition of lame.

Mr Parker
Empire strikes back was kinda dissapointing the way it ended.You didnt know what had happened to Han,if he was going to be alright or what the way it all ended.It would have been even much better if they had ended it all rescuing him from tatoonie and he is in the ship and they are wondering if he will recover from the freeze machine and end it like they did showing the ships floating off in space like they did.Empire was always dissapointing to me in that way which is why I always liked A NEW HOPE the best of the original trilogy.

-Tired Hiker-
Nah, having the neighbor be the real killer is way too wacky for the flow of the movie. Not to mention it would be another "haha, gotcha!" endings which don't really have anything to do with the point of the movie.

Nah, it would not have been anymore wacky than pretending to cut off someone's balls, plus the neighbor came over to see if the girl would babysit her kids, which is what led me to think she was going to be the murderer in the first place. I think it would have been a way better ending.

amity75
Shawshank Redemption - It was all just a story concocted in Red's head.

BackFire
Nah, it would not have been anymore wacky than pretending to cut off someone's balls, plus the neighbor came over to see if the girl would babysit her kids, which is what led me to think she was going to be the murderer in the first place. I think it would have been a way better ending.

Well, that would have been an interesting implication - "If a woman comes looking for a babysitter, she's a murderer." I'm sold.

The false castration wasn't that wacky, it was mental torture, it was her goal. What happens later on is made worse by the fact that he wasn't casterated after all.

Like I said, it would be kinda neat as a novelty, that ending you suggest, but it would be pointless and systematically alter the entire theme and point of the movie, while not really adding much besides a "Oh, well that was kinda surprising, I guess" ending.

-Tired Hiker-
Well, that would have been an interesting implication - "If a woman comes looking for a babysitter, she's a murderer." I'm sold.

The false castration wasn't that wacky, it was mental torture, it was her goal. What happens later on is made worse by the fact that he wasn't casterated after all.

Like I said, it would be kinda neat as a novelty, that ending you suggest, but it would be pointless and systematically alter the entire theme and point of the movie, while not really adding much besides a "Oh, well that was kinda surprising, I guess" ending.

""Well, that would have been an interesting implication - "If a woman comes looking for a babysitter, she's a murderer." I'm sold.""

. . . . Not quite what I was implying, otherwise I would have been up in arms over 'Adventures In Babysitting', or 'Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.'

'Hard Candy' was based on how people you meet over the Internet may not be what they seem. First off, the guy was a potential threat from the very beginning. What kind of thirty-something guy takes home a 14 year old girl? Second, we learn the girl is not what she seems, she has thought out her actions way before the very start. But we never really know if the guy is guilty or not until he finally kills himself. The theme that you speak of would have existed until the very end, even if we did or didn't discover the neighbor was to blame. I do respect your 'novelty' throw out, something new and unique is always welcome in my eyes, as long as it works. I think it would have worked for this film, but it is what it is.

BackFire
To be fair, 'Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead' did deal with someone dying, so maybe there is some truth to the idea of babysitting results in death.

See, the thing is that ending wouldn't have been unique, all movies, particularly thrillers, seem to force themselves to have some surprise twist ending, with little value beyond simple shock. The ending you suggest strikes me as falling into that catagory. Beyond being kinda surprising, what would it add? In fact, the current ending is actually quite unique in that it didn't try and have some mind blowing twist to rely on, it just had a coherent ending that went with the tone and flow of the movie.

Your ending would also result in many questions such as 'why did the neighbor kill that girl to begin with?' or 'why did the girl think her neighbor killed her?" Where did she get the information that this man was actually involved in the murder, since in the film the only reason she finds him is because his partner in crime ratted him out."

Though, one thing is true, it probably would have been a bit better had she actually castrated him.

-Tired Hiker-
To be fair, 'Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead' did deal with someone dying, so maybe there is some truth to the idea of babysitting results in death.

See, the thing is that ending wouldn't have been unique, all movies, particularly thrillers, seem to force themselves to have some surprise twist ending, with little value beyond simple shock. The ending you suggest strikes me as falling into that catagory. Beyond being kinda surprising, what would it add? In fact, the current ending is actually quite unique in that it didn't try and have some mind blowing twist to rely on, it just had a coherent ending that went with the tone and flow of the movie.

Your ending would also result in many questions such as 'why did the neighbor kill that girl to begin with?' or 'why did the girl think her neighbor killed her?" Where did she get the information that this man was actually involved in the murder, since in the film the only reason she finds him is because his partner in crime ratted him out."

Though, one thing is true, it probably would have been a bit better had she actually castrated him.

Okay, so we sort of meet half way. And another thing I gotta admit, fearing that I will be chastised for this is that . . . . damn, that fourteen year old chick was friggin' hot!!

BackFire
haha, she's actually like 18 or something, I was amazed at how young they made her look. She did have a good body, kinda a boyish haircut though.

-Tired Hiker-
kinda a boyish haircut though.

Well, now I feel even more perverted. confused

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by amity75
Shawshank Redemption - It was all just a story concocted in Red's head.

Oh, that's just an absolutely awful idea.

-Tired Hiker-
Oh, that's just an absolutely awful idea. laughing

Mr Parker
another movie I am going to add to that list is The Wickerman which I just saw yesterday.Man dont go see this movie.It was all exciting and very interesting and I was really enjoying the film but the way the whole thing ended just ruined the whole movie for me and it was a wasted two hours of my time.They should have wrote it so that when he used his cellular phone and that he could not reach them that it made the police get concerned about him and it should have shown the police coming in at just the nick of time to rescue him.ANYTHING but the way it ended.That just ruined the whole film.It was the most dissapointing and worst movie I have seen the whole year. mad

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Empire strikes back was kinda dissapointing the way it ended.You didnt know what had happened to Han,if he was going to be alright or what the way it all ended.It would have been even much better if they had ended it all rescuing him from tatoonie and he is in the ship and they are wondering if he will recover from the freeze machine and end it like they did showing the ships floating off in space like they did.Empire was always dissapointing to me in that way which is why I always liked A NEW HOPE the best of the original trilogy.

Yeah but thats the way its meant to be...a true cliffhanger based on Lucas love for the old serials he watched as a kid it sets everything up nicely for another movie
I like the fact that Lando and Chewie are about to set off to look for Han and Luke says hell meet them on Tatooine
as a kid it got me well revved up for the one
shame about the three year wait though

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Mr Parker
another movie I am going to add to that list is The Wickerman which I just saw yesterday.Man dont go see this movie.It was all exciting and very interesting and I was really enjoying the film but the way the whole thing ended just ruined the whole movie for me and it was a wasted two hours of my time.They should have wrote it so that when he used his cellular phone and that he could not reach them that it made the police get concerned about him and it should have shown the police coming in at just the nick of time to rescue him.ANYTHING but the way it ended.That just ruined the whole film.It was the most dissapointing and worst movie I have seen the whole year. mad

watch the Original Wickerman MR P...guess the new director wasnt allowed to f**k with the iconic ending..its a shame he was allowed to remake the movie in the first place
it is a classic(the original) and everyone thought the remake was a bad idea and it looks like everyone was right

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Yeah but thats the way its meant to be...a true cliffhanger based on Lucas love for the old serials he watched as a kid it sets everything up nicely for another movie
I like the fact that Lando and Chewie are about to set off to look for Han and Luke says hell meet them on Tatooine
as a kid it got me well revved up for the one
shame about the three year wait though

For me,its a shame that Jedi was such a dissapointing movie and not at all a masterpiece or great film like the previous two. mad

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vintageSW77
watch the Original Wickerman MR P...guess the new director wasnt allowed to f**k with the iconic ending..its a shame he was allowed to remake the movie in the first place
it is a classic(the original) and everyone thought the remake was a bad idea and it looks like everyone was right

when I was watching it,I said to myself-If this is how the original ended,I am for sure not going to see it.so are you saying that the way it ended in the book-I saw that it was taken from a book from the beginning credits on the screen,are you saying that the book had it end the way it did in the new version where in the original,it did NOT end that way with the main character having to eat it in the end? Yeah it was definetely a bad idea for a remake.I will have to rent the original.At least this time if I dont like it,I wont have wasted any money. madOnly my time.

vintageSW77
Sgt Howie in the original buys it in the end...hes toast....it is one of the greatest movie endings ever and if they ever do a list of movie endings it would certainly be up there.
Its so dark...i love films that kill off the main character at the end-Open Water,Looking for Mr Goodbar for example....its so f*****d!!!

Mr Parker
well since he buys it at the end as well sounds just as bad as the new remake.I have seen a few people post on my wickerman thread that they didnt want to see the remake because they didnt even like the original so the original sounds pretty bad as well but I'll still give it a chance since like i said,at least this time if I hate the original as well then I will only have wasted my time instead of both my time AND money.

vintageSW77
well maybe you should stay clear

Mr Parker
Yeah I think I will.btw,will you post something on my wickerman thread about your thoughts about the orginal wickerman movie?

vintageSW77
Yip will do

RZA
The Game - somewhere along this movie, the plot should have shifted and the movie shouldn't really have been about an actual game at all

When the movie finally ended I was like you gotta be ****in kidding me. What a waste of time.

The ending to the Village was horrible. Another film that made you feel cheated at the end for wasting your time watching it.

There's more. I'll post them later.

Röland
Agree with the Village, when I went to see it in theaters people actually LAUGHED during some parts. I mean come on if you make a horror movie and people laugh at it, you messed up.

Would have been way better if the ending was the monsters were really monsters.

RZA
^
In the words of M. Night Shyamalan...

'What a twist!'

Council#13
Da Vinci Code

Tom Hanks kneels down, and it goes down to the tomb of Mary Magdelene. When they finally get to her face, the stone eyes.... OPEN shock

Poo Face
Raiders Of The Lost Ark - It would have been better in the end if when they opened the ark, C3-P0 popped out and took a crap in his hand and wiped it on that one guys face before it melted! laughing

Dusty
The Hunted: They both die

Council#13
LOTR- Return of the King

As the ship begins to sail away, the last thing you hear is Frodo screaming, "You promised not up there, Gandalf!" Then credits

LovelyOne
after what I found out about the end of Pirates of The caribbean 3?...they should have ended it better!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.